View Full Version : Hello from a Western Australian mer...thing :)

Sahyris
12-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Hi there!

I was recently introduced to this community by a friend (OrcaMatt), who I bumped into via the furry fandom (in which I am quite involved). I was amazed to see that there is a large, well-organised group of merfolk out there!

I've been fascinated with mermaids and merfolk for as long as I can remember, and dreams of becoming a merman have never been far from the back of my mind. Growing up in Western Australia, the ocean and water have always played a big part in my life; although i'm ashamed to admit that I was actually frightened of the water as a child and didn't become a confident swimmer until late in my teens.

My involvement in the furry community has exposed me to subjects such as transformation, photomanipulation, otherkin and even prosthetic makeup; all of which have helped me explore that aquatic side of myself. My 'mer-self' is Sahyris, not quite a merman and not quite a fish... somewhere in between. He's both a furry character (or 'fursona') as well as a means for exploring my interest in merfolk.

I've toyed with fabric tails before, and I've been aware of commercially-available mer-tails for a few years now - but it's only this year that I decided to bite the bullet and get my first, proper mer-tail. (Currently in production, ordered from Mertailor.) I'm really excited about learning to swim with it, and look forward to getting some great photographs/videos with it when the time comes. In the meantime, i'm interested in hearing about other people's experiences and any advice they might be able to offer about taking the plunge, as it were :)

I'm sure this is only the beginning of my adventure into the world of merfolk, and I look forward to all it has to offer in the future!

Artisankatie
12-22-2011, 01:57 AM
Welcome to MerNetwork! If you ever make it to Victoria, come swimming with Lilypad Lagoon :D

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-22-2011, 02:12 AM
Welcome to the mernetwork... I'm also a newcomer.

Mermaid Luna
12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Welcome, Sahyris! It's wonderful to have you here! :)

malinghi
12-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Welcome to the board!

MermaidMisty
12-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Welcome and well met!

MermaidSaku
12-24-2011, 01:10 PM
: D welcome to the forum

merboy78xy
12-24-2011, 01:25 PM
It's amazing how every day, more and more mefolk are coming out of the (drift)woodwork! Hey there Sahyris!
Welcome! I am still a newbie myself... been a merman at heart forever, but finally allowed myself to spread my fins ;)

Mermaid Miel
12-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Yay! more Aussie Mermaids! Welcome! If you ever come across to swim in SA, let me know. I'm always looking for someone to swim with. :D

Mermaid Hamant
12-26-2011, 02:11 AM
Welcome! I hope you enjoy being a part of this community. :)

Mermaid Sirena
12-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Welcome welcome! What color(s) shall your tail be?

Sahyris
12-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Welcome welcome! What color(s) shall your tail be?

Thanks :) Going for a metallic turquoise base with some flecks of green and blue to break up the monotony a bit. Roughly matches my fishy character :)

SherryB
07-13-2012, 02:13 AM
"My participation in the fuzzy group has revealed me to topics such as modification, photomanipulation, otherkin and even prosthetic makeup"
What does it meant to be?
I mean I couldn't understand about it any.

spottedcatfish
07-13-2012, 02:43 AM
Welcome to Mernetwork.

Nyx
07-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Welcome!

AniaR
07-13-2012, 08:55 PM
fair to point out this user hasnt posted in this thread since Christmas :p