PDA

View Full Version : Neopets Fountain Faerie cosplay?

Coastal
03-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Hi! This is my first post ever, I just really need some help with my cosplay! I'm planning on going to a-kon 2015 (http://www.a-kon.com/) this year and I was thinking of cosplaying as the fountain faerie from Neopets! Here's a picture of her-

I have the costume down (I haven't started on it but I have the materials), I just have no idea how I'd be able to get around! And whatever I used I would love to decorate it like the Rainbow Fountain on Neopets! Could I use a wheelchair or should I use something else? And has anyone else done a full mer cosplay at a con before and can give me advice? I'd really appreciate it, thanks! :D

Mermaid Wesley
03-13-2015, 04:50 PM
If you look around, a lot of people have done things like this. Wheelchairs and wagons are common ways to get around. Thats a cool idea for a cosplay!

Coastal
03-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks! I'm thinking of a wheelchair but I wanted to see if anyone else had any advice! Wagons aren't allowed in the convention center for safety reasons and that was my first choice! Thanks again!

Mermaid Wesley
03-13-2015, 05:00 PM
No problem! Are you planning on making your costume swimmable or just for dry events?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coastal
03-13-2015, 05:16 PM
I plan on making it swimmable! It'll be like a full body fabric tail, I may plan on separating the top and the tail in case I wanted to walk around! I would make scale print pants for that and wear these shoes (http://www.vans.com/shop/ProductDisplay?storeId=10153&productId=3135213&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=1233715&langId=-1&catalogId=10703) that I have with them :D!

Echidna
03-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Cool project!
If carts and wheelchairs are no option, I'd recommend making a costume top and two pieces for the legs; one a swimmable tail, the other a "walkable" tail, so to speak.
Fishtail gown :) maybe with the fluke held up by strings as you walk, like some Halloween mermaid costumes have it.
Please post pictures!

Meronica
03-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Aaaaand this is when I suddenly remember that I haven't fed my Neopets in 8 years and feel pretty guilty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coastal
03-14-2015, 04:13 PM
I was thinking about that! I also saw some cosplays where people sat on "rocks" (foam painted to look like rocks I think?) where they had their tail on the rocks and their feet were inside it and they were able to walk, it's really hard to explain! But I think I'll be able to use a wheelchair, I'll probably decorate it like the fountain the character is always at :) Thanks so much! I'll definitely post pictures!

Mary Marine
03-14-2015, 06:48 PM
I cosplayed as Princess Aquata at A-Kon last year and used a wheel chair to get around. I had someone pushing me, which helped a lot since the convention is so crowded it's difficult to maneuver the wheelchair plus a big tail fluke. You either need a small fluke in your tail or the kind of wheelchair that supports the legs. Getting in the elevator is going to be a bitch no matter what because you will be taking up the space of 3 people and EVERYONE wants to get on THIS elevator, not the next one. If you can, have a friend with a hotel room so you can wheel all your cosplay junk to their room, get in costume, and then go to the con. I don't recommend swimming in the hotel pool unless you do it early Friday because that pool gets disgusting fast. The indoor one is bigger and nicer, but wasn't open when I went.

Coastal
03-15-2015, 01:07 AM
The elevators have never been cramped for me, I never see a lot of people using them! The most crowded I've seen was when a bunch of fursuiters squished in there lol :) Convention pools are always nasty, thanks for the advice! I'm going in a group and I'll have my friend pushing me around, also some of my friends usually stay in the hotel so I could get everything done in there! Thank you so much for all your helpful advice!!

Kumori Kitsune
06-20-2015, 02:17 AM
Omgs Neopets I was obsessed as a kid a great idea a wheel chair is a great idea for transport. because you could store your fin in the pockets or in abag on it if it gets to crowded. I've been to a bunch of little and big cons and people should make room. maybe build a zipper from the bottom so you can just unzip it to walk in it when you want like a slit in a long skirt. That way you can zip it up to swim in and still walk in it.