PDA

View Full Version : Finally coming out to say hello!

ShyMer
12-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Hello there!

I've been sneaking around MerNetwork for a bit, so maybe it's time I introduced myself.

I'm based in the central Maryland area, though right now I'm living on the edge of West Virginia, which I'm falling more in love with the longer I stay.

Studied Art Ed at Towson, though I haven't found a job yet. I'm considering seriously making wings and other art stuff instead. Teaching positions are tough to come by, and I'm not really sure it's the environment I want to be in after all. I guess this is a "growing time".

I have an odd assortment of interests, including mushroom hunting, orchids, bread making, Painter, watercolors, hermit crabs, biking, knitting, and other stuff I've probably forgotten. I'm also into Martial arts- currently studying Tang Soo Do and beginning to learn the Yang style of Tai Chi.

By the way, did you know you could make super crusty bread in a dutch oven? Bread is like MAGIC or something.

I guess I'm one of those kids who wanted to be a mermaid since they saw The Little Mermaid and Splash, though honestly it never occurred to me to make a tail. I think it wasn't until I stumbled across a video of the lovely mers at the Sacramento dive bar a few months back that I realized it was possible be a mermaid. I do have a tail- I made myself a silver spandex tail with mirror sequins and a Rapid inside. Being a mermaid for the first time was one of the best birthday presents ever:)

Eventually I think I'll make myself a more advanced tail. I've been watching the discussions about various kinds of latex and am super interested in how the natural latex thread will turn out eventually. I'd like to see some reliable alternatives to Alex.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Welcome!

Making wings is a lot of fun... I have a few that I've made myself, or made with my mom's help (she's the one who sews in the family... I just find stuff that looks like other stuff and then assemble them, preferably with hot glue).

I took Shotokan karate for years before I had to drop it in high school (time constraints), but I've also taken fencing lessons (and was amazed how the stances were remarkably similar) and been learning more about tai chi recently.

Your tail sounds awesome!

ShyMer
12-12-2011, 03:31 PM
It is pretty amazing how much different fighting disciplines have in common:)

Tai Chi is designed for older people to continue to practice martial arts but is still challenging- I've seen videos of people crouching super low in their patterns twenty minutes or so long that I can only wish someday I'll be able to do. Really works the leg muscles.
The subtle hand movements and hidden applications are pretty sweet too.

So you've made organza/other fabric style wings? They're not always my favorite but can look pretty nice if done well. I'm into paper mostly right now. Made myself a super huge six foot wingspan set of luna moth wings in October. That was a challenge. On a related note, baking is rather tough for fairies. Can't fit in the kitchen real well <3

Mermaid Luna
12-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Welcome, ShyMer! Ooooh, do you have any photos of your wings? I adore fairies and plan on wings with my wedding dress similar to these http://www.popeater.com/2010/07/09/say-yes-to-the-dress/.

Mermaid Sirena
12-15-2011, 02:30 PM
@Shymer Welcome? Hello? Hi? I don't know sense we talked and everything and you've been around :P Bread is defiantly magic, especially when you do it just right and it comes out and its all warm and tasty and perfect <3

@Luna ME TO! Though I want to go all out and either get married in a forest a beach or at a ren fair ^_^ Don't know what my fiance would think of all that though.

Mermaid Shelly
12-15-2011, 02:32 PM
It is wonderful to meet you! :) I'm curious about your dutch oven bread technique... sounds yummy!

ShyMer
12-15-2011, 03:18 PM
I love those film wings! I haven't gotten a chance to try those yet, but I love the shapes you can get with them.
Right now I'm using paper, which I love. I can get some pretty nice colors and detail out of it. It's a bit of a pain to work with sometimes, but I like the feel of it. I also make them so they move better than the strap on style.

The dutch oven is particulary great for artisan style breads because it holds the steam in better than our ovens- the steam allows the bread to continue to expand and the crust gets crispier. I'm still learning techniques for making better bread but I'm probably never going to buy bread from the store again <3

I'll post a recipe and some links sometime.

ShyMer
12-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Oh and I'm so glad to meet you all as well! You all are so sweet <3

Mermaid Shelly
12-15-2011, 03:26 PM
The dutch oven is particulary great for artisan style breads because it holds the steam in better than our ovens- the steam allows the bread to continue to expand and the crust gets crispier. I'm still learning techniques for making better bread but I'm probably never going to buy bread from the store again <3

I'll post a recipe and some links sometime.

That sounds amazing! Please do, I would love that :)

ShyMer
12-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Here's my FB with some pictures of wings I've done. It's not all of them, just the ones I've taken photos of.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.271639186186392.87359.100000209382689&type=1&l=92ebf0b1ed

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Wow, the wings look incredible! Are you familiar with the comic Soulfire from Aspen Comics? They have some really incredible wings.

ShyMer
12-16-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm adding that to my list of things to read. I love what I see- her wings have an interesting and unusual structure to them, like a mix of dragonfly and bat style. The curves and veining are gorgeous. I've wanted an excuse to make bat type wings, maybe I'll do a Soulfire inspired set sometime.

HBMermaid_Angela
12-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Do you take commissions on the fairy wings?? I would love a pair!

ShyMer
12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Aww Yay! I'm glad you like them.
I've only done one commission before but was hoping to do many more. Making new wings is almost more fun for me than flitting around in them myself<3

I don't have an etsy up yet, as I'm rather unsure about whether or not I'm ready for that kind of step.
I do want to sell them. Anyone have any tips for how to set up a shop and what things I'll need to prepare for?

Mermaid Luna
12-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Oh WOW ShyMer, you do phenomenal work! Those are gorgeous!