PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Mermaid tops? ^_^

Mermaid Saphira
12-01-2011, 04:16 PM
I was curious if anymer would care to explain to me how you but the fabric from your tail on a bra??
Thanx ^_^

Mermaid Photine
12-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Sew it on, probably by hand. I'm guessing it is stretchy. If you look at a bra, the fabric is stretched around the padding (unless there is none, in which case it is probably made up of several pieces to make it the proper shape). Pin a piece of material that you think will be more than enough onto the bra (stretch it a little), and sew it down. Tuck in or clip the extra. Done.

Also if this is not a dry tail, I'd recomend a synthetic fiber, not pure cotton thread, so that pool chemicals won't rot it (I have heard of problems with this). Polyester is really easy to find, and is often cheaper than cotton thread anyways.

Mermaid Saphira
12-01-2011, 05:20 PM
^ Thanx for all your help this past week LOL ^

Mermaid Photine
12-01-2011, 05:21 PM
No problem. I picked up sewing from my mom and her costume-making friend. It's always interesting stuff, and it's nice to monologue about it. :)

Mermaid Saphira
12-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I agree..I taught myself how to hand sew and I'm quite good at it, but my grandmother insists that I use a machine ^_^

Mermaid Photine
12-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I use a machine whenever possible. I getdone in a minute what would have taken me about an hour. I'm trying to make more of my own clothes, so that's rather an important thing- clothes take lots of work! A machine is also useful for powering through thick material without a thimble. I can never find my thimble. xD I find that machine stitches are much faster and stronger than my own, but for small or oddly shaped things, I sew by hand.

Mermaid Saphira
12-01-2011, 05:56 PM
^ I love sewing machine..but they don't get along with me LOL ^_^