PDA

View Full Version : Mertailor Review

Sephina
01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
I ordered a Koi fish colored latex mermaid tail on September 7/2011, I received the tail on February 1/2012. The whole process took roughly 6 months due to several reasons that will be explained later. I bought the tail for both recreational and professional purposes with high hopes in mind. They were mostly fulfilled.

The ordering process was fairly easy, I had a friend help me with my measurements and sent them off. Unfortunately Finis ran out of Monofins during my order which set everything back until November 26/2011 when Eric had messaged me to let me know that the monofins had arrived. Although I had recieved a message from him stating that myself and a few other tails were going to be upgraded similar to the silicone tails with custom monofins. This to my knowledge never happened. I was ecstatic and couldn't wait until I had gotten it. 3 days later I had contacted Eric about my measurements, although my belly button to floor was correct, being plus sized I was worried about the back end of my tail. He agreed to lengthen the back of my tail. After roughly a months wait I was very disappointed to hear that my tail had been painted Aqua instead of Koi (On december 14, 2011). However I was promised it would be fixed as soon as possible and sent off in a few weeks. January 16 I asked for an update on how things were going and received a message that My tail was once again painted the wrong color (green). I was extremely disappointed but figured good things come to those who wait, so I did. I would also like to point out that during this period of time every time I emailed him I waited 4-5 days, then to get a response I had to ask a question about my tail on facebook. He would promptly delete it and email me back.

My tail came on February 1/2012 and I was ecstatic when I opened the package, I couldn't wait to open it, after sifting through the packing peanuts I eagerly laid it out on the floor and tried it on. After a few moments struggling with the monofin I was able to pull it on. The coloring on the tail was very good, although the paint from the previous mis-paintings showed through the silver a lot. I don't mind though because I think it gives it a neat dimension. I did notice however that in some spots where the seams pull you can see the green plainly as the tail was not taken apart to repaint. The tail was too short, and didn't cover my back end very well, and the thigh part was very baggy. I contacted Eric and he was happy to make me a scale swatch and instructed me how to fix the issues since I couldn't afford to ship it back for him to fix it himself. The ankles also wrinkle a lot, though Eric told me that I needed to point my toes out like a ballerina to fix this. It helps some but not totally. The scales themselves do have some imperfections, though when something is hand made this is to be expected and they weren't too bad at all.

I was able to take it for a swim on February 10/2012 and was surprised at the ease of swimming. The colors were brighter and more vivid in the water, and it looked amazing. I enjoyed 2 days of swimming in a pool at a hotel immensely, however on the second day I was dismayed to see that the paint was peeling off in large chunks as I was rinsing it out. Again I messaged Eric with my concerns and he told me how to fix it. However after doing a dry event I've also noticed that after wearing it for a grand total of 3 times for about an hour each time, the neoprene is already pulling away from the latex at the top edge of the tail. There are also large drips of latex on the inside of the tail which rub my legs and chaff them.

Overall I am happy to have the tail, but I was very disappointed that it needs so many fixes and was painted wrong twice. I feel like if I am going to buy something that expensive it should be ready to wear when I get it, not need so many fixes. I'm also disappointed that I was never offered any free items, or a small percentage off for all of these troubles. I personally would never order from him again.

All images are thumbnails so you can click them to see bigger pictures.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Sephina/th_IMG_0013.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Sephina/?action=view&current=IMG_0013.jpg) This shows the darker line of my swim bottoms and how far down the tail goes compared to swim shorts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Sephina/th_IMG_0011.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Sephina/?action=view&current=IMG_0011.jpg) Here you can see how baggy it is at the thigh area.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Sephina/th_419467_10151271350885640_578375639_22758657_115 0204950_n.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Sephina/?action=view&current=419467_10151271350885640_578375639_2275865 7_1150204950_n.jpg) The colors were really nice in the water (this is my first swim!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Sephina/th_425603_10151271956660640_578375639_22760743_133 0064698_n.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Sephina/?action=view&current=425603_10151271956660640_578375639_2276074 3_1330064698_n.jpg) The tail was really fun to swim in, however I found that after 30-45 mins I was really wiped out and had to stop. I need to build my stamina. :P

Mermaid Star
01-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Wow! I am so sorry to hear about this... You would think that he would have repainted the first one if he could repaint this one. Why the Month wait for a repaint when he could have done it in the week quoted this time... It makes no sense. I think he takes care in his silicone tails because they are more expensive and he gets more money to create them. (That makes sense, but not business sense).

Again, I am sorry that you have had so much trouble. I hope it gets to you quickly and it looks beyond fabulous, with perhaps some upgrades or a top or two for your wait and stress.

Please let us know when you receive it and let us know how it turns out!

AniaR
01-16-2012, 09:37 PM
ugh I have a history with mertailor, so I'm going to refrain from commenting too much because I dont want to set off drama. Im really sorry you've had to go through this though, 5 months is a seriously long wait. I've been waiting almost 7 months for one I am having been made from someone else, and I know how seriously waiting is soooo hard.

Sephina
01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
This is my first real tail so honestly it starting to turn me off from getting another one at all when the time comes. I can understand it being accidentally painted the wrong color once but for a second time is really disheartening. I know he just had a big sale so he's probably swamped with orders. But this really super sucks. After this I really wouldn't reccomend him to anyone. Even if the tail is phenominal this whole business put a sour spin on things.

AniaR
01-16-2012, 10:56 PM
yes it really doesnt matter how talented a person is if they can't manage their business. That can be said about a lot of people. I think many people like Eric would actually greatly benefit from some business courses. I dont mean that in a snide way, all the people I know with local companies made sure to get some education in the field and it's all helped them out so much. Certainly a valuable investment.

BengalTiger
01-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Eric wrote a status about painting a tail wrong twice as a matter of fact. Nothing rude though!

RêveD'eau
01-17-2012, 12:37 AM
I feel for you! And I hope you get exactly what you are looking for in the end. I had the same problems with getting a response from Eric as well as getting my comments deleted. I understand that he is busy but don't direct us to your e-mail if you aren't going to answer them, you know? I will no longer do business with him because of that and the way he handles other clients. I believe it is fair to say he takes better care of the silicone ones, probably because they are more expensive but that is no excuse.

koiboi
01-17-2012, 02:41 AM
This is Absolutely appalling. I'm sorry Sephina but im completely outraged for you. I too was thinking of getting a latex tail from The Mertailor but decided against it after joining this site and seeing that i could make my own affordably. This is not a question of talent or workload or blah blah blah This is about business if you cant manage to to supply your customers, who by the way are shelling out half a thousand dollars in most cases in a frickin recession for your product, with the product that they asked for then you need to re-evaluate exactly what your business is. I'm sure Eric's more high-end(read: Celebrity) clientele received better service and care than we few little people but any good business is about being equal and providing the best service regardless of price or status. Sidenote: dont need a business course to tell me that. If i were you sephina i'd say "screw it" and ask for a full refund and pursue another tail-maker with a proven better rep.

-Annwyn-
01-17-2012, 05:08 AM
IMHO I have heard bad reviews overall from the two leading tail makers. I honestly believe the money would be better spent on something like a tail from Shell Tail Labs, cos' at least Shelley maintains constant contact with her clients and she'll give you *exactly* what you want.

I don't know how the "Curtailor" and "Made Very Drab" guys get away treating their actual community like this. I am very dissappoint.

Also: Buyer Beware.

Lotus
01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Sorry, but how does one paint a CUSTOM tail wrong twice? I don't buy it. Sounds more like he overlooked your order or purposely stalled because he was annoyed you altered your measurements. Ugh.... I agree he takes his silicone tail customers more seriously as well- I asked him a question about a silicone tail and got a response in a couple hours... Then I asked a question about a latex one and never got a response. Sorry guys, but 600 bucks is a lot of money to me and after everything that's happened I'm not willing to take a risk with him. I'm sure I'll be seeing some super pissy response to this post from him shortly, letting me know he doesn't need me anyway, seeing how successful he is and all. The sad thing is he's a talented artist, but not a talented customer service rep- which he kinda has to be since he doesn't have a staff to handle this stuff for him. You got that Eric? I'm not knocking your work, I'm calling you out on your inability to own up to your mistakes and to take criticism with grace and an open mind. If you are making major mistakes and falling behind because you are over worked, just say so and take a short break. Is it too much to ask for honesty?

AniaR
01-17-2012, 04:05 PM
*shrug* we're just the haters *rolls eyes*

I was really hoping he was doing better :( I hadnt heard anything from anyone, and he and I exchanged a few pleasant emails when I was talking to Jazz (transgendered Mermaid) and her mom. He was very polite and I explained how a calendar would be really great for her. I was seeing less and less dramatic posts online too so I was hoping things were looking up.

I guess it's more of the same, just hidden better.

A few family and friends have been trying to convince me to commission another tail from him, someone even offered to pay for it for me (I wont let her, lol) so I can have my ideal tail and hopefully wash things cleans between the two of us. But I just have so little faith :( \ive all ready been waiting a long time for the one I ordered from someone else this past summer, and I just can't justify having two tails in the queue and being out so much money and never knowing if I'd get it in time and being afraid it would fit etc etc

HBMermaid_Angela
01-17-2012, 05:35 PM
I have to agree with Aela - go with Shell Tail labs! Her tails are made of neoprene and silicone AND it is painted/made to the way YOU want it to be made. I got my tail from Shell Tail Labs and having nothing but WONDERFUL things to say about Mermaid Shelly. You can look at her facebook, or webpage to see what she has made and IS making!
www.mermaidshelly.com

I wish you the best of luck with your tail, and any other future tails you may get!

AniaR
01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
He posted a photo of her tail, it looks nice. I hope she gets it and it works out nice.

He also posted this:
The Mertailor Eric Ducharme (https://www.facebook.com/mertailor)
From this point forward, I will be sending review slips with all of my tail products. When I receive them back, I will post them on my website, etc. It's time for my customers to see the positive response from my clientele.

RêveD'eau
01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
He posted a photo of her tail, it looks nice. I hope she gets it and it works out nice.

He also posted this:

From this point forward, I will be sending review slips with all of my tail products. When I receive them back, I will post them on my website, etc. It's time for my customers to see the positive response from my clientele.

So basically he's only going to post the positive reviews? Figures.

AniaR
01-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Did you know he's also photoshooting people in March? lol ;) all this stalking is flattering.

Funny aside, I am so annoyed by the deal with issues through FB status ugh. Someone shouldnt have to post a bad review to get help :/

merpirate
01-18-2012, 03:56 AM
Him sending out reviews made me think of something. I would politely ask anyone who does if fact buy a tail from him and get one of these review questionnaire to please fill it out and send him a copy, but post one here as well so everyone can see it., Good or bad I think you should post it. I believe that all thoughts should be shared when it comes to a review

-Annwyn-
01-18-2012, 05:42 AM
What a grand idea merpirate! The 'Curtailor' (Curtail....get it??) has a lot of cheek, doesn't he?

To quote Charlie Brown: "Good Grief!"

Sephina
01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
The koi colored tail he posted on his FB is mine, and I am very happy with the coloring. However I just wish I didn't have to go through all the stress, frustration and crap to get it. When I saw his facebook status regarding the review papers I rolled my eyes because from what I've heard he only posts good ones anyway. If I ever could scratch together the money for a silicone tail I would definetly get one from him, as he obviously treats those with way more respect and gets them done on time. But I would never get another latex. If I get one of the review papers with my tail I will certainly post it here as I suspect the review on the tail itself will likely be good, but the review on wait times and customer service won't be good at all.

ShyMer
01-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Wait- the blue with bronze? Because that looks like and is labeled as one of his silicone tails. Am I missing something?

Lotus
01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I saw the Koi tail on his FB page. Glad he "got it right" this time.... but it got me thinking.... let's just say he was a surgeon or hell, a tattoo artist, and EFFED up twice before getting it right.... "Oh sorry, I meant to amputate the LEFT leg. Let's try this again! ... oh, wait it was the left ARM!! Silly me!! but hey, you're cool being a triple amputee, right?" or "How do you spell Biily? I mean, Bily? ugh...Billy! there we go!"
Sorry, that was bitchy. I digress.
I'm glad to see that he's finally gotten your tail painted, and I sincerely hope you are one of the ones who has a tail that fits right the first time. Best of luck, post pictures!!

Sephina
01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Wait- the blue with bronze? Because that looks like and is labeled as one of his silicone tails. Am I missing something?

No not the blue and bronze one. Someone shared that picture and tagged him in it. It is the Latex koi here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=361993473818241&set=a.132774660073458.23984.130816216935969&type=1&ref=nf

Sephina
01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
I saw the Koi tail on his FB page. Glad he "got it right" this time.... but it got me thinking.... let's just say he was a surgeon or hell, a tattoo artist, and EFFED up twice before getting it right.... "Oh sorry, I meant to amputate the LEFT leg. Let's try this again! ... oh, wait it was the left ARM!! Silly me!! but hey, you're cool being a triple amputee, right?" or "How do you spell Biily? I mean, Bily? ugh...Billy! there we go!"
Sorry, that was bitchy. I digress.
I'm glad to see that he's finally gotten your tail painted, and I sincerely hope you are one of the ones who has a tail that fits right the first time. Best of luck, post pictures!!

I make costumes so I can tell just by looking at it, it should fit. I recently dressed up as Beryl from sailor moon and it is just about the same shape as the dress i made from the picture.

AniaR
01-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Im really happy for you, everyone who wants a tail deserves one :) I hope it's everything you dream of and if it is you SHOULD tell people. Contrary to popular belief, Im not against mertailor getting good reviews. They should just be genuine is all :)

Merman Chris
01-18-2012, 06:47 PM
This is just despicable through and through. Thank you for the reccomendations for Shell Tail Labs, but really Shell and I just want mermaids and mermen to get the tails they want and PAID for in a timely manner. It should be overwhelmingly obvious by now to all that Eric does not give a shit about anyone's tail unless they are some big name client who can help promote his name. It's all about HIM. When will people finally just stop with the "oooooh your tails are so pretty" distraction and realize it's the same as admiring a diamond in a pile of dog shit? He has nothing but contempt for his customers and the sooner everyone wakes up to this reality, the better the community will be. Same with the Melissa worship; these people do NOT care about any of you, I promise.

I can't even stand the sight of his tails anymore, as they are too closely identified with the maker, a rotten excuse for a human being if there ever was one.

-Annwyn-
01-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Chris - I don't give praise lightly. I recommended you guys because you have really outshone the mertailor not only in your work and they way you assist your customers, but the fact that you support the merfolk community (here especially) so fiercely is something that I admire and greatly appriciate!

I am of the same mind-frame as you, now that I've researched into the matter a bit more. What baffles me is this: He keeps a cookie-cutter design for his tails, and they're pretty much all the same typical shape. All that needs to be done is the measurements. HOW can he possibly make his customers wait for almost a year when at best they should take around 8 weeks(theoretically) ? And if he's taking so long on his orders and he's apparently in such high demand, why doesn't he hire more assistants?

Then again, I've heard around here from other peoples posts that he doesn't have the smarts for business management. :P He sounds like he's got a lot of business associates and high end clients, but no real friends. :S

Raina - I agree with you. If the Curtailor puts in the hard work and genuinely pleases a customer, then he deserves the good review.

Merman Chris
01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Aela, thank you I really appreciate that. And to answer your question, it takes so long because he doesn't even start them in a timely manner. You put your order in, he sits on it for weeks, then throws it together at the last moment. Hence the constant problems with sizing and coloring. it's just sloppiness.

I know I come off as a bit rough sometimes for some people's tastes, but the fact is Shell and I care about this community, the other people in it, and our place in it. I am very tired of people in the community paying respect and giving credence to those who hate the community and its members. Make no mistake; Eric and "that woman" despise this community and most of the people in it. There is a very long history of this. Why give them any love at all, when they have nothing but contempt for us that has been demonstrated time and time again?

HBMermaid_Angela
01-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Chris - you know I am your's and Shelly's number one fan!! If I may add, I think the "problem" may lie in the fact that it's not that people want to support someone who doesn't care about them, but in the fact that people don't like to believe that someone they "like" and have a specific image of, tarnished in any way. Once people get a certain standard of a person in their head, they don't like to have that image altered in anyway. I imagine that people's first viewpoint on these people are of course the tails. They are wonderful pieces of art but that doesn't mean that the maker, on a personal level, matches that same beauty. I myself felt that his tails were nice pieces of art, but lucky for me, I did my research first before buying. It was only after a comment that was left on facebook (that was negative toward Shelly) did I do my research into who Mermaid Shelly was. I am so happy I did!
You know I have nothing but Praise and Kind words for Shell Tail Labs! Although I have never had to deal with the other makers on a "business" level, I do feel bad for anyone who has had a negative experience. Shelly made my dream come true by making the tail of my dreams, and I wish the same experience for ALL mermaids.

Merman Chris
01-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Oh Angela :) Shell and I appreciate you so much! We're very grateful for you giving us one of our first shots at making a cusom tail for someone else, and that it all worked out to your approval. It means the world to us.

You are most likely right, once an image of someone or something is in place, people never want to believe the truth if it counters that. People do not want to admit they are wrong or had the wrong idea. It's ok to have been mistaken; I used to be quite friendly with him and defended him quite vigorously back when Melissa was trying to ruin him for not giving her a free tail. Then he screwed over several good friends of mine big time, botched their tails, and did not follow through on his promised alterations to Shell's tail. Then I met more people with a history with him and learned allllllllll about Mr Mertailor. Suffice to say, I saw a portrait of a truly wretched person I want absolutely nothing to do with ever again. Needless to say, his initial attacks on Shell's tailmaking won him no favor either. It is pathetic how threatened he is by competition, especially when we are most definitely NOT in competition with him. We aren't looking to sell more tails than he does, just the ones customers actually want. He is Wal-Mart, and we are a custom boutique. No comparison at all.

AniaR
01-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Contemplating shutting down my online store and taking custom orders through snail mail.
Of course, this has erupted into "nooo" from a lot of fans, but some fans made very practical suggestions. If the work load is too heavy dont take on any new ones till they're all processed.

If Eric is indeed doing these one at a time all by himself, I think stopping orders for a while is a REALLY smart idea, and the snail mail one kinda slows it down a bit too. Taking on too much will burn a person out, and I think it can cause stress and then lead to drama too.

Merman Chris
01-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Jeez Raina, who cares? If he wants to disappear than fantastic. If he never comes back, than the world will be a better place for it.

Mermaid Photine
01-19-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't really trust snail mail. Sure, the internet can be glitchy, buggy, or steal-your-identity dangerous, but a computer program is designed to work. I'd be worried that payments, alteration requests, and complaints would be "lost in the mail." You can safeguard against computer issues, but with snail mail, you can't confirm that things were recieved as easily and you cannot control the mail carrying service.

I agree with Rania that stopping orders would be the best solution to keep from burning out.

MermanMatty
01-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Chris what is your problem??? Everyone else is talking about his work load and form of payment and tails and you're still talking about him as a person... please move on... high school drama is not that much fun to listen to after the first 15 minutes...

If you have so much hatred toward him, get a journal and write daily or when needed, don't publicly bash and hope for someone to be rid from the world. It's just childish. I'm not defending him i'm just stating the obvious. Go forth with your business and I wish for the best for you! But please just leave the drama at the login screen...

I talked to Iona [she took the restrictions off my account, thank you :)] and I'm not being rude or disrespectful, i understand boundaries on this forum and I would appreciate if you did the same.

-Merman Matty

Merman Chris
01-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Sir:

We all know who you are and what your place with Eric is, so pardon me if your opinion is just slightly biased and it is very hard to believe your so-called impartiality. My problem is badly sized tails, wrong colors, unable to meet promises, screwing over good people with no explanation, unprofessional behavior, shoddy workmanship, habitual lying, VERY late orders, harrassing a good friend of mine, and talking shit about my wife's tailmaking. Is that enough for you?

And I am really so sorry if you don't find it fun to listen to, but those who have been screwed by him - and there are many - find my outspokeness rather refreshing. And I will continue to speak for them....regardless of what his mouthpiece wants.

-Annwyn-
01-19-2012, 07:50 PM
:doh: Merman Matty - this is a forum where people can express their points of view. If Chris was praising Eric, you wouldn't have a problem. So stop trying to censor him just because he has (in my opinion) a very well grounded reason for doing so. You must understand that Eric is the person behind his business, and when someone buys a tail from him, they're paying him quite a sum of money and personal service should factor into that.

You don't pay $1500 per night to stay in a fine hotel, only to be ignored by all the staff and given an unmade room. Eric needs to seriously lift his game.

Merman Chris
01-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Thank you Aela, very well said.

I am done addressing this person on the forums, because of their insignifigance in the community and their fealty to one of its enemies. Eric is not welcome here, and neither should his collaborators be. Just because you're dating a hack tailmaker does not make you a merman.

MermanMatty
01-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Very well, then I will begin to express my opinion of Chris and everyone else on here.

I will be posting a thread critiquing their work,business outlooks, and how their company/presence in the community presents itself.

I will not be disrespectful but I will speak from my experiences, as you all are.

Chris my presence in the mer community is actually good, I am performing and have an active roll. Eric is NOT a hack tailmaker, his product is much better than yours in MANY people's opinions, not just my own. But in my honest opinion and the opinion of others I have asked, your hatred toward Eric and his product comes off as jealousy. So if you are jealous just work harder to compete with him. Competition is healthy. A goal is something everyone needs. I have goals and have jealousy of others in my life, I aim to be just like them.

I am as much a Merman as anyone on this forum or in the world is a mermaid or merman. There are no requirements to be considered a merman or mermaid. And I have trained and practiced in my silicone tail so I am more than qualified to have the title "Merman." I can hold my breathe for over 2 and a half minutes. I practice whenever I can. And I keep in shape to do so. If you think you know what the qualifications are for being a merman, please, enlighten me.

But if you would like to discuss qualifications and ability to do things I would LOVE to discuss this further with you over private message. Man to man.

-MERMAN Matty

Merman Chris
01-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Haha, yeah. Jealousy, of course. The easy accusation people make when others are critical of them. As I have previously stated many time, we are not in competition. Eric's goal is to sell the most tails. Ours is to make the customer's order right the first time, exactly as they wanted it. Eric can't compete with the attention we give tails because his volume is high. Hence them all looking exactly the same.

As for all this silly talk of qualifications...I could seriously care less. You're one of Eric's minions, and therefore anathema to many people on this board who were there during the yuku days who remember all too well all of the trouble and pain he caused. I hope you're done now freaking out, as I grow tired of you. Go away.

AniaR
01-19-2012, 10:03 PM
ugh and I here I thought we were handling this well...

I dont think you can critique Shelly's tails or business you've never worked with her or used her tails. Shelly and Chris did work and purchase from Eric. They have nothing but positive reviews, and while they NEVER posted insulting comments on their FB we see a heck of a lot of insulting posts toward any other tail maker out there coming from Eric. Bashing the scale method, bashing the supplies being used as if he hadn't used them at one point himself etc. You say Chris's behaviour is jealousy, but the behaviour always coming off the FB page looks like someone who feels threatened. If Eric doesn't feel threatened, then he really needs to stop making posts to remind people he's the best. I mean seriously, comments about people's tails looking like sleeping bags? As if Eric never started out somewhere? As if he was just born at the level he is? There hasn't been a complaint yet about Shelly's tails, and yeah, they're not Erics, you know, because she hasn't been making realistic tails for the majority of her life. But people still choose her, and other alternatives, because they're getting something they dont get from Eric. So as realistic as his tails are people are still choosing other tail makers because of a lack of respect and communication. Eric really would have the market cornered if those issues were given attention. It's not EASY ever. Because you get frustrating customers, and people who want something for nothing, and people who are never going to be happy no matter how hard you try. But you grin and bear it because when you're being respectful, communicating, and not taking on more than you can handle so people dont have to wait forever and things dont get mixed up- those unhappy people? They make up about 1% The rest are happy thankful people that will carry the business.

There's a lot of anger, resentment, HURT, and lost money that causes community drama here. I think those issues become even worse when people resort to public facebook arguing. You might notice that while I have critiqued my experience with Eric, my name on here is not "Raina" and I do not post it or make bad comments about him on my FB page, I dont even have my review video linked to my Raina youtube! Because regardless of my issues with Eric, it's not my place or his to put supporters in a position where they have to pick or choose sides. That's not professional at all. I keep my critiques- in a critique. In the appropriate section of a review forum. Not plastered all over my facebook page taking jabs at everyone who makes me uncomfortable.

I think, we're at a fork in the road here guys. In one direction: the same old BS, the same old nastiness on FB pages, trolling and stalking of the forums, stress and anxiety, anger, resentment, and hurt. In the other direction, we can all make a huge effort (I know, it aint easy, I've already tried once before!) to at least tolerate each other kindly. We dont have to like each other, we don't have to be friends, and hell you know what we don't personally need to respect each other some people are beyond that. But we can BE respectful. For the sake of the COMMUNITY. The community that makes all these businesses and dreams ever possible.

There's a couple things people just need to accept. Customers are going to be unhappy at times. It may be your fault, or it may not be. They're going to talk about it. It happens, with EVERYTHING. I work my butt off as a teacher. I have invested 7 years in specialized education to do this, to work in a field that is flooded that I constantly have to fight to even sub, I love my kids and I mean LOVE. I come home at night and think about them and wonder how I'm going to make their lives better, brain storm. Their losses are my losses. When they feel like they've failed, I do. In some ways, I even feel like a parent, protective of them, wanting them to be healthy. But there is ALWAYS a parent who just doesnt see how hard Im trying, how hard Im working, how I lose sleep over their kid, how I go home and research how to make their life better. A pissed off parent doesnt care about those things. They just think you're a stupid teacher who doesnt know how to do their job and they'll tell every parent they can so when you have new kids coming to your class the parents already have opinions made up without even meeting you. It freaking SUCKS. But it happens. I can't obsess over it, I make myself sick and angry and then I really do suck as a teacher. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. So on some level we need to accept here, that people get mad and talk about it. Fact of life. Sucky, but true. No amount of FB venting/ranting, forum stalking, or trying to herd people to your side is going to change it.

So what's it going to be? This is a huge issue that divides many of the community. Some people even leave because they're tired of this drama.

Merman Chris
01-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Dude, I'm cool. But when Shell is insulted or disrespected, I WILL speak up.

AniaR
01-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Dude, I'm cool. But when Shell is insulted or disrespected, I WILL speak up.

I totally get that.

Mermaid Sirena
01-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Aniar you just said everything I was thinking perfectly, except one major point. Take a chill pill. If you need to hash stuff like this out, that's what the private messages are for :) Now that we have gotten so off topic....

Sephina if I said this already excuse me I can't remember but the picture on his facebook is lovely and I can't wait to see a picture of you in your new tail! I'm very excited for you and hope the tail is everything you've been dreaming of!

Mermaid Star
01-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Thank you Raina! That needed to be said.. and so well done as well! Thank you ,thank you, thank you!!! Now let's take the high road and get back to the review... when the tail get to it's destination... (waiting) :P

OrcaMatt
01-19-2012, 10:59 PM
those unhappy people? They make up about 1% Occupy Mer.Yuku

Merman Chris
01-19-2012, 11:04 PM
GO 49ERS!!!

AniaR
01-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Occupy Mer.Yuku

with the 99% of positivity? :D:D:D

Mermaid Jewel
01-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Haha spread the movement!

merpirate
01-20-2012, 05:47 AM
How does one occupy a web site? is it like turning a phrase?

AniaR
01-20-2012, 07:07 AM
I think we just all hang out on here. :/ lol

-Annwyn-
01-20-2012, 10:37 AM
ROFL! XD Merp derp!

Mermaid Sirena
01-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Sephina might I suggest once you receive your tail you either create a new thread for the complete summary or edit your original post so that it's all in one concentrated area without need to dig through and potentially raise so of the drama seen here?

Lotus
01-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Good call Sirena! As often is the case, any time Eric is brought up the claws come out eventually and then everyone's in a pissing contest. Sephina, you should definitely create a new thread so your opinion about the product itself can be presented. I think the customer service aspect has been covered. I look forward to hearing how it goes, and as I already said, I hope you get what you wanted and you are happy. In the end that's what matters anyhow. :)

Taniwha
01-21-2012, 04:25 AM
Ah, I'm going to skip past the last few pages (hadn't looked for a day or so!) and just say what I came to say, which is that I saw the tail on facebook, and it looks lovely! Really pretty colours. I wonder if the extra coats of paint (he said there were three I think?) will make it less likely to fade/scrape?

New York Mermaid
01-21-2012, 04:31 PM
By watching whats been going on here, alot of those who have had some previous experiences feel a bit "cranky" when the name "mertailor"comes up. However These reviews are for all who come who want to know what customers have purchased his tails and their experiences. I feel that; though its a useful source for all newcomers and who like the mertailor tails and are thinking of purchasing one, I feel that sometimes drama can happen. As stated previously No one is perfect, but everyone deserves a chance or 2 (or 3-18 etc).

I figure there could be a template for reviews which can better help out new mers and give information without these things happening, you know.

a Template :

Tail purchased-(ie latex, silicone, fabric)

What was the length of tail arrival (ie: 1-5 months, etc)

Did the tail arrive in correct color/ size? If not, what was the issue(s)?

Did you contact customer service prior/after tail arrival? if yes were they helpful?

Overall experience from time of purchase to Tail Arrival:

Anything else you'd like to add?

AniaR
01-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I did create a template but no one ever uses it :P I first made one on mer yuku

Mermaid Photine
01-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Could is somehow be posted above the board for reviews? It would be difficult to ignore.

New York Mermaid
01-21-2012, 05:54 PM
an example Like this form here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGlLTVVvdUpGb3VmekFNaHhfZ0NwWVE6M Q

but the only problemis it becomes a spreadsheet

Mermaid Sirena
01-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Raina you did create a wonderful template, maybe it should become a sticky note like Pandorah said so it would be at the top of the reviews page always so it's easy to find and base off of.

AniaR
01-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I thought I had made it one of the first posts here on mernetwork actually, I'll find it and see if a mod can sticky it, or i'll repost it

AniaR
01-22-2012, 10:23 AM
k so it is here and stickied at the bottom when you just go into reviews. All the tail makers are listed at the top, and at the bottom it has the rules, and my how to write a review: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?85-How-to-write-a-review

I was sure it had been here for a while :p it's just that this section of posts comes at the bottom of that page (they dont move) instead of the top. Im not sure if a mod could move them or not. FYI my review template was designed with free speech and libel laws included with full consideration.

OrcaMatt
01-22-2012, 11:36 PM

AniaR
01-23-2012, 10:52 AM
hrm, that's really disappointing. Hate to let the thread melt down into drama again, but yeah.

Sephina
02-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Updated since my tail arrived today! I'm just wondering if the issues would prevent me from swimming in it?

Sephina
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Two pictures of my tail! I love the color, but I can't wait to get the addition on the back I had to constantly pull it up whenever I swam a long distance.

Mermaid Saphira
02-13-2012, 02:45 PM
^ooo! awesome! I demand more photos and a video :eyebrows:

AniaR
02-13-2012, 03:17 PM
yay you finally got it!

Does it not fit in the back? Additions are really tricky. You need to cure the neoprene first (and make sure it's made from neoprene) then cover it in latex and the same paint as the tail. Or maybe you could make yourself a wider belt? I did that for a while before I got it fixed.

So glad you finally got it and it looks nice how is the swimming? We'll have to have our own mer-meet together haha! <3

Sephina
02-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Raina he is going to make a long strip of neophrene and cover it with the latex, paint it then send it to me to sew on. He offered to pay shipping one way, and he would fix everything but I really can't afford the shipping back. Currently I'm using swim bottoms that have a skirt on it so it doesn't effect me too badly.

The swimming took me awhile to catch on to, and I'm still not that good if I go under the water, but it was all very fun! We wil have to at some point, definitely!

Sephina
03-17-2012, 09:55 AM
So after a month I still haven't heard about my addition and my email has gone unanswered. I own my own small business making corsets and I would never dream of treating someone like this. At this point I'm wondering if legally I could do something. :/

Mermaid Lorelei
03-18-2012, 08:28 PM
You should be able to do something legally, especially if you still have the e-mails. If this is a product that you paid for under an official business, then yes, you have rights as a customer.

Mermaid Star
03-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Yes. You can demand a refund. Or demand shipping both ways as this is not your fault and would not have to pay shipping again normally if it would have come out right the first time. Since this is his mistake, he should pay for shipping both ways. Or give you your money back.

AniaR
03-19-2012, 05:40 PM
since anything I post about mertailor will now get policed, I'll PM you ideas. Hope they work! :D because, everyone else is allowed to talk about things that have to do with im, but apparently not me ;)

Mermaid Lorelei
03-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Haha, love you Raina. X>

Sephina
03-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Actually not long after this I heard back from him, He promised my addition would be sent out by Friday and has told me he will be making a whole new tail for me. I am feeling optimistic about the new tail, but since I was burned once I am not holding my breath.

I was curious, would anyone know whether or not I could attach the addition with a latex caulking to make it seem less noticeable, then hand sew the inside neoprene together? Would this be something that would work?

Mermaid Star
03-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Ether way, you are going to have a seam. You can try and alex over the seam once it is attached, but since it is at the waist ( part that is often stretched and pulled on repeatedly) I would secure it as best as possible and sew it with a machine (unless your hand stitching is stronger than your machine stitch.)

Sephina
03-22-2012, 05:57 PM
my plan was to seperate some of the neoprene from the latex if possible and overlap the latex parts and secure that with the caulking. then fold the neoprene down and stitch it to the neoprene on the inside so I realize there would still be a seam of sorts but not as obvious in my eyes then a straight seam across.

Nim
03-28-2012, 09:41 AM
i Want to repeat and repeat and repeat: I want to swim in my Mertailor's tail but I can't; it's impossible!
MERTAILOR BEWARE