PDA

View Full Version : Questions from first time silicone user :)

Kaia
07-05-2015, 09:19 PM
hello! thanks for looking at my thread! anyways, im going to be making a hybrid tail soon. and i was wondering what the best dragon skin silicone is best for just a fluke? im tall so my fluke always ends up hitting the bottom of the pool. so i want a silicone that can handle a beating. its my first time working with it so i want to know what im getting myself into. also, is it cheaper just to send my fluke to another that knows what they are doing then to do it myself? is there specific silicone tints one needs? or would paint work to mix with the silicone to color it?

Alcyonsa
08-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Its cheaper to do the Fluke by yourself. Especially so it fits your scale sheet. For Paint you need to get special Silicone Poweder Pigments you mix in after Part A and B is mixed in. Maybe go for Smoothons Dragon Skin Silicone 20. But keep in mind that would be a gallon for the Fluke and some Silicone you shouldnt be using for the scale sheet (since it could be too hard to stretch).
Greetings!

PearlieMae
08-25-2015, 01:56 PM
There are lots of different kinds of powdered pigments you can use, if you look around the site, there are lots of resources that spell it out.

Dragonskin 20 is not too hard to use over the body of the tail. Dragonskin 10 is softer and the preferred silicone, but the 20 is only nominally stiffer.