PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new mono from SpecialFins

Lotus
01-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Hey guys- I found a company called Special Fins- they are out of Estonia. I am getting the "dolphin" mono fin. Seems very comparable to the Finis competitor, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this fin? You know, before I pay for it. :)

Mermaid Hamant
01-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I have been looking at that fin myself. I was confused as to the actual price though because the website listed two different prices...

Mermaid Shelly
01-19-2012, 01:04 PM
They seem like great fins! Someone is shipping me one to include in a tail I am making for them. One issue to note is problems with Customs. Apparently France rejected their entire shipment back to Estonia for some reason, so its taken weeks to get here. But if you have special sized feet, it could very well be worth the wait :)

Lotus
01-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Thnx for the input!!

SireniaSolaris
01-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Hmmm... interesting. I looked into it, and it appears that these are the exact same as Leaderfins. Possibly same company working under two different names? They wouldn't be the first manufacturer to do so, just the first in monofins.

In any case, that's quite alright. I've dealt with Leaderfins before, and I doubt I'll be using anyone else. The price is wonderful for the product, and the fin itself is fantastic. I'll be posting a demo reel soonish on the community of my neoprene tail in action, but you'll see that there is a very natural flow to the fin and it gives great propulsion too. Not to mention the company itself works very fast and efficiently.

I think you'll be delighted with their product. :)

Lotus
01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Awesome, thanks sirena! I do have a couple questions though- first, what hardness and model is your fin? and second, did you cut it to go in your tail? if so, what did you use?

Lotus
02-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Ordered my fin!!!! WOO HOO!!!! I'll post pics and vids as soon as I get that baby in the water!!

Mermaid Annariea
02-26-2012, 09:43 PM
i have been looking into getting a specialfins monofin too. let me know how you like it :D

Lotus
03-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Brianna, I certainly will. :)

Lotus
03-12-2012, 01:57 PM
I GOT MY FIN!!!!!!! and oh holy cow is that bad-boy FAST!!
The fiberglass is a lot thinner than I expected, but super strong and very very light. The foot pockets are solid rubber, and I got some ouch blisters on my toes after swimming about 30 minutes. I have a serious sinus infection right now, so I didn;t dive with it, just back and forth in the pool. I love it! I can't wait to get it into a tail!!!!

Aquatarian
03-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Cool! How did the foot pockets fit? That would really be the only only thing I would be worried about. Too tight? Were they a little loose?

And would you mind measuring how wide it is? Haha.

Sorry, just got lots of questions. :)

digitalSELKIE
03-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Congratulations Nikki! I might be planning to get one myself; it seems slightly cheaper than the Competitor, although, I'm not to sure how well the Dolphin will hold up to being cut away to a more mermaid fluke shape. Will you be planning on doing that?

I can't wait for videos and pictures, it sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Lotus
03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
@ Aquatarian- The fin is 26"long by 28" wide. The foot pockets fit perfect, if a TINY bit loose. I'm getting neoprene socks so I don't blister any more.
@dititalSELKIE- I am going to cut the fin down, I doubt it'll be a problem- I'm not going to go nuts with it, just refine the shape. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'll have pics and vids up as soon as I can coax my darling hubby into the pool with me.... (this whole mermaid thing makes him a little squirmy) ;)