PDA

View Full Version : What Things Do You Do To Help The Planet And The Animals?-Part Two

Princess Kae-Leah
07-17-2015, 08:42 PM
I started a thread like this years ago when I was still a newbie mer, but since then I've grown and matured a lot, so I'm giving it another go. Over the past year or two, I've switched from focusing on being an activist trying very hard to convert others to my beliefs to instead focusing on in my own lifestyle making little switches to do my best to live as eco-friendly and animal-friendly a lifestyle as I realistically can. I guess part of the reason why I've gotten less pushy and militant about it is that I've fallen under the influence of my best friend Lisa, who is very apolitical, she's just not that interested in most political causes, so spending a lot of time chatting with her about common interests that have nothing to do with causes has made me focus on being an activist less. Lisa actually admits to me that she eats seafood occasionally, although she doesn't exactly throw it in my face, she's been respectful, and because she's been such an incredible healing influence in my life, I haven't really felt like being that hard on her about it. I haven't really changed my own views, but I'm just not as focused on aggressively trying to convert everyone else.
I'll list the choices I make for the sake of the environment and animals, and you guys can list yours as well if you want. :) Who knows, maybe we'll inspire each other! :)
(1) I use reusable shopping bags regularly
(2) I use rechargeable batteries
(3) I obsessively recycle all waste that is locally recycleable
(4) I shop at thrift stores fairly regularly
(5) I use energy-efficient lightbulbs when possible
(6) I compost yard waste and food scraps
(7) I do not own a car
(8) I reuse plastic drinking straws several times when possible
(9) I reuse plastic water bottles several times when possible
(10) I try to only buy bottled water brands that have bottles made from 100% recycled plastic, although I know water privitization(sp?) is still a problem...
(11) I never wear real fur
(12) I never wear real leather
(13) I do not eat any seafood
(14) I do not eat red meat
(15) I do not eat pork
(16) I vote for political candidates who support environmental and animal welfare issues
(17) I use (preferably non-GMO) soy milk on my cereal and in my coffee instead of dairy milk
(18) I do not smoke
(19) I try not to buy products that have been tested on animals
(20) I use a fragrance-free, dye-free laundry detergent
(21) I e-cycle old electronics that no longer work
(22) I use Natracare all-natural feminine hygiene products whenever possible
(23) I try to avoid wearing real wool
(24) I turn off the water when brushing my teeth
(25) I only turn on lights when I really need them on, and try to always turn them off when I leave the room
(26) I try to only run the dishwasher with a full load
(27) I try to buy local produce when possible
(28) I brush my teeth with an all-natural toothpaste by Tom's of Maine
(29) I use EnergyStar appliances whenever possible
(30) I never litter
(31) I never wear perfume or use scented personal care products
(32) My mom recently insisted on buying an air conditioner, so I try to only use it when we really need it bad as I know they use a lot of energy
(33) I recently switched from eating regularly a heavily processed, packaged-in-styrofoam brand of instant ramen that contains trace amounts of chicken and, as I was shocked to find out, seafood products to a vegan, organic brand, even though it costs almost ten times more :P
(34) I reuse a lot of the same bows, present bags, tissue paper, and other wrapping materials at Christmastime year after year
(35) I know the toys I donate to Toys For Tots aren't really eco as they're pretty much all mass-produced in overseas sweatshops, but I feel that spending money on those in need is way better for the world than constantly buying new stuff for myself

Dancing Fish
07-17-2015, 09:24 PM
Avid thrifter over here! We also have tried to downsize and just not buy a lot of stuff in general, and we grow a lot of our own food in our big garden. We're big DIYers over here and try to reuse building materials in creative ways. Once we've paid off our debts we'll go back to buying more from our local CSA program. I love to forage for wild food, too! I don't hunt but there are a lot of hunters in my area who do care deeply about our natural world. Also, I teach biology-- I'm training future scientists who will hopefully go on to help the environment (assuming anyone will listen to them in 20 years). My university has a wonderful ecology program. We probably use too much electricity/water but every time we buy a new appliance we go for the more efficient ones.

Mermaid Strega
07-17-2015, 09:29 PM
I try to use eco friendly products, I use a cup instead of disposable pads, and I refuse to use bottled water. I carry a reusable water bottle instead. I loooove thrifting, and I'm moving towards a more minimalist approach to my home, so I simply don't buy much. I also recycle a lot. I usually walk/bike to work and the park as well.

I've always been more conscientious than a lot of the people I know, and have been since I became an active Wiccan in my early teens.

When I own my own home I want a veggie/herb garden and energy efficient appliance. My husband says I drive him nuts with my compulsion to keep the heat low and the lights off. XD