PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about Raven's tails!

PetLoverSpy
11-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Hi! I'm planning to get a tail from either MerBellas or FinFolk (it'll depend on if I could snag one of Raven's slots) and just have a few questions for those who own one of Raven's tails:

1) Do they all have a high waist? Raina is the only mermaid I see regularly in MerBellas tails, so I'm not sure if she specifically asked for this or if this is the standard. I'd want a medium- or (if it doesn't hinder swimming) low-waisted one, so I was wondering if anyone here has one like that.

2) Does the UV/glow in the dark option limit or change your tail colors? I'll probably have access to a dark cavern-esque studio soon, so that'd be a cool option if the tail still looks the same in daylight.

3) And lastly, what's the difference between a basic and a performance tail?

I'm also trying to decide (if Raven has this option I just know FinFolk does) on whether to get a regular or a competitor monofin. I do swim in the ocean a lot, but it's mostly shallow water, so ... not sure.

If you could answer some of these, that would be great!

Luna Dreamtide
11-16-2015, 10:54 PM
Not sure about everything you asked, but I do know Raina specifically asked for a high waisted tail.
And I'm pretty sure Raven just has the one level of tails now - no more basic.

Starfrit
11-16-2015, 10:58 PM
I don't have all the answers, nor do I own a Merbella, but I can hopefully chip in some insight that's been passed around from people who do:

1) I THINK there's a few people who own lower-waisted tails?? I can't remember who, but I'm almost positive that Raven will do a lower waist for you if you ask for it. I think higher waists are more common because you're a bit less likely to get the "butt-gap" showing during swimming than in a low waisted tail.

3) Basic tails are silicone lined with neoprene, performance grade is just silicone. Last I heard, Raven stopped doing basic tails for a while because they ended up being way more work and having more complications than performance grade.

As for the monofins, I think she can accommodate just about anything, but her flukes are really big and moreso designed for foils and competitors so chances are, a smaller monofin would mean a floppier tail with potentially more drag?

AniaR
11-16-2015, 11:56 PM
1. I specifically asked for it, and my blue and she creature don't have it

2. Not really

3. She doesn't do basic anymore

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Ianthe
11-17-2015, 02:59 AM
Another thing you might want to consider regarding the monofins would be how often you're going to travel with your tail. Competitor monofins do tend to be much larger and stiffer than regular/ trainer monofins, and might make commute and travel fairly tricky, compared to regular ones, which are smaller and flowier.

Spindrift
11-17-2015, 06:41 PM
I have a low waisted one and I also currently own two Merbellas - one basic and one performance, although the performance is currently with her getting some TLC </3 The basic I have has a competitor in it but if she doesn't do them anymore then saving up for the performance is definitely worth it :)

PetLoverSpy
11-17-2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks so much everyone, this has really helped me out! I love this forum <3

Spindrift, are the low-waisted ones trickier to swim in, or just about the same? And aww, at least your poor tail is in good hands.

Ianthe: that's the big decision I'm going to have to make, since I do want to travel with it on occasion. I'll discuss the possibility of shipping ahead of time with my parents.

Arella
11-17-2015, 08:45 PM
That's correct, the basic isn't offered any more.

Spindrift
11-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks so much everyone, this has really helped me out! I love this forum <3

Spindrift, are the low-waisted ones trickier to swim in, or just about the same? And aww, at least your poor tail is in good hands.

Ianthe: that's the big decision I'm going to have to make, since I do want to travel with it on occasion. I'll discuss the possibility of shipping ahead of time with my parents.

I haven't tried a high waisted one, but my performance one is a dream to swim in. Everything feels pretty natural, even if it wasn't originally made to my size. I would just be careful about not having it so low that when you're sitting up in it, you're not showing /too/much.

Ianthe
11-18-2015, 02:17 AM
I would think occasional travelling should be okay with the competitor fins, just that there is an additional risk of damage or loss when shipping the tail ahead of time. This might be a problem if you're planning to do a lot of travelling.

AniaR
11-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Every time we travel with a competitor tail for more than one flight, they lose it and its been delayed coming back to us

SeaNymph
11-25-2015, 08:12 AM
Yep, I know the feeling. Last time, not only my tail was delayed, my competitor monofin was completely broken by the airport handling. But it was not a Merbella tail, just also had a competitor.

Merman Arion
11-25-2015, 08:51 AM
You guys are making me worried about my own personal tail. I have three planes to take from Paris to MerMania the 31th of December. Last summer, I took two flights to Tampa in Florida and I didn't have a single issue. But with three flights, should I be concerned?

Rogue Siren
11-25-2015, 10:36 AM
You guys are making me worried about my own personal tail. I have three planes to take from Paris to MerMania the 31th of December. Last summer, I took two flights to Tampa in Florida and I didn't have a single issue. But with three flights, should I be concerned?

You may want to ship your tail ahead of time if you can. Usually the NC mers don't mind holding it. (I'm not speaking for anyone, so you would want to ask them.)

Ianthe
11-25-2015, 11:41 AM
I think in terms of damage to the tail, wrapping it up in bubble wrap, putting it in a sturdy box with packing peanuts and slapping a 'fragile' sticker on it should be alright. However, in terms of the tail getting held up in customs, I don't think very much can be done, perhaps apart from sticking a notice of sorts on the box to give the customs officers an idea of what is in the box.

AniaR
11-25-2015, 12:44 PM
Arion- Shipping ahead can be wise.

I find because it is oversized you always have to pick it up and re-check the luggage. On the way to Florida our competitor tail came a day late. On the way home we missed a transfer because of collecting it. I don't want to worry you, but for me doing international travel it has been an issue every time!

Merman Arion
11-25-2015, 01:31 PM
From Paris to Charlotte, I have three planes to take. Two hours of wait from London to Montreal and twelve hours of wait from Montreal to Charlotte. Don't you think that's enough time to collect my tail? It's will be the only luggage in the bunker since I will bring a "carry-on" case with me on the plane.

I don't have enough funds for shipping the tail. It's way too expensive for me.

AniaR
11-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Where do you clear customs? We were supposed to have 2 hours as well. But first plane delayed, luggage delayed, had to do security and customs then re check luggage and we missed our flight :( you should be fine on the 12 hour wait. It is the 2 hour one I am nervous about. But sometimes they can send your luggage ahead of you if you have a long wait !!

PetLoverSpy
11-25-2015, 08:39 PM
(Sorry for being late, my notifications ended up in spam)

I know all about missing or delayed luggage — every time we travel it's eight suitcases of photography/Arctic gear that inevitably get held up every time xC We travel with delays in mind, so that should be okay, but the breaking worries me. SeaNymph, how was your tail packaged when it broke? I'd like to think it could be avoided like Ianthe said but now I'm not so sure.
Oh, customs. They open our stuff every time we fly, so honestly ... whatever. Unfortunately used to it by now.

I am going to check the size of a Competitor and match it to my dad's camera cases — they're made for fragile material, so that might work.
EDIT: I had a hard time finding a source, but one said 28"-23" or 58-70cm. Those with a Competitor, is this about right?

AniaR
11-25-2015, 10:31 PM
the fluke type depends the size, many flukes are bigger than the competitor.

Ariel Starfish
11-26-2015, 03:49 AM
And this is exacly the reason
i chose for a foil monofin this time.

PetLoverSpy
11-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Raina: I figured they would be. I might opt for a costum-made suitcase to obviously go with oversized luggage every time, depending on whether luggage or shipping ahead is ultimately safer for the tail.

Ariel Starfish: I assume because it's smaller? My problem with that would be that is that I'd prefer a stiffer, more manageable fluke, since I swim mostly in the ocean and the currents can get tricky if you haven't got a strong fin.

AniaR
11-26-2015, 07:13 PM
pretty much any other monofin will allow you to fold the fluke to fit standard luggage

PetLoverSpy
11-26-2015, 09:19 PM
I might be wrong, but I read that Raven's tails — since the flukes are so large (and gorgeous) — get very floppy, difficult to lift out of the water and slower to swim with because of drag. If this isn't true, then I'd definitely prefer a smaller monofin, that'd save a lot of trouble!

AniaR
11-26-2015, 11:37 PM
all depends on the fluke. A she creature is easier to use with a competitor monofin. put a foil in it and it's floppy and too heavy on land.

if your fluke extends past the monofin it'll have floppiness and be heavier. it all depends on the fluke you choose and the monofin.

Ariel Starfish
11-27-2015, 07:29 AM
Raina: I'll be getting a foil in the Angler flyke, scince they don't use a wave or rapid (wich I asked for first)

Mer-Crazy
11-27-2015, 06:15 PM
I remember Ayla (I think that was her name) had a classic merbella fluke with a foil instead of the competitor and she expressed being unable to lift it up over her head without assistance. I know the angler is the smallest of the flukes Raven offers so it may be a little easier.

Personally I intend to do a lot of ocean swimming and since this is my first full silicone tail I decided that a competitor monofin would be much safer and more practical for me.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

PetLoverSpy
11-27-2015, 08:26 PM
I've been looking at the fluke types and I do like the angler, so if anyone reading this has one with a foil monofin, please do let me know how it works for you. I'd much rather have difficulties with the occasional traveling instead of with constant performance.

Mer-Crazy
11-27-2015, 10:04 PM
I think Ariel will be your best bet. And hers should be finished soon so she'll be your best bet.

AniaR
11-27-2015, 11:57 PM
I have 3 foils. they're all different depending on the fluke of our tails. In my personal tail I can still flip it up over my head, it's just not standing straight up like my old one. In the she creature with the giant fluke I need help to physically move it and it has way more drag in water. But both pack up nicely into a luggage. Our mermaid creations tail had a foil too and we could flip it up, it was just heavy

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12042910_1125304874170921_2576876957251084446_n.jp g?oh=c3152d84c9d433cda771d1809c9ec159&oe=56DC281B

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/11082252_1122550784446330_5622590859726960196_o.jp g

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/l/t31.0-8/12010519_1121155001252575_7928593941215390282_o.jp g

Video of the foil in my orange tail with smaller fluke moving in the water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK0Io0pJKdc

Video of the she creature with the giant fluke, and the foil moving in the water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR95tEci3EM

Video showing the orange foil on land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNxQSRi7yTE

this is a video of Iona trying to model in the she creature and you can see the fluke is almost impossible to move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjofSU_6Mls

Felicia
11-28-2015, 02:39 AM
I'm getting the angler with a foil, I travel a lot and I've always had troubles with the competitor mono fin and traveling just because of its sheer size, so with this tail I decided to go with the smaller choices (plus the angler fluke is just bomb) and I'm quite excited to see how the foil handles!

saborigakusei
11-28-2015, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know how the foils stand up to ocean swimming in comparison to the competitor? I intend to eventually be doing more ocean swimming than pool, so I got the competitor because I didn't want to worry about currents.

AniaR
11-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Not great. It isn't meant for ocean swimming. It is OK for paddling around in shallow water but I would never ever take it out deep. Anytime we do ocean swimming I either use my mini splash with the wave monofin, it has less drag and better kick. Or a competitor tail. Competitors are amazing for the ocean. I got caught in the riptide once and my competitor got me out.

I swim in the ocean a lot, and I swim in a salt water aquarium. Thanks to fluke bouyancy issues with foils and the usually small ratio of monofin to large ratio of silicone fluke, it can cause issues even there. Salt water makes anything floaty, float more. Which creates more drag.

There's just no comparison between the strong kick of a competitor in the ocean

AniaR
11-28-2015, 11:57 AM
You gotta remember too a lot of these mers with amazing photos in the ocean have an entire team of people with them too, making sure they're safe

Ariel Starfish
11-28-2015, 02:15 PM
I'm getting the angler with a foil, I travel a lot and I've always had troubles with the competitor mono fin and traveling just because of its sheer size, so with this tail I decided to go with the smaller choices (plus the angler fluke is just bomb) and I'm quite excited to see how the foil handles!

SAME! ❤️ P

Mer-Crazy
11-28-2015, 04:48 PM
I feel like the foil would have a similar kick strength to mass produced fabric tails (please correct me if I'm wrong just trying to find a medium people can compare to) and I know the thing I hate most about my fabric tail is how little kick i get out of the monofin. I'd never take it into open ocean because it just doesn't have enough power for me. Now with the competitor, I tried on merman Jamie's last meet up and holy cow! I was getting half of my body out of the water with that thing. It's probably what I'm most excited about, just having so much power and potential at my feet, literally haha.

saborigakusei
11-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Thanks so much, Raina and Mer-crazy! I was wondering if I had made the wrong decision for a minute, but I definitely think (in my case at least) that the extra propulsion is worth the travel inconveniences. Ocean/reef swimming is what I want to do most of in my tail, and low propulsion in fins drives me crazy anyway. xD

AniaR
11-28-2015, 08:10 PM
I think learning on a competitor for a silicone tail, if you plan on ocean swimming, is a great way to start. :)

PetLoverSpy
11-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Thank you for all the info! Based on this ... I think I'll have to go with the Competitor as well, inconvenient or no. For the bit of traveling that I do want to do with it, I'll be put out in open ocean and have to keep up with animals already faster than me. It'll be a hassle, for sure, but it seems like it will be worth it!

PetLoverSpy
12-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Not a Raven-specific question but oh well: what are the best & worst places to have extra fins? I'm generally careful but not always perfectly in control of my body, so I'm afraid to damage them or even tear them off. I'm set on having at least one pair, but do want to reduce the chances of me hurting the poor fins!

Ianthe
12-08-2015, 12:06 PM
I think pelvic fins (perhaps the longer flowy sort) and hip fins tend to take the most damage, since they are at spots where either a lot of pressure is put on them or can be accidentally snagged on rough surfaces.

PetLoverSpy
12-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Thanks Ianthe. Would ankle/heel fins work better? I've heard they cause extra wrinkling, but perhaps if I ask they be put a tad higher (and just make them longer and flowy) that could be avoided.

I was just looking at extra fins on different tails and there seems to be no set design as with flukes, so I'm guessing we create our own?

Mermaid Lorelei
12-08-2015, 01:50 PM
I honestly worry the most about my heel fins (not a Merbella tail, but same principal). They take a lot of abuse just from the fact that humans will try to use their feet in their tail to move and forget they have fins. Also, the very act of swimming and flexing your ankles can pull on ankle fins (depending on how they are attached), and that can weaken them.

AniaR
12-08-2015, 03:04 PM
I will say, raven has seriously improved how she attaches fins. But I wouldnt recommend many if you're going to be working with kids, or constantly taking your tail off and on. I had pelvic fins before and always ripped them from constantly taking my tail off and on. I decided not to get them on this tail. I miss the look and flow of them, but it wasnt worth the worry for me lol.

PetLoverSpy
12-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Raina I don't think I'd have those problems, but I can imagine how inconvenient they must be for you! I am a sucker for how they look so I'm glad that Raven's are pretty secure.

Lorelei, that's an excellent point about the heel fins — the amount of times I've accidentally stood on my fluke is ridiculous xD I think I'll take the risk of ankle fins (and be prepared to ship back for repairs, lol) and perhaps add a little side fin on the lower half as well.

Thanks for the help, off to the drawing board!

Mer-Crazy
12-08-2015, 06:37 PM
I think the little fins Raina has on her ankles are probably on the safer side.