PDA

View Full Version : New mermaid movie coming out!

Theta
03-30-2015, 12:26 PM
A movie adaptation of the novel "The Moon and The Sun" will be coming out... soonish? It's in production now. It's about a mermaid captured by Louis XIV, the Sun King. Fan Bingbing is the mermaid.

Not a lot of mermaid pics in the article below, but there are some stills from land scenes and some cool mermaid concept art:

http://www.dramafever.com/news/fan-bingbing-is-a-mermaid-captured-by-pierce-brosnan-in-the-moon-and-the-sun-movie/

(Edit: for those of you who are sticklers for historical accuracy in costuming, be prepared to throw up on your shoes. The whole thing looks like a vaguely Versailles-inspired shoot for Seventeen's prom issue.)

Seraphina Suds
03-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Yay for non white mermaids in media! Boo for those costumes though... that's a pretty far cry from even remotely historical.

ShyMer
03-30-2015, 12:53 PM
It said this film was based on a book. I think I'll have to keep an eye out for it too.

TheMerthropologist
03-31-2015, 08:20 AM
If only the costumes were more lavish at least. Historically accurate would be great to but I would be great to but for the court of the sun king these ensembles seem drab. I'm not getting the aura of luxury that should be produced by the French nobles of King Louis XIV reign.(but hey, you warned us). It's cool that they will be filming in Versailles, at least that won't be wrong, ha!

Other than that this sounds rad actually, I could see Louis kidnapping a mermaid. That sounds like something he would do. I may hAve to track down thus book. Also Fan Binging is gorgeous!

Nyx
03-31-2015, 09:06 AM
Ooooh this looks really cool! that's awesome, gotta add it to the list of things to watch.
As far as the lavishness, these are all images before final editing right?? Sometimes the final touches can reaaalllly change how things look and what aura they give off.
Color details and changes can do magical things in aspect of mood, from what I've seen.

Either way, super cool, super excited. More mermaid movies to my collection eeeyyy!

AptaMer
03-31-2015, 04:09 PM
It said this film was based on a book. I think I'll have to keep an eye out for it too.

I read the book, The Moon and the Sun, by Vonda McIntyre.

http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Sun-Vonda-N-McIntyre/dp/0671567659/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427832440&sr=1-3&keywords=sun+moon

I loved it!

Anahita
04-01-2015, 02:17 AM
Ugh, for having the budget it does, the costumes are absolutely terrible. It looks like covers for romance novels.

BUT.... I'm excited for the mermaid. I hope she turns out better than whoever they hired for the wardrobe department. (Ok, but seriously, wtf is with the wardrobe department for that movie? There's LOADS of 18th century costumes in the warehouses, and it's REALLY common/easy to reuse costumes for movies, there's whole blogs dedicated to it for historical films. It can't cost that much)

Rett
04-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Not quite sure about this movie, but I'll give it a go since there's a mermaid in it ;)

Kishiko
04-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Looks interesting! With Pierce Brosnan Im assuming this is actually going to be in theatres?

malinghi
04-03-2015, 11:56 AM
When you mentioned the costumes I thought, "Oh, I probably won't even notice since I'm no expert on 17th century french fashion." But then I clicked on the link, and wow, that's distractingly inaccurate.

Ashe
04-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Maybe they will sort out the wardrobe later? I skimmed through and didn't see if it was in production or not. But for the time being, it does look like it could shape up to be a very pretty film.

forgettoremember
04-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Apparently, it's coming out this weekend! I haven't found any movie theater information on it, which is unfortunate. I was able to find some more concept art, though. I like the look of the jellyfish interaction, as scary as it makes me. (Back up a little! It'll sting your face!) http://www.deborahriley.me/D_R/D_R_Moon_%26_Sun.html#1

Princess Pearl
04-08-2015, 10:14 AM
According to IMDB, it's been pulled from Paramounts release schedule.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2328678/news?ref_=tt_nwr_1#ni58424221

Post production is "taking longer than expected."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Miyu
04-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Please let's hope that it's taking longer because they're making up for those costumes in post-production... :sweat drop:

SeaGlass Siren
04-19-2015, 06:57 AM
OH MY GOD FAN BINGBING!!! I LOVE HER.

She'll make a wonderful mermaid!! I super loved her in "King of china" (I refuse to call it empress of china because the people actually called her king/emperor, not empress)

Also, I'm usually never a stickler for period costumes, but this movie looks like a hot effing mess. This looks nothing like what the people would've worn.

Mermaid Galene
04-19-2015, 10:04 AM
This will certainly be worth seeing for the mermaid. But Pierce Brosnan as Louis XIV? I love him in some roles, but, in my mind, he's way too Irish and way too Bondish to play a French king! He looks ridiculous in long curly wigs and frills.

Think I'll go watch some old episodes of Remington Steele...

Echidna
04-19-2015, 10:10 AM
I super loved her in "King of china" (I refuse to call it empress of china because the people actually called her king/emperor, not empress)

May I ask where you watched it?
I tried to look it up on the chinese web (since it's only been streamed to Mainland China so far), and got the wonderful "you are not in mainland, sod off"-message again...

The series looks awesome btw, but why did they change the title from 武则天 to 武媚娘??
That's not even her real name before she was named Zetian.
Her childhood name was Yao, not Meiniang. wth

Edit: nvm, found an accessible version. hopefully the language isn't too modern

//yes, this was offtopic

SeaGlass Siren
04-19-2015, 07:17 PM
May I ask where you watched it?
I tried to look it up on the chinese web (since it's only been streamed to Mainland China so far), and got the wonderful "you are not in mainland, sod off"-message again...

The series looks awesome btw, but why did they change the title from 武则天 to 武媚娘??
That's not even her real name before she was named Zetian.
Her childhood name was Yao, not Meiniang. wth

Edit: nvm, found an accessible version. hopefully the language isn't too modern

//yes, this was offtopic
I watch the vietnamese subbed version on youtube. they're still speaking chinese if you're looking, though i dont know if the subs will distract fromt eh amazingness that is this updated drama. the vietnamese name for it is Vo Thach Tien

Echidna
04-20-2015, 07:41 AM
Thanks!
There's a version with chinese subs, which I really need to understand what's going on lol.
In fact, I had to look up some of the court speeches in the dictionary, but my chinese sucks after living in Europe so many years :p

So far, I absolutely love it.
I just hope they didn't really poison that cat in episode 7?8? though, that looked too damn realistic for my taste ugh.

SeaGlass Siren
04-20-2015, 08:56 AM
I wonder how well her English is. I actually just want to see the movie just because she is in it.
Well. That and she's a mermaid.

deepblue
06-24-2015, 06:33 PM
They are now saying that the film is due for release in December of this year.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_moon_and_the_sun/

SeaGlass Siren
06-24-2015, 08:06 PM
AWE HEOO YESSS!