PDA

View Full Version : The Griffin.....Found?

Capt Nemo
12-23-2011, 07:51 PM
It looks like the Griffin may be found! And she's sitting in northern Green Bay! They're setting up to do an excavation, and possibly raising her. Water depths in the area max out at around 120 feet, so she's in the range for conventional scuba and easy range for trimix.

http://record-eagle.com/statenews/x1510849274/Researchers-recommend-excavating-shipwreck-site

AniaR
12-23-2011, 11:27 PM
wow really neat!

malinghi
12-24-2011, 02:12 AM
That is so cool. I wonder what kind of condition its in. How has the ship not been rotted away after all these years?

Spindrift
12-24-2011, 03:22 AM
I looked up the Griffin - pretty cool! I wonder how the furs would look after being underwater for so long. It'd be pretty amazing if they were somehow preserved.

OrcaMatt
12-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Sure, but is the price of bowler hats going to go down? No.

Capt Nemo
12-24-2011, 03:01 PM
The cold freshwater should keep her wood pretty much intact. The furs would have probably rotted. She sounds like she's buried in silt. The big thing is how she hit the bottom, and what sank her. If a storm sank her, she could be a board pile. If she stove a plank on a shoal, she may be pretty much intact with just her masts missing or broken off.

From the charts I have of the area, a ship has two choices sailing north. If she went east of Chamber's Island, she could have hit Hanover Shoal, or the shoals of the Strawberry Islands. To the west, she could have hit Whaleback Shoal, or Driscol Shoal. From her stated position of being close to Wisconsin, she chose the St. Martens Passage between St. Martens Island and Washington Island instead of "Death's Door". There are shoals south of St. Martens Island. The passage is from 70 to 120 feet deep, but before the passage, between 60-80 feet deep. If she hit the passage shoal, she could be in 40-50 ft.

Mermaid Crystal
08-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Cool!

Mermaid Saphira
08-19-2012, 04:22 PM
cool :)

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
08-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Hah, for a second, I thought you meant that someone found a mythical griffin, after reading the title (though there is some evidence that ancient peoples discovered fossils of protoceratops and assumed it was a half-lion, half eagle creature, given it's long tail, size, four legs, and beak... and of course, there's a dog breed or several called griffons). But it's really cool when they discover famous sunken ships... I'm crossing my fingers that this is it :)