PDA

View Full Version : Longer Tail A'la Hook, H2O, Fishtails...

mermaidondine
01-03-2012, 12:20 AM
I have to wait until I start my new job to save up and start the actual construction, but I'm designing my very first tail and I'm so excited! :)

I've been going over various designs, but my favorites for inspiration have always been the tails from Hook (if you couldn't tell by my signature haha) and I've been obsessing over the idea of a longer look for my tail. Like many others I've tried doing research on the ones made for Hook though and I've been pretty unsuccessful on finding any info. Then there's the H2O (http://www.jmbfxstudio.com.au/images/films/H2O-4.jpg) and Fishtails (http://www.jmbfxstudio.com.au/images/films/fish-tales-06.jpg) tails by JMBFX that have longer tails as well, but the problem I'm running into is that those tails have rod extensions in them, rather than the "traditional" swim tail, in which you can usually see the ankles/where the monofin connects.

My first thought to creating this look without the rod extension was using a monofin in the actual tail casing and then a fuller fin at the very end fluke. I came across these behind the scenes videos for The Legend of Atlantis and The Pearl Trident that had the same sort of design idea going on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZRhjYdt0RM, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICXiijPt7nw

BUT they're a little too long for my taste and I didn't like the somewhat bulky (and obvious) look of the large Rapid fin breaking up the tail. So then I had the idea of using one of the more narrow finis monofins like the Shooter or the Trainer 1 for actual propelling in the tail, instead of a Rapid/Wave or Competitor, so that it's more narrow all the way down; and then having a fuller fin at the end. However, I don't want the end fin to be really floppy and lifeless if its just out of material (whether its lycra or latex), but I'm also afraid that a second monofin in the end might make the tail way too heavy to swim in?

Is there any way to possibly make a longer, more narrow tail that would be swimmable? Like, cutting down a Rapid fin? (Or would that ruin the fluidity/make it not work the way that its supposed to?) Any other thoughts/ideas as to how I might achieve this look?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

taom
01-03-2012, 01:34 AM
I like the idea of using a smaller monofin/cutting a monofin to size. You should have enough propulsion for normal use (no ocean swimming or anything like that) and it would slim the tail shape. However, I think that putting an actual monofin in the end of the tail would be way too bulky, weigh you down, and, frankly, look a little odd with the shape of the foot pockets showing through. You could instead use a different material such as a thin polycarbonate sheet (lexan is the best because it is super flexible but acrylic would work, too, as its placement wouldn't put too much tension on it), or you could use this stuff called foam neoprene, which is just like really thick craft foam but water/mildew resistant and slightly stiffer. Really, any waterproof material would work to fill out the form of your fluke, I would just be careful because you don't want to drag yourself down.

mermaidondine
01-03-2012, 02:08 AM
Exactly. Weight is definitely a huge factor in this one. I don't want to be weighed down, and I agree that that foot pockets showing through would be rather odd-looking. I do like your idea of using lexan or foam instead though! I think for now (budget-wise), cutting down a fin may be the best route, although I'm still afraid I won't get the length that I really want... I wish there was some way to extend the tail that didn't include advanced mechanics, y'know? Haha I was also thinking of somehow incorporating Kanti's tutorial (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?330-Making-monofins-out-of-old-swim-fins!&p=10028#post10028) on creating monofins out of swim fins? Perhaps by constructing something that's longer and more narrow in the actual foot pocket area and then having the larger form fluke develop at the bottom. Like, a Shooter or Trainer 1 finis for the narrow look, and then adding to the bottom of it kind of like how Kanti did with the cut-off/excess of the fins - but with my own take of course :-) Then I was thinking I could decorate the narrow part with a sort of pectoral/small side fin to sort of hide/decorate it, kind of like the ones done for the tails in Hook...

MermanJesse
01-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Those tails have kick plates attached to a rod attached to a sheet of plastic.

I made an H2O style tail, while it worked, I only recommend a tail like that to a strong swimmer.

merboy78xy
01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
what I love is the way the fluke on the Hook tails moves SO fluidly... it's so organic! I wonder why it's so hard to find out who made them!?

mermaidondine
01-03-2012, 01:36 PM
@MermanJesse: Yeah, I had already read/researched the construction of those tails, which led me to where I'm at now: frustrated. Haha I did swim in high school, so I consider myself a fairly strong swimmer. Still, I would never push forward with the kick plate/rod/plastic design for the simple fact alone that I couldn't fasten such advanced mechanics myself! Lol! At this point, I'm thinking the best route will be to modify a fin and use Lexan/foam, like Taom suggested. I'm thinking I may buy and modify an Oceanika (http://www.oceanikamerfins.com/) fin to hopefully achieve the look that I want (without losing the ability to swim), but I'm still weighing my options and drawing up a fin concept/design as we speak :-)

@Merboy: I know! That's why I love the Hook tails so much! They move with such fluidity and grace and they're so well made that there's virtually no hint of ankles or foot pockets. I love that! I wish it was easier to find out who made them, but I've exhausted most outlets for information...

And whoever it was...if you're reading this...you are an absolute genius! Hehe!

Odette
01-03-2012, 01:49 PM
the rigdes in the mave are for better flow. best fin for swimming so far is the competitor. the stifness and wide sides makes a more fluid streamline in the water.
i dont know the effects of cutting a monofin but i know that most propulsion comes from the ankles with your dolphin kick so make sure they can bend well.

Odette
01-03-2012, 02:00 PM

I made an H2O style tail, while it worked, I only recommend a tail like that to a strong swimmer.

sweet! never knew you did that.

mermaidondine
01-03-2012, 02:18 PM
@Odette: Well the problem with fins like the Wave/Rapid or Competitor is that they're too wide for the look that I'm wanting to go for. They're too bulky and would stick out far too much from tube part of the tail - like how they looked in the tails in the breathing exercise videos for "The Legend of Atlantis" that I linked to. I want to achieve a longer-looking tube/tail, but that doesn't have such visible ankles or an obvious monofin like in H2O/Fishtails and Hook, but that's really hard to do without some extension like the rod/kick plate combo, y'know?

Rather than cutting a fin, at this point I'm thinking combining/making fins by using Kanti's monofin tutorial (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?330-Making-monofins-out-of-old-swim-fins!&p=10028#post10028) might be the best way to achieve the fin look that I want? Perhaps with a Shooter/Trainer to create a narrow, elongated appearance in the actual tube part of the tail, fastened with a pair of re-constructed old fins or another mono with a more mermaid-ish or dolphin-esque fluke at the end.

Alveric
01-03-2012, 02:39 PM
In the Hook tails, I wonder if they used something more flexible than a rigid rod. Something more spring-like.

Alveric

mermaidondine
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
That's what I've been wondering... But I'm not very knowledgeable in what goes into those sorts of mechanics, so I don't even know where to begin to figure out what it could possibly be! Lol!

Alveric
01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm sure someone on this forum could figure this out.

Alveric

OrcaMatt
01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I have an idea...was going to build this into my Dream Tail(tm) Orca Tail*

*The kind of insane, likely impractical version, so your typical Dream Tail(tm) :P

SweeteSiren
01-03-2012, 07:38 PM
I always figured it was something hinged that could move in segments.

Mermaid Jewel
01-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Maybe it had a flexible sheet in it? I'm looking at your sig and it doesn't look like there's a rod or really any support but wouldn't that be a bit too floppy?

Azurin Luna
01-04-2012, 02:07 AM
http://dsc.discovery.com/adventure/disabled-woman-gets-prosthetic-mermaid-tail-to-help-her-swim.html
Watch the video on the site, it gives you an inside look of her tail, maybe you can use some of it for your tail.

Good luck!

merboy78xy
01-04-2012, 11:54 AM
frankly, I wonder if the hook tails are all latex or silicone inside.
I look at the smoothness of the movement, and I feel like they just made the pocket for the actor's legs and feet to fit into, but from there down it could all be one thick piece of latex. that would allow for the smoothness of movement-- and the thickness of the "tail" (coming all the way to a point between the thinner fluke "fins" might be what provide the stability that we might assume was a rod or spring, etc. and the fluke fins just move according to hydrodynamics. Kind of how stiff and sturdy rubber swimfins are at their thickest point, vs. the thinnest point-- but both have give and grace to them in the water. I am only suggesting tho. No idea here.
Ondine... what are you going to make your tail out of? Neoprene? Fabric? Silicone?

OrcaMatt
01-04-2012, 12:15 PM
My current tail is like that: the fin is silicone with no monofin.

merboy78xy
01-04-2012, 02:07 PM
OrcaMatt... how does it swim? Is it vastly different without the monofin?

mermaidondine
01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
@Mermaid Jewel: That had crossed my mind as well. Like, something along the lines of Lexan or a polyurethane/foam... Or maybe it was just latex or silicone and no monofin at all, but then I wondered if it would be too floppy without any sort of frame or support? I wish I knew! It would make this design process so much easier! LOL!

@OrcaMatt: I'm curious as well... How does your current tail swim? Is it difficult to swim in having no monofin?

@Merboy: Well, I was planning on doing a spandex/latex tail by painting liquid latex onto the spandex and then working in some sort of netting for the scales. I've worked with latex before - I did a bunch of prosthetics for a friend's film and I've made pieces for myself and my friends for Halloween before - but I don't have any experience at all with neoprene or silicone, as much as I'd LOVE a silicone tail... However, I'm also going to get just a fabric tail for practice/plan b :-)

@Azurin: I totally forgot about that article! Thank you so much for linking it... I will definitely be watching it again to hopefully get some more ideas for this :-)

Mermaid Photine
01-04-2012, 08:51 PM
What about a curved rod?

mermaidondine
01-04-2012, 09:29 PM
I sat down with my mom today to watch a bunch of the behind-the-scenes/tail-making videos for H2O/Aquamarine/FishTails (not to mention the Hook mermaid scene about a hundred times lol) and we came up with some alternate ideas for the extension rod system that I think I'm going to follow up with/test out. Hopefully I can find success with one of them enough to create my dream tail! :-)

Mermaid Lorelei
01-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Praying it goes well for you!

OrcaMatt
01-04-2012, 09:43 PM
I sat down with my mom today to watch a bunch of the behind-the-scenes/tail-making videos for H2O/Aquamarine/FishTails (not to mention the Hook mermaid scene about a hundred times lol) and we came up with some alternate ideas for the extension rod system that I think I'm going to follow up with/test out. Hopefully I can find success with one of them enough to create my dream tail! :-)This is pretty much what I was going to do. Even kicked it around some mechanical engineering friends...it should work! I plan on trying it.

mermaidondine
01-04-2012, 10:12 PM
@Mermaid Lorelai: Thank you! I'll be sure to keep you guys updated as I develop the tail :-)

@OrcaMatt: Yeah, I think its just a matter of testing out different ideas until finding the right one... I'm still curious though, how do you like your all-silicone tail? What's it like to swim in? Is there any difference at all in difficulty when it comes to swimming in it? The reason I ask is because I was contemplating doing something along those lines (latex though) without an actual mono in it, or maybe a Shooter/Trainer in the tubing part of the tail and no mono in the actual fin part, y'know?

Mermaid Shelly
01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
In my betta tail I used a Finis Foil since it was narrower than the other models that I had seen previously. It is really squishy and comfortable on the feet and might give you the fluid, yet narrow look that you are going for :) http://www.finisinc.com/foil-monofin.html

Mermaid Star
01-05-2012, 09:13 PM
I looked on IMDB and it appears that a SFX company called Cannom Creations may have made the tails. I know that they painted them at the very least. That is the best thatI could find on the matter though

mermaidondine
01-05-2012, 09:53 PM
@Mermaid Shelly: I love your tails, Shelly! Your Betta one is particularly beautiful. Love the color scheme :-) How do you like using the Foil over the Rapid/Wave or Competitor?

@Star: Yeah, I had read a little about Cannom Creations and their filmography/credits. I know that Greg did some of the makeup in recent films like Battle at the Smithsonian (the Teddy Roosevelt bust) and even Watchmen, but wasn't able to track down any official website or page or anything for him... I guess he does do seminars for makeup through The Make Up Space though! http://www.themakeupspace.com/artist-cannom.htm I was thinking of possibly contacting them and inquiring about some contact info for him...but I don't know if that might come off too invasive...

LindseyLu
01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I am currently working with a few of my engineer friends on building monofins.... I am trying to make adult size monofins shaped like the finis mermaid monofin. But, I for my tail I would like a longer look as well and hav been shooting around this idea:

When looking at the HOOK tails it does look like they could very well be solid silicone. If there is some other material in there for stability it must be very flexible...possibly a polyurethane foam??? That is what I am looking in to anyway... Here is a great webiste for supplies that might be useful to you! This is where my guys refered me to...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#polyurethane-sheet-stock/=fnucmj

I'm ordering either an 80 or 90 durometer polyeurethane sheet to build the monofin with... But is you check out some of the foams, open and closed cell, it might be perfect for what you need! :) Good luck!!!! <3

OrcaMatt
01-07-2012, 01:26 AM
@OrcaMatt: Yeah, I think its just a matter of testing out different ideas until finding the right one... I'm still curious though, how do you like your all-silicone tail? What's it like to swim in? Is there any difference at all in difficulty when it comes to swimming in it? The reason I ask is because I was contemplating doing something along those lines (latex though) without an actual mono in it, or maybe a Shooter/Trainer in the tubing part of the tail and no mono in the actual fin part, y'know?Sorry, missed this the first time. I haven't had it in the water yet, owing to the fact that it doesn't really fit, and I've no idea where I'd swim anyway. From what I hear though (this tail has some history) it's not very fast, which makes sense because the fin is really floppy. The leading edge needs to be a lot stiffer, and I might try and fix it.

mermaidondine
01-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Sorry, missed this the first time. I haven't had it in the water yet, owing to the fact that it doesn't really fit, and I've no idea where I'd swim anyway. From what I hear though (this tail has some history) it's not very fast, which makes sense because the fin is really floppy. The leading edge needs to be a lot stiffer, and I might try and fix it.

No worries! I've been thinking about the design of the fin and I was leaning toward something with no mono, but perhaps re-enforcing it with plastic boning, like in a corset. I still have to get the supplies and test it out, but I'm hoping this may help stiffen the fin so its not so floppy, like you said.

Also! I think I might have found one of the Hook tails floating around online?

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/6682/tumblrls253d0pma1qckuls.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls253d0pMA1qckulso1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1326916258&Signature=f8jLxOYA8kh4zRLkE5%2F%2Fnq%2Fd0tU%3D (http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls253d0pMA1qckulso1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1326916258&Signature=f8jLxOYA8kh4zRLkE5%2F%2Fnq%2Fd0tU%3D)

It looks really similar to the design of the tails in Hook, including the little side fins and the paint that goes higher up on the waist and up to the chest to cover her lady lumps lol I believe it may be the tail of the second mermaid (the Pink/Red one) that comes to Peter's (Robin) aid, although the coloring is just a bit off... But this is exactly the look that I want to go for! I love the "no heels/ankles" effect! Its so realistic! :-)

Aquatarian
01-18-2012, 05:10 PM
^ Really? That's awesome!

But is there a way you can reformat or post the picture. I can't see it.

Still that is amazing news considering the film is 20 something odd years old. And I totally agree about the ankles thing. The most realistic tail shape I have ever come across.

mermaidondine
01-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I'm really excited about it :-)

And yes! It had a weird tumblr link/extension, but I just uploaded the photo and put it into the post so there's an actual pic now.

I know right. It's so crazy... I wish there was an easier way. Hopefully the boning works out the way I see it in my mind/drew it down on paper. But only trial and error will tell! Lol!

Aquatarian
01-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Oh mu goodness. you are right. That AT LEAST looks like ti was made by the same person.

amazing. I can only wish you the best of luck. I hope the end product you end up with comes out just as good!

Mermaid Shelly
01-18-2012, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=mermaidondine;10300]@Mermaid Shelly: I love your tails, Shelly! Your Betta one is particularly beautiful. Love the color scheme :-) How do you like using the Foil over the Rapid/Wave or Competitor? QUOTE]

Thank you! I love the Foil... it is so easy to get into! I don't even need my neoprene surf booties which I normally swear by. The Rapid that I have is pretty painful with the ankle straps and all, and the Wave is better but still not as comfy as the Foil. I have never used a Competitor fin, but everyone who has one really seems to like it. Although with the narrower look you are going for, a 28' blade would probably be difficult to manage.

ballerinamermaid
02-29-2012, 01:38 AM
I'm a dancer, and I wear these pointe shoes called Gaynor Minden. These shoes are made of polymers, and I wonder if you could use a soft polymer that extends past your foot, and giving the tail a flow that would be pretty and supple.

Mermaid Saphira
02-29-2012, 03:42 PM
I found this picture on the internet if it aids in your design any...
http://i43.tinypic.com/nqti7q.jpg

taom
02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
@ballerinamermaid Omg I've heard of Minden's! How do you like them? I've heard good and bad about them. Some people say they can't feel the floor through the toe.

Also, that pic it awesomely helpful.

Mermaid Saphira
02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Also, Merman Jesse made an h2o style mermaid tail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY9cNxLl0UE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBv3B68EyJQ

Mermaid Lorelei
03-12-2012, 08:46 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/28201_102523166462192_101190946595414_19971_380209 6_n.jpg

Thought this might help.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/28201_102523166462192_101190946595414_19971_380209 6_n.jpg

Mermaid Photine
03-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Now to find out how they attached the fluke to the foot part...

Kanti
03-26-2012, 11:45 AM
But then what's that pole made out of o.O
Lol this seems to be raising more and more questions!!

Mermaid Nyla
04-14-2012, 07:18 PM
the pole has to be something flexible enough that it looks good in the water but nice and sturdy so it doesn't break....but what? and how?
if this gets figured out i am going to be so amazed. :P

Mermaid Nyla
04-15-2012, 02:38 PM
here are some informative video's on the h20 tails that i found. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5D4ZRrDSY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wg2xMJNNSE&feature=related

Mermaid Photine
04-15-2012, 02:59 PM
They made it out of nylon rod, I think like this (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=668) stuff.

MerEmma
02-18-2013, 11:29 PM
I know this got kinda forgotten, but...did this ever go anywhere?

Mermaid Photine
02-19-2013, 08:55 PM
I've got a project going for an extended lexan tail, but I haven't done much work on it this winter because of school stuff. This thread has reminded me of it, though. Perhaps I shall work on it eventually...

MermaidNerenia
02-22-2013, 02:44 PM
I tried to research the Hook tails when I first started as a mer. I didn't find hide nor hair besides who painted them. It was aggravating, they are still some of my favorite tails EVER. The shapes and the extra fins were beautiful and I always love the color matching of the mers, especially the green one.

Trident True
08-16-2013, 06:45 AM
yes that tail does look very realistic. Perhaps its not a rod at all maybe it's just silicone. if you think about it silicone is very flexable in the water especially soft silicone. when i was looking at the picture i just got the feeling that it was made out of silicone and not have a rod extension. im currently experimenting something like this for my tail. it wasnt origianlly intended however i made some critical errors that this is the only way i can create it without wasting product. my aim is to ensure my feet do not show in mine but will see how it all works out. if i have any success with my method i will post here. PS. my tail will be inspired by the h20 tails, well.... the fluke part anyways. i will not be using a rod as my brain can't figure out how to create a foot plate that attaches to a rod. :( this is something in 100% sure on.

SIF
11-13-2013, 11:49 AM
I looked on IMDB and it appears that a SFX company called Cannom Creations may have made the tails. I know that they painted them at the very least. That is the best thatI could find on the matter though

JBM FX Studios did the tails for Aquamarine, H2O and Fishtales. They're located in Gold Coast, Queensland Australia and do not respond to questions, unless you have the 25,000 lying around waiting for purchase(as a customer).

Paige Silvertail
01-05-2014, 11:10 PM
If you figure this out, could you give me some tips? I'm thinking about trying to design an H2o style tail as well. I love the length and movement of those tails - they look so real!

Also, I was thinking about how everyone says they are really hard to swim in because they weigh, like, eighty pounds. But what if you did the inside in neoprene, like the original, but did the outer "skin" with fabric and sequins, Hannah Fraser style? It would still look real, and it would make the overall weight of the tail a lot less extreme. Just an idea, I haven't made a tail like that before.

jazz2453
01-09-2014, 05:45 AM
@Mermaid Olivia, I believe I've seen a picture somewhere of someone who created an extended fabric tail. It looked pretty nice :)

Mermaid Oshun
01-09-2014, 06:02 AM
I really do not think most people are capable of swimming in an 85 lb tail much less at the local pool. The H20 actresses were coached for months and literally carried under water by divers. Most people dont have divers to carry them :lol: You might be biting off a LOT More than you can chew.
The easiest way would be to make a tail around a $500 Lunocet monofin to add a few inches
Or make a substitute yourself with Flexar Travel fins and Lexan

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?6796-Dimensions-of-the-Monofin&p=102555#post102555

Either one of these options will only add a few inches of extension though. Not nearly as long as the tails you mentioned from the media. Bear in mind tails already make people 7 1/2 - 8 feet long (by adding a 2 foot fluke to your body). If you are also adding a 2 foot pvc pole/plate with a foot plate/peddle bonded to that where can you swim with all that? Do you have a large lake nearby and a helper to assist you to maneuver? You can NOT stand on one of those stilt like extensions, you'd have to be carried! Do you really think you could even manage being 9 1/2 - 10 feet long and incapable of standing? ???

Echidna
01-09-2014, 06:40 AM
^^That's true.
I'm 6'11 without tail, and I have big problems finding places to swim in without bumping my fluke (or feet even, for that matter).

Also, my snaketails are slightly elongated, and they're hard to swim in because the extra fabric takes in so much water and then drags.
The lunocet is your best bet at a longer tail, but it would be hard to fit into a tail because of the cycling shoes.

Mermaid Oshun
01-09-2014, 06:48 AM
do you use a Lunocet Caltuna?

MerEmma
01-09-2014, 08:24 AM
The new Mako Mermaids tails as said in the behind the scenes, are closer to 30 lbs./12 kilos. They're much lighter, still not practical for every day use quite, but definitely a lot better. Not sure how they're made lighter though, haha!

Echidna
01-09-2014, 09:38 AM
do you use a Lunocet Caltuna?

No, I'd love to have one though if it really swims the way they say.
Sceptical about the shoes as well (which I don't have either xD )

PearlieMae
01-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Cal, You're 6' 11"?

Or 6' 1"?

Either way, You're TALL!

Echidna
01-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Cal, You're 6' 11"?

Or 6' 1"?

Either way, You're TALL!

On Model Mayhem, I put in my numbers (181cm) and they show my height as 6'11.
However, I just googled, and I found conflicting statements for 181cm to being 5'9, 5'11, or 6ft,
apparently depending on the hour and whose territory you are in, and how many natives you managed to slaughter since arriving on the new continent.

(Not really, but you get my point. I've no idea whether the US measurements are just so unlogical no one really understands them, but I'm 181cm tall, so make your own calculation :lol:)

PearlieMae
01-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Hahaha! You're cracking me up there, Stretch!
(I'm 5'4")

Mermaid Oshun
01-09-2014, 12:35 PM
I think youre 5 feet 11 inches tall Caltuna. You're a GREAT HEIGHT to be a model! :D
I am 5'8" personally. Do you ever wear high heels at your height? I dont.

Echinacea
01-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Wow! You're almost a foot taller than I am! I'm about 5'1"! :)

Echidna
01-09-2014, 01:08 PM
I've never worn heels because of my height until recently.
I was invited to a casting call, and it's expected to wear stilettos or at least high heels for that, so I purchased my very first pair of high heels last week xD

I wouldn't wear them outside of modeling though, far too uncomfortable, especially stilettos :p

(I think we've derailed this thread badly :lol:)

jazz2453
01-09-2014, 05:24 PM
I was planning on making a monofin similar to that 2014 lunocet one but with a fiberglass blade and longer rod. Would this work?

AptaMer
01-09-2014, 07:25 PM
On Model Mayhem, I put in my numbers (181cm) and they show my height as 6'11.
However, I just googled, and I found conflicting statements for 181cm to being 5'9, 5'11, or 6ft,
apparently depending on the hour and whose territory you are in, and how many natives you managed to slaughter since arriving on the new continent.

(Not really, but you get my point. I've no idea whether the US measurements are just so unlogical no one really understands them, but I'm 181cm tall, so make your own calculation :lol:)

There are 12 inches per foot, and there are 2.54 cm per inch.

therefore if you are 181 cm tall you are 181/2.54 = 71.25 inches tall.

5 x 12 = 60, therefore you are taller than 5 feet

71.25 - 60 = 11.25 inches

Therefore, you are 5 feet, 11.25 inches, or, as they would write in the United States: 5'11"

That's tall for a mermaid. Well above the average. They say the minimum height for runway models is 5'9", so you're definitely have potential as a mermodel :)

Echidna
01-10-2014, 01:51 PM
I was planning on making a monofin similar to that 2014 lunocet one but with a fiberglass blade and longer rod. Would this work?

What will you put as footpocket? The Lunocet principle is a bit different to normal monofins.
But I'd love to see you try it out.

@Aptamer, yea I wish.
So far, I had some encouraging feedback regarding underwater shootings, but in the end everyone just wants to do the same old, same old on land :p

Imogen Finnly
03-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Doesn't fiberglass shatter like nuts?

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Winged Mermaid
03-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Doesn't fiberglass shatter like nuts?

I've never heard of that happening- in fact fiberglass is the top choice for finswimming and freediving fins. It's the minority of fins that don't use it. However Acrylic sheets can shatter if used for a monofin. Into tons of razor-sharp shards.

Imogen Finnly
03-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Maybe that is what I was thinking of. Haha I read something on a thread about it, must've got it confused

Mujdak
08-08-2015, 04:42 PM

Do you have any pictures of it? How you made it? How you made the mechanism? :)

Marinus Mortimer
08-29-2015, 04:32 AM
If you figure this out, could you give me some tips? I'm thinking about trying to design an H2o style tail as well. I love the length and movement of those tails - they look so real!

Also, I was thinking about how everyone says they are really hard to swim in because they weigh, like, eighty pounds. But what if you did the inside in neoprene, like the original, but did the outer "skin" with fabric and sequins, Hannah Fraser style? It would still look real, and it would make the overall weight of the tail a lot less extreme. Just an idea, I haven't made a tail like that before.

I think that a tail that thick made out of neoprene alone would be too buoyant to swim in and may need some type of weight stabilizing system.

Trident True
08-29-2015, 06:15 AM
The Tails used in mako mermaids to actually float, so there is a possibility that they use weight belts. neoprene will depend on the individual, as for me i float like a lily pad.

OrcaMatt
08-29-2015, 02:00 PM
I think that a tail that thick made out of neoprene alone would be too buoyant to swim in and may need some type of weight stabilizing system.Can confirm. Made a tail from 3mm neoprene for Merfest and it was far too floaty to use without a weight belt...I knew it would be floaty, just figured I could deal for the weekend. Nope. Granted 3mm is on the thick side.

Marinus Mortimer
08-29-2015, 03:13 PM
I've been thinking that the extension could be made out of one big piece of Polycarbonate sheet, it could begin at the mid-calves pint secured by belts, going down the front (because if you stretch your feet down it becomes flat unlike the back) at the back of the feet a footplate attached to the extension with a THinge and secured to the feet with zoomers, after that's finished, cover it with a powermesh lined neoprene (because silicone does not stick to neoprene). Does some one understand this? Ill post some pics of my concept soon.

Marinus Mortimer
08-29-2015, 05:53 PM
This is the design I was talking about but many cutting it down to X2 (mid-calves)32576

PearlieMae
08-29-2015, 06:30 PM
You can't have a vertical fluke, and it's all theory until you build a prototype.

Personally, I don't think it will work, but you can always prove me wrong.

Marinus Mortimer
08-29-2015, 08:10 PM
You can't have a vertical fluke, and it's all theory until you build a prototype.

Personally, I don't think it will work, but you can always prove me wrong.

Thanks PearlieMae for the comment, I have drawn down 4 prototype models but I still don't have the cash for the materials,but you may be right I'm still going to try out my options, and again thanks.

Keiris
08-30-2015, 12:37 AM
It's an interesting concept, Marinus. It would work in still shots on land and in the water. I can't picture how you can actually SWIM in a vertical fluke when your legs are strapped together which only leaves dolphin kicking as an option. A vertical fluke would only chop at the water rather than propel you through it. You did want to swim in it, right???

PearlieMae
08-30-2015, 12:50 AM
I apologize if I was short with you earlier. I was annoyed by other things, and had a pretty trying afternoon.

I would be interested in following if you do decide to explore this as a project.

:thumbs-up:

Keiris
08-30-2015, 01:03 AM
I apologize if I was short with you earlier. I was annoyed by other things, and had a pretty trying afternoon.

I would be interested in following if you do decide to explore this as a project.

Pearlie, if you would stop crashing around and throwing your molds and supplies on the floor, you might be less short in the future. :lol:

OceanWhisper
08-30-2015, 01:59 AM
Pearlie, if you would stop crashing around and throwing your molds and supplies on the floor, you might be less short in the future. :lol:
Hahaha :lol:

Echidna
08-30-2015, 05:18 AM
Short or no, I agree.
I love elongated tails and vertical flukes, but imo it cannot work.

If you plan to have your legs/feet like in that sketch, the flue will chop up and down as Keiris said.
If the mechanism is supposed to move the fluke from side to side while in that position, you will move vertically in front (dolphinkick) and the fluke will somehow be moved horizontally.
Now that will make for an awkward sight!
And the eye is very quick to pick up unnatural movement.

In some other thread years ago, we talked about this too, and I brought up an example of a vertical-fluked mermaid.
You can do this in SL with the right animation kit.
Maybe I can upload a vid of said animation when my main PC can be salvaged, but however:

In said animation you can see the movement one would have to be able to do to swim with a vertical fin in a reasonable fashion.
It's basically a dolphinkick done horizontally, which isn't possible with a human spine and knee joints.

Marinus Mortimer
08-30-2015, 01:13 PM

Don't worry PearlieMae but I'm not making it vertical many the sketch looks that way but it's a horizontal extension I'm aware that my spine is not mention to move like that , Keiris I doo want it to swim right I'm a competitive freediver here in P.R. so I'm mostly going to use my tails at sea, so an efficient propulsion mechanism would be ideal, I don't want to die (but I would die happily at sea) I'm trying to upload the other sketches of the prototype models. many those would look more practical.

And again PearlieMae don't worry about it, I'm like one of your biggest fans, and I love your work and adore the unique style of your art.

Marinus Mortimer
08-30-2015, 01:38 PM
32588 this looks like the typical extension but it's made or will be made out of Polycarbonate plastic sheet , I added the spring because I think it could add stability, plus I can imagine that when I kick the spring will aid in the kick (open to any suggestions), 32589 in between (1) and (2) the stainless steel spring will be located.

Marinus Mortimer
08-30-2015, 01:48 PM
This is the reverse version of the first one I posted non of these are supposed to be vertical.

And this one is my latest sketch I'm still working on it, trying to figure out the spring mechanism for the inside of the prototype where the two pieces meet. Still got some thinking to do.32592

PearlieMae
08-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Don't think in terms of coiled springs. Think leaf springs, like in a car suspension system...flat pieces of spring steel, maybe two or three layered...

https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf+springs&client=ms-android-virgin-us&biw=360&bih=559&tbm=isch&prmd=si&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAmoVChMI4uTWocPRxwIVze-ACh1Naw2h

Marinus Mortimer
08-30-2015, 05:28 PM
Don't think in terms of coiled springs. Think leaf springs, like in a car suspension system...flat pieces of spring steel, maybe two or three layered...

https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf+springs&client=ms-android-virgin-us&biw=360&bih=559&tbm=isch&prmd=si&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAmoVChMI4uTWocPRxwIVze-ACh1Naw2h
I really can't imagine how a leaf spring would work on this but with your brains I bet that you'd make it work. but what i was trying to say is, imagine a coil spring that you push down it pushes up and vise versa it should look something like this.

inside of the red area