PDA

View Full Version : Thousands of whales and dolphins dying thanks to sonar weapons

Merman Andrew
01-04-2016, 07:32 AM
OMG! I just found out about this! The US Navy have developed a 'sonar weapon' that is so loud it ruptures marine animals internal organs, causing thousands of whales and dolphins to die or beach themselves. And the Navy don't care and want to continue using it!! This is absolutely despicable, as the article calls it, 'an acoustic holocaust'. Please read, share and sign!

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/02/03/u-s-navy-to-blow-up-whales-dolphins-other-marine-mammals-please-take-action-now/

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Kassandra
01-04-2016, 07:58 AM
I can't believe this!

It's horrible!!

I'll share it on my Facebook page and sign it of course!

Echidna
01-04-2016, 08:51 AM
This is one of the topics I try to not think about, because it makes me sick.
Noise pollution of the oceans is a big problem that most folks have absolutely no clue about.

Drilling, testing, exploitation, big ships, sonar, and the installation (and usage!) of wind energy generators all add to an unimaginable din.
It's worst for mammals which use sound to navigate, of course, but as no marine animal can stopper their ears, it's bad for everything.
How many fish have died from sonar alone?

Don't get me started about the military weapon carp.
Apart from the appalling effects of the development and testing, one should be worried where they intend to deploy it in the end.
Because they will want to use it "in earnest" to see what the result can be.

Even if they have to fabricate a big bunch of insolent lies to justify starting a war.
Wouldn't be the first time, more like the tenth.

TritonsGuard
01-15-2016, 07:12 PM
From what I have read, it is not a weapon. Which makes sense since such a weapon would have very few uses. It is actually a high intensity sonar for navigational, detection, and exploratory purposes. However, they are very vague as to why they require it to be high intensity, which peaks my suspicion. I don't believe in justifying potential mass harm with the statement "it is done for our own security." If this were for detecting subs, it would not be a very effective device because it would no doubt alert subs that they have been detected. Not a good idea to tip off the enemy that you know where they are. Even if we developed it for that purpose, What would we use it for? No nation has subs advanced enough that the US would require a high intensity sonar to combat it. My guess is that it has nothing to do with security, but experimentation. To what end? I don't know. Could be anything, but if it is blasting away a mass amount of life every time it is used, they seriously need to reconsider their testing environment (or the device itself). If this is true, then it is very damaging, wasteful and dangerous.