PDA

View Full Version : How to be a Mermaid Classes & Camps

Mermaid Sirena
12-12-2011, 08:21 PM
There are so many camps and classes and things around for aspiring mers to attend and learn from, but they are scattered and not many people seem to know about them or forget after a while. So here is a listing of all the how to be a mer classes and camps I know of, hopefully the list will grow!

MeduSirena
~ Information (https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150306926999900)
~ Calendar (http://www.medusirena.com/calendar.php) (Occasionally shows a prescheduled lesson)

Weeki Wachee Springs
~ Sirens of the Deep Mermaid Camp (http://weekiwachee.com/camps/sirens-of-the-deep-mermaid-camp.html)
~ COST: $350
~ AGE: 30 years of age and up
~ Adventures Under the Spring Mermaid Camp (http://weekiwachee.com/camps/mermaid-camp.html)
~ COST: ?
~ AGE: ? (assuming under 18)
Unfortunately at this time they do not offer any camps or training for young mer's between 18 and 29. They were very kind in the reply and even reminded me that we are mermaids weather on land or sea. Hopefully they will create a camp for those of us in this missing age group, until then we must wait.

Iara Mandyn
~ Training Services (http://www.iaramandyn.com/training_services/)

Mermaid Kat (Katrin Felton)
I saw someone asked on Mermaid Kat's page about her training classes, this is what she said.
Hey ((Name removed)), I live in Phuket, Thailand so I give mermaid classes over here. I also travel to give workshops but of course only if transport and accommodation needs to be supplied There are many different variations for the mermaid class. This depends on your skills and needs. However there are always 3 basic sections.
- Some in-water training (Pool and Open Water)
- Some Classroom (Theory and Environmental awareness)
- Some basic Underwater modelling
- underwater- and on land photoshoot Depending on your strengths some areas might be focused on more than others. If you want a personalized workshop we can always have one to one classes and I could arrange accommodation for you over here in Thailand and if interested also combine it with a scuba diving course to extend your knowledge about the underwater world and give you a different and new angle to the Underwater World. When you are already certified we can also do some fundiving.

The next large workshop will be in November in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) however dates need to be confirmed. But I give also classes for only one or two people. So just let me know when you are planning to come over.

If you have any question please let me know

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Sweet oceankisses...
http://www.facebook.com/MermaidKat

Although these are not mermaid specific they are excellent to know for several reasons. It is a good selling point for yourself, clients feel safer, you can charge more, it opens the door to a greater variety of opportunities, it helps with your own personal comfort in the water and unknown situations.

~ CPR / First Aid / AED Certified for Adults, Children and Infants (you can easily be trained for all three at your local Red Cross)
~ Lifeguard Certified
~ SCUBA Certified (List of suggested courses (http://www.padi.com/scuba/padi-courses/diver-level-courses/recommended/default.aspx))
~ Free Dive Certified
~ Rescue Diver
~ Current Passport
~ Own Salt and/or Fresh water Scuba gear

A great many of the ideas listed here were gleaned from the impressive skills and service list of Linden Wolbert (http://www.mermaidsinmotion.com).

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Wow, cool... how many of these classes accept mermen as well? I'm pretty sure Weeki Wachee doesn't.

It was a cool idea to include the others... I try to keep my CPR / First Aid / AED certification up to date, though I left my lifeguard certification behind back in college.

I do keep my passport up to date, and my efforts to ensure my SCUBA certification have been repeatedly thwarted (heh, "thwarted" is such a fun word to say)

Mermaid Sirena
12-12-2011, 10:50 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't, email who ever you feel would be the most appropriate, I would think Barbara from the Sirens of the Deep page. She was very helpful and sweet.

I know I need to get re-certified in CPR/First Aid and AED, pretty sure it's been past the two year mark sense I haven't thought about renewing them sense starting college.

Hopefully your attempts at SCUBA shall succeed in the near future :D

AniaR
12-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Sirena, can we submit this for the blog? It would be perfect! Also, can you email me at raina@rainamermaid.com so we can talk about setting you as an admin on the blog too? Thanks babe <3 (I had your email and cant find it and FB pages dont wanna load properly for tonight for some reason)

New York Mermaid
12-13-2011, 12:01 AM
LOL i just contacted them the other Day about the sirens of the deep camp, I would love to do it, My mother has always loved the weeki wachee mermaids and I figured i might just surprise her :) in May

Mermaid Luna
12-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Wow, thanks for doing this, Sirena! It's such a great resource for those of us searching for this stuff! =)

Mermaid Sirena
12-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Not a problem mers! If anyone finds anything weather mermaid specific or just underwater training for safety or modeling post it here or PM me and it will be added to the master list :D

Ofcourse AniaR this can be added to the blog! I would love to be an admin, messaging you right now :D

AniaR
12-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Ofcourse AniaR this can be added to the blog! I would love to be an admin, messaging you right now
Thanks baby doll! I;ll email you tonight or tomorrow, a lot on the go! <3

SireniaSolaris
12-15-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm sure the Siren's of the Deep mermaid camp would welcome anyone of age. I went early this year and got my certification. I'm 23 and the youngest in our group was 19. In fact, of the 4 of us who went, only one was 30, so just talk to Barbara if you are interested in going. I'm sure they will welcome you. Same with mermen. One of the days we were there, Southern Living came to do an article, and they actually put the guy in a mermaid tail and got him doing some of the things from the camp. They are wonderful at weeki wachee. The first option..... well - let's just say I've heard not too nice of things about. At all :(

Mermaid Saphira
12-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Not sure if they still do it...but ShimmerBaby Mermaids use to do mermaid classes, you even got to keep a custom made tail!!

Spindrift
12-15-2011, 10:36 PM
I thought that was with Dana Mermaid? Did that happen too?

Odette
12-16-2011, 03:36 AM
im actually working on the program for my mermaid class =) im trying to make it cheap and its for little girls and boys. im so excited!
im working on safety and guardian forms at the moment.

Mermaid Shelly
12-16-2011, 03:19 PM
It is probably too soon to mention this, but we're working on a proposal for a mer-camp at a local resort here in San Diego's North County. I am really excited about it and hope that they take the bait! If so, it would be a spectacular opportunity to introduce young mer-enthusiasts to the world of mermaiding and share some love and knowledge about protecting our oceans. Fins are definitely crossed :)

courtneymermaid
12-16-2011, 04:27 PM
It is probably too soon to mention this, but we're working on a proposal for a mer-camp at a local resort here in San Diego's North County. I am really excited about it and hope that they take the bait! If so, it would be a spectacular opportunity to introduce young mer-enthusiasts to the world of mermaiding and share some love and knowledge about protecting our oceans. Fins are definitely crossed :)

That's sounds really exciting! I'm keeping my fins crossed for you too! :D

Odette
12-16-2011, 07:35 PM
actually, mermaid shelly. i was gonna recommend your tails to the students who wanted a "real" tail.

Odette
12-16-2011, 07:37 PM
still wanna. i say "actually" too much. lol

Mermaid Shelly
12-17-2011, 09:29 AM
actually, mermaid shelly. i was gonna recommend your tails to the students who wanted a "real" tail.
Wow! Thank you sweetheart :)

Mermaid Sirena
12-17-2011, 01:05 PM
SireniaSolaris (http://mernetwork.com/index/member.php?497-SireniaSolaris) I wish they did but I spoke to Barbra when I first saw the age limit in the class and she confirmed that you had to be 30 to participate this might be a new policy that was instated after your camps. You are very lucky to of been able to attend.

When you ladies get your camps up and going let me know and we can add their information to the mast list!

SireniaSolaris
12-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Wow. That's really strange. I may email her in the new year, when I have some extra time to find out what is up with that. It's a camp that we plan on going to annually, and they had talked about seeing us again, too. I also noticed the price went up by $100!!?? I thought it was a typo here, but the website does indeed say $350 instead of the $250 it cost earlier this year. I will e mail them when I can to try to find out what is going on :(

SireniaSolaris
12-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Well, I did get to the bottom of it. I was initially going to keep it to myself, but I figured I'd shed an understanding light on it - apparently someone in her 20's did in fact take the camp when it was open to anyone, and right after that, went to a loacal aquarium where weeki wachee mermaids performed a show, undersold them and used her certification as credentials in order to do it. So, since someone used their own certification to steal one of their clients, they decided to not allow anyone the same age as their professional, working mermaids the opportunity that was so taken for granted.

It really steams me up that even in this industry, there are such dishonest, rotten people that ruin nice things for the rest of us. Don't know if it will do any good - they likely won't want to bother with it, but after the New Year, I plan on writing a thoughful letter. Suggesting the possibility of allowing the camp open under the protection of a non-compete contract - basically that in order to take the camp, you'd have to sign a contract stating that you are not permitted to do mermaid work within x amount of miles of weeki wachee. For the people who are serious about just learning or expanding their knowledge in the art, this shouldn't be a problem. And this would give them the peace of mind to know that they will be the only providers in their area, and if any clients are stolen, they will be able to get at least several thousand in lawsuit awards, and likely get their client back. But hopefully it wouldn't come to that - the contract itself should just be the deterrant to any dishonest, rotten people. It's something that is unfortunately a must, these days. My old dance studio needed non-competes, the balloon company I work with, and I even recently had to implement one of my own. :(

I really don't know that it will happen, but it's a suggestion worth making to them just in case they do consider it. It really was a wonderful camp that I really would like to enjoy yearly BEFORE I'm 30. But in any case, that's what happened and why the particular age group cannot take anything at weeki wachee. Shame on that girl!

Mermaid Sirena
12-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Thank you for getting to the bottom of it, I feel that you are actually in the best position to make those suggestions if you wish as you actually understand it all and have previously taken the class.

Unfortunately I'm not surprised by that answer. Honestly if someone is kind enough to show and teach you something you should respect them enough to at least not steal a client. This reminds me a little of how Alasea has helped me out so much in my journey to be a Mermaid, the way these wonderful women were willing to open up and show the public their secrets for the first time. I can't imagine for the life of me 'repaying' someone who has done me such a life changing favor by undercutting them and taking their hard earned clients. Especially in Florida where there is a substantially larger market for such things.

I suppose the only courses of actions to take are (1) hope they some day change their minds, (2) Take all the other trainings, (3) wait until of eligible age, or (4) apply to become a mermaid with them. Personally I hope to do #4 someday.

Also I remember reading some where that Mermaid Kariel also does mermaid classes, I didn't see any specific information on her website would anyone else have some information?

SireniaSolaris
12-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Oh, I wanted to be a mermaid with them. I'd be the happiest little person, making a living by swimming with the turtles and fish all day. Though you do gotta watch those turtles... they tend to mistake your ears and toes for bananas, which they love. Ouch. They're still adorable though :)

In any case, they were actually interested until they found out that I have a baby. It's a little unfair, but again, I do understand, and would probably have to rule the same if I were in their position... they can't have mermaids with such important commitments like that because that job is not one you can just call up a replacement for if your child gets sick all of a sudden. A call-out would result in a ruined show, so they can only have mermaids whose only commitment is their mermaid work. If only I'd discovered all of this before my mommy life started!

Mermaid Sirena
12-30-2011, 04:17 PM
That is awsome! That's one thing I keep hearing is that children can slow you down and prevent a great many oportinites, though on the other hand they can provide many wonderful moments and oportunities with in them selves. I'm guessing they don't really have back up mer's do they? Any advice for ladies who would want to apply there?

SireniaSolaris
01-18-2012, 03:22 AM
No. No back-ups. I doubt they could afford to fund understudies. Unfortunately they don't get the funds they deserve. The state is cutting back even more. Last I heard, even their gift shop was having to close down. That's why even if I can't take their camp myself, I'll still be donating 1 camp fund to them each year. I think they are super important to the foundations and history of the mermaid community, so I want to do all I can to support them. April is my donation month :)

Mermaid Saphira
02-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I wthink it would be really cool to start a local mer camp! Maybe in the future...

New York Mermaid
02-05-2012, 05:01 PM
man if i lived in florida..lol I have no kids and i am currently doing part time work, hell i;d jump in on that opportunity quick.

Gem Stone
02-05-2012, 08:53 PM
ive been to weeki watchee mermaid camp several times and i can truthfully say that they are running on just enough mermaids to do each show. seriously, if one goes missing, they have to stress out about finding her or calling up another mermaid who's supposed to have a day off to come up and join. or they have to make the little mermaid lose a sister. it was really sad. they need people badly. and this may seem a little concieted, but i want to help weeki watchee get enough money so they can 'buy themselves' back away from the state. i know it would take a lot but i think that if it worked, than it would be worth it

Sea Pearl
02-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Working at weeki wachee would be a wonderful opportunity and swim and perform in their mermaid shows. Making people smile and capturing children’s imaginations. I wish there was some kind of mermaid camp around the Denver area. I would defiantly go!

Mermaid Mako
03-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Well, I did get to the bottom of it. I was initially going to keep it to myself, but I figured I'd shed an understanding light on it - apparently someone in her 20's did in fact take the camp when it was open to anyone, and right after that, went to a loacal aquarium where weeki wachee mermaids performed a show, undersold them and used her certification as credentials in order to do it. So, since someone used their own certification to steal one of their clients, they decided to not allow anyone the same age as their professional, working mermaids the opportunity that was so taken for granted.

Thank you so much for sharing, I was really wondering about that. What a shame...though I had a hunch it was due to them not wanting to create competition for themselves. It's sad that they had an actual case of it though. I'm part of the belly dance community in my area and there are stories of girls undercutting each other for gigs--we all lose a little when that happens, overtime it drops the local going rate. :(

Do they figure 30 is to old to be a pro though? :p That's rough!

If you end up writing a letter, I would totally send one their way to, maybe I can add my perspective of understanding their situation as a performer. I'm sure my sis (also a dancer interested in the camp) would send one too.

SireniaSolaris
03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
I mean, I'm sure the more letters they get of interested people in the camp, also explaining alternatives (like a no compete contract) would help. And merLune, that's exactly my boat. Before I left South FL in 2007, I was always overbooked on weekend shows, as was pretty much everyone. Bellydance shows went for $200 for a 20 min show, and I had a show booked pretty much every hour on the weekends from about lunch time til late night. Then I went to Tallahassee for a few years, and when I came BACK - omg! There were so many new dancers here, all undercutting each other. It was horrible. The going rate had gone down to $150 per HOUR! To me, with everything that goes into the costuming, make up, music, and time to choreograph, it isn't even worth it to me anymore. That's why I only dance for hobby now, and not full time/professionally like I use to.

That's also why, as bad as it sounds, for damage control and damage prevention, the training program I'm creating is going to be very very strict as far as allowed work goes. People who go through, and complete the mermaid training and obtain a tail for work will have their own company cards to promote themselves, but work must be booked through the company. IF I end up creating a series of camps as well, there will be a non compete - likely an opportunity to join the company if one desires to do work in a "restricted area" per the non compete form. That would insure that our local mermaid rates (of $250/hr) is not harmed.

People just don't get it - a lot of people don't understand good ethics anymore, or just don't care about taking another person's client. And then some of the people who do, don't get the importance of maintaining value in the job market. So many people these days think anything over $10/hr is AMAZING!

My most popular service in my company is balloon twisting. Once upon a time (before the market crash), that service went for $300/hr. And people booked it left and right. Now it is only around $100/hr - 75 in my specific area. :( I was mortified when I found out one of the young girls I had taught was offering to do balloons at birthday parties for $30/hr!!!! And I had even told her what going rates were for parties prior to teaching her the trade.

If I begin contributing to mermaid lessons, I will NOT let that same tragedy happen with mermaid work.

Mermaid Sirena
03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
SirenaSolaris I like you post and your statement and look forward to seeing what happens :)

SireniaSolaris
03-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks. It just saddens me to see stuff like that happen - sometimes to the point of not wanting to do it anymore. That's why I really don't bellydance anymore. With what people caused it to go down to, it just isn't even worth it for me anymore, and so now I just do it for hobby.

Mermaid Sirena
03-21-2012, 10:38 AM
I hear you, I know I have a passion and a business I eventually want to open but can't do in my area because the competition has undercut the price to the point that they can't run it well and anyone who tries to start something knew can't afford to keep it going and gets run off by their competition.

Nixen Nicole
08-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Dana Mermaid offers a Mer Experience as well as Mermaid Swim School: http://www.danamermaid.com/

Mermaid Kariel offers a Fins to Fitness course: http://mermaidkariel.com/

and in June of 2013 we have this to look forward to: http://seatails.org/content/mermaid-photography-workshop

Gem Stone
08-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Anyone send their letters to Weeki Wachee? Cause my grandmother dropped me a hint that if I got enough girls (around 15-18) who'd go during a certain weekend, they might make an exception and have a camp for us. We could set one up for next summer?

Lyna
08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
i wanna go....

Sea Pearl
08-20-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm 22 and I would absolutely love to attend one of their mermaid camps. I wonder if they got enough people writing letters or expressing an interest, from the age group it's not available to, would they think again about starting something back up? Maybe not, but I've often thought about that.

Mermaid Sirena
08-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Information added about Mermaid Kat's training.

roamingmer
09-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Does anyone know if there are camps or pro mermaid In Bali? A Swiss friend of mine will be there on holiday and she recently confided that she always wanted to be a mer. Her mum wanted to call her Ariel but avoided the cliche. It would be a nice surprise / gift if there was a way to help her. She flies out there in 3-4 weeks

Mermaid Sirena
09-04-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm afraid I've posted the only ones I know of.

Mermaid Malibu
06-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Hi Merfolk!
Please remember Sheroes Entertainment with LA Mermaid School that starts up this Saturday, June 27th. They have a limited selection of child and adult sized tails. For more information and registration, please check out www.lamermaidschool.com. Sign up now because classes are almost at full capacity!

<3
Mermaid Malibu (one of the teachers)

Merman Andrew
01-01-2016, 12:47 AM
Hey there I have just started some new threads on known Mermaid classes and Mermaid Private lessons. see
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?12417-Mermaid-classes
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?12418-Mermaids-offering-private-swimming-lessons

Please add any that I've missed!

kristyann101
09-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Are there any mermaid classes in conroe or Houston TX