PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advise on finding the right tail

Shimmer's mom
04-16-2015, 01:06 AM
Hello,

I am seeking to purchase a tail for my 7-1/2 yo daughter. It will be her third tail. She had one last year and one the year before, and while they were beautifully fitting, custom-made spandex tails, with finnis monofin, they fell apart to shreds within 2 months. She really wants to go "up a notch" with her next tail, but we are having trouble finding the right one. She would love something more realistic, ideally with textured scales (though I know that is not possible with fabric). It seems there are either basic fabric tails or super amazing silicone, but I haven't seen much in between. We would definitely want something custom-made, to assure a snug fit, and our budget is about $300. Any suggestions or advise is welcomed!

I've looked at the Mertailor Eco tail (though my daughter is not excited about them as they look just like her old ones but with maybe better paint-job) but I was turned off by their customer service and brusk and unhelpful response to my questions, and plus, it seems anything custom-made with them could take way too long and we might not even get it for the season. I've also looked at FinFun, but it looks like those are not custom-made. Any other companies making high quality spandex tails that are custom made and maybe with scale design?

Is there anything more substantial than fabric but not as heavy/expensive/tough as silicone? I've heard people talking about neoprene but haven't seen anyone making these in our price range. Looks like Siren's Calling makes them for $540. Neoprene seems like it could be a good next level choice (thoughts?) - is there anything out there?

Any help invited!

Thanks!
Shimmer's Mom

Mer-Crazy
04-16-2015, 02:58 AM
Well a silicone tail is very ill advised for children simply because of how quickly they'll grow out of it. Neoprene would seem like a really good choice since it's a lot more sturdy than most fabrics. It's also fairly lightweight. Siren's Calling does seem to be the only one that makes neoprene tails to sell. Have you considered maybe making one yourself? Or getting the materials yourself and having a seamstress do it? If you wanted something with a 'scale' texture the only alternative that I know of to silicone is sequins

Mermaid Kassandra
04-16-2015, 03:08 AM
Hi maybe I can help!
I run a company with a friend of mine called Mer-tails and I think that maybe we have what your daughter is looking for.

Just have a look from your PC go to this link and then look for the "Tail & Entertaining Pricing" section and you can find a list with some pictures.

www.facebook.com/mermaidkassandra

At the moment our orders are stopped for one month (I hope for less anyway) because my friend is at the hospital for a serious problem but we are very fast in making tails and our Fusion Silicone Tails are ready in one month or at the maximum one month and a half.

If you want to ask anything feel free to contact us at our costumer service MermaidKassandra@Gmail.com
You'll receive an answer within 24h ;)

Hope this can help :)

Elle
04-16-2015, 03:21 AM
Mind you with Siren's Calling that may be the price for an adult tail. I'd suggest contacting Morticia just to check

Yulia
04-16-2015, 08:01 AM
Tigg's Tails offer neoprene/silicone tails for kids, they are 423USD and custommade.

Shimmer's mom
04-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Mind you with Siren's Calling that may be the price for an adult tail. I'd suggest contacting Morticia just to check

Thanks! I'll check!

Mermaid Alea
04-16-2015, 11:32 PM
The neoprene tails 100% covered in sequins could get expensive, but you could go for hand painted scales on neoprene with a few sequins sewn on. One of Kariel's old tails comes to mind where she hand painted scales but on each scale she had 3 small sequin scales sewn to the top.

You could even buy a tail from someone then buy sequins and glue or sew a few on here and there for some of that 3D effect. :)

The people that have worked with sequins generally say to avoid holographic sequins because they don't hold up well in the water. The other kinds should be fine. Here is the topic about sequins: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?7426

Good luck I hope you find just what you are looking for! ;)

Shimmer's mom
04-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Thanks Mermaid Alea - do you happen to know anyone who could make? Any suggestions?

Raayvhen
04-17-2015, 02:57 PM
I'm willing to do a neoprene tail for you painted or sequined at cost. I'm trying to get more into Tailmaking.
The other option is what I did for my tail. It's neoprene with a smooth coating of silicone. I've been using it for well over 8 months and it's holding up really well.

Shimmer's mom
04-17-2015, 09:35 PM
I'm willing to do a neoprene tail for you painted or sequined at cost. I'm trying to get more into Tailmaking.
The other option is what I did for my tail. It's neoprene with a smooth coating of silicone. I've been using it for well over 8 months and it's holding up really well.

Do you have pictures? How can I find you on net?