PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Merman Storm

Merman Storm
01-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Hello all!
I live in Southern California, Simi Valley specifically. I work as an aeronautical engineer at a local aerospace company.
Other than being a merman, my interests include watching thunderstorms, hiking, alternate energy (I live in an energy neutral all electric house, and have had no electric or gas bill in eight years), astronomy, radio controlled vehicles, and fluid dynamics.
I first heard about mer tails about a year ago. I resisted getting a tail at first. Talking with my wife, the entire thing seemed a little silly. But last summer, a month before a Caribbean cruise, I decided I just had to try it. I bought a fin from The Two Tails. Even though I got their largest tail, I quickly found it was too short for me: It kept pulling down from my waist as I swam. We got a extra strip of material, and my wife quickly tacked it on. That worked, but in the rush to prepare for the trip, we did not get around to sewing it on properly. As a result, the first time I tried it in the cruise ship pool, the seam came apart. We found the ship sold sewing kits, so we spent three hours redoing the seams. That worked for the remainder of the trip. My avatar picture is me floating in the ocean at turtle cove, St Thomas.
I felt I needed a bigger tail, one that properly fit me, and had a bigger fin, one that better matched my leg strength. I ended up getting a Lunocet monofin, and just finished making the skin.
So far, I have been doing all of this in a vacuum, without any contact with other Merfolk. I decided it was time to change that, so I joined up.
Thank you.

-Merman Storm

hellocourtney
01-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Welcome!

RomanLaveau
01-10-2016, 08:36 PM
WELCOMEEEE TO THE POD!!!!! There is also the California Merfolk Pod on FB if you'd like to join, that's where we plan meet-ups, and hang outs etc.
Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/271568969577492/?fref=ts

Mermaid Jaffa
01-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Hello and welcome from Sydney, Australia!

Merman Sean
01-10-2016, 11:29 PM
Welcome to MerNetwork from South Africa.

Keiris
01-10-2016, 11:53 PM
Welcome to the Waters, Storm! Always nice to have another Merman here! Can't wait to see the new Lunocet tail in action!

bennett999
01-10-2016, 11:53 PM
Welcome Storm

Merman Storm
01-11-2016, 12:06 AM
Welcome to the Waters, Storm! Always nice to have another Merman here! Can't wait to see the new Lunocet tail in action!
I have tried the monofin by itself at the pool at 24 hour fitness. It's very powerful and fast. Ive also tried it with the skin in my own pool, but its a small pool and I could do little more than see that I had something basically functional.

UltimateSwimFin.com
01-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Welcome and glad to see that you're online and sharing your experiences with the rest of the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kait
01-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Welcome from the Great Barrier Reef in Aus :) I'm a new Mer as well, we all have to start somewhere!