PDA

View Full Version : North Queensland/ Townsville area Mermaid Meet up :D

Mermaid_Sarina
05-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi everyone, myself and Mermaid Leina are hoping to have a meet up at River-way in Townsville on the 6th of June. :D We were thinking of meeting at 1:00 for lunch at the restaurant at River-way and then swimming in the bottom lagoon pool for a couple of hours. Tails or otherwise any Mermaid is welcome, so feel free to just come and swim like a human or bring your tail. If you're from out of town and planning on staying over night we would love to have you but we won't be able to accommodate you.

Please feel free to ask us questions or suggest dates that would better suit you as we would like to have as many mermaids as possible attending.

Thanks heaps

Mermaid Sarina and Mermaid Leina. <3 :mermaid kiss:

Theobromine
05-14-2015, 07:52 PM
Damn, I wish I still lived in Townsville! I went to JCU and I used to swim at Riverway all the time! That was before I had my tail but I used my monofin there a lot. I didn't know any other mermaids at the time. Good to know for when I do come back for a visit!

Mermaid_Sarina
05-15-2015, 12:29 AM
Aw! I wish you could come, thats so awesome though! I go to JCU as well and Mermaid Leina and I have been swimming in both our mono fins and fabric tails :D There are a couple of Mermaids now so you'll have to come back and visit! Fellow Mermaids are always welcome :D <3

Theobromine
05-15-2015, 12:44 AM
Well, I will let everyone know when I manage to come back to visit! I live in Seattle now so it's an expensive trip, unfortunately :( But I bet Mermaid Cora from Reef HQ would be interested in joining you guys! Also my friend Nixe the Tropical Mermaid is around, though I think she's up in Ingham now (we met volunteering at Reef HQ together but strangely didn't know each other were mermaids until after I left).

Mer-Crazy
05-15-2015, 01:01 AM
Well, I will let everyone know when I manage to come back to visit! I live in Seattle now so it's an expensive trip, unfortunately :( But I bet Mermaid Cora from Reef HQ would be interested in joining you guys! Also my friend Nixe the Tropical Mermaid is around, though I think she's up in Ingham now (we met volunteering at Reef HQ together but strangely didn't know each other were mermaids until after I left).
Mermaid Cora is in a bit of a difficult position when it comes to tail swimming. I spoke to her about it last year and the aquarium actually owns the tail, so she's not really allowed to take it out of the aquarium. But I'm sure she'd be happy to come meet up all the same :)

Theobromine
05-15-2015, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I've talked to her about it to, and I believe she does have her own monofin, so she could still swim! Up to her of course, though.

Mermaid_Sarina
05-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks for letting us know girls :) And Theobromine I wish you could come back! If you ever do let us know, I'd love to meet you. Did you study as an exchange student at JCU or are you from Australia but just living in America. Its really cool you're from Seattle. We want to go to America so bad!

Theobromine
05-17-2015, 12:21 AM
Oh yeah, haha, from Seattle, did my Master's in zoology at JCU, and when I left I came home with a husband and two cats :) I'll definitely be back someday, hopefully within the next year or so, it's just so bloody expensive to fly back and forth! But once my husband has obtained his US citizenship we may move back to Qld someday so I can get Australian citizenship! That would rock!

Oh, and if you guys ever want to come up this way to visit, shoot me a message! :D

Mermaid_Sarina
05-17-2015, 01:28 AM
Thats so awesome! JCU's the best for things like Zoology :D And thats really cool that you found a husband and cats to take back with you! You might have to teach me your ways ;) Or I'll just use a siren song! That would be so awesome for you to come back but it is super expensive! Good luck with all the citizenship stuff! And if we ever get to America we'll message you :D <3

Luna Dreamtide
05-29-2015, 06:43 PM
I hope you can make it then Cora! �� do you know any other mers in the area that may be able to make it?

Mermaid_Sarina
06-03-2015, 06:27 AM
Hi everyone. Unfortunately due to my work we've had to change the time. So anyone still interested if you could please meet us about 2:00 at Riverway down by the lagoon if that would still suit we would really appreciate it :) Thanks

Merman Jamie
06-06-2015, 03:04 AM
Hope there were some photos.

Mermaid_Sarina
08-17-2015, 08:18 PM
We didn't actually end up taking any photos as it was only myself, Mermaid Cora and Mermaid Leina. Next time we'll try and remember to do that. Wish you could have made it :)

Merman Jamie
08-22-2015, 06:51 AM
Hopefully I will be able to make it to one in the future.

Kait
01-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Hi guys! I wanted to introduce myself, I'm Kait :). I started my mer journey in August last year. Currently only have 2 fabric tails but my silicone tail is being made by Merbellas at the moment (YAY!) and is due to arrive mid year. Very, very excited :dance:

I’d love to meet you guys if you want to organise another meet up soon?

Mermaid_Sarina
01-17-2016, 07:23 PM
Hi Kait!! I'd love to meet up sometime :D I usually have a pretty loose schedule being at Uni so feel free to message me with a time that suits you :D

Kait
01-17-2016, 08:56 PM
Awesome! I work at JCU so that should be a very easy catch up :D What are you studying?

Mermaid_Sarina
01-17-2016, 11:29 PM
Cool! I'm studying a Bachelor of Speech Pathology :D Also your plan for coffee and a swim sounds great!! I just didn't want to keep hijacking your intro thread :P

Kait
01-17-2016, 11:46 PM
Oh cool, I work in Medicine and Dentistry (doing finance and contracts) so I'm right next door!

What are you up to first weekend of Feb? I think its the 6th & 7th.

Leina said you guys did some mermaid workshopping recently, so I'm keen to pick your brain :D

Mermaid_Sarina
01-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Awesome!!! You get to work in the fancy part of the Uni!!!! That weekend sounds good, I usually work Saturday mornings so maybe the Saturday afternoon? And yes feel free!!! Though I'm definitely not as crafty as Leina :)

Theobromine
01-18-2016, 12:53 AM
Maaaannnn, figures all the other mermaids in Townsville would appear only AFTER I move away :P I lived there for three years when I went to JCU and never met another mer in all my time there *sob* I used to swim at Riverway all the time with my monofin but no one else I knew had ever even seen one before. Foo!

Mermaid_Sarina
01-18-2016, 01:44 AM
Awe :( You can always come back for a visit! I'll be at JCU for another 4 years yet and I'd love to meet you in person! When did you study at JCU? If you don't mind my asking :)

Theobromine
01-18-2016, 02:40 AM
Ummm...I think it was 2009-2011. Jeez that's already forever ago. I moved back here in 2012 and haven't been back since and I very much miss it. I'd love to go back and do a PhD but the thought of moving my cats overseas again is too stressful. Also my husband hates Townsville -_-

Mermaid_Sarina
01-18-2016, 05:21 AM
Wow that's crazy! Leina and I only met that year and were in year 7. I do have the agree with your husband [emoji14] Its not the best, but we do have a pretty good reef

Sent from my HTC Desire 310 using Tapatalk

Theobromine
01-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Well, he grew up there so he was ready to GTFO. I loved it cuz it was all exotic and new to me :P and it was pretty. But mostly because reef.

Kait
01-18-2016, 04:51 PM
It's so common that if you grew up in a country town you can't wait to leave it. Whereas I really like Townsville, I've been here for 3 years now. Warm weather and reef, what's not to love! My partner was pretty upset that there isn't surf, but I've got him diving now instead hehe.

Maybe you'll come via Townsville on a holiday sometime! Where's home now?

Mer-Crazy
01-18-2016, 04:57 PM
It's so common that if you grew up in a country town you can't wait to leave it. Whereas I really like Townsville, I've been here for 3 years now. Warm weather and reef, what's not to love! My partner was pretty upset that there isn't surf, but I've got him diving now instead hehe.

Maybe you'll come via Townsville on a holiday sometime! Where's home now?
I visited townsville once, it seemed really nice, though I didn't get to see much I was only there for a little bit. I think it would be a place I could happily live in if I ever needed to move. If nothing else I'd simply spend all my free time at the aquarium haha.

Kait
01-18-2016, 05:15 PM
I visited townsville once, it seemed really nice, though I didn't get to see much I was only there for a little bit. I think it would be a place I could happily live in if I ever needed to move. If nothing else I'd simply spend all my free time at the aquarium haha.

I'm hearing you! I'm a gold member at the aquarium, I love visiting the turtle hospital to check in on their progress, or just go to chill out in the serenity (when it's not school holidays :lol:)

Mermaid_Sarina
01-18-2016, 09:05 PM
Well, he grew up there so he was ready to GTFO. I loved it cuz it was all exotic and new to me :P and it was pretty. But mostly because reef.

Yeah, I totally get the feeling. I can't imagine staying in one place for that long!