PDA

View Full Version : Local Wildlife

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey everyone!

I was looking at Malinghi's awesome Pod Coats of Arms, and wondering what animals would be featured on ours. That got me thinking about the local wildlife. I've encountered starfish, jellyfish, dolphins, various bass and trout and sunfish (rainbow trout look especially cool), crabs, sharks, lobsters, shrimp, and seagulls. I was wondering what animals everyone else has seen in our waters. I googled that information, and apparently seahorses, sea turtles, and rays are native to the area too, but I've never seen one. The site I found listed plenty of other species.

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/bfg_fish.aspx?menuitem=14340

I think the cownose ray, the Lined Seahorse, the sandbar shark, the searobin, and the yellow perch look pretty cool. What are your experiences with animals in our region?

ShyMer
12-14-2011, 11:49 AM
I find it interesting to see that we have rays in our region, never would have guessed. I rather like pipe fish- they'd at least provide some variation of shape. Seahorses would give some nice variety also. I guess when most people think about this region they think about the blue crabs, so it would make sense to have at least one in it, but I'd like to be different and not have it as the main part of the design.

Maybe I'll play around with a few sketches later to see if I can find something we'd like.

ShyMer
01-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Hey, other people in Chesapeake! What should our mascot be for our pod? I don't want just two people to pick- I don't think that'd be really fair or promote much of a sense of community. I wanna get to work on this coat of arms stuff :)

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Both Pa and New Jersey have horses in their flags, and Delaware has a sailing ship. Delaware's colors seem to be mostly "colonial blue" and an orangey-peach-tan color, New Jersey is yellow and pale blue, Maryland is black, yellow, red and white, and Pennsylvania is dark blue. I forget, are Virginia and Ohio part of the Chesapeake pod, because their flags are greco-roman, white and blue and purple and... poinsettias?...and all patriotically red, white, and blue with stars. Oh, and West Virginia is mostly white and green and yellow and blue and red... with mining picks and hats. Not sure how to fit those in.

malinghi
01-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Hey, other people in Chesapeake! What should our mascot be for our pod? I don't want just two people to pick- I don't think that'd be really fair or promote much of a sense of community. I wanna get to work on this coat of arms stuff.

To help recruit more people, I just made a facebook page for Chesapeake Pod. You guys can use it to start reaching out to people even though the pod doesn't have a coat of arms or mascot or anything yet.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/348176108528192/

ShyMer
01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Out of curiosity, Malinghi, will you be doing stuff for the Chesapeake Facebook or is someone going to take over it? Not that I want it, just curious if you had any plans with it. It might be nice to change stuff on it in the future. Should we just message you when we want to change something?

malinghi
01-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Out of curiosity, Malinghi, will you be doing stuff for the Chesapeake Facebook or is someone going to take over it? Not that I want it, just curious if you had any plans with it. It might be nice to change stuff on it in the future. Should we just message you when we want to change something?

Ha, funny story actually. As soon as I read this I realized that its stupid that the way I've set these pages up, you guys can't post pictures or anything. I reevaluated the whole thing, and as it turns out, these should be Facebook Groups, not Facebook Community Pages. I've remade them all as groups.

About how much control I have, right now I'm the administrator, so I'm the only one that can set the profile pic and the description, but otherwise everyone can post to the wall and add images. Hopefully as the pods grow and evolve I can take an even more hands off approach. Sorry that I'm bit of a control freak about these right now.

Oh, also, here's the link for the group:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/348176108528192/

ShyMer
01-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Sounds like a plan for now:)