PDA

View Full Version : New Mer convention in the works for east coast.

Tom Cardwell
03-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Hi everyone, I'm looking to create a new Mer convention for the east coast in Greensboro NC. We have a fabulous brand new city owned aquatic center and they are very interested in having the mer communities invade. I have many years experience running and owning my own anime con that I retired from, Nekocon, that is now in its 18th year and 6,000+ attendees strong in the Virginia Beach/Hampton area. Current plans is three all day swims on Saturdays to ramp up over time to lead into NC Merfest. We are looking at a proposed Saturday April 25th for our 1st all day swim and then possibly a late September date and a January date that might be two days, depends on the turnout and demand.

We want our convention to be for the mer community, for us to have a fun time with our fellow mers and make new friends as I have in the short time I've been in this community. This will be a very fan driven con, we look to the community to provide the panels and events while we grow and in future cons we can bring in special guests but we want to start out very simple and keep the costs low for everyone to attend.
We look to be very transparent and hopefully move to being a non-profit organization. We may start with a crowd funding method to get the startup funds and I do expect everyone, even the staff to pay their admission too, to have skin in the game.

More info to come.
Check us out at Triad Merfolk on Facebook.

-Thomas Cardwell.

Tom Cardwell
03-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Looking at two charities to support.
Adult side: Breast cancer awareness, save a mermaid. My first silicone tail will be pink with the ribbons on it in honor of my grandmother. Children side: Autism Speaks.

MermaidShannon
03-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Would include nighttime activities like a ball and other fun stuff !!

Shelley
03-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Sounds like you have some experience running conventions. That's good. This would be awesome and close enough for me to attend.

Might I suggest (or remind) you and other creators of events, to define and remember WHO they are marketing TO for an event.
Are you envisioning an event FOR the adult mer-community or for children/families or the public in general? I see that you are defining that it's for the mer-community but I want to be sure I understand.

I ask because there has been residual confusion locally, that we professional mers here are dealing with, after the latest festival tried to appeal to everyone from public children to adults in the mer-community. We local, pro mers are left cleaning up some of the confusion and negative light that the public experienced due to lack of clarity provided.

I wish you success!

Tom Cardwell
03-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Both the adult and kids. All of us who are involved have kids from toddler to teenage. My wife wants to help out but she's not interested in wearing a tail, lol. She has an associate degree in Early Childhood Development. We can develop a full, all day program kids camp to give the parent mers their adult time. My good buddy has run a kids programming room at Nekocon for years and I hope to bring him down from Roanoke to help when this blossoms into a full con.

Triton-Mahtlinnie
03-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Huh, I thought Merfest was going ahead as usual next year? That's what I had heard via Facebook and such anyway.

I look forward to a new convention, sounds like this will be great if it goes ahead. I like to see conventions supporting charities. Though, may I suggest going with someone besides Autism Speaks? They're well known for being abusive towards autistic people and very little of the money they get actually goes towards helping people.

Tom Cardwell
03-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Is there a better Autism charity, I know breast cancer awareness has MULTIPLE groups, I went with Making Strides which is a subgroup of the American Cancer Society. The 2nd childs charity I had was JDRF, Junior Diabetes Research Foundation.

shimmygoddess
03-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Tom, that is great that you have experience and it sounds like it has the potential to be a nice festival. If you say both adults and kids then I am assuming you are gearing this toward the family friendly side instead of the adults only and lets party side. LOL. Have read posts in the past where some were complaining about having kids around at Merfest. So as long as you establish in the beginning who your target market is, then it should go smoothly.

Tom Cardwell
03-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Oh, I have some on our committee that want to have the adult partys in the evening, and we can have the kids movie party too. Anime cons when they started out were very adult but over the years they are now in the late teens. Each group can get their seperate space, the GAC (greensboro aquatic center) is huge and has a seperate hot pool area for the kids and a super deep 17' dive pool.

Triton-Mahtlinnie
03-05-2015, 05:37 PM
This post has some suggestions for other organizations (near the bottom) https://thecaffeinatedautistic.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/why-i-am-against-autism-speaks-and-you-should-be-too-2/

Haha, I was one of the people who spoke up about the kids at Merfest. I'm not against the convention having a kids track or kids events. Mostly, I just want the choice to go to events or hang out and -not- be surrounded by kids. And the inevitable non-fandom parents that come with. Nothing makes me more uncomfortable than large amounts of mundanes staring at me.

Tom Cardwell
03-05-2015, 05:44 PM
The kids hot pool was broken at NC Merfest that weekend, so that really sucked. I was there fri/sat only. I tried my best as a participating parent to help out on Saturday, don't know what happened (or not happened) on Sunday. I want to give the adults their space but sometime have families together for group swimming, even if its a quick 15-30 minutes.

Mermaid Galene
03-05-2015, 05:58 PM
I shall be watching this thread with interest!

shimmygoddess
03-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Just to be clear, I really wasnt trying to sound mean towards the ones that didn't want kids around. If I came across like that, I apologize. I totally get that and respect it. :) I just remember several people saying something about the kids. I think there was already a discussion regarding having it family oriented vs. adults. Either way is totally fine, just need to advertise properly. Personally, when I see all the photos online of the drunken pool after party shenanigans (which I am not dissing, it is fine with me), that it just doesn't seem 'family oriented' anymore and has the potential to draw negativity on an event.

This post has some suggestions for other organizations (near the bottom) https://thecaffeinatedautistic.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/why-i-am-against-autism-speaks-and-you-should-be-too-2/

Haha, I was one of the people who spoke up about the kids at Merfest. I'm not against the convention having a kids track or kids events. Mostly, I just want the choice to go to events or hang out and -not- be surrounded by kids. And the inevitable non-fandom parents that come with. Nothing makes me more uncomfortable than large amounts of mundanes staring at me.

Triton-Mahtlinnie
03-05-2015, 06:40 PM
@Shimmygoddess: it's totally fine, I get what you're saying. Plenty of people love mermaiding with kids, (and we all know kids love mermaids) so inviting families is good public relations and a good way to get money.

It's actually pretty common at conventions for day-time events to be more family friendly, and for late evening stuff to be 18+ or more adult oriented. (Most will actually require ID or some kind of stamp to enter late night 18+ events, even) This is true of every anime, comic, or furry convention I have attended. I think it's totally possible for a con to have both kid oriented activities and adult activities as long as the deliniation is clear. I would've been all over the late night hotel pool party if A. the pool had been larger and B. I'd actually been staying at the hotel.

AniaR
03-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Hey Tom welcome to mernetwork! I only got to see you briefly at merfest but it's awesome you want to get so involved!!! :) I think I denied your friend request on FB a while back because I didnt realize who you were (I get a lot of men trying to add me for the purposes of sexual harassment... so sometimes I just delete em all if there's too many) sorry about that!

Arella
03-05-2015, 07:34 PM
I thought Merfest was still happening? Like wasn't there a Cozumel trip in the works?

MermaidShannon
03-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Tom she's really hot like the hottest of all of us and the men love her but it's cool now you can have the honor [emoji471][emoji106][emoji322]

AniaR
03-05-2015, 07:50 PM
nope. according to posts on merfest there will be nothing this year. they can't make it work for a variety of reasons. and the staff seem to be divided on if it'll happen again next year but I think they're HOPING they can do what later in the year next year.

I dont think this is meant to replace merfest; just be an additional con!

MermaidShannon
03-05-2015, 07:51 PM
I don't care who has it I'm totally happy bringing my weird brand of humor wherever.

Merman Dan
03-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Would include nighttime activities like a ball and other fun stuff !!

Just up the road from the Greensboro Aquatic Center (http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com) is the Carolina SciQuarium (http://www.greensboroscience.org/attractions/sciquarium/index.shtml) , which rents space for evening events.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7425/9610681312_b6fc9698ae_z.jpg

MermaidShannon
03-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Oh well party on garth

Kishiko
03-05-2015, 08:15 PM
What about having like a set time in the day, an hour or so, that non-mer kids and families can come and swim with the mermaids, and then it can be optional if the mers want to participate or not.? And in regards to events that kids aren't Allowed related to the con, what about under 18 mers who are attending the con?

Sent from my shellphone using Mertalk

Shelley
03-05-2015, 08:28 PM
I like Kishiko's idea of it being a very separate time/day for mundanes/family.

There is a bigger problem than mers complaining about kids/mundanes in the area. It's a bigger 'mermaid entertainer reputation' thing. Especially for the local mers who have to remain behind and explain all misinformation and reputation backlash.
Think of this-
Mers who are at an event to kickback, learn, socialize and relax, do not want to be expected to 'entertain' others, simply because they are in the same pool/area. I've heard several mundane locals comment about how 'unprofessional' the mers at merfest were (*I* realized right away that these mers being brushed off as amateurs, ARE in fact, professionals and would act as such, if it were their job, but they were not 'on' to perform at the event) however, because the mundanes who attended thought they were bringing their kids/family into a pool full of 'entertainers' who were there to amuse the families...there was unfortunate confusion.
Imagine me trying to explain that those same mermaids are in FACT lovely entertainers...when they are working a gig that they were hired for! I think clear definitions are very important to avoid this type of across-the-board criticism of mermaid entertainers.
Just my friendly thoughts. I wasn't there but I imagine that several mers stepped up to try to make the event interactive for the kids who did show up, even though they were never contracted to do so, because the heart of a mermaid says the magical moment is the most important thing.
Keep the different portions of the event VERY separate, making sure attending mers and 'the public' are both properly aware of what to expect, where and when. Confusion is a terrible thing.

AniaR
03-05-2015, 08:33 PM
exactly Shelley. Great points. I did vollunteer to entertain kids but we did it in a separate pool/area, and I def felt "on call" (through no fault of anyone, just proximity) when trying to do things in the big main area this year. I do know however that there was supposed to be the kids pool which was in a different room for all the kids stuff to be set up and the pool closed it last minute so they had to scramble to accommodate.

Rebekah.fish
03-05-2015, 11:08 PM
I don't care who has it I'm totally happy bringing my weird brand of humor wherever.
Hahaha same boat Shannon I'll bring my weird anywhere lol

Rebekah.fish
03-05-2015, 11:08 PM
I'm really interested in this because I was unable to attend merfest so if it's less pricy then I'm all in! :) so excited!

Tom Cardwell
03-06-2015, 12:17 AM
I attended Friday/Saturday only at NC Merfest, I think, correct me but it seemed like the complaints were mostly sunday? Saturday worked quite well, I volunteered my time watching the kids (and my daughter) and helping the Minnesota mermaids. At 4pm I noticed our Ariel was not with us so I went to find her. She was in the big pool with 5+ kids around her. I told her that we were all in the 3' deep lap pool and mertendered her over to where the kids & parents were. Everyone seemed to be having a great time and the adult mers seemed to be getting their needed seperation/freedom. :)

Tom Cardwell
03-06-2015, 12:29 AM
I admit, I'm not a socializer, I grew up a loner. I've never drank an ounce of alcohol in my life. But I do surround myself with friends and staff that will entertain adults. We had karaoke Friday nights at Nekocon with a cash bar for those who wanted to drink for years. I'm a hard behind the scenes chairman, not so much the face forward of the convention, again I have great friends and staff to be the happy cheerful ones to greet the attendees and take care of the guests. And I'm very humble that 12 years later, many attendees of Nekocon loved the two years I was chairman, said it was the best. :)

Venessa Louisiana Mermaid
03-06-2015, 01:02 AM
Tom, I'm excited for your interest in this. I don't know what's going on with Merfest I hope it all gets sorted out. Your event sounds like a good addition and or replacement if needed. I should let you know beforehand though that if you are planning for some of the more famous mers to attend, we will require riders. My associate Shannon can address this issue further with you. For instance, we require our rooms to be painted a light shade of aqua. It helps with our sleeping. We wake up and think we are still under the sea. I also expect hot grilled cheese sandwiches delivered to my door or poolside on demand. Please no naked hot tub soirees. People are already suspicious of our behavior. I will also only sign autographs for people with names beginning in "J" and "K." That will be all for now....will update you as the list changes if needed. Good luck in your endeavors. :cool:

Tom Cardwell
03-06-2015, 01:04 AM
lol, thanks :)

MermaidShannon
03-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Tom take it seriously some of us are sought after and celebrated even. I would like to add to Venessa and my rider. We need west facing conjoining suites. Also no photographs of the left side (just venessa). We only pose with children who have been fed gluten and lactose free diets. This is due to the Shart incident at another convention.

Additionally every time venessa eats grilled cheese she needs a hot man over the age of 25 but younger than 26 to feed it to her. I'm super easy going and will settle for Captain Hook from once upon a time. That should do it for now have your people call our people.

Tom Cardwell
03-06-2015, 05:52 AM
Holy crap, going back to anime, the "professional" cosplayers were never this bad. [emoji14]

MermaidShannon
03-06-2015, 06:01 AM
Tom, thank you for your speedy reply. There is no convention in the world other than mers or we cannot work with you. If Venessa and myself don't come and I'm not threatening you, but it won't technically be legit.

Kishiko
03-06-2015, 11:00 AM
On a more serious note, I am concerned about the latter part of my previous statement. What about us mers who attend the convention but are under 18? Will we still be allowed at the events to socialize but have something marking us as minors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Cardwell
03-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Classic way is to have blue bands for over 18+ and green for under. Still in the works but we could have adult swim time for 1-2 hours where no green bands are allow near the 17' deep pool. It ideas, we will brainstorm. We all have kids, we want them involved but we want our space too. hope that helps.

Kishiko
03-06-2015, 11:08 AM
I mean like those of us who actually are mers coming for the con, not just kids visiting? Like I'll be 15 or 16 at the time and the Mer I'm coming with will be 19. We're going to be coming to go to the events and socialize with other mers just like everyone else. It's not like a mom just bringing her kids to ogle at the pretty mermaids.

NerineArcticMermaid
03-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Just up the road from the Greensboro Aquatic Center (http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com) is the Carolina SciQuarium (http://www.greensboroscience.org/attractions/sciquarium/index.shtml) , which rents space for evening events.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7425/9610681312_b6fc9698ae_z.jpg
dan that place looks pretty neat!

MermaidShannon
03-06-2015, 02:01 PM
It's a party fo SHIZZLE and I'm crowning myself queen who
Wants to fight me for it.

Tom Cardwell
03-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Kishiko, I don't see a problem with mer teens wanting to be with the adult mers. Mermaid Paige of VA Beach was with all the adult mers during NC Merfest, not with the kiddies.

Venessa Louisiana Mermaid
03-08-2015, 01:24 AM
It's a party fo SHIZZLE and I'm crowning myself queen who
Wants to fight me for it.

Too late Shannon because if you will just take a look over at my new avatar, you will see that I've already got the title. It's been decided. Maybe if you can behave I'll let you wear my crown for a few minutes though. #SorryBoo #TryHarder

Kishiko
03-08-2015, 01:25 AM
Kishiko, I don't see a problem with mer teens wanting to be with the adult mers. Mermaid Paige of VA Beach was with all the adult mers during NC Merfest, not with the kiddies.

Okay awesome that's what I was worried about!! Thanks

Merman_Ryan
03-08-2015, 03:05 AM
Would love to attend September I could fit. April is my Florida trip so I'm not sure of my financial status at that time.

I have been to Nekocons before so good to have some background in a con I've attended before.

Spindrift
03-08-2015, 05:18 AM
Sounds good to me! Other great charities to consider include Make A Wish, Children's Miracle Network, and World Wildlife Fund

Tom Cardwell
03-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Make a wish would be great.
A very local charity to greensboro is Victory Junction Gang, Richard Petty's charity. They were down at Carowinds on Friday and I thought they would be a great backyard charity the locals know about.

Tom Cardwell
03-08-2015, 05:34 AM
Opps, Kyle Petty's charity, after his son adam who died in a wreck. They are only 20 minutes due south on same road that leads to the GAC. Have a swim for the kids.

Mermaid Coralia
03-08-2015, 07:50 AM
I would totally go to this mermaid party! I wanted to go to merfest but I was just getting into the mermaid world and didn't have a tail or the funds to go. But this year for sure if you do this!

Mermaid Coralia
03-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Maybe you could talk the hotel into getting cheaper package rooms for the mers staying there for each day? I know some of the conventions I've been to have been able to do that. Just a thought.

Tom Cardwell
03-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Crap, internet burped and ate my reply. Yes I've negotiated hotel contracts many times. 300+ room nights for 2 ballrooms and 8 function rooms, 3 days for free on a sliding scale. NC Merfest looked to have a 4th floor room block of 20 rooms, 50 room nights, might have gotten ballroom discounted. Have to talk to local hotels what they can give. We have an embassy suites near the airport, it's 8 miles from GAC

Mermaid Coralia
03-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Awesome :) I'm sure you're very experienced already and know all the ropes, i just wasn't sure :)

Merman Dan
03-08-2015, 09:51 AM
The Sheraton Greensboro (http://www.sheratongreensboro.com) is on the same road the the Greensboro Aquatic Center, (http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com) while the Greensboro-High Point Marriott (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/gsonc-greensboro-high-point-marriott-airport/) is closer to the airport. Both supposedly have nice pools. I'll try to get some photos this week.

Merman Dan
03-08-2015, 09:55 AM
dan that place looks pretty neat!

It may not be a huge place, but it's fun! They have several friendly stingrays in the touch tank and a 90,000 gallon shark tank that I so want to swim in!

MermaidShannon
03-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Too late Shannon because if you will just take a look over at my new avatar, you will see that I've already got the title. It's been decided. Maybe if you can behave I'll let you wear my crown for a few minutes though. #SorryBoo #TryHarder

Venessa I'm not going to reply the way I want to because I don't want the ban hammer so here http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/08/83d7f3d0eb71727a8bedb41be8fdf132.jpg

Mermaid Lilium
03-08-2015, 01:17 PM
Just a comment on the whole hotel topic. The fact that the hotel at merfest ran a shuttle service to and from the airport was one of the deciding factors about why I actually managed to go. For those that don't drive or at least are flying in, help with transport is an important thing so if the hotel near the gac offers a shuttle service then that one gets my vote :)

Tom Cardwell
03-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Yea, kinda sure most all the good hotels have airport shuttle. Its a quick easy shuttle ride to greensboro airport, 15 minutes top from Sheraton.

shimmygoddess
03-08-2015, 09:16 PM
OMG....this had me cracking up...LOL

Venessa I'm not going to reply the way I want to because I don't want the ban hammer so here http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/08/83d7f3d0eb71727a8bedb41be8fdf132.jpg

Triton-Mahtlinnie
03-09-2015, 12:23 AM
what's important to me is having a quick and easy way to get from the Hotel to the Pool. Lacking a car, I was forced to beg for rides from people all merfest, which sucks.

Rebekah.fish
03-09-2015, 12:47 AM
All those charities are great! And I'm not nocking any of them, but since we are mer people maybe look into marine protection charities? Just a suggestion. Felt like it made sense. Do u have a cost estimation for this yet?

Kishiko
03-09-2015, 09:52 AM
All those charities are great! And I'm not nocking any of them, but since we are mer people maybe look into marine protection charities? Just a suggestion. Felt like it made sense. Do u have a cost estimation for this yet?

Was thinking the same thing!

Tom Cardwell
03-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Yup. An overall charity of marine conservation would be ideal. The breast cancer awareness could be an event at the con, like swimming contests where the swimmers could raise money for laps swam, just brainstorming. :) But keep the ideas flowing.

Kishiko
03-09-2015, 10:26 AM
What about charities that are more local, or ones that aren't as popular? Like, there's literally thousands of events to raise money for breast cancer, children's miracle network, etc. and while they're all fantastic causes, what about finding ones that could really use the money because they aren't as mainstream?

Tom Cardwell
03-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Yes, but many times you do a charity that is dear to the heart of one of the organizers. Nekocon did Juvenile Diabetes research foundation cause one of the co-owner ' s kids had diabetes.

Kishiko
03-09-2015, 10:42 AM
I was just throwing out a suggestion

Like the one local to Greensboro. I thought that was a cool idea.

Tom Cardwell
03-09-2015, 11:20 AM
What my tail will look like minus fins.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/09/a4a42c7caecb7c5ca96438323e24996e.jpg

Kishiko
03-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Are there any local families or charities that are raising money for cancer?

MerAnthony
03-09-2015, 03:44 PM
With myself living here in NC When the time comes for this gathering I only live about 2 hours from Greensboro. If who ever is going to get this up an going I would be more than glad to help. If need be I can help shuttle mers from hotel to pool or where ever need to go. Or any other thing that needs help with.

MermaidShannon
03-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Mer party ova heah mer party ova there

Dancing Fish
03-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Mexico is out of the question, but NC we could probably manage. Still, I have never been any cons, let alone a mermaid con! We'd totally love to come! Reading this thread though, I'm now very worried about the kids thing. We camped with friends for years at an SCA event (Pennsic) and were basically kicked out of the camp when my kid was born. We were outright told we are ruining peoples' vacations. It was a terrible scene and it's a sore point with me to this day. My daughter is 8 and would like to attend *as a mermaid* NOT just a mundane kid who is tagging along with her mermaid mum who would pester the other guests. Is this generally considered inappropriate at cons, to bring children who are genuinely interested in the topic of the con? Should I not bother thinking about attending a mer con until she's grown up? That would suck for us, but I don't want to stomp on toes (fins?) and create a horrible situation for everyone like what happened at our camp either.

MermaidShannon
03-30-2015, 12:31 PM
I say bring her. We had lots of kids in tails.

Tom Cardwell
03-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Myself, shannon and Daniel who are organizing it all have children from 5 to 16. Yes we can have a kids swim together, my 8 yrs old daughter would love it.

Dancing Fish
03-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Hooray! Me: :yay: The little mermaidlet::dance:

Tom Cardwell
03-30-2015, 02:45 PM

Tom Cardwell
03-30-2015, 02:46 PM
My daughter on the left with kids at harris ymca on a Saturday. More like this.

Dancing Fish
03-30-2015, 09:46 PM
"2 million thumbs up!" -Rowan (who now wants a red tail too). :thumbs-up:

Rett
04-03-2015, 09:09 AM
I just had an amazing idea! A Swim-O-Thon! It could be like a Dance-A-Thon that some high-schools do to raise money for class trips. In this case, you could set the time to like 30 mins or an hour, and have people (family, friends, random convention-goers) pledge money to the mers (say $5 for example sake). Every lap of the pool a mer makes, $5 would be raised for that mer. So, if in the time limit, the mer did 20 laps, then the person who pledged would pay the mer $100. Then that money can be donated to one of the charities! You could even give tiny awards (something small like a ribbon with 'Charitable Mer' written on it) for those who swam the most laps! I dont know if I'll be able to attend, but I think this would work great for a charitable activity! (just remember if you use it to give me credit ;) )

Rebekah.fish
04-06-2015, 05:01 PM
So is this dreaming or is it actually happening?

Merman Dan
05-19-2015, 09:47 PM
It looks like the Greensboro Aquatic Center (http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com) is clear for Wednesday swims on 5/20 and 5/27. I would recommend moving things up an hour, from 10am-12pm, so that we can swim in the deeper diving pool (17' deep, 80ºF) . Adding a Sunday swim on 5/24 or 5/31 is also a possibility.

Upcoming Event: World Ocean Day at the Greensboro Science Center
http://www.greensboroscience.org/…/spe…/oceanday/index.shtml

A January Merfolk Festival: As the NC MerFest will not be held this January, who would be interested in a shindig at the GAC the first weekend in January? Granted, I'd have to rent the pool, so we'd need a chunk of change. We might crowdfund for that; if there is enough interest we are in, if not - no harm no foul.

Merman Dan
05-31-2015, 05:49 PM
So is this dreaming or is it actually happening?

I sent a letter to Kate McIntosh, the Event Coordinator at the Greensboro Aquatic Center, (http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com) regarding a Merfolk gathering the first weekend in January 2016. I mentioned an interest in the Diving Well, Recreational Pool, and possibly the use of their classroom facility from 11am-5pm Saturday and Sunday. I also inquired about the possibility of another event I have read about: Dive-In Movies, where folks float on inner tubes and rafts in the pool while watching a movie. The Diving Well at the GAC is 17' deep, is kept around 83ºF, has two sets of submerged stairs for easy access, has six bubble curtains, and has underwater speakers.

Once I hear back from the GAC I will let you know!

Mermaid Coralia
05-31-2015, 07:05 PM
Ooh that place sounds like a dream. I hope they love the idea and want us to come! Aha

Merman Dan
06-20-2015, 01:56 AM
What I would like to see would be something like the following:

http://www.hotelroomking.com/images/hotel-pics/NC-hotels/Greensboro/47545/sheraton-greensboro-at-four-seasons_0.jpg

Friday, January 1st: Registration and mixer at the Sheraton Greensboro (http://www.sheratongreensboro.com)
Open Swim and Dive-In Movie at the Greensboro Aquatic Center (http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com)
Midnight Swim at the Sheraton Greensboro (http://www.sheratongreensboro.com)

http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/Main_column/images/USMS.jpg

Saturday, January 2nd: Open swim and workshops at the Greensboro Aquatic Center (http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com)
Merfolk Ball at the Wiseman Aquarium at the Greensboro Science Center (http://greensboroscience.org)
Midnight Swim at the Sheraton Greensboro (http://www.sheratongreensboro.com)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7425/9610681312_b6fc9698ae.jpg

Sunday: January 3rd: Open swim and workshops at the Greensboro Aquatic Center (http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com)
Evening Event at the Atlantis Room at Graylyn (http://graylyn.com)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/35/be/c5/35bec5ff418c7c5f962392c9dcb44ac0.jpg

Granted, at this point it's just a pipe dream. I have a few tricks up my sleeve but we would need corporate sponsors and a a lot of luck to pull it off. But hey... you guys are my friends and I miss you. What better reason for a party? :)

Kishiko
06-22-2015, 09:44 AM
Hmmmm not sure if January 1st is the best day to hold it... I think most people won't be doing much of anything that day. :lol:

Tom Cardwell
06-22-2015, 09:48 AM
You would be surprised. There are many successful anime cons that are on holidays. rental rates are dirt cheap and hotels are inexpensive. ....airplane travel unfortunately is expensive. Kids are out of school.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Kishiko
06-22-2015, 09:50 AM
However most people are attending parties and such that night with family and friends and most likely wouldn't be able to attend. Also, I'm sure a lot of people are pretty hungover that day and won't be up for much swimming and what not

Rebekah.fish
06-22-2015, 09:56 AM
Yea we travel and play music and we are always booked new year and new years eve >_<

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Tom Cardwell
06-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Dan was just dreaming, there wouldn't be any programming on the 1st, the GAC would be closed.

AniaR
06-22-2015, 10:15 AM
We arrived on the 1st for ncmerfest and that pool was open

Tom Cardwell
06-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Ah okay

Merman Dan
08-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Let's keep the motivation going! Feel free to visit the GAC's Facebook page, look for Shannon's post under "Visitor Posts", and chime in!

Merman Dan
08-25-2015, 12:17 PM
The pool is ours! I have started a NEW THREAD (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?11721-The-January-2016-Merfolk-Meetup-is-On!%E2%80%A8%E2%80%A8&p=211492#post211492) for the discussion of this event!