PDA

View Full Version : Fabien Cousteau, built a SHARK submarine!

Mermaid Sabie
03-14-2015, 12:50 AM
Hey guys, not really sure where to post this but I just watched it and it was such a cool idea I had to share!

"Every dream is impossible, until someone comes along and does it"

Fabien Cousteau and his team built an submarine that moves, and looks like a great white shark!
I love his mentality of wanting to study/ interact sharks in their natural life, not when they are drawn by food and so obviously would be more aggressive.
Poor sharks have such a bad rep :(

I watched it for free on Vimeo, if this link doesn't work just google " Fabien Cousteau; Mind of the Demon"

https://vimeo.com/9576876

Tho I do think they should have been more cautious with their prototype submarine, like that is some serious stuff

Echidna
03-14-2015, 11:52 AM
Fascinating!
I wouldn't board it (I need freedom of movement, and I don't trust UBA), but it's seriously cool.
I never understood why submarines weren't built to look like fish (and airplanes to look more like birds).

If they used a whale skeleton, they could probably fit a real submarine capsule inside :p

Mermaid Sabie
03-14-2015, 09:26 PM
I would love to see a whale submarine too! That would be something I would like to go on

AniaR
03-14-2015, 10:16 PM
I love it. But it also reminds me of Ace Ventura when he was in the robotic rhino hahaha

TheMerthropologist
03-16-2015, 11:24 AM
This was fascinating! I would kind of like to see this experiment again in the future. Maybe one day they can work out the issues and eliminate at least a few hazards. I think they should have done more testing. It's a really cool research method and I hope it gets improved.

It's terrible that sharks have such a bad rep especially since we kill hundreds on them every year. From what I understand a lot of bites come from mistaken identity/ curiosity. They figure out what a potential food item is through an investigatory bite. I went to the Adventure Aquarium in NJ as part of the festivals of music trip in high school my senior year. They had several interactive exhibits include a touch tank for rays and one for bamboo sharks. They rays actually seemed to like the attention and being touched. The sharks on the other hand were much more timid (there were 15 minute breaks every hour for them). It was a really cool learning experience and very well supervised. The animals all seemed to be in very good condition.

as a minor (and slightly irreverent side note) Doc McStuffins has an episode about a shark bath-toy who sings about how everyone is afraid of him but he's not that bad. It's just really cute and I wish I could find the clip. the episode is called "Shark Style Toothache"

Mermaid Sabie
03-16-2015, 02:33 PM
'Im actually really glad that a kids show did that! I wish we could move past the "Jaws" mentality and educating the next generation is the way to go!

TheMerthropologist
03-16-2015, 07:01 PM
The cool thing about kids is that even if something scares them they still have this respect and are in awe of the strength. Kids still think learning is cool (and from my experience kids think sharks are really cool). I would really love more research methods like this (but with some more safety protocols perhaps)

Yulia
03-17-2015, 09:56 AM
This was all I could think of when I read the title:
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/tintin/images/f/f2/Shark-Proof_Submarine.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110718051943

PearlieMae
03-17-2015, 11:16 AM
^ hahahaha!!!

AptaMer
03-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Oh - that brings back memories. I read Le Trésor de Rackham le Rouge back when I was a kid, my mom & dad would pick up Tintin books whenever we were in a francophone country.

Also a company called Innserspace Productions has made a shark-shaped 2-seater recreational submarine with a snorkel sticking out of the dorsal fin they call the Seabreacher X

Mermaid Sabie
03-25-2015, 01:17 PM
Wow! What an interesting idea!

Capt Nemo
04-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Actually, the most efficient sub designs are the big rounded nose missile/attack subs. They create the least turbulence (drag) and acoustic signature. The noisiest thing on a sub is the active sonar which can pop a pulse of 300+db. (130db is the pain threshold)