PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountian Meetup?

MermaidBrandie
03-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Ok guys, I've tried before, and I'd like to try again....I suggest a meetup!

Sometime in the warmer months, spring/summer.

A date we can all agree on.

And a place that's mermaid friendly, and has lots to do.

Maybe we can all go out to lunch before, or dinner after as well?

I'll post this on the mermaid groups on facebook too. Feel free to respond here, or there!

-Coyote

Mermaid Tula
03-05-2015, 09:22 PM
I would love to meet up! I'm in S.E. Idaho

MermaidBrandie
03-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Awesome! Wow thats far. We might wanna make it a weekend thing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Tula
03-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Right. Best for me would be when we're out of school (me my hubby and daughter are all in school)

MermaidBrandie
03-05-2015, 09:59 PM
So....summer? :)

Onyx Jewel Catfish
03-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Yay summer! That seems so far away

MermaidBrandie
03-05-2015, 11:54 PM
I know right? Ugh

Meemerdd
03-12-2015, 10:52 PM
Maybe I would have a tail by Summer and meet-up with you guys!

MermaidBrandie
03-13-2015, 10:21 AM
I hope so. :)

Mermaid Strega
04-14-2015, 12:32 PM
I would love to meet up! I'm in S.E. Idaho

I'm in SE Idaho too! A meet up would be neat if it were within a short drive distance. (I have small children, making road trips a pain.) I'd like to see mers in action and see tails and such.

Grey Gambit
04-14-2015, 07:10 PM
I don't have a lot of money to travel very far, but if we can figure out a date and time I'll see what I can do.
It'd be awesome to be able to meet up with people.

MermaidAine
07-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Alright, I just saw the most beautiful picture of Bear Lake and think we should really do a meet up in August!

MermaidBrandie
07-20-2015, 10:51 PM
There was a meetup trying to happen on one of the Facebook groups and then it just sorta didn't and there was only like 2 of us going :/

MermaidAine
07-21-2015, 12:02 AM
Oh really? Which group?

MermaidBrandie
07-21-2015, 12:40 AM
Mermaids of Colorado.

Mermaid Ayla Jay
07-29-2015, 04:54 AM
Hey! I just moved to Colorado from a state absolutely devoid of merpeople or any pods whatsoever and I sorely need a meet up! so lets get together some awesome Colorado pod members! anyone know where to meet up and talk on chat on facebook?

MermaidBrandie
07-29-2015, 10:09 AM
We've tried so many times. I don't think a meet is gonna happen

Mermaid Strega
08-04-2015, 09:21 PM
I miiiiight be able to swing a trip to bear lake. My husband has been denied vacation three times now and they've got him working 7 days a week, so if I could actually get a few days we'd be up for that haha.

Sadly here in the Rockies were all just so far apart it makes it hard for everyone to get together.

Mermaid Ayla Jay
08-05-2015, 02:52 PM
So far I've just been going to Horsetooth reservoir to swim, although I could take a day-trip to bear lake.

MermaidAine
08-05-2015, 03:35 PM
I am still up for a trip to Bear Lake!

Mermaid Ayla Jay
08-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Ok well awesome!! lets all hash it out take votes and what not and see what date works for the majority!

Mermaid Ayla Jay
08-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Before august ends of course

Mermaid Ayla Jay
08-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Ok so what mandatory things does everyone need to do in august? like I have to got to a wedding at the end of the month so I wont be available past the 26th

MermaidAine
08-05-2015, 05:36 PM
I am supposed to go with my siblings to spread our parents ashes on the weekend of the 15-16, but not sure which day for sure. I will talk to them and see if we can commit.
Or would the 22nd work best for everyone?

Grey Gambit
08-06-2015, 12:46 PM
I might be able to make it for the 22nd. What part of Bear Lake would we be meeting up at?

MermaidBrandie
01-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Does anyone want to make a monthy meetup? I can't get out to swim very often anymore but having a monthy meet up with be something fun to look forwards to...? I know the DFW pod does it. Anyone up here want to?

Seraphina Aturdokht
01-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Don't give up on the meet ideas. For what is the value of a pod but to get together and share? Doing these more frequently makes sense but there should be more than one subregional meet. Colorado, especially the Fort Collins area, seems to have a fair number of active Merfolk so that might be a good place to hold one such submeet. Bear Lake on the Idaho/Utah border seems to be getting a lot of attention and would draw on the population centers in East Idaho and the Salt Lake valley. It wouldn't be ideal for either group however requiring at least a couple hours drive for the majority. Is there a spot in Idaho or Utah that might be more accessible for the smaller meetups? Indoor or other warmer options should also be considered. There is little chance anyone wants to go jump in an ice encrusted waterway during the winter so in order to keep to a monthly schedule such spaces would be vital. Any amenable community pool or similar would probably be a good place to start. The options afforded by hot springs are also quite enticing.

On a somewhat related note typing this up has made me curious about how a full wetsuit would work with the rest of the materials. Any thoughts?

Mermaid Arabella
03-09-2016, 05:02 PM
I'm a new mermaid-in-training in the Denver area and would love to meet other merfolk nearby! (Another new mermaid in the Introduce Yourself board is also in CO)

SIF
03-18-2016, 06:47 PM
Anyone been able to locate Mer- Sparkle?

Onyx Jewel Catfish
03-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Nice to Meet you MerPixie!

Mermaid Arabella
03-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Nice to meet you! We should do a CO pod meet-up! :D

Seraphina Aturdokht
05-04-2016, 01:43 AM
Yes we absolutely should meet up soon. Let us set a time and location. I personally favor a more northerly area in Colorado and warmer waters.

Mermaid Arabella
05-04-2016, 12:16 PM
I'm down! I'm not a native, so I don't really have any suggestions on locations, but I'm happy to drive north from the Westminster/Arvada area

MermaidBrandie
05-04-2016, 01:59 PM
I'm in the Westminster area and would love a meet up as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Arabella
05-04-2016, 02:10 PM
I'm in the Westminster area and would love a meet up as well!

Oooh, we can carpool! :D

Side note: The next 2 weekends are totally booked for me already. The 21st/22nd would be the earliest I'd be available.

MermaidBrandie
05-04-2016, 04:09 PM
I just need ample notice :)

Mermaid Arabella
05-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Ok, I'm gonna toss a date out there: How does Saturday June 4th work for everybody?

MermaidBrandie
05-06-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm down!

Seraphina Aturdokht
05-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Sadly on June 4 I will likely be out of state and unable to participate. If that works for everyone else though you should go for it.

Mermaid Arabella
05-09-2016, 11:28 AM
I'm okay with moving it if another weekend works better. There seems to be just 3 of us interested at the moment, so it'd be nice to find a time to all meet up. I was trying to pick a date a few weeks out (for those that need to plan or request time off) that isn't Memorial Day weekend (to avoid THAT craziness). Most of June would work for me, except Sunday the 12th (friend's bridal shower) or the weekend of the 17th-19th (Denver Comic Con), so would June 11th, 25th, or 26th work better?

Seraphina Aturdokht
05-10-2016, 12:39 AM
The weekend of June 25/26 would probably work pretty well actually. It would be good to start looking at aquatic locations also. I know of at least a few swimming holes that might work but some may be more desirable than others.

MermaidBrandie
05-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Any of those dates would work for me. :)

Mermaid Arabella
05-10-2016, 11:19 AM
So let's say Saturday, June 25th! YAAAY, a meetup is scheduled!! :D As for location, Seraphina Aturdokht had mentioned northerly Colorado - I'm fine with driving north, but I'm not familiar with the area so I can't really suggest a location. Any ideas?

Side note: Seraphina Aturdokht, you wouldn't happen to be Serafina Cosplay, would you? If so, we met briefly at Project Cosplay. I'm friends with Kristi. :)

Seraphina Aturdokht
05-12-2016, 02:25 PM
I'm afraid I am not affiliated with Serafina Cosplay and know nothing about them. I do make and wear my own costumes when the opportunity arises but I just do my own thing and don't have any Cosplay credentials ^_^. I will start hunting up some good places to swim. Unfortunately there are not very many that are not fairly cold year round as their water is mostly snow runoff from the mountains.

Mermaid Arabella
05-12-2016, 02:59 PM
I'm afraid I am not affiliated with Serafina Cosplay and know nothing about them. I do make and wear my own costumes when the opportunity arises but I just do my own thing and don't have any Cosplay credentials ^_^. I will start hunting up some good places to swim. Unfortunately there are not very many that are not fairly cold year round as their water is mostly snow runoff from the mountains.

Haha, okay, just thought I'd ask, since your names were so similar. Yeah, just let us know. I'll also ask some of my native friends if they have any good suggestions. What "north" area are we aiming for? (Longmont, Loveland, Fort Collins, Greeley, etc?)

MermaidBrandie
05-13-2016, 12:31 PM
There's a few rec centers that allow mermaid tails. Golden city rec center has the warmest water.

Seraphina Aturdokht
05-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Rec centers and other pools are certainly worth looking at though I don't know precisely where Golden City is. For my part when I am thinking about Northerly areas it is usually Fort Collins that first comes to mind. That is still a good 80 miles south but it makes a good central meeting ground. I know that there are some state parks around various water bodies such as horsetooth reservoir near Fort Collins that might be all right.

Mermaid Arabella
05-25-2016, 01:24 PM
I looked up the info for Horsetooth Reservoir: http://www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/brochure_horsetooth.pdf
I found the following info about swimming on a different website (http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/outdoors/2014/07/18/check-places-play-water/12849423/)
Swimming: South Bay and Sunrise swim beaches. South Bay can be accessed by driving north through the South Bay Inlet area. Sunrise is located on the east side of the reservoir, and can be accessed by driving north on Centennial Drive past Rotary Park. There are no lifeguards on duty.

Does this sound like a good option to everybody? South Bay looks like it's right by one of the entrances and has more options, but either one should work. Let me know your thoughts! :)

Seraphina Aturdokht
05-26-2016, 01:13 AM
Horsetooth would work. I was looking at some hot springs as well but I doubt folks would be wildly excited to come all the way to Wyoming even if the water is wonderful. The directions might be a little confusing but it sounds like it should be open and accessible as we need it.

Onyx Jewel Catfish
05-29-2016, 10:44 AM
The hot spring in Idaho Springs is nice for mermaiding. Small and intimate. However not free

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mermaid Arabella
05-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Horsetooth isn't free either, but it's only $7/car, as opposed to about $19/person (if I remember correctly?) for the Indian Hot Springs. I'm good with either one, but we were looking at the FoCo area to make it an easier trip for Seraphina Aturdokht.

Having said that, I may need to back out because our delayed Father's Day dinner with the in-laws got planned for this day (and I'm the reason we can't do it on Father's Day) so the location and time (whether I can make it back for dinner, which is always early with them) will decide whether or not I can attend at all :T

Onyx Jewel Catfish
06-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Any time frames yet?

MermaidBrandie
06-05-2016, 01:34 PM
How cold is the water? We would want to go on a hot day if its really cold.

Seraphina Aturdokht
06-10-2016, 02:47 PM
The water in horsetooth usually isn't too bad even if it is almost entirely winter runoff. It is a long and relatively thin reservoir with pretty good surface area for warming. Though at this point it seems quite unlikely I will be available on the 25th so it may be worth considering places closer to the majority of the population.

Mermaid Arabella
06-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Ok, if we're going to move this to the Denver area, I could probably come to a lunch-time meetup and still get home for dinner with the in-laws. Would everyone be okay with a lunch meetup? Maybe get there around 11am and leave early afternoon? (Or of course, stay as long as you want, but I'll need to leave early afternoon.)

There are several parks/reservoirs in the Denver area with swim beaches. A few that I know are Chatfield State Park (Littleton), Bear Creek Lake Park (Lakewood), and Cherry Creek Reservoir (Aurora). Entrance is $10 or less (depending on park) per car. Once again, if anyone knows of other good swimming holes, let us know. And/or if you want to go to any of these specifically, speak up! I've been wanting to go to Bear Creek ever since I first discovered it when driving past a couple months ago. It's got a beautiful view of the mountains just across E-470.

Mermaid Arabella
06-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Anyone still interested in meeting in the Denver area on the 25th?

Sitre Seer Moroaica
06-15-2016, 05:22 PM
Depending on how far north you guys go the Thornton Rec Center allows tails. The deepest end is 15' ^.^
Sadly I wont be able to make this one as I'll be in Europe but I hope you guys have loads of fun :)

Mermaid Arabella
06-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Depending on how far north you guys go the Thornton Rec Center allows tails. The deepest end is 15' ^.^
Sadly I wont be able to make this one as I'll be in Europe but I hope you guys have loads of fun :)

Thanks for letting us know! :)

Is there anyone who can make it this weekend that is still interested? If so, let's pick a spot (I'm good with anywhere in the metro area) and get this setup. If not, maybe we should shoot for another weekend, maybe in July? Let me know so I can make plans! :)

Mermaid Arabella
06-23-2016, 05:58 PM
Ok, since nomer has chimed in with a yes, I'm gonna go ahead and say let's not meet this weekend. I'm going to make a separate thread for a meetup in the Denver area; the rest of my summer is filling up fast, so I don't know that I could make it up to FoCo at this point (although, of course, anymer is welcome to organize a meetup wherever!)

MermaidBrandie
06-25-2016, 10:34 PM
I've been offline since we just moved into a new house. I wouldn't mind a Denver meet!

Mermaid Arabella
06-27-2016, 12:24 PM
I've been offline since we just moved into a new house. I wouldn't mind a Denver meet!

Awesome! I started a new thread for a Denver-specific meetup: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?13481-Denver-Metro-meetup

Mermaid Arabella
07-06-2016, 11:37 AM
For anyone interested, we finalized the meetup for Saturday the 23rd at Bear Creek Lake Park. Information can be found in the "Denver Metro Meetup" thread that I linked above, or at our public facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/2065830136976460/

MermaidBrandie
07-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Yay! Good to know. I'll probably be there!

Mermaid Arabella
07-20-2016, 05:10 PM
JUST A REMINDER that the Denver area meetup is this Saturday! Hope to meet you lovely mers there! :)

Onyx Jewel Catfish
07-20-2016, 06:29 PM
I can't go😔

MermaidBrandie
07-21-2016, 01:47 PM
ILL BE THERE.

Onyx Jewel Catfish
07-25-2016, 04:59 PM
How was it?

Mermaid Arabella
07-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Just 3 of us, but we had lots of fun! :)