PDA

View Full Version : Feet keep slipping out of partial silicone flipper- ideas?

Mermaid Olivia!
03-28-2015, 02:39 PM
I absolutely love my new partial silicone tail!!! But after a couple swims, I'm still having problems keeping my feet in the foot pockets. I ordered the smallest size mertailor offers since I have really tiny feet. Every time I swim, I am fine for a few minutes, but then the strap slides off and I have to take the tail completely off to get the strap back on my ankles. Any ideas for ways to fix this? I've already tried neoprene socks, but they just roll down in the water and make the straps come off faster. I'm thinking about trying a pair of water shoes or something.

Mermaid Enora
03-28-2015, 03:01 PM
REI sells some thicker material ankle socks try that maybe?

Meronica
03-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Maybe wear two pairs of socks? Water shoes may work if your feet are really super tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

telzey.amberdon
03-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Try looking up fin keeper straps. Its a y strap you may be able to retrofit to keep your fins on. If it works post pictures. I have not had time to work mine up yet.

AniaR
03-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Half socks or full socks. You can get neoprene ones with grips on them. That's what the girls with tiny feet in my company use for the too big monofins in tails :)

Mermaid Olivia!
03-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! This afternoon, I took the fin to our local dive shop and they fitted me with some short dive boots, really similar to these: http://www.amazon.com/NeoSport-Wetsuits-Premium-Neoprene-Black/dp/B000LK1OAE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427590905&sr=8-2&keywords=dive+boots

They really make a difference and add just enough bulk that my feet are comfortably secured in the pockets and not sliding all over- I do believe that I have found a solution! I'll take them to the pool tomorrow and try them out, but I feel confident that I'm not going to have any more slipping strap issues!!!! :phew: Those fin keeper straps sound interesting- never heard about anything like that, so I'll have to check it out!

telzey.amberdon
03-28-2015, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the tip, I have only tried socks before and the straps slip right off. So now I have boots coming, here's hoping!

AniaR
03-29-2015, 02:24 AM
The texture makes a diff I find. Good luck

Mermaid Riia
03-29-2015, 05:33 PM
You need to summon Mermaid Nerissa for this one. I think she has this all solved :) will hint her now

Mermaid Olivia!
03-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Yay!!! The little dive boots worked wonders!!!! :yay:The gripped soles held my feet in place, and not once did the ankle strap budge! As a matter of fact, my feet were so snug that getting my tail off required quite a bit of elbow grease, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make as long as my feet stay in the pockets while I'm swimming LOL :lol:! Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas!

Merenneito Nerissa
03-30-2015, 03:20 AM
And tsap* thanks Riiarin XD

Yep, I had exactly same problem and it was making me crazy, especially when this happened in a gig when they lifted me from one pool to another and they had to carry me all the way back to changing space to take the tail off and put the strap back and so on... I also tried different socks and no help.

So this is how I solved it; I used same kind of a material as the strap cause it's soft and comfortable, then I put the same kind of a strap going over my ankles, attached both sides to the old straps, so now it is securing my feet from slipping away :) Other side of the strap is open and you can tighten the strap from that side, it's a bit hard though cause the tail is so fitting but still do-able. This is the only thing I've found really working

Merenneito Nerissa
03-30-2015, 03:24 AM
And those fin keepers, we have few of them in our diving club and I was also suggested to try them, but I don't think they work with this problem. With big monofins they are great cause there's this same kind of structure that is with normal fins, but when there's only this soft strap it was a bit hard to figure out how to attach them and where :D

Silin
03-30-2015, 06:01 AM
Water shoes could be a good solution!!

Mermaid Olivia!
03-30-2015, 11:03 AM
That's a neat idea to add a strap on top! :)

26494926bdgqifkwb
03-30-2015, 12:16 PM
I don't even use my strap anymore because it was so uncomfortable to try to put it back on in the water. I swim much more freely without it, and my giant feet like to stay in the pockets.

Merenneito Nerissa
03-30-2015, 02:01 PM
I agree, it feels also good for me as well, swimming without the strap I mean, but then the string attaching the edges of the tail skin over the fluke's edge ( woww... this is hard to explain... But at least I think that you who own partials know what I mean?) stresses the mid-point of the fluke so much more than when I use the strap. Cause there's this common problm that the mid-point starts to rip... :S

26494926bdgqifkwb
03-30-2015, 02:41 PM
As long as my toes stay at the bottom of the fluke, mine doesn't strain. I know what you mean, though. My mertender will sometimes pull too much on my fluke when moving me around.

Mermaid Olivia!
03-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Kaitey, its amazing how you can swim so gracefully without using the strap! Whenever mine slid off my fluke was just like, "nope, not doing this, I have a mind of my own" LOL! :lol:

Merenneito Nerissa
03-31-2015, 03:36 AM
At first when my tail was a bit too big it was absolutely impossible to even think of swimming when strap wasn't on. But after my tail was taken in and it fits me tightly now the fluke is usable even it slips of, but still want to use the strap though cause I also feel that my swimming isn't even near graceful when swimming without strap... Feels exactly like that Olivia :D Struggling with this huge living silicone clump... :D