PDA

View Full Version : Fin Fun or Grow A Tail?

Hydra1337
10-30-2015, 05:16 AM
A few days ago I started doing research on what type of mermaid tail I should get for myself (I am new to mermaiding). I narrowed my choices down to Fin Fun and Grow A Tail. I enjoy the designs from both companies and with the options I selected on their websites I would be spending virtually the same amount of money.

Essentially my deciding factors are:

Quality
Comfortability of tail and monofin
Speed
Customer support

I've seen pretty much all positive reviews for Fin Fun on this site but I haven't seen any reviews on Grow A Tail.

Grow A Tail caught my eye because of their monofin. On their website they claim because of the materials it's made out of it's uncrackable and "will elegantly propel you through any water with swiftness and beauty."

I have access to a pool to use the tail in but I'm within a short driving distance of a beach (I live in Florida) so I definitely plan on taking it for quite a few spins there as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mermaid Jaffa
10-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Grow A Tail's monofin is a rubber sheet with flippers glued on.

Merman Jon
10-30-2015, 10:33 AM
I use grow a tail monofin and also their tail at times. Grow a tail mertail is comfortable. Another note, fin fun tails do fit over the grow a tail monofin which I use all the time.
When I used the fin fun monofin, the plastic insert broke on me.

Hydra1337
10-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Grow A Tail's monofin is a rubber sheet with flippers glued on.

Do they just attach the part meant for your feet or something? And what style flipper do they use (straps vs insert)?

I use grow a tail monofin and also their tail at times. Grow a tail mertail is comfortable. Another note, fin fun tails do fit over the grow a tail monofin which I use all the time.
When I used the fin fun monofin, the plastic insert broke on me.

Are the Fin Fun monofins known to break after heavy use or was your situation a fluke? Also, would you say the Grow A Tail monofin helps go faster than others or is it about the same?

Merman Jon
10-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Fin fun monofin breaks if it's bends too much. It seems that the grow a tail monofin swims more smooth.

Hydra1337
10-30-2015, 10:26 PM
That sold me for Grow a Tail then. If they're going to cost the same amount I might as well get the one that won't break. lol

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Merman Jon
10-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Your welcome. Grow a tail mertails is cheaper

Hydra1337
10-30-2015, 11:03 PM
I can't wait to get my tail now. I'm so excited. :)

Merman Jace
10-31-2015, 05:09 PM
If you're still debating Hydra, Fin Fun has new monofin inserts made of a polycarbonate material. I purchased one last week and it's been sturdy while giving excellent propulsion. The previous monofin model had many more complaints about broken monofin inserts from regular swim activity, but the new model offers big improvements.

Hydra1337
11-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Unfortunately due to some recent events in my life it looks like I won't be able to afford a tail from anyone for almost a year... That seriously bums me out because I was beyond hyped up about it. :(