PDA

View Full Version : Mer-Friends

Mermaid Sirena
12-28-2011, 11:16 PM
So I'm not the best at putting myself out there or making friends or starting conversations, I'm an introvert is typically perfectly happy to stay in my little bubble of solitude. So this is my attempt at being social and starting a conversation. If anyone wants to talk about anything, weather to rant about your problems (I have a lot of experience with helping people with their problems), talk about the good, random ideas or thoughts I would love to hear them and have a conversation... about anything really :)

Feel free toe message me on here, facebook (http://www.facebook.com/#!/sirena.engkantos) or email me (mermaidsirena@ymail.com) :D

happyguava
12-28-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm pretty introverted too, Sirena! I also suck at getting to know people. *thinks of something to have a conversation about*

Neria
12-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Same here, if you notice I only done about 12 posts :( I am actually on here almost everyday but I hardly ever post anything and I am really more of a lurker.

Sooooo, what do you guys think about kittens? Pretty cute if you ask me.

malinghi
12-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Kitten are cute?! Don't you think that's a little too controversial?!

http://youtu.be/QH2-TGUlwu4

Anyway, I'm glad you guys are stepping outside your comfort zone. By the way, I'm surprised to learn that you guys are shy. How come? You guys seem like you'd be pretty good at socializing.

ShyMer
12-29-2011, 08:16 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I feel like any time I try to get out there and talk to people I say something stupid that gets on people's nerves or something...

Maybe it's due to inexperience with dealing with people outside of necessity or something but I'm really awkward around people.
I think I'd rather talk to you guys sometimes though. I don't feel like I'm going to be bowled over:)

Also, for those of us who are late on some Christmas gifts, how to gift wrap a cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm3dm5J5r0A).

SireniaSolaris
12-29-2011, 08:37 AM
I think you just need to put yourself into a profession that MAKES you social. I use to be the quietest, shyest person until about a year ago. I reeeeeeally needed a job, and there was this company hiring where you make balloon animals for kids in restaurants. However, you obviously have to approach people, say hello, and chat up a storm with all the different families while you create whatever it was you were making, so they specifically put on there that you must be a social person.

Well, I really really needed work, and I'm one of those who could probably bluff my way into any position (though I'd only do that if I knew for sure that I can actually do the job), so when they asked about my being social, I TOTALLY lied on that, but I got the job. At first it was SOOOOO weird, and I felt so strange and uncomfortable just going up to people and talking >.< FF about a month, it just kind of settled in and became a new natural state for me. Now even when I'm not at work, when I'm out and in a line somewhere, standing by those people talking so loudly you swear they are trying to have the whole facility know what's going on, if it is a topic I have something to say about and I think my comment might possibly be a decent contribution to their thoughts, I just say it. Now I'm one of those kinds of people, lol. Must make note to self to never go to Germany now.

But yes, point being, I trained myself to become a social person because of what I do for a living. So you could very well turn yourself un-shy, too :)

Mermaid Miel
12-29-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm the strangest mer in that I'm my most social around stranger's kids... It sounds creepy, but it's just that I can talk/relate to children better than people in my own age-range. This might be because I'm 26 and still interested in playing dress-ups, barbies, myChild baby dolls, My Little Pony and mermaids. All the other girls in my age-range seem to be interested in going out to noisy clubs, imbibing dangerous amounts of alcohol and chatting up strangers in the hope of finding true-love. I found mine by attending Borders bookshop dressed as tinkerbell one Halloween. He thought I was as cute as a Celebi. I have two cats, a overly affectionate lady named Tiger and an Independant athletic girl named Precious.

Mermaid Sirena
12-29-2011, 10:45 PM
I do a lot of Fake it till you make it and I don't have a problem with kids, I love kids around them I can almost relax and just have fun. Except I'm always petrified of their parents throwing a hissy fit over something that didn't even happen.

I do tend to feel strange a lot of it is I'm always worried about how people are judging me as in RL just about the only thing I have, when it comes to making new friends is my reputation/how people perceive me.

@SireniaSolaris That's an idea and I've been working on putting myself in more social situations but then I run into the problem where I'm a listener and I tend to have my words be more quality over quantity. I'm much better then what I was though which is great progress! I think that's what this mermaiding is helping me do though as it's putting me in new situations with lots of new people.

Mermaid Saphira
02-02-2012, 06:24 PM
I am shy as well...When people say something I just blush and have an akward smile burst across my face. I guess I get it from my dad, he doesn't like to talk to people either :P

Amethyst
03-13-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm 28, married and havn't any friends :rolleyes: I had lots in high school but when we went to different colleges and I got married, we lost touch, part of me didn't really mind, I was so sick of all the friend bitching and drama, everyone was so 2 faced! So I was quite happy with me and my hubby just being a two-some but sometimes I do wish I could have someone to chat to or share things with, like others here, people my own age aren't into the same things as me, they're all into clubbing and drinking, I don't smoke or drink and I much prefer a nice coffee shop to a pub or club any day! :)

Mermaid Sirena
03-14-2012, 04:33 PM
I've been encountering a similar problem myself in real life with people my age wanting to drink and party and all that 'fun' stuff. I don't see anything wrong with it I just don't enjoy it myself.

NewYorkMermaid
03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
^exactly imat that age where people should be out there having fun drinking partying etc,

But im more of a big kid and pretty shy, at least till i am comfortable and ill open up. I dont smoke at all (never have and never will) I rarely ever drink and im not much of a clubbing girl. I didint do any clubbing in my late teens-mid 20s.Im much more of a calm person, who'd rather go out and be adventurous in nature than in drinks or other. I have friends but its a small close group of us. But I mostly keep to myself..

Unlike my Mersona- where in tail im interactive and outspoken.

SweeteSiren
03-20-2012, 08:48 PM
for those of us who are late on some Christmas gifts, how to gift wrap a cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm3dm5J5r0A).

Very cute! But I like how not to wrap a cat (http://youtu.be/eCQNmFoz_dI) even better!

malinghi
03-20-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't smoke or drink and I much prefer a nice coffee shop to a pub or club any day! :)

I've been encountering a similar problem myself in real life with people my age wanting to drink and party and all that 'fun' stuff. I don't see anything wrong with it I just don't enjoy it myself.

I'm getting better at being social and meeting new people. One of the tricks is just to be really tenacious. I have a self imposed rule where I'm not allowed to turn down any opportunity to hang out with people unless it requires an unreasonable sacrifice of time or money. I can turn things down cause I need to study, or its a long drive, or I'd have to pay admission or something. But I can't use excuses like not being in the mood, or wanting to watch TV, or the fact that its raining, or I won't know anyone at the event.

Incidentally, I actually went to a chess club this evening. I'm not even very good at chess. The club meets to play chess every other week at a local bar/restaurant and some people have drinks, but I don't drink while playing chess- I need all the help I can get.

Also, for meeting new friends, I use couchsurfing and okcupid. They're very useful for getting introduced to new people.

Gem Stone
03-21-2012, 06:48 PM
I love chess! I used to beat my math teacher and all the boys in my grade. Silly boys, no offense, but I used the same tactic every time and only lost three times

Mermaid Sirena
03-21-2012, 07:54 PM
I love chess, there has only ben two games of note in my life. 1 - I beat a friend of mine in 3 moves, and 2 - I beat my day once :D

malinghi
03-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I beat my day once :D

I'm guessing this was "dad"

Mermaid Sirena
03-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Oops yes dad ^_^

Gem Stone
03-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Does anyone play scramble? Ill play you.

Mermaid Sirena
03-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Scramble?

Gem Stone
03-21-2012, 10:22 PM
yeah. its a free app. pretty fun word game

Amethyst
03-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Me and my hubby like to play board games, we have a whole pile of them! lol Our favourite is electronic battle ships lol

Nemefish
03-29-2012, 12:23 AM
So I'm not the best at putting myself out there or making friends or starting conversations, I'm an introvert is typically perfectly happy to stay in my little bubble of solitude. So this is my attempt at being social and starting a conversation. If anyone wants to talk about anything, weather to rant about your problems (I have a lot of experience with helping people with their problems), talk about the good, random ideas or thoughts I would love to hear them and have a conversation... about anything really :)

Feel free toe message me on here, facebook (http://www.facebook.com/#%21/sirena.engkantos) or email me (mermaidsirena@ymail.com) :D

ME TOO!!! IM AN INTROVERT! i am despreatly trying to make some friends and get involved with other mers but im afraid that i am new to this whole thing and im afraind to just ask people to be friend even of i know them from afar because of the videos ive seen of them swimming on youtube or other places :S i would love to be friends <3 :D

Nemefish
03-29-2012, 12:26 AM
I

Nemefish
03-29-2012, 12:27 AM
i say lets all befriend each other :D
:yay: :highfive: :rotfl:

Nemefish
03-29-2012, 12:29 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I feel like any time I try to get out there and talk to people I say something stupid that gets on people's nerves or something...

Maybe it's due to inexperience with dealing with people outside of necessity or something but I'm really awkward around people.
I think I'd rather talk to you guys sometimes though. I don't feel like I'm going to be bowled over:)

Also, for those of us who are late on some Christmas gifts, how to gift wrap a cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm3dm5J5r0A).
god i feel the same way :S

Nemefish
03-29-2012, 12:33 AM
I do a lot of Fake it till you make it and I don't have a problem with kids, I love kids around them I can almost relax and just have fun. Except I'm always petrified of their parents throwing a hissy fit over something that didn't even happen.

I do tend to feel strange a lot of it is I'm always worried about how people are judging me as in RL just about the only thing I have, when it comes to making new friends is my reputation/how people perceive me.

@SireniaSolaris That's an idea and I've been working on putting myself in more social situations but then I run into the problem where I'm a listener and I tend to have my words be more quality over quantity. I'm much better then what I was though which is great progress! I think that's what this mermaiding is helping me do though as it's putting me in new situations with lots of new people.

i know how you feel :3

MermaidMisty
03-30-2012, 09:53 AM
I used to be much better at socializing in high school, but I've gotten much worse recently. Honestly my mind is starting to debate if I even need social skills, but thankfully the rest of my mind knows well enough that the thought is just the result of anxiety.
I need to work on my social anxiety, because I want to go swimming really badly. I don't have my own pool, the ocean here is too cold except for in part of summer, and I just recently found out we have a public pool. I need to first get a bathing suit, I lost a lot of weight and my old one doesn't fit now. But mainly, I feel a lot of illogical anxiety over going. Maybe it would help if I weren't planning to go alone. But maybe I'd make a friend there.

Bellasea
04-24-2012, 09:29 AM
I find it way easier to talk to strangers. I kinda like one of those overly friendly people you sit next to on the long plane flight tghat won't shut up! :P I find it really fard to start up conversations with people I see everyday. Like, kids at my school, I don't talk to them for I always feel really akward...

Mermaid Sirena
04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm the exact opposite, if you're a stranger I wont say a word but if I know you good luck shutting me up ^_^

Mermaid Rillia
04-24-2012, 10:59 PM
I find it way easier to talk to strangers. I kinda like one of those overly friendly people you sit next to on the long plane flight tghat won't shut up! :P I find it really fard to start up conversations with people I see everyday. Like, kids at my school, I don't talk to them for I always feel really akward...

I know exactly how you feel.
I like to talk sometimes, just as long as I know you. or ive talked to you on fb.
But talking to strangers or introducing myself to someone new I have never been good at.

Bellasea
04-25-2012, 09:35 AM
I think I am ok with talking to strangers bewcause I will never meet them again, so it ok to act like a fool. :P But people I will interact with day after day, yeah...I'm so nervous that I will embaress myself, which when you are always second guessing yourself convos can get awkard.

Unless your a friend, then I don't hold back. :D

mermaidcatherine
04-25-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm so introverted and shy oh goodness. My flute professor brought that up last week because it's part of why I don't play very loudly, and part of my assignment for my next lesson is to be more assertive with my friends three times before my lesson! (And to like, practice and whatnot but that's a given.)
I find I tend to be much more outgoing on the internet, and I think that's because online I don't have to worry about what people think of me as much, and in a way you can create your personality and be something completely different, because you have time to think and rewrite what you're going to say before you put it out there.

Bellasea
04-25-2012, 10:53 PM
So true! If we all met up to talk and all these these post/threads turned into convos, I don't think I would join in.

Tasha Mermaid
04-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm the strangest mer in that I'm my most social around stranger's kids... It sounds creepy, but it's just that I can talk/relate to children better than people in my own age-range. This might be because I'm 26 and still interested in playing dress-ups, barbies, myChild baby dolls, My Little Pony and mermaids. All the other girls in my age-range seem to be interested in going out to noisy clubs, imbibing dangerous amounts of alcohol and chatting up strangers in the hope of finding true-love. I found mine by attending Borders bookshop dressed as tinkerbell one Halloween. He thought I was as cute as a Celebi. I have two cats, a overly affectionate lady named Tiger and an Independant athletic girl named Precious.

Im 24 this year and i love then too, i worked as a pre-school teacher i ADORE teaching young children age 0-6 years and playing with the toys, in fact i don't care what people think of me ....i take odd to a whole new level....
im incredibly shy and hate being in big places by myself (its a phobia) or being centre of attention... BUT i refuse to wear anything anyone around me would wear (I'm a complete hippy faerie type dresser) and i tend to zone out singing to myself and skipping or dancing in public without realising it,

Im shy but once you get me talking i open up to being quite social and never have trouble making friends.

im introverted i love staying home by myself with my animals and just reading (I've read 13 book this past 3 weeks lol) but I'm the first to do a party at my house and do the catering for it

i ytend to talk to trees and animals like i do humans, I'm very empathic so feel what others including animals and nature feel, i tend to get overly emotional, not to mention that i see spirits and entities EVERYWHERE for instance last night there was a giant black dog spirit hanging out the front of my fabric store.

i also knows things before they happen (not always though) and can emotional mind read that allows me to know everything about a person, animal, tree or spirit just be being near them or having a photo or even a letter written by them, due to this alot of people get me to try to find out about the spirits that haunt there place or etc to find out why and to talk to them....

all in all i take weirdo to a whole new level hahaha BUT i LOVE being me in all my weirdness and as you may have noticed i don't mind people knowing either, i see it as you get what you see and if you choose to be my friend i will be the most loyal protecting friend you will ever find, i know just what to say to fix problems too :P

oh i have Facebook you should all add me, don't worry i don't bite i promise ;) .... its www.facebook.com/mermaid.lunali
I'm too laid back and bubbly to make anyone feel uncomfortable and people tell me that its like they have known me forever, i have a way with people....besides all my weirdness makes for an interesting friend lol <3

embry
04-27-2012, 01:20 AM
I am the same as everyone i think.. i am really shy but once i get to know you i blab your ear off and i get loud. I think i have a hard time making friends is because i tend to sometimes be a little bit more mature then people my age (i'm 25) i was in a 11 year relationship and owned 2 businesses but i am trying to get rid of that newly singleish (ish cause ive been dating someone already for a year now ;)) i find myself trying to connect to my younger self all over again. but still have a hard time connecting with people my age.. the whole bar thing isn't me and if i was to drink i am a wine boy and rather chill at home chat with some music playing type guy.. anyways now i sound complete buttish (ish is apparently my word tonight) i am me love me or hate me what can i say i am very fun once you get to know me and well and a warning i am dirty minded LMAO i can't help it ok! LOL now i am blabbing ok ok! add me on facebook yeah Embry isn't my real name sue me lol but it is a nickname from all my old friends.. so ADD ME (http://www.facebook.com/matthew.addams) oh did i forget to mention i'm weird? lol

Mermaid Dottie
04-27-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm not introverted at all anymore, so I'm just gonna go ahead and send everyone in this thread a friend request as proof of my naturally annoying yet loving personality.

Mermaid Dottie
04-27-2012, 01:30 PM
and speaking of kittens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbafjeX-r6k

mermaidcatherine
04-28-2012, 12:18 AM
I feel like if we were to all meet each other in real life, we would spend half the time standing around awkwardly, and then the last half we would just run (or swim) around screaming.

Tasha Mermaid
04-28-2012, 12:58 AM
I feel like if we were to all meet each other in real life, we would spend half the time standing around awkwardly, and then the last half we would just run (or swim) around screaming.
i disagree, if put into the situation where everyone is awkward then i break the ice and become the social type....hey i already stated I'm more then weird, I'm Libran we love balance so I'm both extremely shy AND extremely social :D.....im going to add everyone as well, because i can :P

embry
04-28-2012, 02:23 AM
My scary gayness would come out and make everyone laugh *HEY GURL HAY!* *looks around* :lol: even though i am shy it happens lol

Mermaid Rillia
04-28-2012, 02:47 AM
I feel like if we were all to meet up it would be awkward at first, but then it would be a blast. And scary gayness is always fun embry :)

mermaidcatherine
04-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Ok well *I* would be super awkward, and then run around screaming like a crazy person. Because I am a crazy person. And super awkward.

embry
04-28-2012, 07:36 PM
well i know there is a big mall where i live with a big swimming area that quite possible would let us bring our tales in for a great meet up >.< whos in on coming to CANADA! lol it's warm i promise! LOL

mermaidcatherine
04-29-2012, 12:09 AM
I've been to Siberia (in July...), I can deal with Canada. I'm down with that.

embry
04-29-2012, 02:59 PM
if anyone is interested what i am talking about it's here http://www.wem.ca/#/play/theme-parks-attractions/world-waterpark
we could possibly swim with the sea lions too >.< http://www.wem.ca/#/play/theme-parks-attractions/marine-life

just a suggestion >.< hehe

Tasha Mermaid
04-30-2012, 01:59 AM
I'm like on the OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD!!!! now if some one paid my air fair lol ;) ...oh and Emby i bet our Australian weather even in winter beats your "hot summer" lol .... but I'm my dreamland i would sooo be there.....oh and emby ALL my friends are gay, lesbian, bi or transgendered so it wouldn't be anything knew to me hahaha, I get called the straight centre of thegay community lol :P