PDA

View Full Version : Lighthouse Island

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Did anyone else ever catch Lighthouse Island on Jim Henson's Hour? I don't want to spoil the ending (it is pretty heavily foreshadowed from the start), but the big reveal at the end is nice, and there is both a merman and a mermaid (not to mention a witch, magic slippers, and a pearl that allows one to shapeshift into monsters).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emog5Ql_Qp4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=5HfLhhebY7Y

Sorry about the commercials... that's the only version of Lighthouse Island I could find on Youtube... you can skip ahead to 2:00 on the second video to avoid the commercials that start it out.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-01-2011, 12:48 PM
And yes, both the quality of the youtube video and the acting are pretty awful, but still, when I was a kid, I desperately wanted those slippers (and perhaps the pearl as well)

Prince Calypso
02-12-2012, 06:55 AM
it was a cute little story. redone it could be a pretty good fantasy adventure flick "LightHouse Island"
the mermaid tails were prety cool too. wish i could see a still pic of them or something.

Mermaid Lorelei
02-13-2012, 08:29 PM
I love the fact that instead of the mermaid becoming a human, the guy turned into a merman. Much preferred, in my opinion.

malinghi
02-13-2012, 11:28 PM
I love the fact that instead of the mermaid becoming a human, the guy turned into a merman. Much preferred, in my opinion.

Yeah, I totally agree. I was actually thinking that the next time I got to a comic book convention I'd like to do a couples costume with someone as Ariel and prince Eric, but have them both as merpeople.

Mermaid Lorelei
02-14-2012, 11:07 AM
That would definitely be interesting malinghi!

Mermaid Photine
02-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Awwww. That's a cute story.

I can has magic slippers?

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
02-15-2012, 04:23 AM
The pearl of transformation reminds me of the Dream Pearl from Dragons of the Lost Sea, Dragon Steel, Dragon Cauldron, and Dragon War, all by Laurence Yep? It doesn't feature mermaids (to my knowledge), but does have a species of Marine dragons, variations on Chinese mythology, and a pearl belonging to the main character that allows her to become (and transform others) into anything she can imagine (and make illusions as well), except the Dream Pearl is used by the Protagonists instead of the antagonists.

I'm a bit confused, though... if the mermaids knew about the power of the slippers (despite Clara not knowing about it), and the shoes disappeared after they were used, how is that possible? Did the merfolk make the slippers to enable humans to join their numbers? Are magic slippers what made the first merfolk? Do the slippers teleport away after use, to find their way to someone else in love with the mermaids/mermen? Regardless, any of these ideas (which are overthought, I admit) might make some interesting story ideas.

Psychic Tideborn
02-15-2012, 05:12 AM
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie! I used to watch it a lot and wish I had those slippers! Thanks for bringing it back for me, I'm a little nostalgic right now!

Mermaid Photine
02-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Perhaps the slippers were made in small quantities, and this was just one pair, there being other pairs with similar looks and magical powers?

SweeteSiren
02-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Ack! A shrieking eel!!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
02-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Ack! A shrieking eel!!

In-con-CEI-Vable!