PDA

View Full Version : Raina's Trip Planning Thread

AniaR
12-18-2011, 01:01 PM
OKay, so it's official, mertender Sean and I will be coming to Tampa Bay Florida this March! Tentative dates being March 11th (late night arrival) to March 17th or 18th.

We're going to be staying with family, so bare in mind that while I am trying to plan events and want to see as many people as I can I am still working within my BF's family's schedule. They are letting us stay with them in their rented condo for free so we kinda owe em ;)

So all things I write here are TENTATIVE and while I want to accommodate as many people as possible please respect and remember Sean and I have a small window we have to work within.

As the dates draw closer we're going to be planning some meet ups. Once the actual week arrives we'll likely only then place the exact date and time and meet up area. We're hoping to have a car so if people are willing to go in on gas we can try and carpool to some of the meetup locations.

Merman Jesse has already booked the time off to meet us there!

Tentative Plans:

Rainbow Spring Meetup:
After talking to several mers it seems to me this will be the most central, warmest, and best spot to meet for a swim mer style. I know not everyone will agree and will have their own ideas and places, but for now this is the most likeliest spot Sean and I can get to. When the week comes we'll have a post running to see about the exact day and time for a meetup. I am thinking this will be sort of a whole afternoon thing.

Mass Mermaid Photoshoot:
This may also take place at the springs, or maybe at a beach. I am a professional photographer. Not a lot of my stuff is on my FB page because I am too busy in a tail, but I'd be happy to offer free photos of people and send you copies to use. I see so many of you without professional photos so I'd like to change that. I also have an underwater camera and will be happy to take footage and photos to send to people to use on their pages etc.

Disney:
Every time I've tried to go to Disney it's been a bad experience so I am hell bent on going and having a good time LOL. Sean and I are looking online for deals, but we'll be going one day and we'll let you all know when for anyone else who'd like to come!

Weeki Wachi
I have no idea about the geographics of Florida but I simply can't go and then not see Weeki. They've informed me their open so we may have a big car pool there , again details will be posted.

Aquarium
We'll also be visiting one of the closer aquariums for anyone who would like to attend, details will be posted.

Dinner
It be nice at some point to get anyone who wants to out for dinner at some restaurant. Again, tentative.

SireniaSolaris
12-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Aww, let me know when you'll be planning each thing, and I'll see what I can attend. I live quite a bit further South, so I won't be able to visit for everything, since hotels aren't too cheap anymore, but I'd love to meet up with you to chat and such. I want to meet all of the supportive, happy mers on here :) There's too many old, grouchy ones around me who tell people they are too fat to be mermaids. Yuck. I want to have the good mermaid company :)

Mermaid Sirena
12-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Alas this is not one of the years my family is traveling to florida. I wish you luck with meeting up with othersAlas this is not one of the years my family is traveling to Florida, and I live so far off from your travel plans there would be no sense in trying to meet up. I wish you luck with meeting up with others!

Mermaid Marla
12-19-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm sure we'll be able to do at least one of the meet-ups since we only live about 2 hours away! I'll keep watching and see what you guys come up with :-)

OrcaMatt
12-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Forgot the part about the stopover in New York!

Spindrift
12-19-2011, 08:22 PM
I was actually planning on visiting FL with some friends during my spring break... which is around the time you posted. I could probably do this meetup if that is the case. Also if you're going to do a stopover in NY I can probably join for that as well :P

AniaR
12-19-2011, 10:33 PM
@Sirena, love your new sign image and your logo!

@Marla I'd really love that so much, I have a feeling I'll be going by the seat of my pants but I'll try and make sure there's lots of info posted here and I'll post my cell so people can text to meet up too

Re: New York
We're hoping to actually have a direct flight, but if we did have a stop over it's likelier to be very quick one in Toronto.

@Spindrift I'd love to see you

@ EVERYONE I dont want people to feel limited by my schedule either, like I said we need to accommodate what our family wants and what they can do within their timeline too. So don't think twice about meeting up without me. I want people to visit as much as they can if they're in the area, you wont be hurting my feelings :p

Mermaid Luna
12-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Drat, if only I had the money and means to get down there, I'd meet you. Alas, Mermaid Cat does not have either. Some other time. <3

NerineArcticMermaid
12-27-2011, 02:36 PM
hmm maybe i can get mynew tail by then!
hehehee!
would love to meet you finally raina!

MermanJesse
12-27-2011, 08:38 PM
I can't wait.... I have been wanting to get back to Weeki Wachee soon.

I have not swam Rainbow yet, I think it will be fun.

Disney is definitely out for me. Although, I could easily be persuaded to go to Busch Gardens. ;)

AniaR
12-27-2011, 09:05 PM
okay, I think they may have changed around exactly where we're staying again. Where's Venice Florida? Either way I'd be making my way to all these places regardless of where we're stationed, but I always forget american traffic is a lot different than Canadian, especially where I'm from. We get to places really quickly, and I find from my few visits to the states trying to get some place close could still be a long drive cuz of traffic.

Anyway, Im not sure the family has completely nailed down exactly what part of Florida they're going to be in when we visit them, but I will try to post these things as soon as I know, and like I said we'll be visiting places all over anyway!

Mermaid Star
12-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I can't wait to see you! I will hopefully have my tail done by then and I can go to Rainbow River to swim. Everyone at Disney talks about that river. It is apparently very good. If you are near Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete or Orlando, I should be able to meet up with you and hang out. :) I can't wait! :D Even though we all live around each other, I have never been to a mermaid meet up before. I think it will be really neat!

BlueMermaid
12-28-2011, 08:59 PM
I'll try to come see ya! Keep us posted!

AniaR
01-14-2012, 07:46 PM
OKAY so, we confirmed today we're officially staying in St Petersberg, we will have a POOL, and we may be able to come a few days early :D

We're staying with family, so we do have a few things planned with them, but I am SO FREAKING EXCITED, just 2 months away!

Mermaid Star
01-14-2012, 08:46 PM
AHHHH!!! You will be in My town, and Linda's! I am so excited to see you!!! That is so great that you will be so close! I am working really hard on getting all of my molds done so that my tail will be ready by the time you come down. I just hope I will have enough money to get all of the items I need to finish it (like more latex). If I get paid soon for the gigs that I have been doing, I should have enough to get everything.

Ahhhh!!! I am so excited! Can't wait!

<3 Star

AniaR
01-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Yay star I am so stoaked to meet you and Linda, Raven, and everyone else! We'll have a pool where we are so maybe I can have a mermaid pool party aahhh

Mermaid Star
01-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Yay!!!! I can't wait! :D

MermanJesse
01-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Rainbow River is not far from Ocala where I will be staying. But I will travel to Weeki Wachee for a mer-gathering there if you all would like. I will travel pretty much anywhere in the state of Florida, really.

I requested it off, so here's hoping they give it to me.

Mermaid Star
01-15-2012, 01:19 AM
It would be great to meet you too Jesse! Rainbow River is about an hour from St. Pete... for is Weeki Wachee. Either one sounds great. I can't remember the temp at Rainbow (I heard it was warmer) but I know as a kid at Weeki Wachee, it would take me forever to get in. LOL But I guess it would be normal temp for Raina. LOL I am going to seem like such a wimp! :P

AniaR
01-15-2012, 09:49 AM
I am sure since I am leaving the coldest part of our year and showing up there, I will look insane wearing all the clothes I plan on wearing! lol It's going to be so nice to be in the SUN.

MermanJesse
01-15-2012, 02:43 PM
I am OFF that week. I was just informed today!

Can not wait!

Woooo Hoooo

MermanJesse
01-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Just looked at Weeki's website, Buc Bay swimming area is open. Slides are not. So we can do a gathering there!

AniaR
01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
*glomps you all* yes!

So, I gotta figure out what stuff the family wants to do, and we'll be moving at their pace and trying to include them when we can :) but I'll will get everyone's emails when we get closer, and send around a schedule. I'll also get all your cellphone numbers to keep in touch, and post stuff here too.

I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED dont make fun of how many times I say "eh" now ya here? "cuz it's a lot. The people we're staying with have a car, we'll have to see if we're going to rent one for the whole week or just certain days etc.

I'll also have my brand new camera and my underwater camera, I'll be taking a whole wack of photos and videos, I'd love to photoshoot every single mer I can, and I'll put everything on dropbox or something like that so everyone can download :)

Mermaid Star
01-15-2012, 09:33 PM
OMG, Raina! You are so awesome! I have yet to get any good pictures of me under water. Though Tor (Merpirate) did a great job helping me in the Springs, the water was very shallow, so there wasn't much we could do. I would be so excited and honored to be shot by you! Eeee! I can't wait! Must... work on tail!!!!! I was unable to work on my fluke buck today because I had to do school work and such. I hope I have enough energy tomorrow after work, to work on it a little. :) Eeee!!!! So excited! And I wont make fun of your "eh"s if you don't make fun of my "y'all"s LOL

SireniaSolaris
01-18-2012, 02:37 AM
That isn't too bad of a drive from me so I'd like to make plans to meet up, too! Keep me in the loop, please!

AniaR
01-18-2012, 07:13 AM
this is the thread to watch! :)

AniaR
01-18-2012, 03:49 PM
UPDATE

So, we just found out we can come two days earlier, woo woo! Aiming to fly out of here March 9th, but but the time we arrive it'll be sleepy time. So we'll basically have saturday til the following saturday

What I'd like to do:

Have a big mermaid meet up at one of the springs where we'll all swim and I'll also do photos

Go to the aquarium

Go to week wachi, invite all you mers to come, watch a mer show, go on the boat, and swim later

Disney- people are invited to come

Get people out for dinner and or a movie

A FEW IMPORTANT DETAILS

1) we're staying with family and they take priority, we're sorta working with their schedule too. They wont be doing everything with us but for things like weeki wachi and disney they will be. So please remember when you're bouncing ideas of us (my mertender and I) that we need to consider the fam who let us do all this staying with them for free!

2) I am thinking there will be an official meetup at the springs, and also one at weeki wachi. Everything else is sorta come as you are. That being said, I originally thought I should organize one of those on a weekend day to accommodate people with work schedules. But for Jesse and others who are driving up that's not going to work and they'd prefer a week day. So, if you want to participate and you work a weekday job, you may want to consider booking a day off.

3) I WILL POST A "SCHEDULE" CLOSER TO THE DATE. But I am not running a convention here ;) it's up to people to show up if they wanna do something. No texting me and saying you're going to be 45 minutes late and asking the whole group and my family to wait please. :) I say "schedule" because I am assuming the times wont be fleshed out exactly til a day or two before something.

4) And please keep in mind, like I said, we're staying with family and they have things they want to do with just us too :) you're all more than welcome to organize a get together WITHOUT ME if I am off doing my own things which I will do haha :p I may be initiating this and getting the ball rolling but it's up to you to help keep it rolling :)

The place we're staying will have a pool so I will hopefully be able to have you all over before we fly back home :) Im going to try and bring some canadian souvenirs too!

When all is said and done, I will upload all images and videos to dropbox. I am all ready giving you my permission to use them on your pages, your websites, your youtube whatever :)

Mermaid Star
01-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Sweet! I do work a weekday work week so I will have to figure it out closer to time if I need to take off. I definitely want to go to the springs! I guess i wil have to get on Linda (and probably make her a tail [fabric most likely]) before you get here. My offer still stands at my Work Raina, If you come on a weekday I can help you out and get you in, but I can only get 3 people in on my pass. Let me know closer to time if you need me! :) Can't wait!

Every time I see this thread updated I think to my self, MUST FINISH TAIL!!!! LOL

SireniaSolaris
01-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Yay, cool!! That works great because I make the bulk of my money on the weekends. The weekdays I create my own schedule, usually 2 weeks in advance. The only day of the week I work regularly is Tuesday.

AniaR
01-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Tentatively (barring any emergencies or bad weather) weeki wachi will be the first thing up on Monday the 12. Time yet to be set, but my group will likely be going early. After discussion I think it would be great to start this way, in a public place, with things to do for an ice breaker. You can bring your tail but you're responsible for storing it somewhere til people head into the pool. I know my group wants to see one of the mermaid performances as well as take the little river boat cruise. We'll probably eat lunch there, then swim in the pool.

I am also thinking or organizing a beach cleanup sometime during the week. Apparently where I will be staying is right on the water!

Gem Stone
01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
i would love to come with you guys but it seems that i won't make it up to that area until late April early May. if anyone who can't meet up that week who might be able to come the week im going, i would love to meet up! if anyone also has the time or money to stay that long, i doubt it but its possible, i would love to invite you to meet us at weeki watchee. we are staying about fifteen minutes away from it. i don't have the dates for sure but if anyone is intrested, i will keep you posted.

malinghi
01-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Alexandrea, do you know JV Hampton-VanSant on facebook? He mentioned to me today that he wanted to go to Florida in May to celebrate graduation, and was wondering if there were any gatherings going on. I told him that it would be a good time to plan one. I think it would be a good idea to plan a gathering in Tampa sometime in May.

Gem Stone
01-30-2012, 10:37 PM
tampa sounds good but im not sure i can go to tampa. i will also be spending time with family and my grandmother works at weeki watchee so its pretty hard to go to far away from there

MermanJesse
02-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Those of you meeting up with us make sure to check out my Facebook page @ Merman Jesse (https://www.facebook.com/#%21/pages/Merman-Jesse/186489051407746) for an announcement about my silicone Rays.

Mermaid Saphira
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I would love to meet up @ tampa but alast I still have school in march :(

Mermaid Lorelei
02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I wish I could come to this. Unfortunately I'm stuck in Oklahoma. :P

malinghi
02-05-2012, 11:36 PM
I would love to meet up @ tampa but alast I still have school in march :(

Aqua, Raina is going to Florida in March, but I was suggesting that we could also plan an event sometime in May for everyone who will be busy with school until then.

Mermaid Saphira
02-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Can't get out until june :(

LittleTreasure
02-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Wish I could do this, but I doubt I can. I know I don't post much at all here but I really do wish I could meet up with everyone. I hope it's great for you guys though! :)

AniaR
02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
So, Im trying to accommodate a lot of family schedule here. @_@ I am thinking now tentatively, aquarium Sunday, Weeki Monday, Met meet Tues? Agh. lol

mermanjr
02-07-2012, 08:15 AM
raina do you think you can make polooza in august i can give you both a room in the mansion if you need a place to stay in august this will be the biggest merfolk event ever and we have family fun schedualed thru out the time we are there

check out the link below for more details
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/events/284131868308482/

mer-polooza the next big mermaid event in orlando august 10 -13 check the link for more info

AniaR
02-07-2012, 10:13 AM
sorry mermanjr, thanks for the invite, but only one trip in my budget this summer! *hugs*

Mermaid Lorelei
02-12-2012, 08:35 PM
I wish I could come, but I really hope you all have a wonderful time!

MermanJesse
02-12-2012, 09:27 PM
You won't be hard to miss with a tail slung over your mertender's shoulder, Raina.......LOL

Gem Stone
02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Make sure you have fun for those of us who can't go as well!

SireniaSolaris
02-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Raina, I will definitely be going to Weeki Wachee. Sunday no can do, because of work, and after Weeki Wachee, I will be touring around FL for the remainder of the week. I planned on going to Rainbow River, Crystal River, possibly Alexander Springs, amongst other stops, so if you do decide you will be going elsewhere in the week for sure, let me know and I will try to make sure I am there on said day. Otherwise, I'm sure Weeki Wachee will be a blast :)

To any other FL mers who may not necessarily make it out to the Weeki Wachee meet-up: if you'd like me to stop in your neighborhood to say hello and meet that week, just let me know. :)

AniaR
02-16-2012, 04:24 PM
I HATE TO CHANGE THINGS AROUND AGAIN BUT...
AIR CANADA IS GOING ON STRIKE!!!!

we were hoping to arrive on Friday, but now it looks like we wont arrive til saturday or sunday. I'll keep weeki and and the photoshoot planned for Monday and tuesday, but if we dont arrive til sunday we'll have to reschedule the aquarium :(

ugh this is driving me nuts. LOL

I'll try and still give everyone LOTS of notice, especially about the photoshoot meetup. I do still want to go to the springs, we're just going to have to see about the rental car etc if it really is that far from us. We're staying right on the beach, so I also in addition may just invite people to come there too for a photoshoot. <3

Mermaid Star
02-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Awesome Raina! Again, I can't wait! I am busting my hump to finished this tail in time. If you need anything while you are in town, let me know. I live in St. Pete (not St. Pete beach but I am only 10 mins from there). Rainbow River is a little distance away but it does have a lot of space and depth. Apparently one of the best springs here to go mermaiding. I will have to take some time off of work if I can to meet up with you. I am in rehearsals that week I think, but am unsure of the days and times. I will let you know! See you in less than 3 weeks!

AniaR
02-22-2012, 10:32 PM
I promise I will try and let you all know asap I know we're cutting it down to the wire we just dont know now if we're flying saturday night or sunday because we had to change air lines :( I wanted to fly on Friday!

Mermaid Star
02-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Awe Boo! I am sorry that the strike had to happen on your travel date. :( But at least you will be able to come! :) No worries, I wont have my schedule for that week until this Sunday. I see "plenty of notice" as a few days before hand. A week notice is amazing and very do-able! :D

Mermaid Star
02-22-2012, 11:01 PM
BTW, Thank you for letting us take part in your vacation! That is very nice of you to allow us to take part in your plans with your family. It is very sweet of you.

Moonflower
02-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Ooh yay! I'll be there for Weeki Wachee! And whatever spring you choose to go to, I'm sure I'll join in as well!

Gem Stone
02-23-2012, 11:21 AM
me and family are going to florida in may. if anyone has time id like to meet up

Moonflower
02-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Ooh, I'd love to join you at Disney! If you need a guide, I know that place like the back of my hand ^_^

mermanjr
02-26-2012, 11:38 PM
i want pics raina this should be an awsome adventure for you and you partner i hope you have fun swimming wit jesse its just to bad i couldnt join you guys for a merswim because i have to work but ill be in tampabay in may

but have fun and have safe travels

NerineArcticMermaid
02-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Im so sorry! I hope he doesnt spoil your vacation! When someone cant win they try and bring you down to thier level.

I wish I could be down there for a meet up too but Im waaay up in Maryland right now.. :)

Have as much fun as you can!

Mermaid Star
02-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Oh! Well you will be just fine! No worries girl! Can't wait to see you... AHHHH!!!! Must make tail!!!! LOL :D

Mermaid Star
02-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Ok girl. No worries. :) Again, I love your level head. :) You are awesome. Your Vaca will be relaxing and enjoyable. I can not wait! Hurry up and Dry LATEX!!!! LOL :P

Winged Mermaid
03-01-2012, 05:12 AM
UPDATE: Due to off topic content, a number of posts have been moved from this thread to the drama thread. Go HERE (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?1513) to view those posts. If you have any more to say on the subject and content of said moved posts, reply in the new thread. On topic- from the initial post- comments may be posted to this thread.

NOTE: Raina has announced that this will no longer be an open event. PM her for more information on scheduling and such.

michellerobison
03-01-2012, 02:15 PM
I wish I could go but I'm setting up at Winter Park Art Festival that week end....

I've just started to work on some mermaid jewellery again,after a couple weeks not doing anything..I dear friend of mine committed suicide almost three weeks ago and I've really had a hard time with her passing.

Still trying to get my hubby to let me get a tail..usually he's pretty cool about stuff like this but he wants to retire early and his job has been unstable, pay cuts over the last 8 years...we're starting to recover over the last two years. He's pretty scared to make an luxury purchases now....

AniaR
03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Michelle, I've got different things going on every day, some are at public places, some are in private :) if you have a free day, just PM me and I'll let you know if people are meeting where and when and you're more than welcome to join us.

Just found out Jesse will have his boat which is very exciting :) opens up so many more possibilities. We are staying with family, but we're also going to do the touristy things haha non mermaid, you know, touring around :)

Mermaid Mako
03-03-2012, 03:57 PM
I think you'll love St. Pete! I've lived here since I was two. ^_^ I'd love to go to Weeki Wacheee, last time I was there I only got to catch one show, and didn't get any pictures. Saw lots of baby peacocks running around though! So adorable!

AniaR
03-03-2012, 04:28 PM
you\re more than welcome to come, I'll PM you the date once it's been decided on! We're trying to juggle around our family's schedule. We'll be visiting with family, but then we have more family meeting us so we're trying to work around all of them too :)