PDA

View Full Version : Marion, SC Mermaid Gathering and Pirate Festival!

MermaidKaelyn
08-31-2015, 09:02 PM
Hi guys! I have been given the task of putting together a mermaid gathering that will take place in Marion, SC alongside a Pirate Festival. The tentative date is June 10-11, 2016. In two weeks I will be visiting the facility and water but it looks like we will have a spring-fed pond to swim in that is over 100 ft deep in the middle. We plan to have contests and events that will result in a cash prize. I need as many mermaids as I can get! Email me at kaelynthemermaid@yahoo.com or reply on this thread! Thanks y'all!

Mermaid Lorelei
08-31-2015, 09:51 PM
I'm in Georgia, so SC isn't that far of a trip for me... Hmm.

Mermaid Saoirse
09-01-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm really interested, but I'm a bit curious about the details. Is it a mermaid lagoon or a social gathering?

MermaidKaelyn
09-02-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm still really unsure about the details but here's what I've got:

I am the mermaid for a pirate crew that is located in Charleston, SC. We have recently found a sponsor that wants to build a pirate village for festivals in Marion, SC. Our first event will be June 10-11, 2016 at the Swamp Fox Entertainment Complex. On the property I've been told there are ponds that are spring fed, one is 100ft deep and the other is 60 ft. We will be able to "frolic in clean, potable, clear, fresh water" according to my Captain. I've also been asked to form some contests and events for the mermaids to participate in for a cash prize. I guess technically it's a social gathering, the only reason I said Mermaid Lagoon is because that's what I've been calling it:p

Next Saturday I'lll be going to tour the facilities, grounds and ponds on foot and in tail so I will provide tons of pictures and information.

This is my first mermaid gathering I've ever had to plan and I'm open to suggestions and will do my best to answer questions!

Mermaid Saoirse
09-04-2015, 12:12 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun! I'd love to see photos of the location when you go if you can take any. As a freshwater mermaid I'm really drawn to the thought of deep ponds. :swoon:

I'll have to have a talk with my Merwrangler on what would be more accessible to him since I need him to travel. I want to go to at least one gathering next year and right now I'm looking between this one and the one that Merman Dan's setting up in January.

My family helps run a Highand Dance competition for a South Florida Scottish festival, so I've got a bit of experience with organizing events/gatherings. I have a few tips that might help you out since the events will be trained towards the merfolk being guests rather than entertainers.

- After getting a good look at the ponds, pick the one you'd like to be the main pond where the events will take place.
- A spot where any mertenders/wranglers that accompany the merfolk can keep gear that's near whichever pond you choose as the main pond.
- Something to make it obvious which pond is the main pond. Like a sign or decorations. It makes it a lot easier for the first few mers to find it.
- Having a schedule of when the events will be happening will come in handy! Especially if it's one that the merfolk can look at. Keeping it near the water might require lamination- but we've had a lot of experience with attendees occasionally referring to our schedules we post up at the table.

Sorry about the long post- I know how stressful planning something for the first time can be, especially if it's a gathering with events. I figured this could help give you a bit of a direction to go in.

MermaidKaelyn
09-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Thanks so much for the tips!

I'm planning on going to Merman Dan's event!!! I also have a wrangler that I need to help me get in and out of the water, so I'll be practicing next weekend with mine in the ponds. I've been told that the pond meets the land in kind of a grassy shoreline, coming from someone who lives on the lake it sounds better than mud! As far as the scheduling, I'm still waiting to see the event's page for the pirate festival made by my captain, from there I should be able to plan more specific things from there. I figured it was never to early to start harassing people to get them to come swim with me!

I will know way more after the 12th at my meeting, and hopefully the event will be up on social media before that.

MermaidKaelyn
09-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Update:

It will be free and open to anyone that wants to come! We will also be partnering with a Fairy Gathering if anyone here is into that. There will be vendors and such, and I may design a shirt to sell.

saborigakusei
09-05-2015, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure I'll have my tail by then, but I'd love to go!

MermaidKaelyn
09-05-2015, 05:21 PM

You can always piece together a simple tail for the event!

Mermaid Saoirse
09-05-2015, 10:39 PM
I spoke with my merwrangler today and we've agreed that we would love to attend the gathering! I will be asking my other pod members if anyone else would like to come, too. I'm really excited about this. I haven't met many merfolk in person before. :D

It's a lot easier on us that the event's free because we have to travel all the way from south Florida and find a place to stay.

Luckily we've got quite a few months ahead of us. A fabric tail should be more than enough to last the gathering if you find yourself needing a quick solution.

MermaidKaelyn
09-05-2015, 10:42 PM
YAY MERFRIENDS!!!

Merman Dan
09-05-2015, 10:57 PM
We have recently found a sponsor that wants to build a pirate village for festivals in Marion, SC.

A pity. There is an abandoned ren faire site in VA that has a glorious pirate ship. The Virginia Renaissance Faire (http://dcist.com/2013/11/abandoned_dc_the_virginia_renaissan.php#photo-1)

http://galleries.gothamistllc.com/asset/5292b00607fa4e35e4272997/mobile/rennfair-1.jpg

I'm planning on going to Merman Dan's event!!!

Looking forward to seeing you there! :) Not to far from here there is an old quarry now used as a dive site. They view merfolk as a curiosity but they do tolerate us. If you've ever wanted to swim with koi, Blue Stone Dive Resort is your place!

MermaidKaelyn
09-06-2015, 08:46 AM
That sounds great!!!

MermaidKaelyn
09-20-2015, 11:32 AM

So I went swimming in the pond:)

MermaidKaelyn
09-20-2015, 11:33 AM

It's plenty big to swim freely, there are quite a few updates coming along. The bank will be completely redone with sand so there won't be any of this mud nonsense.

MermaidKaelyn
09-20-2015, 11:35 AM

It's clean and nice water, but it wasn't as clear as I would have liked. Everyone told me it usually is clearer, it's just the day I went it was rainy and cloudy and had been raining off and on the past couple of days. I was hoping for underwater pictures but the water was not cooperating that day.

MermaidKaelyn
09-20-2015, 11:36 AM

Like I said, BIG.

Mermaid Saoirse
09-21-2015, 08:33 PM
This looks amazing! It's a lot bigger than I expected it to be. I'm looking forward to swimming here. :D
Aside from the mud on the bank, what was the pondfloor like? Was it really rocky or muddy?
I just got a really cool idea of anchoring a temporary floating platform a bit deeper out for merfolk to rest on in case they start getting tired. It would be really neat to get a photo of all the merfolk resting on or hanging onto the platform.

Mermaid Lorelei
09-21-2015, 08:50 PM
The merwrangler and I are looking into this for sure! We just have to see about the travel expenses.

MermaidKaelyn
10-13-2015, 02:49 PM
This looks amazing! It's a lot bigger than I expected it to be. I'm looking forward to swimming here. :D
Aside from the mud on the bank, what was the pondfloor like? Was it really rocky or muddy?
I just got a really cool idea of anchoring a temporary floating platform a bit deeper out for merfolk to rest on in case they start getting tired. It would be really neat to get a photo of all the merfolk resting on or hanging onto the platform.

Unfortunatly, it's muddy. However, the pirate crew is planning on laying down A LOT more sand so its actually possible to swim up to the shore without getting muddy:p
I thought about a floating dock too! I submitted the idea and I'm pretty sure it's in the works. Also lots of floaties :3

Mermaid Lorelei
10-13-2015, 03:02 PM
You could do a floating dock with anchors or a solid dock with pylons, depending on how deep the pond is. A stationary dock might be easier to get one's mermaid butt up on. :P

MermaidKaelyn
10-13-2015, 03:13 PM
You could do a floating dock with anchors or a solid dock with pylons, depending on how deep the pond is. A stationary dock might be easier to get one's mermaid butt up on. :P

I hear that! They wanted to anchor one in the middle (the pond is about 80+ feet deep) but they also talked about a dock coming from the side. Kinda like a fishing dock fit you will:$

Mermaid Lorelei
10-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Multiple docks would be great too! Extra places to perch are always nice.

Mermaid Wesley
10-13-2015, 04:24 PM
That sounds so fun! Wish I were closer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Saoirse
10-13-2015, 08:50 PM
I hear that! They wanted to anchor one in the middle (the pond is about 80+ feet deep) but they also talked about a dock coming from the side. Kinda like a fishing dock fit you will:$

Ooh a dock coming from the side would be nice, too!

I'm so excited for this event! My merwrangler and I have begun setting aside money for it and are starting to talk transportation/lodging. Do you know of any good hotels near the location?

Mermaid Saoirse
02-19-2016, 12:08 AM
Sorry to post on an old thread, but is the event still happening?

Mermaid Adrienne
04-04-2016, 11:51 PM
I'll go :)

MermaidKaelyn
04-15-2016, 01:45 PM
Friends! This event is still in the works but our venue fell through so we have NO idea where it will occur. (Somewhere in the low country of south carolina) Thank you guys for your interest and keeping up with this thread even though I haven't. I will post updates when I know something more.

MermaidKaelyn
06-28-2016, 11:10 AM
Update: Because our sponser fell through with the venue and we decided to part ways with the company, we now cannot have this event without legal actions being taking against us this year. Hopefully next year we can start again and make this happen. So sorry to get everyone really excited.