PDA

View Full Version : Article on Professional Mermaid in France

AptaMer
05-22-2015, 10:26 AM
An article appeared in Vice Media, France, about Claire la Sirčne, who the article says is France`s first professional mermaid. Apologies that the article is in French, but for those who can read it, I think you'll enjoy. The photographs are beautiful anyway.

It was cool that when she was in university she did her thesis on "Myths, symbols and archetypes in Disney productions" as well as an article on modern representations of mermaids. Great way to combine your passion for mermaids with your studies.

The Vice article claims that mermaiding originated in the United States. I suppose that's true- is it? Maybe Raina could weigh in on that one, since she's studied the history?

http://www.vice.com/fr/read/la-premiere-sirene-professionnelle-francaise-832

I also thought it was cool that, according to the video, she has 2 tails made from latex rather than silicone which look fantastic, IMO. I'm starting to think that latex is a superior material to silicone, and am planning my costume around fishscale latex.

Note added: You could try Google Translate if you're not a French reader. I ran a couple of paragraphs through the site, and it made a pretty big mess of the article, with several mistakes in meaning, but you'd be able to figure out kind of mostly what the article is saying.

PearlieMae
05-22-2015, 11:01 AM
I'm going to read the article, but latex is not superior to silicone for tails.

-Annwyn-
05-22-2015, 11:24 AM
"The Vice article claims that mermaiding originated in the United States. I suppose that's true- is it?"

Annette Kellerman was Australian.

Yulia
05-22-2015, 11:57 AM
I'm going to read the article, but latex is not superior to silicone for tails.

She has switched over from latex now though.

AniaR
05-22-2015, 12:47 PM
She was Australian but I think she didn't do mermaid stuff til she hit the USA. At least from what I researched but I could be wrong.

AniaR
05-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Isn't she a friend of Arions?

Echidna
05-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Define "superior".
Looks-wise, painting-option wise, safety-wise, weight difference, buoyancy?

Less weight would definitely be a plus to me.

Mermaid Wesley
05-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Latex is less stretchy, has a different texture, I think it's about the same weight. It is typically not as shiny, harder, and if not very high grade, will fall apart in the water. It's cheaper. Oh and a lot of people are allergic to latex, which is why a lot of mermaids won't use it around kids. In addition you can spontaneously develop a latex allergy from exposure to it, which would be no fun. I /think/ silicone is more durable in the long run. Latex technically isn't water safe. It works fine, but isn't ideal got a lot of situations. I have seen beautiful latex tails though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Wesley
05-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Also I could have sworn that mermaid is on here.

Triton-Mahtlinnie
05-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Yeah, latex is more prone to UV degradation, so it isn't quite as long lasting. It's about the same weight and bouyancy as silicone, but it does feel more like "rubber" to the touch than silicone does.

Mermaid Wesley
05-22-2015, 02:44 PM
Hey look one of those beautiful latex tails! Lol

Merman Arion
05-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Isn't she a friend of Arions?

Yup. She lives in Paris, too. We see each other often :)

Also I could have sworn that mermaid is on here.

Indeed, she does have an account here.