PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid wedding

Liliana
11-11-2015, 12:30 PM
I have recently got engaged and have begun some of the beginning stages of wedding discussion.
My fiance, bless him for loving me and my weirdness, told me that he would be open to discussing a mermaid theamed wedding. Anyone else, dream come true?

I have two big issues with this:

1. What do you wear as a bride and brides maids to make this wedding attire?

2. He does not actually swim all that well and can't really work the tail, which is fine, I figured mermaid marriage to a pirate. But then how do you hold that ceremony?!

SeaGlass Siren
11-11-2015, 12:35 PM
I had an ocean theme wedding as opposed to strictly mermaid :P

i wore Alfred angelo Cinderella style mermaid gown number 216 with a starfish hair fascinator on the one side.
my bridesmaids wore nude to rose water coloured gowns by two birds bridesmaids (ones with adjustable tops so they can customize their dress so it suits their body type. They all looked like sirens :P because they were so uniform and they still looked unique. Then I gave them crystal encrusted starfish rings.

Liliana
11-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Good ideaa but if I am going to wear a full dress I have one picked out, and it would be more of a fairy tail/ wooded theam

Saelyyia
11-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Good ideaa but if I am going to wear a full dress I have one picked out, and it would be more of a fairy tail/ wooded theam

So if you weren't to wear a dress what type of concept were you considering liliana. (unless i misunderstood and that isn't what you were implying)

SeaGlass Siren
11-11-2015, 12:52 PM
My advice is to narrow it down to one theme first and stick with it.
i had multiple themes that ranged from rococo to sweet Lolita to ocean.
then decide where you want to get married and what is required. (Do I want to get married on a boat, on a beach, by the lake, a venue, etcetera)

SeaGlass Siren
11-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Wat look do you want? What do you see in your head? When you picture yourself walking down the isle, what do you see? What do you hear?

Liliana
11-11-2015, 12:59 PM
When I say mermaid wedding I mean I and my brides maids would be in mertails. If I can't make that work out I have a back up plan of a normal wedding but it would not be mermaid/ ocean theamed

Saelyyia
11-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Ah okie dokie. So for tails are you considering Neoprene, Fabric, etc. and have you set a date because that will be a factor if you are having tails made. we have a wonderful directory of tailmakers at http://mernetwork.com/index/content.php?133-mermaid-tailmakers and once you know what tails you are going with accessories become the fun part. there are all kinds of fun ways to jazz up merfolk to look formal enough for a wedding. you could do an ocean themed Tiara and shells in your hair.

SeaGlass Siren
11-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Do you have a venue in mind? Do you plan on swimming in the tail inside a pool or at the beach? Details girl!!!

SeaGlass Siren
11-11-2015, 01:36 PM
If it's a one time tail thing j would stick with fabric tail. That way you can display it some way in your place :3 easy to travel with on the day of too.

Mermaid Momo
11-11-2015, 01:48 PM
If you're having tails you also need a way for the wedding party and yourself to make it's way down the aisle/ around the venue.

SeaGlass Siren
11-11-2015, 03:14 PM
she could get the groomsmen to push the bridesmaids around but it would be difficult for them to function and help around the day of... ie running to get food, checking to see if guests are seated, make sure everything is in check...

Liliana
11-11-2015, 04:51 PM
This is the problem I am having! Th workings of the entire thing. I don't want to get my heart set on it if there is a chance it won't work.

I know my local aquarium has had mermaids swim in their tanks before and I know they do weddings. Now if they would actually let me do a wedding in the tank is beyond me

We don't have a date set but are looking for either spring or fall of 2017

SeaGlass Siren
11-11-2015, 04:56 PM
they would have to sign some sort of waver... but there are ministers that do "extreme weddings". people do get married underwater while scuba diving... so maybe look for a minister first.

Elle
11-11-2015, 05:02 PM
I'd go to http://offbeatbride.com, type in that search bar and browse to your hearts content. I did it for my wedding, it made it way easier being able to visualise certain things if someone else has done it

Liliana
11-11-2015, 05:20 PM
See that is my other problem, I don't think my groom would swim anyway, kinda like a pirate on land marrying a mermaid in the water?

Saelyyia
11-11-2015, 05:50 PM
What about a boat? you could them swim up and perch on the back or dock where you could have the alter set up and your pirate waiting for you and you and the girls could swim up and get assisted onto the dock

Mermaid Momo
11-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Is the only thing mermaid in the wedding going to be the tails? Because I can think of a lot of other ways you can incorporate mermaids into it without the tails that would be a lot less of a headache. I think you have to be certified or something to swim in aquariums right?

SeaGlass Siren
11-11-2015, 10:18 PM
I would still look at ministers/ officiants first. Mainly because they can give you the overall rules and regulations about the marriage details that comply with your state. They would know where best to get married as well since they've done so many.

Mermaid Fenicia
11-12-2015, 03:26 AM
some parts of our wedding is already set:
- the official parts will be done in a dress (top an matching skirt)
- then at the party, after the first dance, I'll swap the skirt for my tail and will be sitting in my wheelchair for the rest of the party. As I can't walk or stand very long I will be needing that chair after-all.

SeaGlass Siren
11-12-2015, 11:15 AM
^ i like that idea. why the hell didnt i do that.

Mermaid Lorelei
11-12-2015, 01:24 PM
I had brief thoughts of doing a mermaid wedding, but I switched to getting married on land in an aquarium for logistical reasons. My hubby and I may do a vow renewal as merfolk though, somewhere down the line.

SeaGlass Siren
11-12-2015, 05:07 PM
I'm extra. i want to do vow renewal on the beach or at disneyworld.

Mermaid Kim
11-23-2015, 04:22 PM
I love Weddings! I have worked in the wedding industry for a lifetime on land as a Event and Floral Stylist!!! Have fun planning your wedding day!!! I have done many many beach themed weddings. My husband and I were married on the sand of Daytona Beach and jumped in a pool after it was a hot day and why not...anyway would have been awesome to have a white tail to slip into....just saying! Swim Sip Drink Champagne and Reggae the night away (: Limbo with the Guest!

Merman Andrew
05-27-2016, 04:21 AM
Well you could always do an "Ariel" and start the ceremony as a Mermaid, come out of the water, then when you get kissed you lose your legs and become a land person for the rest of the wedding?