PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Merrowfins? "New" Tailmaker

Pages : [1] 2 3

Inkling
08-04-2015, 06:49 PM
It looks like Merrowfins is breaking away from Mertailor. I hope it works out for everyone involved...but I can't see this ending well. Thoughts?

Mermaid Wesley
08-04-2015, 06:56 PM
yeah i saw that... i definitely dont see any of that ending well but hey good luck to them i guess.

Merman Arion
08-04-2015, 07:04 PM
I think what happened between the former sculpter artist behind all mertailor's fluke designs and Eric is their business and not ours.

He made the choice of leaving the company and left all former fluke molds to Eric. He's willing to replace them with brand new designs and he will probably recreate some if requested by a customer.

SeaGlass Siren
08-04-2015, 07:16 PM
this is news to me.

PearlieMae
08-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Who is Merrowfins?

malinghi
08-04-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm feeling out of the loop too. So from what Arion said, I gather a former collaborator of the Mertailor is now making tails? Can someone explain the details?

Meronica
08-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Someone asked me if it was Matt, and I have no idea. I messaged their FB page and didn't get much info other than their tails start at $2,700 and up, and that they created the newer Mertailor designs we have seen, and that they are currently making a tail for one of the Dive Bar mermaids.

Looks like we'll have to wait and see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Mystery
08-04-2015, 08:42 PM
I don't know much but it appears to me that Matthew has split from the Mertailor completely and is going to start making full silicone tails

PearlieMae
08-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Eric and Matt went their separate ways in January.

Yulia
08-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Yeah, seems like this is Matt who is making tails at his own now. Good for him!

Merman Arion
08-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Who is Merrowfins?

Here is a link to their page : https://www.facebook.com/MerrowFins

Matty and Eden Sirene created the company together.

I'm feeling out of the loop too. So from what Arion said, I gather a former collaborator of the Mertailor is now making tails? Can someone explain the details?

Yes, it is Matty. He wasn't just a collaborator, as a sculptor artist, he created all the former designs currently being offered on the mertailor's website.

Celaeno
08-04-2015, 09:04 PM
I hope he didn't sign a non-compete agreement with Eric.

Inkling
08-04-2015, 10:27 PM
I hope he didn't sign a non-compete agreement with Eric.

This.^

I wish both of the tail makers luck and hope they do well. It just seems like a messy situation for those involved.

malinghi
08-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Thanks for explaining.

I wish them all the best of luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

AniaR
08-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Yeah there was a lot of bad blood even though publicly everyone did their best to keep it professional. I know matty went through some horrible stuff. But from what I understand he did pretty much all the good stuff that people liked from mertailor. orignially mertailor let him have a fanpage where he posted his contributions to the company, but when it got popular he made matty take it down because it was 'confusing' to clients. I know the lobster tail for instance was a majority of matty's work inspired by his love of the spiderwick chronicles.

Matty and I dont have the best past, but we've chatted and I'm willing to give him a chance as his own person outside of mertailor. I know from personal experience that certain people can bring out the worst in others.

Mermaid Jaffa
08-05-2015, 12:38 AM
So Matty made the leaf fluke? I hope he one day sells it as a separate monofin. I'd totally buy it!

Coradion
08-05-2015, 03:55 AM
They've done a lot of beautiful work together. I hope they both produce beautiful things as separate entities as well :)

Arella
08-05-2015, 09:32 AM
I think he does great work (from what I've seen in the sculpts) can't wait to see more! Hopefully his customer service will be better than Mertailors.

EdenSirene
08-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Hello let me introduce Merrow Fins.. We are a company that will put our customers first and our options will be limitless.. We want to be able to reach everyone's budgets and will not be copying Eric.. This is a Right To Work State and we have the right to create beautiful art and make mermaids and mermen's dreams come true. We will have many new authentic exciting new flukes with many new fin options.. We will also have many other artistic pieces to buy so we can truly reach all your needs. Many people share the same job just as Raven and Eric, Erin (Mernation), and Jessica Mer all live here is Florida and create beautiful works of art. Each tail maker is different in their own art and should be able to embrace that. What we at Merrow Fins want is satisfied, ecstatic, Mers in love with their tails and we will do everything to deliver it. Nothing is copied from the Mertailor and Eric .. Even though some of the best pieces done like the lobster was by Mathew.. We as a company wish each tail maker the best of luck as we all continue thriving in this deep blue sea and I am most excited to see some of you in our tails . Yes we will have a beautiful leaf fluke and it comes in options for each individual Mer.. We look forward to serving this awesome community!!!

PearlieMae
08-05-2015, 12:11 PM
:clap:

Congrats, Eden and Merrow Fins! I look forward to seeing wonderful work from you guys!

Mermaid Wesley
08-05-2015, 12:15 PM
I wish you luck and am excited to see what you guys come up with

Yulia
08-05-2015, 12:16 PM
All my favorite things from Mertailor will be explored more from Merrowfins, looking forward to see what you guys will do! :)

Are you doing different scale-designs?

Starfrit
08-05-2015, 12:21 PM
I'm pretty stoked, to be honest. Everything I've loved by The Mertailor was mostly Matt's work, so I'm eager to see what kind of stuff you guys are able to produce with your own company!

Good luck with it, Matt and Eden! <3

Mermaid Freyja
08-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Thanks EdenSirene! This is all great news, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the amazing designs and creations you guys will come up with.
xoxo

Fun123joker
08-05-2015, 03:25 PM
oooooooooooooo those flukes. im curisous to see how business is going to be for bothh companies in a few months/year or 2

SeaGlass Siren
08-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Congrats Matt and Eden!!! Super stoked to see what you guys create!

Merenneito Nerissa
09-19-2015, 05:41 AM
I'm really excited about this company. I really need a new tail as soon as I have the funds together, and because I love those exact flukes the most from all tailmakers' designs there is (I was going to get my full silicone one from Mertailor because of the designs, but after my last experience with him I'm not going to purchase anything from him ever again) I think that this is the company where I'm going to purchase my dream tail from. I've already sent some e-mails with MerrowFins and after those I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a tail from them when I have the money, actually I think I have saved enough already before the end of this year.

Merman Arion
09-19-2015, 08:21 AM
I'm really excited about this company. I really need a new tail as soon as I have the funds together, and because I love those exact flukes the most from all tailmakers' designs there is (I was going to get my full silicone one from Mertailor because of the designs, but after my last experience with him I'm not going to purchase anything from him ever again) I think that this is the company where I'm going to purchase my dream tail from. I've already sent some e-mails with MerrowFins and after those I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a tail from them when I have the money, actually I think I have saved enough already before the end of this year.

That's very exciting news! :D

-Annwyn-
09-19-2015, 10:48 AM
I have every confidence in Merrow Fins. Wishing them all the best!

Madison MerFaerie
09-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Dat barnacle mold, tho...
Check it out on their Facebook if you haven't seen it!!! Incredible!

SeaGlass Siren
09-21-2015, 08:34 AM
I've seen it. It gives me shivers. Of the bad kind. Because it looks nasty!!!! (I hate looking at holes)
but it does look incredibly detailed!!

Mermaid Kelda
09-21-2015, 08:43 AM
I sense a touch of trypophobia. Don't google the suriname toad.

SeaGlass Siren
09-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Not a touch. A massive ;-;
also I may or may not have seen that toad. Is that the one with the toad eggs attached to it's mothers back? Cuz that's nasty.

Prince Calypso
09-23-2015, 01:43 AM
just recently put in a request for a tail from Merrowfins. I'm so excited.

Venessa Louisiana Mermaid
09-27-2015, 02:46 AM
Yes....it will be very interesting. Generally when a new product line launches they have a website with a few basic pieces of their work. My friend recently launched a luxury lingerie business. She did 2 years of research, developed the product line and had a fully functioning website before she even mentioned THE NAME of the company. You can check it out here: http://www.chloeaurelia.com/

I say this to advise caution before placing orders. We all know our hearts and sweat go into these tails. Would be nice to see a bit more go into the business before investing.

Merman Arion
09-27-2015, 02:52 AM
Would be nice to see a bit more go into the business before investing.

We kind of did. Technically. Through Mertailor's business and during last Merfest. Matt was the sculptor artist behind most of Mertailor's fluke designs and he was part of "lobster" tail project we have seen back at the event.

Winged Mermaid
09-27-2015, 03:04 AM
Contacted them for more info on their company so I can put them in the up and coming tailmakers section :) But like with any new tailmaker, there are pros and cons that you should be aware of before/when ordering.

Venessa Louisiana Mermaid
09-27-2015, 03:17 AM
We kind of did. Technically. Through Mertailor's business and during last Merfest. Matt was the sculptor artist behind most of Mertailor's fluke designs and he was part of "lobster" tail project we have seen back at the event.

Gotcha. I just think plenty of people may not know that connection, especially new mers who are in the tail market. Regardless, having these simple things worked out and putting your line, background info, prices, etc on a website, even a simple one would be good business practice. Just sayin'.

Madison MerFaerie
09-27-2015, 04:23 AM
Regardless, having these simple things worked out and putting your line, background info, prices, etc on a website, even a simple one would be good business practice.

I agree. I would want to see examples of multiple products if I were to even think about ordering.

We know that Matt is capable of INCREDIBLE, imaginative sculpts as he demonstrated when he was associated with the Mertailor. I know I am new to the mermaiding world, but it appears to me that a big problem that people have with the Mertailor is lack of consistency (and bad customer service which is a whole different beast all together).

Here is the kicker for me: The Mertailor has produced awesome tails AND problematic tails using their molds (which definitely sounds like less of a sculpt/mold problem and more of a problem in other aspects of tailmaking that Matt may or may not have participated in).

Yes, Mertailor as a company cranked out a SICK lobster tail to debut at MerFest, and we've all seen how gorgeous their tails CAN be. But when it comes down to day-in day-out tailmaking for the average client, the Mertailor seems consistently inconsistent. It breaks my heart to read old (and new!) posts about this. Matt is clearly very very talented at sculpting, but it sucks that he was previously associated with a company that often produced a less-than-stellar product despite good sculpts/molds.

I hope that Merrowfins will post photos of how their repairs turned out and that those mers will post reviews. I know I can't wait to see some real examples of tails that Matt makes on his own. I was ready to throw down a deposit based on those barnacles alone! JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!!!!!! Haha

Prince Calypso
09-27-2015, 06:44 AM
The thing is though if no one takes the chance to order from them we will never get to see what they are capable of, whether it be positive or negative.
I agree a certain amount of cation should had with any new tail maker. Thankfully i'm not buying one of the full silicone tails from Matt and getting the silicone/fabric which is pretty much he equivalent to The Mertailor's basic silicone tail, at a slightly cheaper price. but believe me I'm aware of the wrist i'm taking but like stated before hand i atleast have some idea of what Matt is capable of because of his previous work with Eric, so that's a plus.

AniaR
09-27-2015, 09:17 AM
I agree. I would want to see examples of multiple products if I were to even think about ordering.

We know that Matt is capable of INCREDIBLE, imaginative sculpts as he demonstrated when he was associated with the Mertailor. I know I am new to the mermaiding world, but it appears to me that a big problem that people have with the Mertailor is lack of consistency (and bad customer service which is a whole different beast all together).

Here is the kicker for me: The Mertailor has produced awesome tails AND problematic tails using their molds (which definitely sounds like less of a sculpt/mold problem and more of a problem in other aspects of tailmaking that Matt may or may not have participated in).

Yes, Mertailor as a company cranked out a SICK lobster tail to debut at MerFest, and we've all seen how gorgeous their tails CAN be. But when it comes down to day-in day-out tailmaking for the average client, the Mertailor seems consistently inconsistent. It breaks my heart to read old (and new!) posts about this. Matt is clearly very very talented at sculpting, but it sucks that he was previously associated with a company that often produced a less-than-stellar product despite good sculpts/molds.

I hope that Merrowfins will post photos of how their repairs turned out and that those mers will post reviews. I know I can't wait to see some real examples of tails that Matt makes on his own. I was ready to throw down a deposit based on those barnacles alone! JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!!!!!! Haha
Well said.

Eric has always been the type to take all the credit over the years. Matty had a fb page up before where he showed some of his work but Eric made him take it down.

I think he has a unique opportunity where he knows the complaints people make about mertailor and knows how to address them in what he is creating.

I agree it would be better if he had all his ducks in a row; especially for new people who don't know. But I am excited to see what he creates. I have been sending people who need tail repairs his way.

I think it all just comes down to respect for a customer. No tail maker can be perfect, and sometimes issues will happen they can't fix. I've seen both extremes: the maker who won't fix a dang thing ( Eric) and the maker who fixes more than they should ( Raven). I think you need to fall somewhere in the middle, have a clear terms of service, and just be dang polite to people! Clients can be assholes in the wrong for sure. I have seen it. But when you start insisting everyone is like that, the problem is probably with you lol.

Matt and I have a sorted history. But I am still supportive of new tail makers so long as they don't scam anyone.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Madison MerFaerie
09-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Eric has always been the type to take all the credit over the years. Matty had a fb page up before where he showed some of his work but Eric made him take it down.

I think he has a unique opportunity where he knows the complaints people make about mertailor and knows how to address them in what he is creating.

Seriously? Wow.....

And yes, I agree that Matt has a very unique opportunity. He knows the reasons people complain about the Mertailor. If he can continue to amaze us with his abilities AND be a nice guy he will be pretty much unstoppable!

MermaidShannon
10-01-2015, 11:03 AM
I think everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves in business. I wish them well, nothing wrong with having more options. Eden has charisma and matty has talent. If they can put the right magic into it it just may work.

Merman Arion
10-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I finished the first season of "Face off" last night and I intend to start season 2 tonight. In the final episode of season 1, there was a contestant who chose "the little mermaid" as a theme. I thought of Matty and I believe he would have killed it in making the tale in real life with a background and all.. He definitely has talent.

Winged Mermaid
10-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Been ready to list them on the up and coming section on the tailmakers page, just waiting to hear back from them for the info I need to make the listing :)

Merenneito Nerissa
10-02-2015, 02:50 AM
https://www.facebook.com/MerrowFins/photos/a.1678988902332922.1073741828.1674003116164834/1699241826974296/?type=3&theater

So they are using the same method which have previously caused some problems with Mertailor products, thoughts of this guys? It looks like, though, that the silicone is cast to go through the holes, which I think wasn't the case f.ex. for the previous basic silicone which caused some problems, I understood it was just glued together through the holes? Looking forward to see how these monos move underwater and what kind of propulsion they have.

MermaidShannon
10-02-2015, 06:56 AM
Hopefully they actually have a tail made as merrowfins before you do a listing

AniaR
10-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Yeah, I think they do holes because they just don't know the trade secret for making it bond. Raven holds on to that one pretty tight. No holes in my monofins ;)
No separation, and no moving around.

As for listing, they do force people to have X amount of tails and reviews before a listing.

MermaidShannon
10-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Raina and your holes. Lol.

SeaGlass Siren
10-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I think they do holes because they just don't know the trade secret for making it bond. Raven holds on to that one pretty tight. No holes in my monofins ;)
No separation, and no moving around.

As for listing, they do force people to have X amount of tails and reviews before a listing.

She should make a nondisclosure form, then sell it and profit ;)

Dancing Fish
10-02-2015, 12:47 PM
I get why they'd add the holes, but do they need to be so big? Surely a couple of bitty holes here and there, even half the size, would serve the same purpose without decreasing the overall strength of the fin...? Related, does the "glue lace/mesh to the fin first" method NOT work over the long run, and that's why they don't use it? That would be good information for anyone considering going into tailmaking... :)

RastaMer
10-05-2015, 09:32 AM
I'm so excited to see some of their creations! I've only seen repainted mertailor tails on their page so far except for this one...

It's beautiful and the caption only said "Repainted Ms. Eden's tail". Does anyone know if this was made by Merrowfins?

Mermaid Mystery
10-05-2015, 10:11 AM
that tail was made by Jessica Mer

Merenneito Nerissa
10-11-2015, 04:29 AM
I'm quite excited that he's recreating his old fluke-styles, there was this message:

" I've been asked to recreate some of my old designs, because people loved them, so they want the originals! I won't duplicate them, but I will do them better!
Here's a few hints:

Every mermaid needs a pirate.
You're gonna go GaGa for this tail.
Let's make a splash!
Turn over a new leaf. "

Can't wait to see the new pirate and leaf flukes!! <3 :)

Merenneito Nerissa
10-11-2015, 04:30 AM
There's also some production pics of the tail he is making for one of the dive bar mermaids :) Looking good!

AniaR
10-11-2015, 02:17 PM

At merfest there were draws for free tails. As I understand it merfest paid the tail makers for the tails (I say that because Chris was organizing it over the phone while he visited here)

Mermaid Paige won a tail which was a huge deal because she's grown out of her original tail. I'm not sure the story behind why mertailor won't give her the tail she won but it's super sad to me to know that. I am glad merrowfins is picking up the slack!

Starfrit
10-11-2015, 02:39 PM

At merfest there were draws for free tails. As I understand it merfest paid the tail makers for the tails (I say that because Chris was organizing it over the phone while he visited here)

Mermaid Paige won a tail which was a huge deal because she's grown out of her original tail. I'm not sure the story behind why mertailor won't give her the tail she won but it's super sad to me to know that. I am glad merrowfins is picking up the slack!

Now I'm definitely curious as to why he's refusing to make her tail, especially if Merfest paid him for the tail. That seems incredibly skeevy (not to mention... Y'know, kind of illegal), even for Eric. Good on Matt for offering to make her tail for her, though! That's pretty rad of him.

Merenneito Nerissa
10-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Wow, that's just... wrong... :( Paige is such a sweet little mermaid. I'm also very curious what's behind all that..

jvry8c
10-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Now I'm definitely curious as to why he's refusing to make her tail, especially if Merfest paid him for the tail. That seems incredibly skeevy (not to mention... Y'know, kind of illegal), even for Eric. Good on Matt for offering to make her tail for her, though! That's pretty rad of him.

wow... Did he give a reason? Was it a situation where once he had the money, said something along the lines of "oh me? I never agreed to that? lol" Seriously for someone who gets so much press I really don't understand Eric.

Mermaid Alea
10-11-2015, 11:43 PM
I thought Mermaid Paige was a good promoter/supporter of the Mertailor as well? Like on the Mertailor site (before it was redone recently) there was at least one promo photo of her in a silicone tail.

Well, whatever the case may be, that is so sweet of Matt to make her a tail!

mermaidpaige
10-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Correction. Mermaid Paige has not received her tail(s) yet but Mertailor has said he will honor his agreement with us. Mermaid Paige won a silicone tail which is not practical so I asked if she could get 2 basic tails instead. I will post pics when they arrive.

Mermaid Wesley
10-15-2015, 02:52 PM
Oh I'm glad :)

Sherielle
10-16-2015, 04:05 PM
https://www.facebook.com/MerrowFins/posts/1703594403205705
Ooh snap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Bj7h3hzoE For those who can't get on facebook

Mermaid Wesley
10-16-2015, 05:15 PM
*sighing*
*SIIIGHHHHIIINGGGG*

Talia
10-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Maybe I am being naive, but when Eric mentioned people taking advantage of him, because he is such a Good Guy (TM), I could not help but think about all the work Matt had done for him and for his company. So yeah, maybe Matt learned something, but surely Eric must have learned something from him too.

Also, at least Matt is being a gentleman. He is saying in the video that people should not bash Eric, while Eric in his post was saying without saying that Matt basically is a thief because he is starting his own business as tail maker. Which is a very respectable thing to do, by the way. "Oh yeah sure, I'll teach you how to fix cars, but don't even think about opening your own garage". Whether he makes it or not we'll see.

I don't know, at least he is showing face and not hiding behind any one.

Dancing Fish
10-16-2015, 06:44 PM
$10/hour. For that craftsmanship. $10/hour?!?! Dude.

Sherielle
10-16-2015, 07:31 PM
$10/hour. For that craftsmanship. $10/hour?!?! Dude.

Yeah. Not right

AniaR
10-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Matty,

First of all, good on you for taking the high road. You didn't short change eric, and you didnt bash him. You were very well spoken. Very respectful. very professional. I'm honestly taken aback a bit. Some people don't know you and I have had a history (it was more to do with Eric) and man you just earned so much respect in my eyes not because of what you said, but how diplomatically you said it.

As to what you said, I long since suspected the work was yours. The quality just changed so drastically. It must be very hard for you to see your creations out there- especially the spiderwick tail. It clearly meant so much to you.

I'm aghast at what you were paid. 10$ an hour is below minimum wage where I live. I pay my mermaids 60$-100$ an hour depending on the gig and the rates I'm able to negotiate from clients. (Anything lower than that is usually charity and something we all agree on first. )

You clearly understand the law (I researched the exact same facts you presented. the very rules you outlined are actually how Eric gets away with stealing designs from others!) and you understand the balance between designer and creator. The one thing I would say to your ex friend who mentioned steve jobs is that comparing mermaid tails and iphones is like apples and dishwashers. It's not the same thing. Think instead of the existing special effects field. In a movie pretty much everyone is credited for their hand in the special effects. Just as much credit goes to designers as it does to those who put the project together. Just like writers, producers, directors. You can't say a writer's job is above a director etc.

Anyway, good on you man. colour me impressed. You should join mernetwork, I think people understand now you aren't Eric.

Mermaid Alea
10-17-2015, 12:47 AM
That was a great video. I am super excited to watch Merrowfins take off. :)

The Harlem Mermaid
10-17-2015, 02:01 AM
im so happy to hear that he will honor his agreement. she is such a sweetheart i was under the impressioned she had received her (won) tail already, looking forward to seeing the photos

Merman Arion
10-17-2015, 05:48 AM
If it's not too much to ask, could someone write here what Matty said? I have been trying to understand the whole thing by watching the video three time and it's just too confusing for me. Despite reading on his lips, the sound is not loud enough for me to follow up what he's trying to explain.

I'm not asking for a whole script but maybe the most important points? I apologize for the trouble.

Mermaid Wesley
10-17-2015, 06:06 AM
I'll do my best! VERY briefly because I can't re-watch it right now, Matt is saying:

There have been a lot of questions as to his rights to the creations that mertailor sell.

Legally he has the rights to the sculptures of almost all the flukes, the fins, the scale sheet, the molds for the whale tail, vagina tail, and the lobster tail. By sculpting these he has all the rights to them. He talks about all the other things he has done for the mertailor company, making things for Eric and such.

Then he goes on to say that when he worked for mertailor on a commission-basis, he was payed 100$ for each sculpture and when he worked for mertailor for an hourly wage, he got 10$/ hour. (Florida's minimum hourly wage is $8.05/hour) ;I make 10.25/hour shelving books in a library with no skill)

He says not to attack Eric and that hate is not what he wants. He just wants a mutually respectful relationship. He says that he doesn't feel respected by Eric and wanted to be up-front with everyone.

Merman Arion
10-17-2015, 06:22 AM
Thank you Wesley :hug: :hug: :hug:

I understand things better now. I agree with Raina, Matty is the bigger man in this situation. As for Eric, well, he's just busy being... his usual self.

Mermaid Wesley
10-17-2015, 06:27 AM
You're welcome! Im glad I could help :)

AniaR
10-17-2015, 01:34 PM

In which eric compares rival tail companies to rape.

So was he raping people when he stole their ideas openly?

Sorry but not cool bro. how undermining to every rape victim.

Theobromine
10-17-2015, 02:00 PM
That man has the most twisted perception of reality and that is STILL the most vile, despicable thing I've ever seen him say. For so many reasons, not the LEAST of which is comparing himself to RAPE VICTIMS simply because his ex started a rival company (which, news flash, is what happens all the damn time in the business world and it doesn't make you a fucking victim).

Merman Arion
10-17-2015, 02:19 PM

It is not a secret here that I do not appreciate Eric's ways of doing business as the Mertailor. But after seeing this, he will NEVER gain my respect.

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/2414/1098/original.gif

Starfrit
10-17-2015, 02:53 PM
... I'm actually speechless.

PearlieMae
10-17-2015, 04:47 PM
If he really thinks that a business competitor is the equivalent of rape...that's...just too stupid for words.

Mer-Crazy
10-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Side note, I was browsing his website to answer some questions for someone else and noticed this little gem sitting on his home page. I think he's a very confused man.

MermaidBrandie
10-17-2015, 08:35 PM
I brought up the customer service bit to him on Facebook after he post the exolination video. He seems sincere and I really hope he is.

AniaR
10-17-2015, 09:22 PM
Unsurpassable ???

Mermaid Mystery
10-17-2015, 09:24 PM
oh my god that's disgusting. makes me wanna throw out my tail. why does he think that's okay? good lord

Mermaid Wesley
10-17-2015, 11:02 PM

Aaaand fuck that guy.

Merenneito Nerissa
10-18-2015, 07:57 AM
Latest visitor posts on Mertailor's facebook page are also considering this topic very strongly

Merman Arion
10-18-2015, 08:22 AM
Well, that outcome was to be expected. I feel bad for Matty.
Once you have been Eric's pawn, people and fans will always see you as the bad guys no matter what just because Eric said so.

AniaR
10-18-2015, 10:10 AM
Barb and Ashley have both been long time mertailor supporters. Honestly though, in real life... Who cares??? Barb called me a liar with an ego when I asked her to comment in a thread about safety lol. And I don't think your average Mer knows who Ashley is.

Non mers looking to become mers and considering buying tails? Pretty large chance they don't know either of these women.

I watched Eric crawl back up from the total bottom. His fb page had been deleted, his email hacked, ( all by a Mer he pissed off), and people were posting bad reviews everywhere. Even with all that, dude was still able to keep selling crappy tails and keep having an attitude.

Matty making a better product and having a better attitude? I don't see these women's words actually doing a darn thing to cause him issues beyond being annoyed.

Eric always says oh I don't do drama! But then makes the most dramatic posts and rallies the troops. I can't remember the last time I even addressed drama on my business page lol. I think it was like 6 years ago.

Is anyone else getting incredibly bored of this? Eric used to go on and on about wanting his own reality TV show. I feel like that's all this really is.

If he was confident in his own product, competition wouldn't mean a thing.

AniaR
10-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Like seriously think about it. When it comes to talking about tail makers, with everyone else we just talk designs and wait times lol. With Eric it is the days of our lives soap opera!

Merman Arion
10-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Like seriously think about it. When it comes to talking about tail makers, with everyone else we just talk designs and wait times lol. With Eric it is the days of our lives soap opera!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/2d63a69ff971f0f6dd40100a0226d787/tumblr_inline_n52aaeL9Fe1rncncx.gif

Starfrit
10-18-2015, 11:00 AM
Barb and Ashley have both been long time mertailor supporters. Honestly though, in real life... Who cares??? Barb called me a liar with an ego when I asked her to comment in a thread about safety lol. And I don't think your average Mer knows who Ashley is.

Non mers looking to become mers and considering buying tails? Pretty large chance they don't know either of these women.

I watched Eric crawl back up from the total bottom. His fb page had been deleted, his email hacked, ( all by a Mer he pissed off), and people were posting bad reviews everywhere. Even with all that, dude was still able to keep selling crappy tails and keep having an attitude.

Matty making a better product and having a better attitude? I don't see these women's words actually doing a darn thing to cause him issues beyond being annoyed.

Eric always says oh I don't do drama! But then makes the most dramatic posts and rallies the troops. I can't remember the last time I even addressed drama on my business page lol. I think it was like 6 years ago.

Is anyone else getting incredibly bored of this? Eric used to go on and on about wanting his own reality TV show. I feel like that's all this really is.

If he was confident in his own product, competition wouldn't mean a thing.

I've been thinking about this for a few days, and it dawned on me.

Eric is doing all of this now purely out of fear.

The post going on about what a nice guy he is, rallying his fans against Matt— He knows that Matt is a very real threat to his business, he knows that Matt's countless times better with quality control and customer service, and on top of that, he knows Matt's not going to keep quiet about his skeevy practices. Matt is fully capable of doing serious damage to his business, and he knows that.

He's panicking, hardcore, and he's doing a really bad job of hiding it.

Nobody who knows what they're doing, and are confident enough in their own skills, waste that much time on the internet trying to bring others down while posting garbage, nonsense rambling messes about "I just realized what an amazing, generous guy I am." That shit's the hallmark of someone who's having trouble convincing themselves and thus need validation from yes-men who are either too stupid or too intimidated to give him the criticism he needs. At best it's a shaky, desperate attempt at damage control; at worst, it's pure delusion.

How he's handling this situation says a lot about him, and none of it is good. I wish he'd realize that and move past it— or, better yet, use it to improve himself and his business.

AniaR
10-18-2015, 11:40 AM
this is how he handles everything. lol

shimmygoddess
10-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Tieri, those were exactly my thoughts!! Totally agree with you on that. It is always those that feel threatened that attack hard!

PearlieMae
10-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Eric does exhaust me. Can't keep up with all the bullshit with that one. He IS scared, If his work was any good, he wouldn't feel so threatened. Never heard of Ashley and Barb...well, my opinion of her is turning out to be pretty accurate, so...blocked.

Business competition is just that...competition. You just have to strive to be better than your competition, and be confident that the better product will be successful.

For a time, I thought how important it was to warn would-be mers about his shoddy workmanship, but if would-be mers can't be bothered to do their research, or if they choose to buy right into his hype, well, caveat emptor - let the buyer beware. If enough people get burned, then eventually reviews will reflect that. He'll either get better or go out of business. Of his legion of fans, I'll wager 99.9999% of them will never buy a tail of any kind.

So, you know what? Not my circus, not my monkeys. If he wants to be an attention whore and get a reality show, well, it seems like reality show 'stars' get exactly what they deserve. How embarrassing.

Matt seems to be willing to do the work to be a premier tailmaker. And until a tail he makes gets out in the wild (like, dare I say, one of mine), it all speculation until one is actually in a client's hands. I wish him all the best.

I've said my piece and that's all I have to say about that.

Talia
10-18-2015, 03:32 PM
It is not a secret here that I do not appreciate Eric's ways of doing business as the Mertailor. But after seeing this, he will NEVER gain my respect.

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/2414/1098/original.gif

What he said :clap:.

Mermaid Wesley
10-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Honestly I'm pretty done with all this too. lol I'll probably still get pissed when mertailor does dumb shit in the future but like....

Bro. Get out of my life. Get out of my face.
I don't follow mertailors pages for a reason, and this is the reason. He's a grown up acting like a ten year old who expects the respect of a renaissance artist.

Frankly I'm sick of gay men who think that since they're oppressed in one area they have an excuse to be a complete and utter ass in all other areas. And I'm 80% sure that's what Eric is. So I'm gonna do my best to just... Ignore all his shit from now on. Ugh.

/rant

AniaR
10-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Just posting this last one because I think it really explains his him vs the world mentality. Basically, you're either with him or against him there is no gray.

Anyway, I think the more active community are pretty much over him lol. Anything he does good or bad just doesnt create the same ripple effect it used to. There's so many top notch tail makers now, he's no longer the big fish in the little pond!

It's so nice we've come so far that we have choices. When I started out he was basically it. I think a lot of the drama came from people trying to force him to do better because he was all we had. And everyone had big dreams.

I hope merrowfins can do well, but def need to step away from their designs they did for Eric. Regardless of who the owner is. there's now a chance to do something innovating and new and prove the skills and make some money. Don't be in Eric's shadow, step away and do their own thing.

AniaR
10-18-2015, 09:07 PM
just wanted to say, true friends hold you accountable and let you know when you're being an ass. It's only through true friends Ive been able to grow and be a better person and work on my own issues. There's a lot to be said for taking your own medicine. ;)

Imogen Finnly
10-18-2015, 09:48 PM
I wonder if merrowfins is going to post any designs or anything soon?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Keiris
10-18-2015, 10:35 PM
just wanted to say, true friends hold you accountable and let you know when you're being an ass. It's only through true friends Ive been able to grow and be a better person and work on my own issues. There's a lot to be said for taking your own medicine. ;)

Raina, I have to say you have grown immensely in the years that I have read your posts on here. It takes a very strong person to focus inward, take stock and try to make changes for the better. You have really become more thoughtful about what you express and the choices that you make to post and I think it has really been evident.

Now, when are you going to shoot that coffee table book?

The Harlem Mermaid
10-18-2015, 11:41 PM
I read on his page as well as chatted with him, he's in the process of making basic tail,said he would post photo's as soon as he finishes and painting another one he posted on his page im looking forward to seeing them

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Mystery
10-19-2015, 01:28 AM
I've been asking a few questions lately and Matt is awesome with communication! Something that Eric is definitely lacking.

Merenneito Nerissa
10-19-2015, 04:01 AM
Mermaidofthelabyrinth, totally agree :)

RastaMer
10-19-2015, 06:24 AM
Matt seems to be willing to do the work to be a premier tailmaker. And until a tail he makes gets out in the wild (like, dare I say, one of mine), it all speculation until one is actually in a client's hands. I wish him all the best.

I think this is an excellent point PearlieMae. We are yet to see any of Matt's tails made without the support of Eric. Right now it is all he said she said on the quality of his previous work.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Matt is a little bit feeding off of the energy from the (for lack of a better term) anti-mertailor crowd. I've noticed a lot of people thinking very highly of Merrowfins when they are yet to release a finished product. It just seems like to people who have been burned before are now all for Merrowfins because they feel Matt has also been burned, which may or may not be true. Obviously, this is all just speculation and I only hope to see good things come of this new tail business!

AniaR
10-19-2015, 06:49 AM
True, but the same has happened for any tail maker who tries to directly challenge Eric. I know that was for me, and several other tail makers too. I think the community would be surprised just how many got their start due to crap with Eric.

Merman Arion
10-19-2015, 07:07 AM
I think the community would be surprised just how many got their start due to crap with Eric.

You know what they say. Karma is a bitch. I bet the situation would have been a whole lot different if Eric played nice from the very beginning, back when Raven and him worked together.

Merenneito Nerissa
10-19-2015, 07:41 AM
I think situation is like this also cause there's so many mers who desperately need to have their Mertailor tails fixed, so that's why people also think so highly of Merrowfins, it seems like a solution they've been seeking. But it is absolutely true that only time will tell.

RastaMer
10-19-2015, 09:04 AM
Yes, those are good points. It's funny how Eric is indirectly funding his own competition. I hope it will only push him to create better products and provide better customer service.

Sherielle
10-19-2015, 11:10 AM
I agree, they see what everyone has been wanting (a mertailor tail) and with the customer service that the mertailor has been lacking.
I am truly interested to see what Eric has for new tails now, since his main sculptor is now his competition.

MermaidBrandie
10-19-2015, 12:20 PM
You know what they say. Karma is a bitch. I bet the situation would have been a whole lot different if Eric played nice from the very beginning, back when Raven and him worked together.
Raven and Eric worked together?! I've been following raven since college (2006) and never knew that!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

RastaMer
10-19-2015, 12:39 PM
What do you guys think about Matt's choice of business partners? I don't mean to talk bad about anyone but I don't think anyone would disagree if I said we have found Eden Sirene wrapped up in some mer-drama a number of times. Given her past behavior, is anyone else skeptical of her involvement with Merrowfins? Does anyone know what she does for the company?

AniaR
10-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Raven and Eric worked together?! I've been following raven since college (2006) and never knew that!!

No they didn't officially work together. She was his friend and client.

AniaR
10-19-2015, 12:47 PM
What do you guys think about Matt's choice of business partners? I don't mean to talk bad about anyone but I don't think anyone would disagree if I said we have found Eden Sirene wrapped up in some mer-drama a number of times. Given her past behavior, is anyone else skeptical of her involvement with Merrowfins? Does anyone know what she does for the company?
I was told she's actually a very talented sculptor.

RastaMer
10-19-2015, 12:51 PM
Interesting, thank you for sharing!

Merman Arion
10-19-2015, 12:52 PM
No they didn't officially work together. She was his friend and client.

My bad. I read Raven's story from the archives in the mertailor section two years ago. I should have checked to make sure.

PearlieMae
10-19-2015, 01:15 PM

I think Matt's choice of business partners is none of my business.

RastaMer
10-19-2015, 01:25 PM
PearlieMae, I would normally say it is none of mine either. However, I am very interested in purchasing a tail from Merrowfins and would like to know who exactly I'm getting involved with before I trust them with large amounts of money. Afterall, the mermaid tail business does not seem to be very regulated and it seems like there has to be a lot of trust between the tailmaker and the customer. Especially when going with a newer company.

Winged Mermaid
10-20-2015, 03:58 AM

Wow. I just 100% lost any shred of remaining respect I had for him. What an abominable, heinous, monstrous thing to say.

Eric does exhaust me. Can't keep up with all the bullshit with that one. He IS scared, If his work was any good, he wouldn't feel so threatened. Never heard of Ashley and Barb...well, my opinion of her is turning out to be pretty accurate, so...blocked.

Business competition is just that...competition. You just have to strive to be better than your competition, and be confident that the better product will be successful.

For a time, I thought how important it was to warn would-be mers about his shoddy workmanship, but if would-be mers can't be bothered to do their research, or if they choose to buy right into his hype, well, caveat emptor - let the buyer beware. If enough people get burned, then eventually reviews will reflect that. He'll either get better or go out of business. Of his legion of fans, I'll wager 99.9999% of them will never buy a tail of any kind.

So, you know what? Not my circus, not my monkeys. If he wants to be an attention whore and get a reality show, well, it seems like reality show 'stars' get exactly what they deserve. How embarrassing.

Just gonna leave this one here:

PhaylennMurúch
10-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Is it just me reading into things but in Barb's post did she allude to Matty being responsible for the damage to Erics lawn/koi?

Talia
10-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Yes, she does that. It is not the first time I have seen it mentioned. A commenter on Matt's Youtube video said the same thing.

ETA: the comment is no longer there. But I remember clearly it was the first comment posted. I guess it got deleted?

Starfrit
10-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Is it just me reading into things but in Barb's post did she allude to Matty being responsible for the damage to Erics lawn/koi?

Definitely not just you. I was waiting for Eric's whiteknights to start blaming him for that.

Merenneito Nerissa
10-22-2015, 02:36 PM
I have also been wondering what really happened there, with the koi pond, I mean... I don't wan't to sound awful or blame anyone cause I don't have a slightest clue what really happened, but is it true that he was somehow involved? Of course it's none of my business, but it just occasionally comes to my mind and I couldn't think nicely of anyone who hurts animals. But he really doesn't seem that kind of a guy in any ways who would do something like that.

Merman Arion
10-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Typical...

When a relationship ends, it's always the ex that becomes the prime suspect when something bad happens.

In this case, it's way too easy to think it's Matt's fault. Nobody thinks it could have been Eric himself?

ANYBODY can snap during a breakup.

Merenneito Nerissa
10-22-2015, 03:12 PM
Actually it was in my mind that it'd more likely had been him himself than Matt, but that is just assumptions which I have formed in my head of what I've read trough media of the things which are happening on the other side of the globe, so not quite reliable... :P

Mermaid Mystery
10-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Whoever it was is terrible. Those poor fish. They didn't deserve to be brought into anything.

AniaR
10-22-2015, 07:45 PM
I think I read somewhere (sorry, I don't have a link this is hearsay so take it as a grain of salt) that Eric destroyed all of Matty's sculpting tools. So who knows

SeaGlass Siren
10-22-2015, 07:57 PM
This entire affair is like a reality tv show but for mers . Who needs tlc when you can go onto Eric's page.

Imogen Finnly
10-23-2015, 10:15 PM
It'll be called "keeping up with the ducharme"
Hahaha

saborigakusei
10-23-2015, 10:21 PM
It'll be called "keeping up with the ducharme"
Hahaha

*polite coughs* keeping up with the DOUCHEarme.

SeaGlass Siren
10-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Lol!!!!!!

PhaylennMurúch
10-23-2015, 10:56 PM
*polite coughs* keeping up with the DOUCHEarme.

Talia
10-24-2015, 11:00 AM
:lol:

Not as funny, but "Ducharme" means "having a shower" in Spanish.

Mermaid Mystery
10-24-2015, 11:06 AM
does it also translate to "showered in douchebag"?

Merman Arion
10-24-2015, 12:26 PM
:lol:

Not as funny, but "Ducharme" means "having a shower" in Spanish.

It´s worse in French... It means someone who is charming. Which in Eric's case, it's laughable :doh: :doh: :doh:

Oh well. *shrug*

Talia
10-24-2015, 02:22 PM
:lol ^:

does it also translate to "showered in douchebag"?

No, not really :)

We don't even have a word for "douchebag", as in the object you use for intimate cleaning (and if we do, I don't know what is it). For the other use (calling someone a douchebag), we use "gilipollas".

PhaylennMurúch
10-25-2015, 11:58 PM
all fun and snark aside (who am I kidding, snark runs through my veins like giant radioactive rubber pants) I am super excited about the barnacles sculpt that Matty posted about a while ago, I'd love to see them in patterns like the mer who has them was cultivating them in a form of aquatic body modification art

Sherielle
10-27-2015, 09:57 AM
all fun and snark aside (who am I kidding, snark runs through my veins like giant radioactive rubber pants) I am super excited about the barnacles sculpt that Matty posted about a while ago, I'd love to see them in patterns like the mer who has them was cultivating them in a form of aquatic body modification artI am and I am not. Trypophobia, yo. Barnacles freak me out but that idea is hella interesting.

SeaGlass Siren
10-27-2015, 10:10 AM
I've seen it. Gave me shivers. But the sculpt is hella amazbg

Merenneito Nerissa
10-27-2015, 10:45 AM
I've seen it too, it was equally super hideous and amazingly cool :D

MermaidRaegan
11-10-2015, 04:48 PM
I haven't been active in the mer-community for a year or so, and I am not at all surprised to find that the mertailer is still stirring up drama wherever he goes. Hopefully Matt will be able to distance himself from all of that over time and establish his own reputation. As for Merrowfins.... well, only time will tell, but I hope he's able to establish himself and craft some beautiful tails.

Mermaid Mystery
11-10-2015, 04:56 PM
Merrowfins is relocating to California! Finally I can have a tailmaker nearby!

Mer-Crazy
11-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Aren't Merbellas mertailor and mernation in California? I don't live there so I guess it's a big state? So maybe he's just moving close to you than the others?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

PhaylennMurúch
11-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Aren't Merbellas mertailor and mernation in California? I don't live there so I guess it's a big state? So maybe he's just moving close to you than the others?

Nope, I'm pretty sure all three of those tailmakers are in Florida, I think Merbellas and Mernation are both in Tampa.

AniaR
11-10-2015, 07:15 PM
yup their in florida.

in california as far as I know it's just thom shouse and robert short.

Mer-Crazy
11-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Ohhhh haha. Whops. Getting my American states confused there. Sorry

Mermaid Momo
11-10-2015, 10:17 PM
Yeah Florida is tailmaker central (I guess because the weather is so good for curing?)

Mermaid Wesley
11-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Funny enough, it's crap weather for silicone. I think it's just the ocean and the culture really.

Merenneito Nerissa
11-11-2015, 06:15 AM
I loooove the sculpting of the pirate fluke, my favorite one of all flukes <3 I can't wait to see it in a tail and in action :)

Merman Arion
11-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Matthew just changed the name of the page to "FULLY FUNCTIONAL mermaid tails", throwing shade at Mertailor.

https://45.media.tumblr.com/12c9f8e5cb505099aec5ae8950cb0282/tumblr_ms1lefscGy1soaljvo1_500.gif

AniaR
11-29-2015, 03:59 PM
hahahah well I havent seen him make a whole tail yet! I am excited to see what comes, but I hope he gets out from under mertailor's shadow.

Imogen Finnly
12-05-2015, 05:52 PM
Low key, he has been doing that ALOT haha but I think it's sort of justified

Merenneito Nerissa
12-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Well, there's a pic of a complete tail now. It's silicone/neoprene(neoprin? Don't know what he uses) tail:

https://www.facebook.com/MerrowFins/photos/a.1699310503634095.1073741829.1674003116164834/1717694615129017/?type=3&theater

AniaR
12-08-2015, 02:36 PM
isnt that a retrofitted mertailor? I thought Tatiana started out with a broken mertailor and matty was retrofitting it. (I could be wrong, just asking!)

Mermaid Mystery
12-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Nope! Matt made it himself

Mermaid Wesley
12-08-2015, 04:30 PM
I like those fins a lot,

Kelby The Mermaid
12-13-2015, 06:30 PM
congratulations Eden and Matty I really hope the best for your careers and art! <3

VanoraSirene
12-18-2015, 11:31 AM
I strongly feel that Matt has been doing so much to help clients that have been screwed over by Eric and also support new clients. I've met Matt and Jenna and they took my boyfriend and I to Ginnie Springs and they watched me use my tail. Matt figured out the best route for me to take and found a very sweet buyer, took in the size and repainted it for free. Now my Mertailor tail that had been a disaster for me is someone else's dream. Matt and Jenna and I are planning to go spend a week in Key Largo for my birthday so they can personally see the new tail Matt is creating for me in person. The tail is gorgeous and everything I've ever wanted. Matt and I spent until like 2 am on Skype perfecting it. He even set up a payment system for me because he knew I didn't have so much money after getting the Mertailor tail. Also Matt hasn't posted maybe pictures of his upcoming creations because he's been busy. He did not take anything from Eric, not a single mold. So basically he's sculpting everything from scratch and custom making it for the customers liking. He's been texting me photos of my fluke sculpt and the progress photos since he bought the plywood to sculpt on. He just doesn't wanna post things until they are almost finished because he doesn't want people stealing the design which I can understand being a new tail maker and still being in the shadow of Eric and even somehow ending up looking like the bad guy. He just needs time to make his break through. He's refusing to end up like Eric and just half ass tails for money so he's putting in a lot of time into his sculpts and his customers if that means phone calls, messages, Skype, or even meeting up. In my opinion Matt and Jenna are both very welcoming, open minded, sweet, sincere, and honestly just over all really funny and inviting people who I'm glad I became friends with. They've stuck with me through a lot and pulled me out of a hole when I was crying and miserable and kicked my butt into the right direction and have brought so much positivity into my life.

AniaR
12-18-2015, 07:54 PM
so happy youre having such a wonderful experience after all the crap you had to deal with

Winged Mermaid
12-18-2015, 08:02 PM
So glad things are going so well for you!
I emailed them months ago about getting information so I could them up on the tailmakers list and in the review section, but I never heard back from them.

Does anyone know their price range? As in the lowest cost (for a basic tail) and the higher cost (for all the bells and whistles like extra fins ect)? That information would be really helpful so I could list them.

Merman Arion
12-18-2015, 08:29 PM
So glad things are going so well for you!
I emailed them months ago about getting information so I could them up on the tailmakers list and in the review section, but I never heard back from them.

Does anyone know their price range? As in the lowest cost (for a basic tail) and the higher cost (for all the bells and whistles like extra fins ect)? That information would be really helpful so I could list them.

I talk sometimes with Matt on Facebook. I could ask him if you would like.

SeaGlass Siren
12-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Aw! I'm so happy and proud for Matt for being the better fish in the pond as opposed to the bigger fish.

VanoraSirene
01-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Loving this new scale pattern Matt did! Cant wait to have it on my tail! What do you guys think?

Theobromine
01-08-2016, 06:10 PM
I'm really happy for you and glad you're excited for your new tail, Vanora!

If you want my completely honest opinion on these scales, though....I'm not impressed. Objectively speaking, they're not made very well, and they look like they're only half-finished. You can tell the clay was never smoothed out after the grooves were carved in, which results in a very bumpy casting. I find the appearance rather jarring. Looking at the pattern of grooves, it looks to me as if a fork (or fork-like wire sculpting tool) was dragged through the clay, resulting not only in clay crumbs but also some of the lines crossing each other in unnatural ways. The scales would have benefited from a little smoothing action, either just with fingers or with a paintbrush and solvent or water (depending on the clay that was used). Personally, however (and I've experimented with this myself) I wouldn't have used a fork-like tool in the first place, as it results in parallel lines where there shouldn't be parallel lines. Anyway...that's just my opinion.

VanoraSirene
01-08-2016, 06:23 PM
You're entitled to your opinion. Which is totally fine. I personally love them. He sent me this photo of my scale body this morning and I think they look wonderful. Just what I wanted. :)

EdenSirene
01-08-2016, 06:45 PM
I second that Val they are going to make a Fintastic tail .. Absolutely beautiful don't let one mermaids view ruin how you feel.. I can't wait to see you in that gorgeous tail! You will be one Epic Mermaid.. Cause you already are!!

Luna Dreamtide
01-08-2016, 07:02 PM
I'm really happy for you and glad you're excited for your new tail, Vanora!

If you want my completely honest opinion on these scales, though....I'm not impressed. Objectively speaking, they're not made very well, and they look like they're only half-finished. You can tell the clay was never smoothed out after the grooves were carved in, which results in a very bumpy casting. I find the appearance rather jarring. Looking at the pattern of grooves, it looks to me as if a fork (or fork-like wire sculpting tool) was dragged through the clay, resulting not only in clay crumbs but also some of the lines crossing each other in unnatural ways. The scales would have benefited from a little smoothing action, either just with fingers or with a paintbrush and solvent or water (depending on the clay that was used). Personally, however (and I've experimented with this myself) I wouldn't have used a fork-like tool in the first place, as it results in parallel lines where there shouldn't be parallel lines. Anyway...that's just my opinion.
I have to say I agree with Theobromine. It does look a bit messy. Honestly, I think it look kind of like a pine cone...

PearlieMae
01-08-2016, 08:00 PM
Theobromine prefaced her remark with "my honest opinion", so I don't think she's trying to "ruin" anything.

We all like different things, and stating a preference is something all of us are entitled to. Vanora likes them and says it's just what she wants, and she also says she is fine with Theobromine's opinion, Eden.

Mermaid Mystery
01-08-2016, 09:30 PM
I think they're pretty, but after taking what Theobromine said into account I can totally see it. It's a step up from the scales on one of the tails I received and my terrible top, though. There's definitely room for improvement, but so far things are looking fairly good!

Merenneito Nerissa
01-29-2016, 04:26 AM
Have you seen the latest two sculpts? I think that those are very nice and they are really looking like something made by a person who knows how to sculpt. I have to agree with earlier messages that those earlier scale sculpts and casts look like they've been rushed. But those current pics of fins and a dorsal (at least I think they are those.. :D ) are very beautiful and well made.

LouLouBelle
01-29-2016, 05:36 AM
Loving this new scale pattern Matt did! Cant wait to have it on my tail! What do you guys think?

At a first glance I think they look good, although having a closer look I can see what others are saying about the 'rushed' look.

I love the general shape and design. I think the bumps give it a sort of rugged, natural look [emoji6] The parallel lines... not so much... but you won't see that unless you're inspecting the tail up close. I'm looking forward to seeing what the finished tail looks like. What matters most is that you're happy with it [emoji4]

SeaGlass Siren
01-29-2016, 08:09 AM
I think he was in the process of making a bra too with this technique

PearlieMae
01-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I saw his 'furry scaled' top on fb yesterday. WTF?

SeaGlass Siren
01-29-2016, 10:58 AM
i personally don't mind it too much. :P

PearlieMae
01-29-2016, 11:03 AM
I'm going to wait to see it finished before offering any real commentary. I might be totally blown away.

Or, as my kid would say "Could be a tooth, could be a diamond."

VanoraSirene
02-01-2016, 07:27 PM
The dorsal and hips fins are mine and I think they are absolutely gorgeous! They're better than I even imagined!

VanoraSirene
02-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Progress and sneak peeks of my tail from Matt! My hip fins, dorsal, and part of my fluke.
IM LOVING IT SO MUCH!

MermaidBrandie
02-02-2016, 08:58 PM
THAT LOOKS AMAZING HOLY SHIT

PearlieMae
02-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Whoa! That's pretty freakin' amazing! :rollover:

VanoraSirene
02-02-2016, 09:16 PM
It's so amazing! I just Skyped with Matt to figure out some detail on my fluke and it's coming along so lovely. I can't get over the size. It's probably up to like my boobs and I'm 5'6. It's enormous!!! Biggest on the market. I'm amazed that it's that big and still has so much detail in it. Matt is a really talented artist!

Mermaid Jaffa
02-02-2016, 09:33 PM
OOo! Gorgeous fins and things! I'm waiting for the MerrowFins Mermaid Monofin! Matt did say he was working on it, and I want to see it NOW!!!:lol:

VanoraSirene
02-02-2016, 09:33 PM
FLLUUUKKKKEEEEE!!!!!!

Mermaid Jaffa
02-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Maple leaf? I love it!

VanoraSirene
02-02-2016, 09:49 PM
No. It's gonna look really different cause once it's poured it's gonna get some tattered edges and stuff. It's gonna look amazing! Although it does look like a maple leaf right now haha! You're right!

VanoraSirene
02-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Unfortunately I don't know much about the normal Monofin. The Monofin for my tail is custom because the fluke is so big it can't support the normal sized one. 😔

Mermaid Jaffa
02-04-2016, 01:15 AM
Unfortunately I don't know much about the normal Monofin. The Monofin for my tail is custom because the fluke is so big it can't support the normal sized one. 

Yep! He's working on monofins that one can use without the silicone tail on. I'm so excited and happy for that! I liked the Mertailor ones but it is too big and wide. Hopefuliy Matt can make better ones where the monofin and fin tips move with the water movement. Instead of being static or fin tips only going up and down.

Mermaid Julianne
02-04-2016, 03:06 AM
That sculpt is sick! Especially all the ridges, it looks really freaking cool.

LouLouBelle
02-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Those sculpts look amazing. I can't wait to see the whole finished tail!

Mermaid Alea
02-05-2016, 12:36 AM
This is so beautiful! I am soooo glad you are getting such a beautiful tail! :hug:

VanoraSirene
02-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Thank you! This tail is so gorgeous! I'm so excited to see it all completed!

Merenneito Nerissa
02-06-2016, 05:35 AM
Have you gotten any time frame when it could be ready? :)

VanoraSirene
02-06-2016, 09:01 AM
I want to pick it up in April. So some time by then. 😊

Mermaid Julianne
02-06-2016, 11:44 AM
When did you first order, if you dont mind me asking?

VanoraSirene
02-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Got measured for it in October.

Mermaid Julianne
02-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Whats that, like 6 months? Thats awesome!

UtahMermaidPearl
02-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Wait how is mertailor tails not fully functional?

MermaidPearl

Merenneito Nerissa
02-07-2016, 02:55 PM
There has been lots of issues with his tails.

VanoraSirene
02-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Mertailor made my tail 6 inches too short for my body. And used the wrong Monofin in my fluke. Mertailor in my opinion does very unprofessional work and is a very unprofessional person.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-12-2016, 05:03 PM
I wonder who that fabric silicone tail is going to?
https://www.facebook.com/MerrowFins/photos/pb.1674003116164834.-2207520000.1455314565./1740240592874419/?type=3&theater

Merenneito Nerissa
02-13-2016, 02:57 PM
Am I seeing things or is there similar holes in that fluke as Mertailor has in his basic silicone tails' monos..?

That tail seems to be for Mermaid D'Lilah, she has commented under the pic :)

Merman Arion
02-13-2016, 03:14 PM
Am I seeing things or is there similar holes in that fluke as Mertailor has in his basic silicone tails' monos..?

You're not the only one to see them. I could ask Matty.

Mermaid Lorelei
02-13-2016, 06:55 PM
What is scuba knit fabric? He replied to someone that that's the fabric he used for a base.

Luna Dreamtide
02-13-2016, 07:55 PM
What is scuba knit fabric? He replied to someone that that's the fabric he used for a base.
It's a thick knit fabric. It feels a little like spandex but it's thicker and stronger.

Mermaid Momo
02-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Scuba knit is fashion talk for Neoprene. Except this neoprene is different from say what you can get from foam order. It's more flexible and a thick weave and double layered

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Jaffa
02-14-2016, 02:18 AM
That's me, he replied to. Good to know its not that neoprin that everyone despises.

Mermaid Mystery
02-14-2016, 02:20 AM
He told me it's similar to thermal fabric, I'm guessing it's a bit thicker though.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-14-2016, 02:22 AM

I asked what monofin was inside and Matt replied, "They're made of silicone with silicone foot pockets." I'm guessing they are like Mertailor's mermaid flipper except with that range of tail, the fin can't be removed. Cos that's what it sounds like to me.

Merenneito Nerissa
02-15-2016, 07:12 AM
That sounds pretty weird, I thought they were made out of polycarbonate. Of course I could have understood smthn wrong. It just sounds odd that you'd have a silicone flipper inside a silicone-fabric-hybrid, wouldn't it increase the value of the tail like a lot? Cause I thought they were aimed to be cheaper option.

Merenneito Nerissa
02-15-2016, 07:13 AM
Oh and btw, someone is selling a Mertailor tail again:

https://www.facebook.com/MerrowFins/photos/a.1699310503634095.1073741829.1674003116164834/1741690726062739/?type=3

VanoraSirene
02-15-2016, 12:40 PM
The Monofin in his tails is not silicone. It's a sort of plastic but it doesn't break or puncture through the silicone. It has resistance to bending. I personally watched him pick up his Monofin and roll it into a tube and it just popped right back into shape.

VanoraSirene
02-16-2016, 07:10 PM
35692 I love this scale body Matt did! I think the scales look awesome!

Merenneito Nerissa
02-25-2016, 04:40 AM
Have you seen the new tail? I really really like this, it's beautiful and I think it's completely silicone, it's not that different from the earlier pirate design, really hoping nothing bad comes from outside with this one..:/

https://www.facebook.com/MerrowFins/photos/a.1699310503634095.1073741829.1674003116164834/1745280065703805/?type=3&theater

VanoraSirene
02-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Guys! Matty is making my tail GLOW IN THE DARK!

Mermaid Jaffa
02-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Guys! Matty is making my tail GLOW IN THE DARK!

OOOOOooo!!! What color(s) of glow in the dark?

VanoraSirene
02-25-2016, 11:32 PM
Blue!!!

Merman Arion
02-26-2016, 05:05 AM
Happy mermaid wearing her new tail from Merrowfins :)

She's very pretty!

Merman Arion
02-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Another mermaid wearing a tail from Merrowfins :)

VanoraSirene
02-26-2016, 12:38 PM
Matty just finished pouring my body!!! My fluke is gonna be poured out of the same glow in the dark! And we got new fins and dorsal which I cant disclose yet. IM SO EXCITED!!

Merman Arion
02-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Another happy mermaid. They just keep coming :)

Mermaid Momo
02-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Another happy mermaid. They just keep coming :)

Are his flukes not textured?

Mermaid Wesley
02-26-2016, 05:52 PM
I was wondering the same. Maybe that's a basic option?

Mermaid Mystery
02-26-2016, 05:59 PM
the $600 ones aren't textured and only have one fluke shape. personally, I don't like it but it's awesome to see all these lovely mers in their new tails!

Mermaid Wesley
02-26-2016, 06:04 PM
Cool

UtahMermaidPearl
02-26-2016, 06:27 PM
I like that they have a cheaper option, the non- textured. It's nice that their prices are so good but with the same good quality as other tail makers

Mermaid Jaffa
02-26-2016, 07:36 PM
I love the basic tails he's been making! Just wish there are videos of it in action, so I can see how the fluke moves.

Mermaid Coralia
02-27-2016, 11:54 AM
I don't like the flukes at all on these new tails, but these scales are awesome and I'm so happy that he was able to break apart and start his own business and people seem to be loving his tails. I'm glad there's a "cheaper" good quality tail out there.

VanoraSirene
02-27-2016, 08:42 PM
The basic option does actually have a textured fluke option. The customers did not ask for it. But it is available to those that would prefer it.

Mermaid Coralia
02-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Ah. I thought I saw on his facebook page that that 600 dollar tail only has one fluke option.

Maybe it's extra to add a textured fluke?

Either way I'm excited to see what he has in store :)

UtahMermaidPearl
02-28-2016, 10:12 PM
You can get it textured or non textured, no extra cost

Mermaid Momo
02-29-2016, 02:38 PM
I really don't like the untextured flukes, they look too flat to me. Like they're made of vinyl. I wish he posted a textured fluke for the basic tail so I'd have something to compare it to.

Also are those the only scales he offers? Or is he working on more? I'm not a fan of his current scales they look really rushed and not streamline.

VanoraSirene
03-01-2016, 10:26 AM
The u textured flukes are what the customers wanted. Also let me check on the scale situation and get back. Personally I love them!

SeaGlass Siren
03-01-2016, 10:25 PM

Mermaid Alea
03-01-2016, 10:41 PM
*Heavy Breathing*

So tempting. :biting nails:

UtahMermaidPearl
03-02-2016, 01:25 AM
I know how I'm going to be spending my night ^^

Winged Mermaid
03-11-2016, 02:48 AM

I talk sometimes with Matt on Facebook. I could ask him if you would like.

That would be great! Or if anyone else knows the prices (I know the basic ones silicone+fabric ones start at $600 but nothing else) if you could please let me know that would be helpful. I emailed them a few times now, but I never get a response.

Winged Mermaid
03-11-2016, 02:59 AM
Nevermind, I finally found pricing on his instagram looking through comments. You think he would have pricing on his FB about section, or website, or somewhere easily found..

Here's what he said here (https://www.instagram.com/p/-CNAfEzKOK/): Full silicone Mermaid tail: $2,700.00 USD (Fins [$150 per set] and Dorsals [$300 per set] available at additional cost). Partial silicone mermaid tail: $1,700.00 USD (SELECT Fins [$150 per set] and Dorsals [$300 per set] available at additional cost). Basic Fabric Silicone mermaid tail: $600.00 USD (SELECT Fins [$150 per set] and Dorsals [$300 per set] available at additional cost).

Mermaid Jaffa
03-11-2016, 03:33 AM
Nevermind, I finally found pricing on his instagram looking through comments. You think he would have pricing on his FB about section, or website, or somewhere easily found..

Here's what he said here (https://www.instagram.com/p/-CNAfEzKOK/): Full silicone Mermaid tail: $2,700.00 USD (Fins [$150 per set] and Dorsals [$300 per set] available at additional cost). Partial silicone mermaid tail: $1,700.00 USD (SELECT Fins [$150 per set] and Dorsals [$300 per set] available at additional cost). Basic Fabric Silicone mermaid tail: $600.00 USD (SELECT Fins [$150 per set] and Dorsals [$300 per set] available at additional cost).

Really?? When I asked him on fb about cost of adding fins to the basic tail, he said no and referred me to his silicone ones. Hm. Must've changed his mind?

Mermaid Lorelei
03-11-2016, 11:24 AM
So, I was looking at his website briefly the other day and I noticed that one of the pictures that he's claiming as his work includes my stolen fluke design. I remember way back when it first happened that Mertailor claimed to have come up with the design on his own as a tail for his then boyfriend Matty. Now Matty is claiming to have designed and sculpted my original fluke? That doesn't sit well with me. (Quite frankly, the amount of material he is claiming to have done all on his own bothers me, too.)

I went to go grab the picture and his website doesn't seem to exist anymore... He had it up on facebook as well, however.
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12745982_1745699205661891_3124052152171062004_n.jp g?oh=fd165d867af5b9cb3d8738f9d04be9ea&oe=57582B98

If Matty is saying he designed that fluke (the one in the back), then I have some serious issues with him.

For those new members on mernetwork who have no idea what I'm referencing, this is a long standing issue from years back.

VanoraSirene
03-11-2016, 02:07 PM
If Matt physically sculpted that fluke with his own two hands then it automatically belongs to him. He never signed anything handing his work over to Eric or Mertailor. Meaning, all those sculptures belong to him.

Saelyyia
03-11-2016, 02:15 PM
I think you might of misunderstood Vanora, I'm pretty sure Lorelei was saying that the fluke was one she had designed that was produced via stolen design originally when Mat was with Mertailor and that he is not recreating for Merrowfins as his own "original" design. So the problem is not an issue of Mat claiming something Eric sold so much as possibly claiming something that Lorelei actually designed.

Dancing Fish
03-11-2016, 02:18 PM
If Matt physically sculpted that fluke with his own two hands then it automatically belongs to him. He never signed anything handing his work over to Eric or Mertailor. Meaning, all those sculptures belong to him.

In this case though, Lorelei posted her drawing here (on mernetwork) before this fluke was sculpted. I always hesitate to cry "copier!" but in this case it was very clearly based off her drawing, down to the shape and proportions and if I recall correctly, even the number of veins!

VanoraSirene
03-11-2016, 02:23 PM
I wish someone would get the whole story before pointing fingers. Here you go, from Matt himself.

PearlieMae
03-11-2016, 03:19 PM
So:

Lorelie designed/drew the fluke and posted it on Mernetwork.

Eric printed it out from Mernetwork and gave it to Matt to sculpt. Eric claimed credit.

Matt sculpted it.

---

What's going on at this point? Matt is making it available as a Merrowfin fluke? Eric is claiming it (design and/or sculpt) belongs to Mertailor? No one is giving credit to Lorelie for designing it?

Mermaid Lunette
03-11-2016, 03:35 PM
I wish someone would get the whole story before pointing fingers. Here you go, from Matt himself.

this...kinda just proves that he knows this design was stolen by eric from someone and he is using it anyway? this doesn't really redeem or prove anything good for matt...this screen shot just proves that he now KNOWS that is a stolen design and yet he is going to offer it to his clients anyway? (at least that is what I understand so far? am I understanding this correctly?)

like, that is the 'whole story' people were already concerned about a few posts ago isn't it?

if he is not going to use the fluke and he is just showing it as an example of his sculpt work or something? or if he gets permission from Lorelei? then I could see that being ok...but if not...?

VanoraSirene
03-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Lorelei designed it.
Eric stole it.
Gave it to Matt to sculpt.
Matt sculpted it.
Later found out it was stolen.
Claimed his sculpture.
Did not claim the design.

I don't know how much clearer I can make this.
If you NEED someone to blame, blame Eric for being shady.

VanoraSirene
03-11-2016, 04:17 PM

Mermaid Lunette
03-11-2016, 04:48 PM
ok so he isn't gonna use the design? then there isn't a problem? i am pretty sure it would have been more clear if someone has just said he was not going to use the design for his tails? i am pretty sure no one was accusing him from stealing the design, just worried he might continue using it, but if he is not gonna use i then i don't think there is a problem.

like, lorelei was only concerned about him using the design as merrowfin, no one thought he originally stole it. no one was attacking, i am pretty sure everyone was just asking and wanting to make sure.

Mermaid Lunette
03-11-2016, 04:57 PM
so, issue resolved then. he is not gonna continue using the design so no worries? pretty sure that's the only thing peeps were worried about right?

Saelyyia
03-11-2016, 05:01 PM
ok so he isn't gonna use the design? then there isn't a problem? i am pretty sure it would have been more clear if someone has just said he was not going to use the design for his tails? i am pretty sure no one was accusing him from stealing the design, just worried he might continue using it, but if he is not gonna use i then i don't think there is a problem.

like, lorelei was only concerned about him using the design as merrowfin, no one thought he originally stole it. no one was attacking, i am pretty sure everyone was just asking and wanting to make sure.

Exactly this. Well said Lunette.

No one was thinking he personally stole this. The concern was since he had the picture up, that he might be offering it to Merrowfin clients. But since you have cleared that up there is no issue. There is no need to get harsh and defensive. She was just concerned that history might repeat itself.

Mermaid Mystery
03-11-2016, 05:02 PM
I feel like this definitely got a bit blown out of proportions. Lorelei's concerns are valid. Glad this was resolved, though.

VanoraSirene
03-11-2016, 05:11 PM
I feel as if though this issue should not have been brought up on a Merrowfins post. I understand your concerns Lorelei, and I could only imagine how frustrating it must be to have your design stolen. My only concern was that it seemed like Matt was getting negative reaction for something that he had no control over, it might have been better to contact him personally and ask if he was offering that design before posting on here. People might have mistaken your post as a shot at Matt for something that was not even true. I apologize if my posts seemed harsh, I was not meaning to come across as rude. But all in all, your design was stolen by Eric of Mertailor. And your design is not being offered by Merrowfins.

Mermaid Mystery
03-11-2016, 05:22 PM
I don't want to sound rude, but I believe the only person who mistook her post as a shot at Matt was you, Vanora.