PDA

View Full Version : Repainting my tail

MermaidKaelyn
03-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Hello fellow mermaids!

I received my partial silicone mermaid tail about a year and a half ago and I've noticed that the paint is rubbing off and I can see the fabric beneath it. I use my tail a lot for both land and water events so its time for a new paint job. However the Mertailor isn't responding to my emails so I decided to paint it myself. I don't know what kinds of paints and procedures to use so any advice would be most appreciated! Please and thank you!

Best wishes and fishy kisses,
MermaidKaelyn

Yulia
03-22-2015, 07:02 PM
Is it this one:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/3cf69b0ac68f832e8a545ab9ed1b5afd/tumblr_ms6z7sJWe31rapublo1_1280.jpg

or this one?

https://www.themertailor.com/image/mertailor/customer_reviews/57_Kebrina_Josefina_De_Jesus.jpg

AnnaAbyss
03-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Pearl Ex pigments are apparently great. :)

MermaidKaelyn
03-22-2015, 07:34 PM
The second one, sorry I didn't clarify.

Theta
03-23-2015, 11:58 AM
I use normal acrylic paints when I'm repainting my mertailor tail. (My tail is like the second one as well.) They're not super durable and you've got to repaint it after every event, but it's worked well for me and I can change the colors around as it suits my mood (plus they're cheap and come in pretty metallics.) It might work well for you depending on how much you're using it.

MermaidKaelyn
03-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Thank you guys so much! I've been repainting it with the acrylic paint but I was hoping to find a better fix.

Prairie Mermaid Jamie
03-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Ge 1 window and door silicone caulk and powder pigments. Helps beef up the outside too. I used it to fix and repaint my tail like that. Works wonderfully and dirt cheap.

Mermaid Riia
03-24-2015, 12:23 PM
I was wondering about this too and almost made a new topic. Though I have a full silicone one the paint fades off pretty fast.. and with the green base (yes... on a purple pink tail..) makes all the paintless spots pop. I painted it once just recently with Psycho Paint and Pearl Ex pigments having fingers crossed knowing silicone can be tricky. So far it worked like a charm but after few uses I'm noticing the new coat peeling off (you can tear it off). When asking Mertailor about painting his "old" silicone tails he refuses to help and tells painting them is quite difficult. I bet it is, but any help would do :D it's not nice to go around with spots of green poking through your tail. So I messaged smooth on, hopefully they can help. Do you guys have any advice, idea or comment on this? Did I do something wrong, any advice, personal experience?