PDA

View Full Version : Tailmaking while pregnant?

Lily
10-20-2015, 02:26 PM
I took my last birth control pill today, as hubby and I are going to start spawning soon. My question is, can I continue to make tails while pregnant?

As most of you know, I recently started my own tailmaking business and really don't want to give it up. I know people are willing to wait a year+ for, say, a Merbella tail, but I'm nowhere near popular enough to warrant that kind of lead time. There's also a fair amount of momentum that builds up with a business like this (the more you make, the more exposure you get, the more orders come your way) and I don't want to lose that by taking time off for pregnancy and (maybe) breastfeeding.

So... is it safe for me to continue tailmaking while pregnant? I already take all reasonable safety precautions: gloves at all times, respirator with organic vapor and particulate filters for painting, coveralls to protect my skin and clothing, working in well-ventilated areas. Do I need to step this up? I know that naptha and other paint thinners can cause low birth weight and other difficulties, so I'm most worried about the painting stage. Worst case scenario I can maybe teach my husband to paint but, in his own words, he's not very good at the "artsy" stuff. Maybe I could hire an art student from one of the local colleges? Also I think hubby is going to have to help me with the heavy lifting eventually, since I can barely manage to carry these tails around to my different work areas now, let alone when I've got a baby bump eclipsing most of the rest of me.

I will certainly be taking it slow during the pregnancy, and will take time off before and after the birth; if my sister and friend's pregnancies have been any indication, I won't be able to do much more than lie on the couch and incubate after a certain point. I'm also likely going to have a c-section (part due to overwhelming tokophobia, part due to my petite frame and my husband's family's tendency to have ENORMOUS babies), which is going to result in a longer recovery time than a vaginal birth.

Yes, I know this isn't a forum for medical advice, and I'll get the best answers from my doctor. But I like to be prepared, and know which specific safety questions to ask when I do meet with my OBGYN (or pester my OBGYN aunt).

Ashe
10-20-2015, 04:01 PM
This is quite the dilemma for a mer! I wouldn't risk doing any work at all with a baby until you contact an appropriate doctor. If worse comes to worst (I would plan on this being the case) and it is too dangerous to work with a baby, then you will have to choose between the baby and growing your buisness.
Im sure that if you took a pause and started up with the tails again, your business wouldn't be damaged. There are many people who are patiently waiting on funds to purchase a tail from you :)

Firemaid
10-20-2015, 04:23 PM
I took a break from tail making while I was pregnant.
I don't know about your process, but I use Naptha, acetone, and rubbing alcohol in my process, all of these things are horrible for developing baby!

AniaR
10-20-2015, 09:36 PM
most of the materials say on them that they can be dangerous to a developing baby. this may be a question for your doctor.

Mermaid Wesley
10-20-2015, 10:22 PM
If you do continue I would recommend a full hazmat suit and a separate tailmaking area. Or you could train your hubby eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashton
10-21-2015, 01:02 PM
I totally agree on asking a doctor.
maybe work on concept art/sculpting (non toxic parts of the tail).

MermaidBrandie
10-24-2015, 10:26 AM
Def ask a doctor but keep in mind, depending how long you we're on birth control, it can sometimes take years for your body to equal out enough to get pregnant. Not a gaurentee, of course, some women get pregnant just missing one pill, but it can and has happened.

All in all, a doctor's advice would be best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Lieke
07-11-2016, 04:32 AM
Just curious, what did your doctor say about this? Or how did you go about?

Lily
07-12-2016, 05:52 PM
I talked to two different doctors who both said that my safety precautions were adequate, but added a big ol' fan to my workspace to blow vapors/particulates out just in case. I also got a new mask with new filters since mine was an older model, and haven't done any custom sculpts since I got pregnant just because the moldmaking fumes give me a headache no matter what. I was also much more diligent about gloving up and mask-wearing even when just walking through my workspace. Aside from being super slow and tired in the beginning, and hubby having to do most of the heavy lifting for the last few tails, I was able to continue working normally up until the beginning of this month, when I'd scheduled to start my MERternity leave.

I'm 31 weeks pregnant now and kiddo has passed every test and exam with flying colors, so I'm definitely doing something right!

Mermaid Lieke
07-12-2016, 06:58 PM
That's great to hear! Can't wait to meet your little mer

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Mermaid Caspiana
07-14-2016, 11:37 PM
So glad to hear everything is working out wonderfully! And congrats on the little one on the way! It's so weird because I just came to this thread and the first post was about you taking your last pill and now Baby's on their way. <3