PDA

View Full Version : Designing a Coat of Arms for the Chesapeake Pod

malinghi
01-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Just wanted to share a work in progress I made for the chesapeake pod. I was thinking of incorporating the motif of shipwrecks, because its a good aquatic image that I haven't used on any other coats of arms yet, and because the area has some historic civil war shipwrecks. Don't know if I want to stick with the shipwreck in the center there, but I like the thick boarder around the whole thing.

Thoughts? Can you guys come up with some good symbolic stuff for your area, particularly aquatic stuff?

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Delaware has a sailing ship at the top of it's flag, and Pennsylvania has a sailing ship (Philadelphia has a history of shipbuilding that some of the Norwegian companies are trying to revitalize) on the upper central area of theirs as well... maybe show the same ship as a wreck in a similar spot?

Mermaid Photine
01-16-2012, 08:44 PM
The blue crab is pretty easily recognised.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-16-2012, 11:26 PM
New Jersey and PA have horses in their flags... maybe one of the native species of seahorse (there is at least one) or rays or sea robins or jellyfish?

ShyMer
01-17-2012, 09:37 AM
I like the idea of having a ship on it somewhere. It seems like the other coats of arms are primarily blue, so maybe we could have a green or sea green as our main color.

Maybe we could keep the sunken ship and have something like this-
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/378153_364931450190498_100000209382689_1645806_795 100816_n.jpg
Sorry, I don't feel like drawing today... sometimes it works, and clearly today it doesn't :) It's just a sketch after all.

I liked having a jellyfish because the tentacles could be used for interesting things, but after I started messing around I thought I'd like it better if it were smaller and lower down on the composition with the boat possibly on top. Giant boat eating jellyfish might make a fun monster movie but I'm not sure I like it on our coat of arms.
Also, it says more about our region that way.

Other than pointing out that the jellyfish looks like something from spongebob, any thoughts?

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Oooh, I like your shading! Although come to think of it, I have no idea what art programs I have on my computer... as a mac, I don't think I even have Paint. I'll have to explore and see what's up. I wonder if the wreck might look better on top (like the Delaware flag's ship) or with less sea floor shown (and therefore taking up space on the coat of arms).

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Ok, I've been making a few versions. I put the shipwreck where the seaweed is on the pod of the South's coat of arms, rising from the banner saying "Chesapeake Pod". The "shield's tip" points right above the broken mast. In the center of the shield, I placed a moon jelly (looking from above). To the lower right of the shield, I put a curving cownose ray, and above the jelly to the left, I put a blue crab. On either side of the shield I put a pair of sea robins, swimming in a circle like the yin yang koi /moon and ocean spirits from the Last Airbender (so one is faceing up towards the center of the top of the page, while the other is facing downwards, towards the bottom center of the page and the shipwreck). Above the shield I included a pair of seahorses with their tails twining together, but I think it might work better with a seagull flying towards the viewer, wings outspread and either rearrange the seahorses on the shield with the crab, moon jelly, and ray, or removing the seahorse idea entirely. Would you guys like me to post an image?

ShyMer
01-20-2012, 08:16 PM
An image would nice:)

malinghi
01-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Yeah, can you post an image?

Loralei
02-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Im playing around with a few images of wildlife.

Mermaid Saphira
02-05-2012, 09:21 AM
This is all I have so far it's still a work in progress
Later it will have a boat in the center and two crbas on either side :)

malinghi
02-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Here's another possible version for a coat of arms:

You guys can still post other ideas and proposed designs. Also, if anyone wants to play with any of the photoshop files that there are stored in, let me know. Also if you don't feel like drawing stuff you can suggest stuff to other people that might look good on a coat of arms for the Pod of Chesapeake.

ShyMer
02-07-2012, 09:20 AM
I like this one so far. Particularly I like the use of the seaweed in the center. Is there a reason for the moon and trident images on the coat of arms? Not that I don't think it works, I'm just curious.

Also-

Have we talked about colors so far? I'd like to have some blue greens maybe contrasted with a red orange in places.

malinghi
02-07-2012, 02:14 PM
I like this one so far. Particularly I like the use of the seaweed in the center. Is there a reason for the moon and trident images on the coat of arms? Not that I don't think it works, I'm just curious.

Also-Have we talked about colors so far? I'd like to have some blue greens maybe contrasted with a red orange in places.

Mostly the imagery is selected to look nice, but they do have a little symbolic meaning. The moon is there cause I think the moon looks cool, and because some depictions of mermaids, such as H2O, relate the moon to mermaid mythology. The actual image of the moon is taken from the flag of South Carolina. The stars are there just to jazz it up a bit. The shipwreck is there cause the eastern seaboard has a fair share of beautiful and historic shipwrecks. The trident is symbol that relates to merfolk, and as a weapon its a symbol of power, but having it pointed down symbolizes it not being used, implying peace. I got the idea from the seal of the state of Virginia, which includes a downward pointing spear as part of the image.

The crab and the anchor are both good aquatic icons, and both can be found in the region. The crab holding the anchor up like that is supposed to be a display of strength and power. The seaweed is purely ornamental.

As for colors, I was looking at the colors of each pod today to try to avoid having any of them be too similar, and I started making a color palette that can be used in this coat of arms. Obviously this is brainstorming, not anything final.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
02-07-2012, 02:37 PM
http://un1c0rny.deviantart.com/art/First-Draft-of-Chesapeake-Pod-Crest-283798877

Here's the link to my first draft of the Chesapeake Pod coat of arms... sorry for the delay... I only just got my scanner working again. I tried to include an image here, but it was too big a file.

I have a lot of things I want to change, as I mentioned elsewhere (the seahorses I want to replace with a seagull, I need to balance out the moon jelly, crab and cownose ray, and I want to shrink the ship and make the searobins more dynamic-looking, and I want to stretch out the words on the banner). What do you think?

malinghi
02-07-2012, 02:59 PM
For convenience, here is the image Joy&Raptors linked to:
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/038/f/b/first_draft_of_chesapeake_pod_crest_by_un1c0rny-d4oysm5.jpg

ShyMer
02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
I've been thinking about the coat of arms a bunch today, and I think one thing I really like about some of them is how simple they are. I think maybe when I was brainstorming for our design I was trying to cram in too much stuff, which made it look like the various parts were competing.
Martin (can I just call you Martin? So much easier to type) I thought about your version, and I think maybe I'd like to see fewer creatures and more use of line and color to divide the image. Not that we have to be like everybody else of course:)
Also I think the idea of the sea robins swimming around the shield like in Avatar is an interesting idea, but it makes me feel like it's leaning on its side because I'm trying to follow the fish. Does it make anybody else feel unbalanced?
Using a sea gull on the top might work. I was puzzling earlier about what to put there :)

I thought about Malinghi's new version, and I thought maybe something simpler would be nice.

I don't think I'm quite happy about the scale of it, and it seems like it's just hanging out in the middle to me. Maybe if the seaweed was used to divide the area more and the crab and anchor were smaller. Not sure.

I don't have any preference between the blue crab or the shipwreck, but this way gave me an excuse to paint a slightly rusty anchor, which made me happy. I won't be heartbroken if we end up not liking this direction of course :)

malinghi
02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
ShyMer, that looks awesome! I love the colors. What program did you use? If you'd like to make changes to anything I've submitted, I'd like for you (and anyone else that wants to directly edit one of the coats of arms) to use a higher resolution version of the file, since this stuff will go on some t-shirts and stickers and stuff. I made them in gimp so its currently in .xcf, but I'm pretty sure that's compatible with photoshop.

ShyMer
02-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks Malinghi. Sounds like a good idea- next time I want to play with it I'll ask for the file.
I'm using Painter 12 for the most part. I have a student copy of photoshop cs5 that my father gave me, but I'm not sure I can activate it, being only a substitute teacher at the moment:( My old photoshop seven works for now, so anything painter can't do, photoshop can.

Mermaid Saphira
02-07-2012, 07:42 PM
^ I totally love your coat of arms! Great job...mine is such a fail LOL O_o

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
02-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I do like the stained glass look of the crab, Shymer... not that wild about the seaweed, though, particularly since it figures heavily in another pod's crest. I think I prefer a bit more complexity, albeit not as much as mine.

ShyMer
02-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Here's a thought-

This way we can have possibly a couple of other things in the top corners, though I don't feel like coming up with them right now. I did try drawing a moon in the top left hand corner, but it looked chunky because of the anchor. It might be good to stretch the neck of anchor so it wasn't so cramped there.

I know it's getting hacked up from all the messing around, also the color's really messy. It's just for playing around anyway.
If I were being more serious about it I'd also use more contrast. It's not very readable from a distance.

I like how it is divided more than the seaweed thing:) proportions are making me happier than before as well.

malinghi
02-08-2012, 12:28 AM
I just realized I can include the high resolution version with layers as an attachment. Here is a copy of the file in .psd format (photoshop document). I think it should be compatible with Painter, but if it isn't, may I recommend Gimp? It's an open source alternative to photoshop.

This isn't just for ShyMer. Aqua and Joy&Raptors, I love seeing what you've made, and feel free to play around too. If you don't have gimp, I totally recommend downloading it.
http://www.gimp.org/

This version has some striped bass on the sides, the banner, a seagull on top, and some extra ornamentation. Just some possible options.

Mermaid Saphira
02-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Thanx for the link! This coat of arms is gonna look awesome! :D

ShyMer
02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
In any case we have a couple different ideas that we can take from for a final. Does anyone have anything they like from the previous versions that we might want to use or modify for our coat of arms?
Unless anyone can come up with an alternative, I like using a sea gull for the top part.

Goodness, I feel picky. Have we had the most fussiness over coat of arms design so far or what?

Mermaid Annariea
02-25-2012, 09:34 PM
i had a thought, what about Shymer's newest version with the outer decorations of the coat of arms from malinghi?
like this (copy & paste for the win) 1864
just an idea :D

Mermaid Photine
02-25-2012, 11:14 PM
oooh! Lovely! It's so fancy!

Mermaid Pearl Bae
03-04-2012, 09:44 PM
I like brianna's idea!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
03-05-2012, 01:49 PM
I'd still like to replace the fish with searobins or flying fish, and I'd want to get the seagull facing straight forward at the viewer instead of off to the side... also, does the chesapeake have seaweed like that? I mostly encounter that reddish seaweed that branches like antlers, and the green translucent seaweed that looks like plastic tissues.

Mermaid Annariea
03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
thanks, babsie (: i was looking at their ideas and thought, i wonder what it would look like if i combined them? lol.
joy&raptorsunrestrained, first off, i love your name. lol. and WOAH, the chesapeake has flying fish?! i never knew that.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
03-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Technically the Chesapeake Pod includes areas that are a bit removed from the Chesapeake, including the Jersey Shore and its access to the Atlantic. The Chesapeake definitely has Sea Robins, however, as shown here http://www.chesapeakebay.net/fieldguide/categories/category/fish (you have to scroll down to see them).

And thanks! I wanted something... that implied playful havoc, when I chose my name.

ShyMer
03-21-2012, 12:22 PM
I found some nice photos of sea robins with their fins open- they're pretty cool looking. I think I like the flying fish too though. They have a more attractive head shape to me.
I like the way the ribbons look on the outside, even if we don't really have seaweed like that around here.

So how are we going to decide on a final version? I guess we could do a poll, but I think I want to see more discussion and participation before we do that.

shanashark
06-04-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm a pretty intense artist, so I'll start sketching... I think that the chesapeake is pretty known for the beauty of it. You know? The tidal wetlands, the oysters, the itty bitty seahorses, the crabs... all of these things. Our crest must have beauty that captures the bay that it represents, right? Let's get to work <3 I'll post the drawing whenever I'm happy with it.

Mermaid Saphira
06-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I love your idea Brianna <3

halesloveswhales
06-04-2012, 07:06 PM
I agree. I love Brianna's combination :)

ShyMer
06-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I look forward to seeing Shana's work :) I'm glad we're revisiting this topic again. Do you think we'd need more behind the crab? I guess if it had some sort of side decoration it wouldn't need as much in the center, but I still don't know...

Mermaid Saphira
06-04-2012, 07:22 PM
^ I think it looks wonderful right there by its self ;)

shanashark
06-05-2012, 01:42 PM
OK, I want part of the focus of this to be that we have a sort of in between with the chesapeake. The Chesapeake is a place where land and water coexists in a very beautiful way, and I want it to be emphasized with this. So keep that in mind- I've got other ideas :]3216

shanashark
06-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Psst... I want to put "Heaven and earth have never agreed better to frame a place for man's habitation." (Capt. John Smith) as the quote in the banner section.

ShyMer
06-05-2012, 07:30 PM
I think the text is a good idea but would be difficult to see- if we were going to have the coat of arms on a tshirt, for example, the text would be really, really tiny. It's a nice idea though.

Mermaid Saphira
06-05-2012, 07:32 PM
I like the mermaids on there! Hey, maybe we could give the mermaids tails like the ones from rockfish or seahorse cuz they r in the bay?

Alveric
06-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Maybe the quote from Captain John Smith could be repeated in larger letters on the back of the t-shirt?

Mermaid Annariea
07-11-2012, 03:57 PM
i like this quote... i found it somewhere on a website i was looking at about ocean quotes (:
"individually, we are one drop. together, we are an ocean." - ryunosuke satoro.

or we could always go with something in latin.
personally, i like "non titillare dormientes nereides". do not tickle sleeping mermaids. yes, i took hogwarts' motto and made it mermaids. because its funny, but so serious too. or instead of mermaids ("nereides") we could do merfolk ("nereios"), since we have mermen too. (:

Nyx
07-13-2012, 09:04 PM
I would totally draw this if I could, but I have no way of putting it onto my computer until I get back from Florida. :<
But from what I've seen posted in this thread.
I had an idea of having a pair of crabs/one crab holding the shield up.
Seagulls (or whatever birds you want) holding a sign that says the quotes (the sign would sort of cover a bit of the top of the shield)
A mermaid riding a seahorse (or crab, or stingray, etc.). And make her tail the tail of a well known Chesapeake fish.
And an anchor in the background of the shield.
Whenever I can I'll try to post a drawing. :>

Krasberrymuffin
07-30-2012, 12:18 AM
I like this a lot. The only thing I would suggest would be the outline of our region maybe?

Mermaid Annariea
12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
have we decided on anything yet, guys??

Mermaid Saphira
12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
^ I assume not...then again I have not been on this thread for a while O.o

ShyMer
12-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Maybe we should set up a poll to find out peoples favorites.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-12-2012, 11:47 PM
I think I like malinghi's idea to avoid depicting actual mermaids on the coat of arms... it seems to immediately complicate things, and none of the other pods have mermaids on theirs. Could we maybe take Brianna's/Annariea's version, replace the striped bass with flying fish, make them a little more midway between the top and the bottom of the shield (they're kinda small or leaning towards the bottom in the current version), maybe bring the seagull forward and have it perching on the ring of the rusty sunken anchor with his wings still outstretched and make his head face foreward (or down or up)? I'm also not sure I like the windows we have at the top of the shield... it seems like there should be something filling them, but with the anchor ring and spokes, anything we'd put there would look too crowded... maybe return to Shymer's original undivided shield, just without the seaweed on the inside?

ShyMer
12-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Ooh, here's an idea, guys.

"For the pod that can't decide on a coat of arms, mostly from an overabundance of ideas"

I like to think the crab is shrugging just a bit, maybe with a Meh added for good measure.

Thoughts guys????

Mermaid Annariea
12-13-2012, 01:18 PM
SHYMER YOURE A GENIUS.

and joy, i think we were gonna put something in the little windows. i wasnt sure what anyone had planned though. and i agree, we shouldnt have merfolk on our crest. :/

Mermaid Annariea
12-13-2012, 01:25 PM
also, our motto should be "non titillare dormientes nereios".
do not tickle sleeping merfolk. in latin.

oh, and a poll is probably a good idea.

Mermaid Saphira
12-13-2012, 01:40 PM
"individually we are a drop, together we are the (bay)!"

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Do the other pods have mottoes?

Shymer, I laughed at the questioning crab display, but I also thought it could be "for the pod that is crabby" instead of the "pod that can't decide on a coat of arms from an abundance of ideas".

Annariea, I'm just not sure anything we would put in the windows would actually fit and look balanced instead of overcrowding the top of the shield

ShyMer
12-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Annariea, I'm just not sure anything we would put in the windows would actually fit and look balanced instead of overcrowding the top of the shield

That's my issue with most of the suggestions so far- if we have too much going on it'll look cramped. It shouldn't have too much in it to compete for attention.

Thanks Joy, I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it.

Seriously though, we need to make up our minds on stuff. We are long overdue for chesapeake tshirts!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
03-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Hey guys, I've been working on the coat of arms some more... I tried to stick close to Malinghi's idea, though I really love Shymer's crab.

I'm considering trying to find a way to balance the upper half a little more, perhaps by removing the trident and the moon and just expanding the crab to fill the entire upper half. I also think I made the seahorse a bit too large (or I need to make the shipwreck larger to balance it), and though it's difficult to see, I don't think I provided enough detail and focus on the seaweed. I do like the gull, and though the flying fish could use a bit of fine-tuning, I'm pretty fond of them as well. The colors I was considering include Turquoise and Silver (Argent), with Bronze (Tenne') and Red (Gules or Sanguine... not sure of the exact distinction) and perhaps some Blue (Azure) details. The Seagull should be white and silver, the flying fish should be silver and blue, the crab should be a mix of bronze, blue, and red, the seahorse should be bronze while the seaweed is red, and the ship is bronze. The anchor should be silver, as should the moon, and the trident should be bronze. The background should be turquoise, and I'm not sure about the edge (bronze, maybe?)... any suggestions? I didn't want to color it until I'd hammered out the details of the image first.

PearlieMae
03-26-2014, 04:55 PM
That's a lot of colors for a CoA.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
03-26-2014, 05:39 PM
That's a lot of colors for a CoA.

If you look at the other coats of arms (malinghi posted them on the first page of this thread), they technically have anywhere from 4 to 7 colors.

TheTempest
01-02-2016, 01:47 PM

Hello I'm new but I saw this thread and thought I'd add in my two cents. Sorry to barge in.

ShyMer
01-02-2016, 03:53 PM
Ha ha, this thread went nowhere. I don't know who all is even still active in this pod who would be interested in having this finished (I only just came back from a long break myself.)

Some forums would get upset about bringing up old dead threads, but we're probably cool here, particularly since you have new content. I wouldn't worry about posting <3

TheTempest
01-02-2016, 07:07 PM
Oh geeze I didn't even notice the dates! Whoops

MermaidMerida
01-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Could I make a suggestion? cuz I love the idea of the coat of arms but the thing is in Virginia and Maryland ( not sure how far south this pod extends) there are islands that have populations of wild horses like Chincoteague Island. I think it would be an awesome idea to add in a Chincoteague pony :)

Mermaid Wesley
01-07-2016, 03:26 PM
What about making it a hippocampus aka mer-pony lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MermaidMerida
01-10-2016, 06:39 PM
why would we change what it is tho? its a chincoteague pony from an island in Virginia aka chesapeake... idk I just dont think it needs to be changed...

J.Nigma
08-11-2016, 12:09 PM

Hello I'm new but I saw this thread and thought I'd add in my two cents. Sorry to barge in.
I love this design!

Sidenote: my BF is a graphic designer and could make the final product super official like if we can come up with a design we all agree on.

I could also take it to my guy and have a bunch of acrylic keychains made out of the final product too so we can show our pod pride!

MermaidMero
04-25-2017, 08:54 PM
I LOVE this <3

AtheriaSirena
05-25-2017, 11:35 AM
This is great!