PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Mer Visiting Australia

Merley
09-14-2015, 11:49 PM
Aloha guys,

So my roommate and I are going to Australia for a concert and I was hoping to bring my tail and get in some good swims while I'm there. We'll be in Sydney on the 29th (September) and will also be in Brisbane at some point. Not sure what days at the moment; I need to check the itinerary again. Any chance any of you want to meetup? I'd love to meet some new mers and get some ideas on good swim spots. We'll be there for two weeks. Will post more specific dates if this post garners any responses.

Hope to meet some of you soon!

Mahalo,

Merley

Mermaid Jaffa
09-15-2015, 12:04 AM
Yay! I don't know of any pools in Sydney directly that allows fins and tails, but the one I go to locally does.
http://www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/RALC/Lap-Lane-and-Program-Pool

There is also the Sydney Olympic Pools, they allow tails but its a bit further and I don't drive.
http://www.aquaticcentre.com.au/

Merman Jamie
09-15-2015, 11:11 PM
when you have the dates for when you are up in brisbane I am sure some of us mers that are in the area can arrange a meet.

Mer-Crazy
09-16-2015, 01:26 AM
I will be there so long as I'm not working :) I need to give about 4 weeks notice so it may be a little too late for me. However I am so keen for a meet up and am usually free on Sundays. I'll bring my camera and take all the pictures.

Mermaid Kelda
09-16-2015, 05:46 AM
Let me know when you'll be in Brisbane, I'd love to meet up!

Merley
09-16-2015, 07:34 AM
Hey guys, so we get to Brisbane October 3rd but like at 8 pm, so I'm assuming that's too late for mer-related activities. The concert, which is the main reason I'm going to Australia is on the 4th. So I kind of only have October 5th (Monday) and 6th (Tuesday) for a meetup since we head back to Sydney on the 7th. Not sure if that works for anyone, I know it's in the beginning of the week and short notice, but hopefully I can work something out.

Mermaid Kelda
09-16-2015, 09:20 AM
That works for me! Hopefully for others too :)

Merley
09-16-2015, 12:06 PM
That works for me! Hopefully for others too :)

Yayayayay! I'm so excited. :D

Mer-Crazy
09-16-2015, 07:10 PM
I will let you know as soon as I get my shifts :)

Mer-Crazy
09-17-2015, 06:51 PM
Okay so Monday the 5th is a public holiday so I won't be rostered on for that unless I want to. Awesome :)

Mer-Crazy
09-20-2015, 12:35 AM
So what time and where were you planning on meeting up Merley?

Merley
09-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Sweet. Uh this is my first trip to Australia and I know exactly nothing about the area. So whatever works for you and anyone else who wants to come. I'll try to make it happen. Totally open to suggestions!

Mizuko
09-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Wish i wasnt on the other side of the continent! Lol!

Mer-Crazy
09-23-2015, 05:26 PM
Where abouts are you staying? That way maybe we can find somewhere relatively close to you to make it easier :)

Mermaid Kelda
09-29-2015, 08:41 AM
Any news on this Merley? I assume you're in Sydney at the moment! Do you know what your plans are for Monday yet? I just ask because depending on where you'd like to meet up, it could be a good idea to start early in the day. The days are getting longer, but in Australia, it takes forever to get anywhere!

Merley
09-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Hey guys, sorry it took so long to respond. But yes, I'm here in Sydney. And it's freezing. Also watching the news here is a trip. You have like no celebrity nonsense because you guys have actual news to report on. Crazy. Anywho, we'll be staying at the NEXT hotel off of Queen street. (72 Queen St. Brisbane 4000 AU). And Monday sounds good to me.

Mer-Crazy
09-29-2015, 06:20 PM
... work put me on 11-4 this sucks so bad.

Merley
09-29-2015, 06:46 PM
Baw that blows. You should tell them you have important mermaid things to attend to.

Mer-Crazy
09-29-2015, 06:54 PM
I will haha.

Mermaid Kelda
09-29-2015, 08:26 PM
That's not fair they rostered you on such late notice! Can you still ask for it off?

Merley, what would you prefer to do in terms of swimming? I've found that most pools do allow tails (though we'd probably have to call the ones nearby just to make sure), or there's the human-made Streets Beach in South Bank for somewhere with sand and salt water, and a nicer spot to take photos. The only issue with public pools and South Bank is they'll be fairly crowded since it's a public holiday.

Mer-Crazy and I met up at a university pool which was much less crowded than a public pool, but they chlorinated the water up the wazoo so we could hardly see by the end of a few hours. Our other option is to travel a bit further out from Brisbane, but that depends of course on your schedule!

Otherwise, it looks like the NEXT hotel has a pretty neat rooftop pool, so we could ask if they'd allow outside guests and mermaid tails.

All in all it really depends on what you'd prefer to get out of the meet-up and your trip to Australia. Would you prefer to get some nice photos in a pretty location, or are you more interested in swimming, or are you mostly keen to meet up somewhere quiet or somewhere close to your hotel?

Mer-Crazy
09-29-2015, 09:50 PM
That's not fair they rostered you on such late notice! Can you still ask for it off?
They posted it a week or so ago, I just didn't check it until the other day and it's usually too late once it's been posted. I'm so annoyed. The only day off I have close to the 5th is the day before :/

Merley
09-30-2015, 02:14 AM
They posted it a week or so ago, I just didn't check it until the other day and it's usually too late once it's been posted. I'm so annoyed. The only day off I have close to the 5th is the day before :/

That really sucks. Sorry, Mer-Crazy. I was so stoked to meet up and check out your tail. But the concert is the day before and it's an all day affair. If you manage to get off somehow I'd love to meet you.

Kelda, I think we should check out the hotel pool first and see how it is. Then we can go from there to a beach if we want. Does that work?

Mermaid Kelda
09-30-2015, 05:00 AM
Sounds good to me Merley :)
When you check in, could you ask them what their policy on outside guests/mermaid tails is?

Mer-Crazy
10-01-2015, 03:08 AM
I swapped shifts so I can make it now! EEEEEEEE!

Merman Jamie
10-01-2015, 05:20 AM

Awesome Crazy.

I will try and make it and if I can I will bring my camera.

Mer-Crazy
10-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Awesome Crazy.

I will try and make it and if I can I will bring my camera.
Well I'll have my DSLR and underwater camera with me too :)

Mermaid Kelda
10-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Hooraaay! :D So glad you can make it.

Merman Arion
10-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Guys, I want to see pictures and swimming videos! :D

Kick butts!! :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Merley
10-02-2015, 12:56 AM

Woot woot! I'm so glad. And yay for more people. The roomie and I are at Manly beach right no . And I accidentally reopened an old tear at the waist I had fixed. :( Do you guys know if hardware stores out here carry GE 1 silicone, that's what Raven recommends, or an equivalent?

Merman Jamie
10-02-2015, 01:36 AM
they probably do but you would have to go in and ask them.

Mermaid Kelda
10-02-2015, 02:17 AM
Bunnings is probably your best bet; I know they sell caulking, at least. Worth calling up and asking!

Merley
10-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Bunnings is probably your best bet; I know they sell caulking, at least. Worth calling up and asking!

Thanks. I'll give it a try. We're all meeting at the hotel, yeah? I'll ask about their stance on tails. But I think it should be fine. I'm not there yet so I don't know what the pool looks like yet or how big it is. I've learned certain angles of pictures can be very deceiving.

Mermaid Kelda
10-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Yeah, I'm happy to meet at the hotel. It's pretty easy to get to South Bank from there, if it turns out the hotel won't let us swim - just a short walk to Central station, and three stops on the train, then a short walk from there to Streets Beach. Alternatively we could put in for an Uber and go straight there for maybe $20 total.

I had a look at the hotel on Trip Advisor, which includes customer photos, and the pool looks pretty good. It's hard to get a good idea of the depth from photos, though, and I can't find any more info on their website. But you can let us know about that when you get there :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255068-d256662-Reviews-NEXT_Hotel_Brisbane-Brisbane_Brisbane_Region_Queensland.html#photos

Merley
10-03-2015, 03:02 AM
Yeah, I'm happy to meet at the hotel. It's pretty easy to get to South Bank from there, if it turns out the hotel won't let us swim - just a short walk to Central station, and three stops on the train, then a short walk from there to Streets Beach. Alternatively we could put in for an Uber and go straight there for maybe $20 total.

I had a look at the hotel on Trip Advisor, which includes customer photos, and the pool looks pretty good. It's hard to get a good idea of the depth from photos, though, and I can't find any more info on their website. But you can let us know about that when you get there :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255068-d256662-Reviews-NEXT_Hotel_Brisbane-Brisbane_Brisbane_Region_Queensland.html#photos

An uber sounds good. I guess we'll play the pool thing by ear but at least we have a meet up spot. I'll check out the pool when I get there. Also I got you and Mer-Crazy a little something. :) Wasn't sure if anyone else was coming or I would have picked up a few more things.

Mer-Crazy
10-03-2015, 03:49 AM
What time are we meeting up? Also my mum is coming up with me is there anywhere to park near there?

Merman Jamie
10-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Ill be there unless some dire emergency happens.

What time are we meeting?

Merley
10-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Does two work for everyone? And I'll ask the concierge about parking when I go down today. I'll let you know.

Mermaid Kelda
10-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Two works for me :) that way we avoid the brutal midday sun, too.

Mer-Crazy
10-04-2015, 01:09 AM
Does two work for everyone? And I'll ask the concierge about parking when I go down today. I'll let you know.
Well I'm playing taxi (and by me I mean my mum because she'll be driving haha) so everyone will be arriving at the same time at least and there's only one car. There are usually spots allocated for hotel guests so unless you guys rented a car we might be able to use that.

Merley
10-04-2015, 09:24 PM
So I checked out the pool and while big for a hotel pool, it's definitely too small for four mer-people. There is parking at the hotel but it's a $45 flat rate. It's not worth it for just parking for a second and leaving. My roomie and I found this public pool today. It's called Riverside Green. It's a bit of a walk but I read the rules and it mentioned nothing about fins or banning them. However, it's teeming with little kids. Not sure how you guys feel about it. Just an idea. Might be easier to park around there too. If not, the beach sounds good to me. It's scorching out.

Edit: I pmed all of you on here my phone number should you need it. I guess we'll meet at the lobby on the second floor and decide where to go.