PDA

View Full Version : Mer-friendly pools in MA?

Sassenach
04-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Hey NE mers! I've saved half of what I need for a silicone Mernation tail ([muffles an excited scream into my pillow)] and I've started to do a little research into pools I could swim in during the winter. I'm in Norfolk (about 45 minutes outside of Boston) and am looking for something around 20 minutes away(: Thanks!

Mermaid Lyra
04-20-2015, 07:57 PM
I live in Providence RI currently.. I would ask at local pools. They are usually pretty cool and actually love it!! Just get to know the people who run the place its usually pretty easy to get a yes!

Sassenach
04-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Sweet! The nearest pool to me is at a YMCA so I shot the local aquatics director an email, but I still haven't heard back so I might not be getting an answer...

Mermaid Lyra
04-20-2015, 10:40 PM
The Y I go to is awesome about it. It's honestly about talking to lifeguards on duty

Sassenach
04-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Really? I was actually expecting them to say no because of the pool rules on their website (no extended breath holding or underwater swimming, so... basically mermaiding lol). I wanted to find out before I spent money on a membership because I'm broke enough to begin with and I didn't want to pay for one if only some lifeguards would let me use my tail haha. Is there a specific time you go, like early so there aren't many people?

Mermaid Lyra
04-21-2015, 10:23 AM
I usually go really early or in the middle of the day.I would also look at the Y's aquatic schedule... when there are more lanes open the better it is to go.
Ask the people at the Y if you can take a tour and they will show you the pool and then you can ask the lifeguard on duty what they think. If you explain what you are doing they are super chill. At least at the one I go to! Usually people are really interested (I've only really brought my huge monofin but all the lifeguards are excited to see my finished tail) and if you have a lane to yourself it's a lot easier to just swim around.

I hope this helps! :D

Sassenach
04-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Super helpful, thank you so much!