PDA

View Full Version : The Underwater Realm

Mermaid Sirena
12-13-2011, 01:11 PM
[I'm not certain if this is the correct forum thread, admins feel free to move.]

The Underwater Realm (http://www.theunderwaterrealm.com/)

I don't know how many of you have seen this name or the affiliated links floating around random mer's pages lately but I thought it would be a good idea to create a topic specifically for this creative and inspiring movie series to be.

What is The Underwater Realm? It is a series of short films set entirely underwater, "that will force the world to sit up and take notice."

http://vimeo.com/29658540

However this project needs help! They have done an amazing job thus far but need the support of the world and it's people to help them finish this stunning project.

Their kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/realmpictures/explore-the-underwater-realm) needs help! They are offering amazing rewards for a variety of budgets and willingness to give, even if it's only a dollar that's a dollar closer to being able to produce these films. If 1 person gives 1 dollar it might not seem like much but if all the people who could give a dollar did I'm certain they could this project diving full speed in no time.

Remember Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/realmpictures/explore-the-underwater-realm) is an all or nothing, either they receive the funds to help produce this beautiful seires in full, or they get nothing.

If nothing else spread the word!

Mermaid Saphira
12-13-2011, 05:01 PM
^ This looks so awesome! If they do mermaids...I will just die! LOL! I hope to see it some day soon :)

Aquatarian
12-13-2011, 05:34 PM
This sounds so cool! I love that it will be giving people a new sort of view on the ocean and the environment and how humans influence nature. I am soo looking forward to this!

malinghi
12-13-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't think there are merpeople... if they were they would have said so.

But still, this looks so f***ing cool! I totally want to see this!

Mermaid Sirena
12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
To my understanding there are no merpeople specifically though who knows maybe they will have a later appearance. Just watching their behind the scenes I have so many new idea's for costuming appearance, I hope they got the money they need. I would hate to see this project die.

Spindrift
12-14-2011, 06:03 PM

Mermaid Saphira
12-14-2011, 06:13 PM
^ AWESOME!!! :D

courtneymermaid
12-14-2011, 06:39 PM

Ha ha! That's rad! Woo!

Mermaid Saphira
12-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Mers are taking over! :D

Merman Dan
12-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Has everyone seen the trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0BNW1yjF0rc

The Underwater Realm will be released on YouTube on December 25th.

roamingmer
12-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Not heard of it before - but an interesting write up on their webpage

http://theunderwaterrealm.com/about/

It will be interesting to get to see the behind the scenes - free diving off Devon? Now that IS cold!

The Project

The Underwater Realm is a series of five short films set and shot almost entirely underwater. They tell the story of five times throughout history when mankind has come into contact with an ancient race of people living beneath the sea. Reaching back across over two thousand years of our history, The Underwater Realm is truly one of the largest and most ambitious indie film projects ever completed in the UK. Having already completed principal photography, the films are currently undergoing advanced post-production processes.

The Underwater Realm is the creation of Realm Pictures; a group of independent film makers working from their home county of Devon. They have been helped by the assistance of over 100 volunteers from across the country. It has taken two years and has required the volunteers to tackle overwhelming challenges, develop innovative technology and run shoots in a variety of challenging locations. The Underwater Realm is an entirely non profit, voluntary project, demonstrating the very best of the UK’s emerging film making talent.

The films highlight one of the most alien and exciting locations on our planet; the oceans. Thanks to their array of life and amazing curiosities, the seas provide an unparalleled sense of wonder and inspiration for communities all over the world. As independent film makers The Underwater Realm wanted to do the impossible and bring the full majesty of the oceans to the big screen. It has taken two years and has required the volunteers to tackle overwhelming challenges, develop innovative technology and run shoots in a variety of challenging locations. These films were made possible by thousands of donations from all round the world from those with a passion for the oceans and independent film. Many prominent environmental and educational figures such as Sylvia Earle and Chris Anderson have pledged their support both financially and personally.

“This is the most exciting project we’ve seen in twenty years. This project combines new technology and brilliant ideas with some deeply passionate filmmakers.”

Meet the cast (http://vimeo.com/54662120)

AptaMer
12-23-2012, 07:19 PM
They have a YouTube account that the director has been posting vlogs on.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RealmPictures/videos?view=0

MerAnthony
12-24-2012, 08:30 AM
COOL!!!

roamingmer
12-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Yeah id seen their official video blogs last week. I looking forward to the release, and the meet the cast (linked above) is definitely worth watching!. So many talented free divers and actors / actresses.

roamingmer
12-25-2012, 03:33 PM
It seems the site is now live - 5 'films' from 2012 / 1942 / 1588 / 1208 and 149 BC
http://theunderwaterrealm.com/watch/

Just watching 149 BC for some fantastic scenes..To capture the essence of a Mer. Beautiful gift for Christmas... I watch the rest tomorrow.

Aquatarian
12-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Just watched them all. They did a really nice job. :)

Everything looks really awesome. Really proud of them.

spottedcatfish
12-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Just watched them all. They did a really nice job. :)

Everything looks really awesome. Really proud of them.

I saw it this morning and I agree, it was done well, and the underwater acting was really good. Although they could have used a bit of dialog or narration to help each scene a bit more.

MerAnthony
12-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Looks fantastic I want to watch the whole thing together.

Mermaid Saphira
12-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Looks great so far! How exciting

roamingmer
12-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Having watched all of the short films it is truly beautiful scenes - you don't need a narrative just to open the mind and let the unlimited possibilities flow. And it confirmed the underwater world is serene.

Nemefish
12-26-2012, 12:55 PM
i just saw the films earlier this morning and they were pretty amazing :D ! I wish it was a movie instead of just 5 short films, i think a movie like that would be a cinematic hit :D

Claire the french mermaid
12-26-2012, 01:18 PM
I think create a whole serie a films almost entirely underwater is amazing ! Can wait to see more ! :) (But so bad they don't have tail ^^)

AniaR
12-26-2012, 02:08 PM
I really enjoyed it.

MermaidBrittany
12-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Oh wow they were great! I also wish they were a bit longer :P But what they have done is amazing.

AptaMer
12-29-2012, 01:01 AM
i just saw the films earlier this morning and they were pretty amazing :D ! I wish it was a movie instead of just 5 short films, i think a movie like that would be a cinematic hit :D

I think their plan all along has been to produce the shorts in order to develop the Atlantis world theme, and use them to raise money to produce a feature film. They did put out a request for mermaids to audition for the feature as well.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-12-2013, 12:11 AM
Hmm... I just now watched the five clips. An intriguing concept... though I'm still trying to figure out the themes. Obviously, the inhabitants of the Underwater Realm are scavengers in order to survive, and they seem to be drawn to humans in times of conflict on or near the seas... but the Hawaii video confused me... suddenly, the Underwater Realm's inhabitants hurt people instead of trying to save them or ignoring them? It seems a bit odd, especially since that one DIDN'T involve any human conflict. Also, if the couple was killed for disturbing the sea people's collection, then how did the camera make it to youtube? The blood brothers (or blood lovers) ritual was an interesting one, though I'm also curious about why it didn't work for the princess, when it worked for the guy from the Roman era. Was it because the other Underwater folk didn't circle the embracing human/sea person couple? Or because the girl didn't want to live? Or because she was still in love with her slain lover and not with the hunky sea hunter? Why were the sinking Roman and the Princess helped, the Cabin Boy ignored, the pilot observed, and the honeymooner's attacked? I guess I'll look forward to the full-length film, but I'm a bit confused by where this is going, and how the theme of "respecting the ocean" fits in.

azaiya
02-28-2013, 04:14 AM
I am making a plan to watch these! They look really tastefully done with lovely craft and artistry. I'm very picky when it comes to movies and TV (I can't even handle the cheese and tired tropes of most "regular" mer movies), but this has me intrigued!

SeaGlass Siren
02-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Hmm... I just now watched the five clips. An intriguing concept... though I'm still trying to figure out the themes. Obviously, the inhabitants of the Underwater Realm are scavengers in order to survive, and they seem to be drawn to humans in times of conflict on or near the seas... but the Hawaii video confused me... suddenly, the Underwater Realm's inhabitants hurt people instead of trying to save them or ignoring them? It seems a bit odd, especially since that one DIDN'T involve any human conflict. Also, if the couple was killed for disturbing the sea people's collection, then how did the camera make it to youtube? The blood brothers (or blood lovers) ritual was an interesting one, though I'm also curious about why it didn't work for the princess, when it worked for the guy from the Roman era. Was it because the other Underwater folk didn't circle the embracing human/sea person couple? Or because the girl didn't want to live? Or because she was still in love with her slain lover and not with the hunky sea hunter? Why were the sinking Roman and the Princess helped, the Cabin Boy ignored, the pilot observed, and the honeymooner's attacked? I guess I'll look forward to the full-length film, but I'm a bit confused by where this is going, and how the theme of "respecting the ocean" fits in.
Here's how I interpreted them:

First clip: honeymooners were attacked because Atlantans (website calls them that) were going extinct and humans have been polluting the oceans for centuries? it didnt look like they were being attacked because of "disturbing their sea collection." maybe they thought the honeymooners were gonna steal something? or it felt like they were intruding (they were wearing masks...maybe it was an equivalent to a black ski mask used for robberies/kidnappings/raids lol?)
I think the video camera was found by another diver diving in the same spot at a good time when they were not going to be victims of an attack. "oh what's this, someone's camera, let's see what's on this and try to find the owners, up to the surface we go!"

2nd clip: didn't rescue human because maybe the Atlantans thought they were dumping crap into the ocean (full sized planes... And bombs and dead bodies of their own people.. So maybe they thought "why should we save these guys when they try to kill their own kind. maybe all these factors created hate for humans?) Or maybe they COULDN'T save humans anymore but this theory doesn't make sense. Maybe he felt that the guy was alright and didn't need saving? But again it makes no sense.

3rd clip: almost the same theory as the above one.

4th clip: war was still happening. Dead bodies being thrown into water and stuff. So maybe that was when they stopped saving humans because there's no use, humans only want to kill each other, this one clearly wants to kill herself" simply put. I'm also using your theory of the encircling for the blood ritual.

5th .. I'm at a loss for words on this one.

Echidna
05-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Just watched them all and well...wow.
Beautiful and mystifying.
My interpretation is the merfolk start out friendly, then witness centuries of human destructiveness,
thus become less and less willing to help- up to the point that the ancient ritual fails.

With all the waste modern times dump into water, combined with industrial overfishing, even the most placid creature would turn hostile.
I like they don't have tails btw. Most old legends telling of merfolk do picture them as "normal" people, just living underwater.

Nyx
05-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Ah I loved these films!
They are so inspirational and fantastic > w<