PDA

View Full Version : Can't keep monofin straps on! HELP

Mermaid_Athena
05-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Ugh...I've been using a fabric tail for a while with a Aquarius Monofin in it. I had to make my own snap strap for it (using a buckle and belt material) in order to jerry rig it so the strap would stay on.

I now have a nearly $700 silicone tail with a Finis Wave monofin it it...and same...damn...problem. I can't get the straps to stay on! And that's when I do manage to get them to pop up over my ankles. Ugh. Today I used some small carabiners to attach into the small holes in the middle tab of the straps, with ribbon attached so I could basically yank the strap up over my ankle. It works! BUT my ankles slipped out after only about three laps of an Olympic pool :( I'm so frustrated! I've had my tail for only two weeks, and while I can get in it in about 15min now with plenty of silicone safe lube on my legs (not my feet or ankles, the lube is not the problem here as far as I can tell) this situation is making me want to just sell the tail to recoup my money and say screw it.

I...I just want to be able to swim for an hour! I mean come on, is that to much to ask!? ;_;

I have the straps as tight as I can tell they will go as well. I've tried socks, and while it helps a little bit, the straps still come off. I'm heartbroken.

Triton-Mahtlinnie
05-18-2015, 05:54 PM
I have an Aquarius, and to keep it on my heels I put a strap of elastic on the ankle strap. Haven't had a problem with it slipping off since.

29809 I stick my feet between the elastic and the ankle strap, so the elastic goes over my feet.

I'm not sure if it would work in a silicone tail, though, if it's almost impossible to reach down as far as the ankle straps anyway.

Ashe
05-18-2015, 06:21 PM
With my old Wave, this happened every once in a while. Here's what I did, assuming you can actually reach/see the straps at all. Maybe try rolling the tail down a bit. Do you see the little part on the strap where the rubber curves upward and then back down? The small things with holes in them: 29810
They seem to push the straps down the heel a little bit. What you can (hopefully) do is unhook the straps in the three different places and rehook them so the bumps face downward. This will allow you to pull the straps up a bit higher and will also not irritate the backs of your heels as well :)
I know, its rough when you have a wonderful tail but it has a fatal flaw. Hopefully we can help :)

Sephina
05-18-2015, 07:27 PM
Mine do it on occasion and I find it's due to me kicking too hard, or swimming incorrectly.

AniaR
05-18-2015, 08:19 PM
neoprene socks can make a great difference!

Cordelia
05-18-2015, 08:59 PM
@ kalani I'm going to try this out! The straps usually stay up when my monofin is inside my tail, but they never stay on if I want to use just the monofin. Thanks for the advice!

Mermaid_Athena
05-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Thank you everyone for the fast replies. Checking around on other sites as well it seems the neoprene socks are the way to go. I am also going to figure out how to flip the strap over on the monofin as well. Might actually be able to pull it up better that way as well!

Mermaid Jaffa
05-18-2015, 11:25 PM
have you thought of using spring fin straps? I have read that they hug the ankles more and allow for flexible movement as well. Or even gluing some velcro to the inside of the straps and the other side of the velcro to your fave pair of swim socks.

Ashe
05-18-2015, 11:28 PM
@ kalani I'm going to try this out! The straps usually stay up when my monofin is inside my tail, but they never stay on if I want to use just the monofin. Thanks for the advice!
Ah, you're welcome! I think they're to help pull up the straps of the fin, but they only create more trouble :p

Mermaid April
06-06-2015, 11:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTkmMNLOl9w

Here is how I fixed mine permanently! This will work if you have a silicone or fabric tail, or just swimming in your monofin by itself. Adjust the straps to where you want them to fit (snug) and then follow instructions in this vid I posted on my YouTube channel.

Mermaid Clara
06-06-2015, 11:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTkmMNLOl9w

Here is how I fixed mine permanently! This will work if you have a silicone or fabric tail, or just swimming in your monofin by itself. Adjust the straps to where you want them to fit (snug) and then follow instructions in this vid I posted on my YouTube channel.
That is an amazing idea! i'll have to try it for my monofin straps :)

Mermaid Olivia!
06-06-2015, 11:50 PM
I had this problem when I first got my tail... I tried neoprene socks and the strap would still slip off! Finally, I ended up getting these dive boots http://www.oceanenterprises.com/scuba-gear/deep-see-3-5mm-aqua-purge-boot.html and I haven't had a problem since! The little rubber grips on the back hold up my straps really well, so well that getting my feet out after a swim is a little tricky. That's something I'm willing to deal with as long as my straps stay on. Good luck finding a solution that works for you so you can start enjoying that new tail! :)