PDA

View Full Version : H2O: Mermaid Adventures. The animated show

exdraghunt
05-28-2015, 03:51 AM
So the new H2O animated show was just released on Netflix (season 1 at least). I figured it deserved it's own thread for us to discuss the show without clogging up the Mako thread.

I'm about 7 episodes in right now, and. Well, it's certainly not the worst show I've watched. Clearly meant for a younger audience than the live-action show, and they seem to be going pretty heavy-handed on the environmentalist messages.

The animation is kind of stiff with shoddy backgrounds, it looks pretty cheap. The dialogue and plots are also pretty weak, but that admittedly wasn't exactly a strong point of the original show either.

I do really love the tail designs. Finally, I can tell apart the three girls! And maybe I'm just a sucker for glitter, but they're so shiny.

PhaylennMurúch
05-29-2015, 02:53 AM
I couldn't even make it through the first episode. It was so painfully made. Why not give the girls all new names? why did they spend their budget on sparkles? Now I'm all for glitter and sparkles but when the animation sparkles independently of the actual movement it bothers the crap out of me

Vicky Mermaid
05-29-2015, 04:16 AM
I like it. So does my 3 year old son. For the younger crowd i think its fine.

Ashe
05-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Defiantly for the younger ones, I cringed a couple of times while watching, but hey :P
But this is what bother's me about the H20 series - It makes no sense whatsoever. Theres really no way to connect Mako Mermaids to the original show, and then back to the cartoon. The girls have the same names, but look completely different and are now on a new storyline. In Mako Mermaids, the entire monopoly looked entirely different, and how would the girls not have run into the mermaid tribes earlier? They even had to use rings and spells to turn human. Even if for legal reasons they weren't able to have an exact copy of the set or weren't allowed to make references to the original girls, the would have fixed up these loose ends and make them the same 'kind' of mermaid, yeah?

Imogen Finnly
05-29-2015, 11:46 AM
^^^ this!
It is exactly what i said on the mako thread! Why didn't they meet the pod or run into them? I mean, unless the time frame is different, but that pod used the moon pool like constantly, even after they left, you would have run into the other three at some point!

formerly jayy

Seatan
05-29-2015, 02:07 PM
I just consider H2O and Mako completely different shows with similar aspects and I consider the animation a 7 years and under remake of H2O. They are milking the cash opportunities. I do wish the live action H2O had as many underwater scenes as the animated, LOL. I could only watch one ep. I don't like kids shows that don't have "second level" jokes for adults. I don't like My Little Pony either and I do like MLP's animation style, unlike H2O, which I found heavy handed. The actual show is about as "kiddie" as I can take a show. The animation is too little kiddie.

Imogen Finnly
05-29-2015, 07:14 PM
I only watched one episode as well.. i was like "okay..im done" even the episode synopsis was reeking of youth show lol
Im not too hot on the poor dubbing they did too.. the words and mouth movements never match.

formerly jayy

Ashe
05-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Not too sure if this thread is going to go anywhere :lol: I was hoping I would have enjoyed it :P

Imogen Finnly
05-29-2015, 07:27 PM
The thread or the show? Haha

formerly jayy

Winged Mermaid
05-29-2015, 07:48 PM
What everyone else said. I could only watch one episode- soooo baaad! Even for a kids show, IMO. It really annoyed me they kept the girls names then had them be nothing like the live action ones were. Not in looks or personality or anything. And the mouth movements don't even come close to matching up with the words! And the dialog is so lacking. I mean I watch all kinds of kids shows (yes, even My Little Pony!) and couldn't stand this one :P Guess they're trying to milk the H2O series but dang. Oh well!

Ashe
05-29-2015, 07:58 PM
Maybe this thread will still happen, but it will just be a 'let us point out everything wrong with this show' :lol:

Did anyone catch the badly dubbed anime vibe?

Imogen Finnly
05-29-2015, 07:59 PM
And if there are really 52 episodes or whatever like speculated-oh geez. Haha
If you avoid looking at them when they talk its not so bad haha
I won't watch it after watching the first episode haha paaaasss.

formerly jayy

MerEmma
05-29-2015, 08:25 PM
It's basically an H2O AU, just like how Mako Mermaids is an H2O AU. :P

exdraghunt
05-29-2015, 10:13 PM
I am admittedly still watching it (on ep 9 right now), but more of a "this is so bad it's kind of funny" sort of way.

Zane's dad is such an evil caricature I can't handle it. "Who cares if the volcano may just be dormant instead of extinct, I'm gonna build a giant resort on top of it anyway and make tons of money!"

I also cringe every single time Miriam is on screen. They couldn't have made a more "bitchy girl who makes the main characters miserable just because she can" character if they tried.

MerEmma
05-29-2015, 11:45 PM
Yeah, Miriam is the worst. I wish writers would more often give depth to the evil characters.

Also, I'm SO biased. I watched the whole thing without a second thought. I told my mom I had the second half of Mako Mermaids season 2 today and she asked if it was any good and I just couldn't answer because "MERMAIDS!!!!" clouds my taste so much, lol.

exdraghunt
05-29-2015, 11:52 PM
Very true. I will watch it just because mermaids.

I do really like the tail designs. I just noticed that each of them has a subtlety different fluke design. Though I wish the glitter would stop just long enough for me to make out the color patterns.

MerEmma
05-30-2015, 12:58 AM
I have some okay screencaps of the color patterns (at least Cleo's) I could share if you liked. I do like the differences between their designs though. :)

MermaidBrandie
06-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Just watched the first ep. My opinion on it is thus:

I actually like the animation, much better than I was expecting after yall likened the show to toddler show.

While it would bother me how different the girls look from the original girls (seriously just pick different names), when I took the advice of "think of it as an AU I was ok with it.

The plots are thin, but so was the original show

I wish the "bad guys" weren't fish, I wish they were human.

I really don't find the sparkle that distracting, though I do with they're flukes were larger

It kinda reminds me of the old Hans Christian Anderson anime Little Mermaid overall, just more updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherielle
06-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Why did they put the 'face' of the manta ray on the bottom? That bugs the crap out of me.

Kumori Kitsune
06-20-2015, 01:40 AM
I Have watched all the current episode and I like it alot.
yes it is market to a younger demographic but there is still has some adult humor.
I agree the character look noting like the original cast which makes me wish the animated series was it's own story line. This would help the show out alot I think plot wise they are playing on the gaps in the original series or filler eps. with the animated one to give them some difference.This helps so it's not just repeating the live action shows but there are a few details they left out.

I actually kinda like the animation style the promo picture style is very cool and i think that's what they where going for with a mixture of an anime and a cartoon style. Being an illustrator I watch alot of anime movies they interest me and I want to do animation one day. With these kinds of shows the characters tend to be more detailed with less focus on the back ground. I think if the animation incorporated more then pc graphic drawing they could budge better animation.

Still I like the show alot and enjoy that Riki's dad is in it. I just hate they changed her living situation there's noting wrong with living in a tailor some are even nicer then alot of peoples houses.

bluegill
08-13-2015, 01:05 AM
When do more episodes of the show come out. That would be season 3

Kumori Kitsune
08-13-2015, 01:56 AM
Not sure netflix is ify with releasing things the show isnt close story line wise idk if they have the other 2 mermaids

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bluegill
09-06-2015, 12:02 AM
I hope more episodes come in September. Think there are 56 episodes total.

Merman_Shawn
09-06-2015, 01:28 AM
Just attempted to watch it. I got 10 minutes in and said out loud "I'm done.". Look, I get it's a kids show and people have ideas about what a kids show should be, but I feel like this was a missed opportunity. Just because it's a kids show doesn't mean it has to be simplified. People seem to think that kids can't grasp what they take in and we wind up with sub-par entertainment. The animation looked like a freshman year art student's Flash animation homework. It seriously could have been done by a couple of guys in a basement on home PC's. I will say the character designs were interesting, but why the same names as the original girls? The dubbing was meh and didn't match the mouth movements. I wish they would have taken the budget from this and put it towards their live-action endeavors...

bluegill
11-24-2015, 01:59 AM
When does the next 26 episodes come to Netflix. I hope really soon.

Spindrift
11-24-2015, 02:25 AM
Any screenshots?

Ophelia Finn
11-24-2015, 04:26 AM
I really disliked the animated H2O at first and couldn't make it through the first episode. Then I found myself unemployed for a while with absolutely nothing to do and nothing to watch. I have to admit that it does suffer from Slow Show Syndrome and it takes a good number of episodes before it becomes bearable. I still wouldn't class it as a good show, but it definitely got more watchable as it progressed. There were a few nice storylines which wouldn't have been possible in the live action version, and the White Mermaid was beautiful (If I was blonde I think I would have taken inspiration from her).

MerEmma
11-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Any screenshots?

Do you mean of the show? I took a few because I wanted a better look at the tails. Not that high quality though, as usually when I skip back a couple seconds to take the screencap, Netflix reverts into lower quality.

They're attaching small, so I assume for others they will appear small. Click on them for larger view?

EDIT: NOPE! They came out big. Sorry about that.
http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=34241&stc=1http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=34242&stc=1http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=34243&stc=1http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=34244&stc=1http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=34245&stc=1http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=34246&stc=1http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=34247&stc=1http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=34248&stc=1

exdraghunt
11-24-2015, 11:30 PM
I find it highly amusing that Emma and Cleo get shell bras, while Rikki gets censor stars.

Mer-Crazy
11-25-2015, 06:04 AM
Oh wow... I hadn't actually looked into this show yet... it looks really amature

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Princess Kae-Leah
11-30-2015, 03:47 AM
While I admit the show is very low-quality, I still enjoy it because the girls can speak to sea creatures.