PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure you've seen the mermaid in this clip... but if not...

merboy78xy
01-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Hey y'all
I had seen an old horror movie awhile ago, and I remembered that it had a mermaid/siren in the opening credits.
The film is pretty gory and fairly poorly acted, so watch at your own risk, but the opening has a very etherial looking mermaid with a lovely white tail (then she turns less than polite). In any case, here's the clip on youtube that I found of the credits to DAGON.
(old H.P. Lovecraft short story about the ancient babylonian/syrian seagod of fertility)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RepL0El3PtI&feature=related

Odette
01-02-2012, 10:27 PM
i havent seen this. thanks for sharing!

lynsea
01-04-2012, 08:14 PM
It starts around 4:19 for those who are interested... and then gets scary right after that so look out.

merboy78xy
01-05-2012, 01:52 AM
yeah... she gets a bit frightening. As I said, it's an old B-movie horror flick. Kind of an interesting idea. The whole short story by H.P. Lovecraft is told in first person perspective of a guy who was shipwrecked and had a "vision" or "dream" or possibly reality of witnessing old sea gods being worshiped by a deep-water community of monstrous sea people.
The movie takes it a MUCH bigger step further and makes it a whole town that has begun to turn into sea-monster type people because they worship an old sea god.
now... all the silliness aside, I think it's an interesting idea... would a deep-sea culture of "people" have the same morals and social setup as we do on land? There could always be the idea that their social structure would be completely "alien" to us, and not something we'd understand (for good or bad). So as horrific as it could be to us, it could be the "norm" for them. They DO live in a world that could be more animal-instinct based. I mean, have you SEEN the things that come up from the depths?? WHY do they all have to be so hideous and WICKED looking?! Those needle sharp teeth over-filling gaping maws... black, slimy, wrinkled... "blind" milky eyes... spindly, spiny, webbed, tentacled... they just all look so... EVIL. YEESH!
But I also love the ideas the the movie "the ABYSS" spun off of: beautiful glassy, transparent, iridescent, luminescent, reflective... like some of the pelagic sea jellies and luminescent fish...
who could say? I think they both have a case!

Nate Walis
01-12-2012, 09:55 AM
The film version of Dagon actually borrows from Lovecraft's original story entitled Dagon and the longer tale know as The Shadow Over Insmouth, from which it takes most of the concept of the degenerate coastal town devoted to the worship of the undersea creature. It also strays into the territory of the follow on tales created by August Derleth in which a descendent of the people of Insmouth marries a fellow descendent who is far closer to the hints of mutation than him, but despite her wierd qualities is drawn to her by their common blood and comes to revel in the idea of following in his ancestors footsteps and worshipping the terrible creatures again.

Mermaid Momo
03-01-2012, 07:27 PM
does this movie have a mermaid in it anywhere else besides the opening credits? because i noticed that the kanji for mermaid (人魚-ningyo)is in the tittle so i thought that there would probably be more mermaids in it.