PDA

View Full Version : Mer Friendly Aquariums

LaNyah
02-25-2015, 09:01 AM
Hello,

I'm wondering if we can create a list of aquariums that not only offer a dive option / 'underwater encounter' to the public, but that are open to mermaids. Would anyone else be interested in this info?
Details would be helpful like: City, state, aquarium name, cost, mers at special times or standard times, rules, who to talk to, etc.

LaNyah

Ashton
02-25-2015, 12:34 PM
I was talking to a friend who has been working at an aquarium for over 20 years, and she said the best way to start that is to offer to volunteer (on a normal basis) and then get to know them more, and they get to know you. After a while you can offer a swimming mermaid experience. Since it is about the same with divers- if you have more than 50 recored dives you can volunteer.

LaNyah
02-26-2015, 12:10 PM
I am thinking of volunteering at my local aquarium as they do not have a dive program.
However, many aquariums around the country DO have public programs that allow you to swim with the sealife. I was hoping to put together a list of them including if people had already gone there with tails, what was their experience, etc.

mermaidopal
02-28-2015, 12:15 AM
I did a Swim with the Sharks program at the Adventure Aquarium in NJ and tbh, the rules on those are pretty strict. The water is cold enough to warrant a wetsuit in most tanks, so I don't think they would let you swim in your tail even if you purchased the experience as a member of the public. Probably just too much liability involved if you didn't know what you were doing.
I think Ashton has a good point. Volunteer with them, get to know the people, and then bring it up. Maybe volunteer with them and do dry events in your tail at the aquarium like mermaid meet and greets or story time. Also I would think that they would want you to either know free diving or be SCUBA certified to swim in the tanks. And have a fish-safe tail (no dangerous chemicals).

Sammyantha171
05-04-2015, 03:03 AM
Ohh, this would be so wonderful. I had such an amazing time last time I went to an aquarium, just sitting watching them, waiting for them to come near me, even if I was outside the tank.