PDA

View Full Version : Question Especially For Those Who Went To WMAs

Princess Kae-Leah
12-27-2011, 08:54 PM
I know I'm repeating myself here for those of you who follow my FB mer page, but for those who don't I have a question. I know people wonder why it seems I make such a big deal about being unable to swim and how it makes me feel like I don't fit in sometimes in the mer-community, but I think the real reason for that is I keep having this awful picture in my head about being at a future WMAs(or indeed for that matter, even a smaller mer-gathering) along with the likes of Hannah Fraser and MeduSirena and feeling really left out and out of place if there's a pool party event. So my question is, hypothethically speaking, if you think other mers would do their best to accomodate my lack of swimming ability(people ask me why I don't just take a class and learn if I want to so much, but I believe I know my body better than anyone else and that, if not impossible, will be very difficult) or if I'm correct in assuming that I'd feel really left out.

Spindrift
12-27-2011, 09:28 PM
I went to the WMA's and I didn't swim with the other mers. I still enjoyed being in the general atmosphere and didn't feel left out. However, the WMA's was also not exactly well planned - I felt that it was essentially a gawking gallery with not much entertainment provided. Hopefully another convention would utilize universal design practices and the events would have more variety.

Spindrift
12-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Good to see you back by the way :)

thelocalmermaid
12-27-2011, 10:45 PM
same here, I went to the WMA's and did not bring my tail along with me. I usually would swim.. but not being able/wanting to swim should not stop you from going if you plan to in the future! the people out of the water outnumbered the people that were in the water..
plus, the pool party portion of the WMA's was relatively short in comparison to all the meet-and-greets and general mer-gatherings! the wonderful people you meet there will outweigh your decision to stay out of the water! :)

Princess Kae-Leah
12-27-2011, 10:52 PM
If I went, I think I would definitely want to wear my tail there sometimes though, since I'm proud of my tail and want to show it off and pose with other mers in it. Would it be possible to pose in my tail there without swimming?

Spindrift
12-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Yeah when you walked into the room you were greeted by a lot of people in their tails, lying on table tops or lounge chairs.

thelocalmermaid
12-28-2011, 01:29 AM
agreed with the above! you can definitely lounge around in a tail.. there, it is completely acceptable! :)

malinghi
12-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Not that the WMA's weren't accommodating to people who didn't swim, but I think future conventions will be even better for dry mers.

Also, the WMA's were different from most conventions in that it was so small that there was only one event going on at at a time, so everyone was expacted to participate in the same thing, whether it was sitting in a room watching a pageant, or swimming. At larger fandom conventions there's tons of stuff going on, and you can choose what to go to and what to skip. I predict that future conventions will always have at least one swimming activity and one dry activity at all times, so everyone would always have an option, even if some people never want to swim, and some only want to swim.

merboy78xy
12-28-2011, 02:39 PM
I think that sounds like an excellent idea. I wish I had the time to commit to help in some way for future WMAs... I think it's such a good thing that it exists, and I'd hate to see it die out simply from lack of effort. Is there already talk of next years?

Spindrift
12-28-2011, 08:09 PM
There is a thread that Mermaid Lanai started.

Mermaid Marla
12-29-2011, 10:22 AM
I agree with all the comments above. At the WMA's a lot of mers just sat on the pool side with their tails dipped in the water so I'm sure you wouldn't feel left out. The first of any convention is always a little rocky, so I anticipate future conventions to be more well-planned and accomodating for both dry and wet mers :thumbs-up: Also...the pool was very shallow and alot of peeps were standing on their flukes - LOL. If you ever wanted to get into the water you could have a cute little floaty thing and then just stand up when you didn't want to float around anymore ;-)

LindseyLu
12-29-2011, 02:42 PM
If you ever wanted to get into the water you could have a cute little floaty thing and then just stand up when you didn't want to float around anymore ;-)

I think that's a great idea! Lounge in the pool on a floating device :) Or hang out pool side. But I wouldn't worry about feeling left out...just about everyone in the mer community seems really friendly and I'm sure you'd have a few other dry mers to hang with! :) If nothing else, you could always create a make-shift thrown, you are a princess after all! <3

mermanjr
03-14-2012, 09:24 AM
well that was a travisty i must admit but this year Mer-Palooza is going to be a heck of alot better than mercon and the wma's where if you go to Mer-Palooza.com the mermaid tradeshow will please everyone and the mermaid games will be awsome and Merpalooza pool party event will be unlike anything you seen before with specail guests and big time talents from the mourning show and from the today show and as well from america got talent so check itout and buy your tickets today @ www.mer-palooza.com