PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With Extreme Temps

Mermaid Cherish
07-28-2015, 08:41 AM
So I have a concern. I'll be talking to my Dr about it today, when I go to see her for the lung problem I developed over the weekend.

I'm not asthmatic, but I believe I have some lung damage because of how much the weather effects me on land. If it's a humid day, I have a harder time breathing. I've had 5-6 cases of Bronchitis and 1 of walking pneumonia. I have an inhaler used only as needed, which isn't very frequent. Saturday, my husband and I went swimming in a very cold lake. I was working on my mermaiding skills. (Very proud of myself, by the way. I got a good dolphin kick in twice! Yay me!)

I think I've been feeling the repercussions of the day ever since. That evening, my throat was burning. I swallowed some water, so I thought it might be that. Over the past 24-48 hours, though, I've had to kill cold-like symptoms with Zinc. I'm dried out now, but it feels like my throat is still closed off a bit. Still having problems sleeping lying down. I have no proof of how I got sick, but I was quite healthy before we got into the lake. That's not to say someone at the beach didn't necessarily give me something I didn't want either, though.

So my question is, how do you deal with the extreme temperatures in the water on your chest? I really don't want to give up my dream! I have to figure this out somehow. I'm seeking medical advice from my Dr, but in the mean time, if any one has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thank you!

Lotus the Mermaid
07-28-2015, 11:10 AM
That actually sounds like the effects of the bacteria in the lake water. Even the cleanest lakes will have some. I'll let another mer answer your question about temp! I also have asthmatic issues. Mine are due to temperature, actually. I can't hardly breathe when it's hot, to the point where I can't enjoy hot baths for long. D:

Echidna
07-28-2015, 11:21 AM
There are chronic diseases which are highly susceptible to temperature.
I used to get sick every single time I went swimming until I figured that out.

I try and stick to warmer waters, but when I can't avoid cold, I use suits to keep warm and keep the time where I'm only wearing an exposing mermaid costume as short as possible.

Maybe a neoprene top could help if your problem is chest-related.

Mermaid Cherish
07-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Lotus, I expect my issues are due to extremes in temp to. That's what I'm trying to convey. Not just in the water extremes bother, but on dry land too. Wondering if I should maybe drink something after to keep my throat open.

Thanks, Echidna. Neoprene. I'll look into that.

AniaR
07-28-2015, 02:57 PM
do a physical warm up 30 minutes before going in the water has helped me a lot, along with eating fats. I usually have certain foods before going into cold water. And a hot drink. I find between all of that it makes a surprising difference. If you can manage to have some time in the water before the gig starts it's good to go slow and slow breathing to start too before the gig. Neoprene under the tail helps keep you warm, and bra inserts too. I find a lot of our cold as ladies comes from our boobs turning to ice and being these big ol blocks of cold on our chest. If it's a dry gig and cold, put a hot pack in your tail in on your costume somewhere.

For heat, we bought a canopy and use it at every dry gig. Gives us shade. We have squirt bottles so we can mist ourselves. Lots of water. and mini fans if needed!

MerMaisy
07-28-2015, 04:46 PM
I'll definitely be following your advice Raina. I have issues with getting overly cold in the water.

Mermaid Cherish
07-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Lots of good info, Ania! I'm not a performer. I'm in training- which, I expect, will take me about 2 years considering I have fat to lose to earn my tail. :P

So I talked to my doctor today and she gave me her opinion, to the best of her ability. She made it clear she's not an expert, though she's met a few divers. Having said that, she gave me her medical advice on my condition.

Although I have no scarred tissue in my ears, they are bad. I have had issues with my ears my entire life. They're vacuumed in and she isn't sure how well the middle ear can adjust to pressure. She's concerned that I will never be able to dive more then 10 feet. Though that would certainly be enough for a surface swimming mermaid. The only way I could actually know my limitations, however, would be to actually dive and see how much pressure I can take. She wasn't sure, but said I'd know my limits when I reached them. I asked if ear plugs would help with pressure, but another things she didn't know. Does any one else?

Also, she did mention concern with my lungs. She said to use my inhaler before I get into the (cold) water again. About all she COULD say, not knowing what tools would be available to divers to keep warm in the waters. She wasn't even sure if warm beverages would help. So most of my knowledge will probably come from professional divers and mermaids themselves to keep me safe. :)

Glad that my rebellious body won't necessarily keep me from mermaiding. Will be taking in all I can learn during the next year, while I do no-fin training and lose the weight. They said I've lost 18 pounds since the last time I was in. Only started working out a couple weeks ago, but I was quite ecstatic to see my weight today!

AniaR
07-28-2015, 09:35 PM
I have ear problems too and use silicone puddy made for your ears, in every water gig. :) I can't dive more than 13 feet but guess what? you dont usually ever have a reason to do that in the mer world anyway! You can buy special vented earplugs that help with pressure.

Mermaid Cherish
07-28-2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks Ania! Woohoo!:clap:

AniaR
07-28-2015, 10:06 PM
For reference, I am wearing clear ear plugs (silicone) and a clear noseplug THE ENTIRE TIME I did this. It went down about 13 ft and was super cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK0Io0pJKdc

Cordelia
07-28-2015, 10:30 PM
Keep in mind, too, that you are probably using a lot of muscles that you don't normally use in day to day life if you have not been swimming regularly. I tend to have tightened shoulder, back, leg, and arm muscles (like I got in a good workout) after the first few swims. Muscles in your chest might also be tightening, which could make it difficult to breath.

Mermaid Cherish
07-29-2015, 04:09 PM
Keep in mind, too, that you are probably using a lot of muscles that you don't normally use in day to day life if you have not been swimming regularly. I tend to have tightened shoulder, back, leg, and arm muscles (like I got in a good workout) after the first few swims. Muscles in your chest might also be tightening, which could make it difficult to breath.

Good point, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't that. Saturday is my rest day. We were simply out messing around. I did some Mermaid work, but nothing strenuous. I was visiting with a chatty husband more than swimming that day. Had fun with the waves though! :)