View Full Version : Melbourne Mer friendly pools + Meetups

Merman Andrew
12-29-2015, 05:24 AM
Hello to all Mers from Melbourne Australia! I am a new Mer looking for some Mer friendly pools in and around the Melbourne area. Can anyone recommend any? I hear that some of the pools have recently been banning Mer swimming :(

Also I'm wondering if there are any Melbourne Mer meetups happening soon? I'd love to meet some other Mer folk in my area, and hopefully get some practice swimming in, since I don't feel confident enough yet to go swimming on my own.

Thanks and hope to meet some of you soon!

Mermaid Adrienne
12-30-2015, 03:52 AM
I don't know of any mer meetups or pools that allow it really... I thought american pools were mostly against tail use? o.o I think meets mostly happen in brisbane or sydney... Id love to host one if I knew more melbourne members and a place though lol.

MerChemi
12-30-2015, 06:13 AM
I know my local swim centre (Monash aquatic centre) allows flippers, but I haven't asked about monofins or mermaid tails before. I do remember seeing mermaids in the indoor pool once, but I didn't really know about mermaiding then.
And I know that the local newspaper had a story about a mermaid in the Oakleigh recreation centre. I'm not sure if she's on mernetwork or not. Here's the story: http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/mary-shows-off-her-fin-tastic-skills-after-ditching-call-centre-job/story-e6frfq80-1226276562230
So I guess if you live in the south east suburbs you have some options.

Merman Andrew
12-30-2015, 06:28 AM
Thanks! I did read a post by Mermaid Romy who said she and her pod of friends regularly use a pool in Cheltenham with a wave pool, I'm assuming its Waves Lesuire Centre? I'm going to check that out. I also noticed TheMermanDan mention Fitzroy baths. If I find a place that works would anyone be interested in a Mer Meetup?

Merman Andrew
01-05-2016, 12:55 AM
Wohoo looks like I inadvertently created a mini Vic Mer gathering!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Adrienne
01-05-2016, 01:18 AM
Thats not the YMCA one is it, Merchemi? I can't remember what its called but its a long time since ive been there... probably 12 years...

Mermaid Adrienne
01-05-2016, 01:19 AM
yeah, be good if we could get a few more to join us on the 20th.

Merman Andrew
01-05-2016, 03:37 AM
Thats not the YMCA one is it, Merchemi? I can't remember what its called but its a long time since ive been there... probably 12 years...
I just checked the above 2 and they are Monash City Council run.

Mermaid Adrienne
01-05-2016, 03:48 AM
i think its the wave pool at narre warren? correct? o.o used to go there as a kid all the time. too far for me to travel though (I'm near ballarat)

Merman Andrew
01-05-2016, 03:48 AM
yeah, be good if we could get a few more to join us on the 20th.
Anyone else interested in coming along for a Mer meetup in the evening on the 20th Jan? It would be at Waves Lesuire Centre in Highett.