PDA

View Full Version : San Diego, Volunteer to help protect endangered birds

Cerulean
02-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Heya guys! So least week I was poking through The Reader (a local magazine) and saw an ad saying something about helping restore the native habitat of an area in mission bay by removing invasive plants. Because I wasnt doing anything on Valentines day I decided to show up and see what it was about. If anyone has a garden it was basically just weeding for a couple hours. If anyone plays animal crossing it was like you left your town for a few months and came back to it being overtaken by weeds.

Anyhow... they do this every weekend at different sites around the bay I think until April when the nesting season begins. The idea is to help out the California Least Tern by removing invasive plants that act as ground cover where they need there to be open sand to nest and lay eggs.

If anyones interested heres the info:

When - 9:30-12:30 am ; One day every weekend until April

http://www.sandiegoaudubon.org/ - The website of the society hosting event

hirt@sandeigoaudubon.org - Persons email, will give directions to site if needed (I was worried to email the person last week because I did it Friday night when the thing was Saturday morning but they didnt seem to mind at all)

Meronica
02-19-2015, 08:48 PM
Love the Animal Crossing analogy! For Orange County people, the wetlands in Huntington Beach need volunteers to do similar stuff as well! (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cerulean
02-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Got back a little while ago, it was so gratifying to see the space change so dramatically from before and after we were there. I was on the last boat off of the little island and it was a bit overloaded.... we ended up taking a small nosedive into the bay! Thank goodness thats all that happened and we didnt have to swim to shore heh

Yeah I love Animal Crossing and it really does remind me of it after a while. I hope a bunch of volunteers are able to show up on the orange county area Meronica :) What kind of bird or birds are there, do you know?