PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear of an Orlando Mermaid School?

MermaidCelesteFL
03-19-2015, 07:21 PM
I've heard some resorts talking about how there are some mermaiding lessons being held throughout the week at various hotels and pools. I looked at their website, but I'm seeing nothing about there being any professional performers. How has this been going on in my backyard and I didn't know about it?

I saw a job posting for a character performer for them yesterday that literally said, "are you a mermaid? Apply here!". So I did. I left them with a resume, a cover letter with a link to my facebook fanpage, and a brief description of my experience. I just hope it pays well. I'll keep everyone posted.

East coast mermaid
03-19-2015, 07:30 PM
Wow I would definitely want to know more. I drive to Orlando almost every other weekend.

MerMel
03-19-2015, 10:06 PM
cool! Hope you can catch it!

MermaidCelesteFL
03-19-2015, 10:11 PM
So I just did my phone interview with the owner of the company, and I didn't get the job. I had too much "professional experience", and my expectations were too high.

For those of you who were interested in working for the company, they are looking for swim teachers, not performers and they don't want to work with pay rates similar to mine (125/hr wet or 75/hr dry), but they could be your cup of tea if you have a fabric tail and some more free time than just weekends.

MerMel
03-19-2015, 10:19 PM
ah oh well...

If someone hasn't already done it, I'd say go for it if there's a place to do it... maybe one of the "learn to surf" or scuba places around the area.
There is surely a market for it with the amount of international tourists that come through the area.

Getting the marketing out so people know about it is the hard part. A lot of tourists stay in Orlando/Kissimmee instead of venturing out to places like Weeki Wachee (who does have a mermaid class) partly because of the distance and partly because they just don't know about it with all the other flyers...

I'm actually surprised that Disney hasn't tried to do something like that at one of their water parks... They've likely discussed it, but then again with my experience in Guest Relations, I can see how they would decide against such a thing being all overly "Safety First" to avoid any possibility of astute parent trying to sue if something did happen like if a student sucks in a mouthful of water... Its amazing what sorts of things guests will do.

East coast mermaid
03-20-2015, 11:27 AM
I did some digging around and Disney is allowing "themermaidacdamy" to host mermaid classes in Walt Disney swan and dolphin resort, there is a whole list of locations they teach at, and they even have shark fins for the boys.

LauraLWatson
03-25-2015, 04:40 AM
I have been watching The Mermaid Academy for a while, especially since their logo includes the word Dallas (where I'm based). I must say, I am not impressed. Boys wear shark fins (hello- mermen?). Students are always pictured seated and one student swimming at a time (not certified instructors who teach in circle swimming, as the American Red Cross advocates). And no, not professional mers teaching the course. It's a money grab from tourists. But man, they sure do have a lock on that tourist dollar and good marketing.

<shameless plus> The Mercademy, opening in Plano, Texas May 3, will have fabric tails for students to purchase (exactly the same kind as the mermaid academy, but ours are from 2Tails, our sponsor). There is a class for children ages 7-14, and one for adults, 15+. The adult class has already sold out. We are focused on safety, basic swim skills, and underwater confidence. For advanced classes, like our week long professional workshop in June, we dive into things like tricks, hair, makeup, different water sources, etc. If anybody is ever in Texas and wants to drop in for (or to teach) a class, let me know! Sundays are for beginners, and the week long professional/advanced workshops are June 15-20, with a public performance on June 20 at a rooftop pool (along with our troupe's Merlesque performance: Poor Unfortunate Souls.) <shameless plug over>

LauraLWatson
03-25-2015, 04:43 AM
Oops. Forgot the important part of the shameless plus: www.TheMercademy.com or facebook.com/themercademy

TheMermaidAcademy
06-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Hi All, I don't usually respond to things that are said about our company as I have respect for The First Amendment and value the feedback. However, while feedback and thoughts are one thing, someone "shamelessly plugging" her own business while trashing ours is a little sad. Let me just clear up a couple of things. We started this business based off our daughters love for mermaids. The look in her eyes when she saw her first mermaid tail or when she learned how to use it was something I will never forget. Our business is just about introducing little girls and boys to the mer-world during our one hour hotel activity. Letting them believe in something others might say is not real. I can't tell you how many kids tell us each week how they are made fun of by their "friends" because they believe in mermaids....you should see their faces when they actually get to put on a mermaid tail!!!. We are not money grabbing from tourists although we are in business to make money. We value the short 1 hour we get with these children and all of our instructors care deeply for these kids. Yes, we have sharks...some boys...but mostly fathers.....will not allow their boys to wear a mermaid tail so we have to have an activity for them. I have always found Mernetwork and the people I have met here to be very friendly and supportive of each other as well as protective when others use this kind of behavior. I would like to think that there is no place on this site for this type of thing. Finally, nobody is perfect and our business is not perfect. We try every day to give these children an experience that allows them to continuing dreaming before the real world kicks them in the butt. I would encourage any of you who live in the Orlando area to come out, free of charge, and experience what it is that we do and how we touch children's lives every day. Hope you all have a great day!
The Mermaid Academy

Mary Marine
06-05-2015, 11:52 AM
That's a shame about the dads who won't let their sons wear tails. It's good that you've found an alternative so they aren't left out of the fun!

MerMel
06-05-2015, 05:44 PM
That's a shame about the dads who won't let their sons wear tails. It's good that you've found an alternative so they aren't left out of the fun!
Indeed, maybe these dads listen to country instead of rock... There was a short promo about this on 101.1 (http://www.wjrr.com/onair/lynch-taco-39830/we-sent-jordan-the-lead-intern-13623868), the local modern rock station just last week. I'd say they should try it themselves before they knock it lol

Sage Rocks! lol Lynch and Taco talking about it with Jordan may have had me going "oh jeez... men lol" during the 5 minute bit about how hot she is and whether having a tail could be a chick magnet, but it really had me laughing my way to work that day.

http://bit.ly/1SBIbm1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qJmDxPsxgk

I'm really curious about the tails now, are they all custom/hand made? the monofin looks cool too with the built in socks.

Merman Dan
06-05-2015, 10:36 PM
I'm actually surprised that Disney hasn't tried to do something like that at one of their water parks...

Apparently 101 people want to see River Country reborn as Neverland (http://www.disneyfanatic.com/8-controversial-changes-disney-world/?fb_comment_id=746839625406562_760585060698685&comment_id=760585060698685&offset=0&total_comments=143), complete with Mermaid Lagoon. :)

MerMel
06-06-2015, 01:43 AM
yea... the original Discovery Island in Bay Lake is still used occasionally for private functions... I think the kids pirate adventure from Contemporary still goes there.

I may be wrong but I think the master plan has something about reclaiming RCW for expansion of the Wilderness Lodge.

Mermaid Jaffa
06-06-2015, 02:52 AM
They are The2Tails monofins.