PDA

View Full Version : ECO TAIL OR MAGICTAIL? HELP!!!

LaWren
02-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Today I'm going to be getting my very first tail & I couldn't be more excited! But I am having trouble deciding between the eco tail by Mertailor Mermaid Tails By Eric Ducharme (https://www.facebook.com/mertailor) or the Magictail.de (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magictailde/408711999232439) . The Mertailor is renowned for making good tails but I've also read alot of happy reviews from MagicTail. The Mertailor tail comes in only blue or purple whereas the MagicTail comers in deep blue, turquoise, green, orange & purple. Both are roughly the same price, which should I pick???:confused::confused::confused:

Echidna
02-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Unless you prefer a colour Mertailor doesn't offer, I'd recommend the EcoTail, because you will have to factor in huge shipping costs and taxes for Magictail when you're in the US.

Yulia
02-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Also you get different monofins. I haven't tried the magictail one, but I guess the Finis Aquarius you get with the Eco tail could be better.

Winged Mermaid
02-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Also be sure to check out FinFun's new printed tails (MerMaidens I think they're called) as I believe they're cheaper and I have heard nothing but great things with their tails and company - plus they have a rainbow tail! Just a suggestion :)

Otherwise, cons to mermaidmagictail is shipping from Germany and their monofins have been known to crack or snap (though both them and FinFun are great at replacing them from what I've heard - great customer service). Other than that they've gotten great reviews and look realistic.

Cons for mertailor are he can be backed up and orders can be delayed, and customer service is very hit and miss. On the plus side if they use an actual finis fin they are more reliable than the polycarbonate fins from FinFun or magic tail.

Hope that helps! :)

PhaylennMurúch
02-27-2015, 03:58 PM
a friend on FB got an eco tail. when it showed up the tailskin itself was damaged/ not sewn well. She has tried to talk to eric about getting a replacement skin but he has ignored her.
On the other hand, Magictail colors seem to have consistency issues between what's pictured and what you get

I have a finfun and it's great. Customer service is amazing as well, you get a response lightning fast if you have an issue or question

MermaidAmestris
02-27-2015, 05:03 PM
I have no experience with either, but if you want one of the two (and this is one of the only times I'll ever say this) I suggest Mertailor. His customer service is typically abysmal and the quality is usually not the best, but he has also surprised us quite a few times by being great to a customer and giving them a fantastic product. Since he seems to be excited about the Eco Tails, I think/hope he will be acting better to people who order them. I would not suggest going with him for silicone, but I think the Eco Tails will be a better bet.

Magictail tails get holes very easily, the monofins snap very easily (although as Iona said above, they are pretty great at replacing them), the colors are heavily edited in the photos and do not look as good in real life, and I've also heard a lot of issues with the tails coloring rubbing off and turning white. The patterns look good, but not for very long. And of course, if you live in the US, the shipping costs and taxes are kinda gigantic.

That being said, if you are open to other options, definitely check out Finfun. The monofins aren't the best, but they are also great about replacing them, and I believe you could just get a Finis and cut it if you want. They come in more colors, you can get one with or without scale print, and if I recall correctly, they last a lot longer than Magictail. I haven't heard much about Mertailor's Eco Tails so I can't really use them in that comparison.

So in my opinion, the options in order of best to worst are Finfun, Mertailor, Magictail

Echidna
02-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Regarding the customer service of Magictail;
yes it used to be great, but they have become reluctant to replace monofins since they sell them separately in their shop.

At any rate, you would have to send back the broken one, resulting in even more shipping fees and taxes.
In the end it's going to cost more than the entire tail.

I'd definitely go with a maker in your country.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-28-2015, 03:52 AM
I'd go with Fin Fun. They have great customer service and also matching swimwear that's not just for little girls...

SeaMonkey
04-09-2015, 06:22 PM
i have 5 magictails and i love them. they come with matching bikini too. i have amertaiolr tail and id never buy another from him. it came out fine except he painted it wrong, but he is bad at customer service.