PDA

View Full Version : Fluke Mold Thickness

Atlantisblue
02-25-2015, 01:17 PM
I started working on my clay fluke mold. I was wondering how thick I need to make it so that the plaster mold will form decently.

Lily
02-25-2015, 02:52 PM
I've heard that your mold should be at least 1" thicker than the highest point on your model, mostly so it's nice and strong and won't snap when you pull it apart. For plaster, you can use plaster bandages like these (http://www.amazon.com/Plaster-Gauze-4inchx15ft-Crafts-Bandage/dp/B000F5VHQQ) to reinforce your mold - just lay some strips in while the plaster is setting.

Edit: Oh, wait, that's not what you were asking. You mean how thick your clay should be, right? It's really a matter of taste, as plaster will form a nice mold around even really thin parts, particularly if you make it a nice thin milky consistency. You can even brush on your first layer of plaster (quickly!) to make sure you get it into all the tiniest details.

Atlantisblue
02-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Thanks Lily :) keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well *lol*. Working with clay is harder than I thought, especially trying to smooth it out

Ashton
02-25-2015, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't go over 1" thing on the thickest parts because them it becomes heavy. I made the mistake of that, and my my fluke is really heavy. You need to remember that the fluke thickness will be doubled since there is a back and a front- plus more for the monofin.

Atlantisblue
02-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Ya I think my sides are about 1/2 an inch to 3/4 inch in the clay so should be about 1 1/2-2 inches thick down the side...Trying to figure out the middle now

Ashton
02-25-2015, 06:28 PM
That sounds fine to me- as for the middle, just try and make sure it isn't to thin (less than 1/2") otherwise it might tare.