PDA

View Full Version : Faerieworlds 2015

Mermaid Lorelei
08-16-2015, 07:59 PM
I've searched through the threads, but I couldn't find anything about this year's upcoming Faerieworlds in Oregon. It runs September 4th through the 6th.
I will be attending all three days with Mermaid Cyanea (theobromine) and I'd love to meet up with some other folks!

http://faerieworlds.com/

Elodea the Mermaid
08-16-2015, 08:42 PM
I wanted to go to this so bad and join the lagoon, but it's the weekend right after PAX! Hope you have a blast[emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Lorelei
08-18-2015, 02:24 AM
Aww darn, maybe another year!

Theobromine
08-18-2015, 02:59 AM
I thought it was the same weekend as PAX? Cuz if it's not, I seriously biffed by not buying PAX tickets this year... :-/ I am seriously looking forward to Faerieworlds, though!!!

Elodea the Mermaid
08-19-2015, 03:11 PM
It usually is, because they are both usually fall on Labor Day weekend. But Pax is the last week of August this year, and Labor Day is way in September. I've been spending a lot of time trying to remind myself why I can't just stay up north for two weeks and stop at Faerieworlds on the way home... sooooo tempting!

Side note- Any Seattle mers want to go for a swim in the downtown Hyatt pool or Lake Washington next weekend? I'd love to meet some peeps in person :-)

Theobromine
08-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Yep...I'm a dinglehopper. I didn't realize that until too late :P Oh well...we probably wouldn't have been able to afford to go to both anyway. So yeah, I'll be around...
(Lake Washington is gross, though. I prefer swimming in the Sound, personally).

Elodea the Mermaid
08-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I was gonna splash right in

Winged Mermaid
08-19-2015, 11:55 PM
Lake Washington isn't that bad, better than a lot of lakes around (like Union Lake, it's filled with duck poop, you can literally see it in the water when you're underwater with goggles).
The Sound is always FREEZING cold. Quick quote from google shows that in the Seattle area, it's an average of 56º in August, the reading for today was at 57.4º. The lake can be chilly but not freezing. We (me, her husband, my husband, other mermaids) joke that Cyanea is impervious to cold water :P She doesn't mind it, but if you're a normal person you may not like that freezing water so much haha. So, just FYI.

Merman Dan
08-20-2015, 12:04 AM
The pool at the Hunt Valley Inn for FaerieCon East was closed last year but should be open and inviting to merfolk this year!

Keiris
08-20-2015, 01:29 AM
Lake Washington isn't that bad, better than a lot of lakes around (like Union Lake, it's filled with duck poop, you can literally see it in the water when you're underwater with goggles).
The Sound is always FREEZING cold. Quick quote from google shows that in the Seattle area, it's an average of 56º in August, the reading for today was at 57.4º. The lake can be chilly but not freezing. We (me, her husband, my husband, other mermaids) joke that Cyanea is impervious to cold water :P She doesn't mind it, but if you're a normal person you may not like that freezing water so much haha. So, just FYI.
I have been so spoiled swimming in warm ocean water over the years, I think I would have a stroke!

Theobromine
08-20-2015, 03:21 AM
IT'S REALLY NOT THAT COLD ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY, YOU ARE ALL CRAZY FISHES. MAD, MAD I SAY. :eye twitch:

No but seriously...you guys are all nutter butters! I'd rather swim in cold clear salt water than muddy grubby weedy lake water any day! :cthulhu: My sister and I went for a swim in the Sound yesterday (my sister also does not think it is too cold thank you verra much!!) and we saw schools and schools of adorable little shiner perches and two seals! I mean, I would seriously just stay in there all day every day if I could. In fact...maybe I will :p

Buuut if you squids still aren't convinced, there's this heated outdoor saltwater pool right in the very same beautiful park: http://www.seattle.gov/parks/aquatics/colman.htm

:bed now:

Theobromine
08-20-2015, 03:26 AM
Also, just to be 100% accurate here...the water isn't freezing....cuz if it was, the water would be frozen :p (If you think I'm being overly pedantic here, it's just because I'm so old. Respect your elders! Now pardon me while I renew my AARP membership.)

Merman Arion
08-20-2015, 07:13 AM
Also, just to be 100% accurate here...the water isn't freezing....cuz if it was, the water would be frozen :p (If you think I'm being overly pedantic here, it's just because I'm so old. Respect your elders! Now pardon me while I renew my AARP membership.)

^^ :lol: LOL

Theobromine is my hero.

Mermaid Lorelei
08-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Oh gosh Cyanea, I love you you crazy fishy. I used to swim in water around 50 degrees F back in Arizona (yes, at night in January water does get that cold in the desert) and I didn't mind it, so we'll see how the Sound is when I visit!

Theobromine
08-21-2015, 12:56 AM
Tee hee I love you guys :hug: I will admit the Sound CAN get pretty durn cold, but I'll still swim March through October, depending on the weather, and the weather's been insanely hot this summer and the water temperatures a lot of days have been unusually, surprisingly warm!

Theobromine
08-21-2015, 01:02 AM
Also, Iona and I went to the Oregon coast a couple weeks ago and the water was WARM. Like bathwater. I've been swimming there all my life and I'm used to it being pretty freaking cold there most of the time, but holy shit was that water ever warm. Like, you get in and go "ohhh it's feels so warm and wonderfu----aw fuck, global warming."

Mermaid Galene
08-21-2015, 06:56 AM
Heading to FaerieCon East this fall. Been debating about bringing a tail. Not sure how I'll manage to pack one with all those wings and things!

PearlieMae
08-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Heading to FaerieCon East this fall. Been debating about bringing a tail. Not sure how I'll manage to pack one with all those wings and things!

Take it...take it all, but pack it and ship it to your hotel via UPS or FedEx. And ship it home, too (insured, of course). The expense vs hassle at the airport is MORE than worth it!

Elodea the Mermaid
08-21-2015, 12:52 PM
I usually swim in mountain lakes, so I'm pretty used to cold. I swim in Lake Tahoe, and in the lakes and streams in the Sierra Nevada... I bet I can take the Sound (Does it even lift?). Where is the best place to get in? I'll be staying in the downtown Hyatt, so I'll be splashing around their indoor pool getting all chlorine-y too.

<--- Lake Tahoe

Theobromine
08-21-2015, 02:06 PM
DOES IT EVEN LIFT BRO?! Yeah, it kinda does actually, but only on weekends.

Downtown isn't a good place to swim in the Sound, the waterfront is all developed because port. But if you go north to Ballard there's Golden Gardens, which I haven't swum at yet but I hear is nice (Merman Ed could tell you more). If you go south there's West Seattle, which in my totally unbiased opinion is the best (haha I live here). It's still part of the city but it's also a bit more removed, geographically speaking, and it's also more of a residential neighborhood so parking isn't terrifying like it is most other places. We also have Alki Beach (most famous/popular swimming beach in Seattle, also kinda touristy and usually pretty crowded but still lovely and with a great view of Seattle). My new favorite place to swim, though, is Lincoln Park, which is a wooded park instead of a restaurant-lined strip like Alki. It's also less than ten minutes from where I live, so that's handy. That's where Colman Pool is (outdoor saltwater pool I linked earlier) but the pool's really popular so it's always pretty crowded. Plus you have to pay to get in and swimming in the Sound is free. So yes, if anyone wants to come hang out while you're here/while Lorelei is in town, please feel free! Lorelei and I will be swimming and/or gallivanting around Seattle on Thursday Sept. 3rd before we head down to Oregon for Faerieworlds on Friday.

Here's a pic from Lorelei-Varasai's Instagram of when we went for a walk around Lincoln Park and the water was so inviting I jumped in fully clothed like the mature, highly dignified fish I am: https://instagram.com/p/6OVWojipbm/?taken-by=lovely_lorelei

Elodea the Mermaid
08-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Okay, I feel like I have profoundly and aggressively hijacked this thread but... it's looking like me and my pirate captain will be swimming around Lincoln Park in Seattle this Thursday, Aug. 27. I guess the Sound will test our mettle, lol. We'd love some merm-ish company :-)

Have fun at Faerieworlds, all! I'll stop posting my plans on this thread starting... 3... 2... 1... NOW!

Theobromine
08-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Haha Elodea, I'll message you on Facebook then so we can try to plan a meet-up!

Elodea the Mermaid
08-25-2015, 06:49 PM
👍

Mermaid Lorelei
08-25-2015, 07:27 PM
Oh Elodea, you make me giggle.

Merman Dan
11-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Is anyone else attending FaerieCon East in Maryland this weekend?

Mermaid Galene
11-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Well, Stu and I were going. Tickets bought, travel arranged. Then our little dog had to have emergency back surgery and must be kept quiet and supervised at all times for 6-8 weeks. So, bye bye FaerieCon! :cry: Next year.

Have a great time, Dan, and do a little wing wave for us!