PDA

View Full Version : Need to find viral video.

-Annwyn-
01-20-2016, 08:16 AM
Can anyone help in locating the video made in response to the little girl who flipped over in the handmade tail (the one that has caused all this bullshark).

Rumour has it that that the mother made a response where she admitted that the little girl didn't know how to swim?

Mermaid Jaffa
01-20-2016, 09:01 AM
Ask Raina. She's the one that reached out to the Mum.

Merman Storm
01-20-2016, 09:31 AM
For anyone who wants the original video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFD2W3G4qAs

AniaR
01-20-2016, 01:13 PM
the mom posted the video on her profile, I believe pearlie mae has her as a friend. She also has a few images she posted of herself wearing the tail showing they're safe.

Basically the mom's whole reason for making the video was to warn parents they should be watching their kids and reading the safety information. It be great if some news outlets would start ACTUALLY interviewing her.

AniaR
01-20-2016, 01:13 PM
For anyone who wants the original video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFD2W3G4qAs

the original video is actually a FB video, it's been copied to youtube.

PearlieMae
01-20-2016, 01:33 PM
the mom posted the video on her profile, I believe pearlie mae has her as a friend. She also has a few images she posted of herself wearing the tail showing they're safe.

Basically the mom's whole reason for making the video was to warn parents they should be watching their kids and reading the safety information. It be great if some news outlets would start ACTUALLY interviewing her.

Do you remember when that was? I'm trying to find it in my facebook feed.

AniaR
01-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Do you remember when that was? I'm trying to find it in my facebook feed.

gawd like 6-8 months ago? We had a thread on here about it, so the timestamps on that thread would be accurate if we can track the original thread down.

Rett
01-20-2016, 03:59 PM
I like how the video plays the mom up as a 'hero' for saving her when in reality her mom was the danger in the first place (for giving her daughter who cant swim in the first place a tail). I know the mom posted it as a service announcement for parents to watch their kids, but the video comes off more as a 'don't buy your kids tails' warning :thumbdown:

AniaR
01-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Well that's how media spins it. The video is just a video of her saving her kid. She is a hero, her kid didn't drown.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Rett
01-20-2016, 08:15 PM
Very true. And I am very glad the mother was there. The media annoys me sometimes though in situations like this though, lol

-Annwyn-
01-21-2016, 06:34 AM
We need to find this video and use it to highlight the fact that only part of the story has been told. And then force feed this information to all the naysayers.

AniaR
01-21-2016, 07:56 AM
It's very possible the mom locked her account down after all the unwanted attention.

-Annwyn-
01-21-2016, 09:24 AM
It's very possible the mom locked her account down after all the unwanted attention.

Looks like someone who has made a bed doesn't want to lay in it. This doesn't help us. :|

Echidna
01-22-2016, 08:49 AM
She is a hero, her kid didn't drown.

the requirements for being a hero are pretty low nowadays...
managed to not kill your kid?
grats, you're a hero.

Most of the poolbans that are cropping up seem to be due to this video and misinformation ("people have drowned").
But it's going to be hard to get through to people who are just reacting to gossip and have no idea that the girl in question
a) couldn't swim
b) did NOT drown
c) was in a pool too shallow for a tailflip

btw, she might easily have hurt herself badly if she had been able to complete the flip, and I'm speaking from painful experience with shallow pools here.

AniaR
01-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Guys this kinda attitude doesn't help at all honestly. It makes us look like complainy resentful freaks. In a perfect world things like this wouldnt happen, but they did. Now we gotta respond appropriately and not just like a bunch of angry crazies who think everyone is an idiot who doesnt see our point or understand it. We've been in this for years, some of us decades. THIS IS BRAND NEW TO MOST PEOPLE. They don't understand why someone would risk drowning.

What i got from talking to the mom, seeing the video when she first posted it, and the context with status and comments, her kid really wanted to be a mermaid, she got her the fin, was IN the pool with her, and misjudged her kid's skills- which guess what- happens all the time by parents everywhere all over the world. The kid was underwater for all of 5 seconds and she saved her. IT DOES MAKE HER MOM A HERO. yeah she misjudged her kid and didnt understand the fin would make it more difficult, but the safety info even on the box is REALLY vague. Just says dont swim alone (which she didnt) and don't go to deep (she's in a shallow pool) and not for use for kids under 5. Like that's it. cut the woman some damn slack.

She posted the video clip with the context that people realize the fins are difficult which guess what they are, and it's not like finis markets them as difficult or has even made any attempt at safety promotion like finfun has. The mom also posted photos of the box pointing out the safety info for other parents WHICH IS PRINTED INCREDIBLY TINY. And told parents to watch their kids and know their limitations.

Her profile wasnt public, but the video as facebook often does defaulted to public. Only her friends could comment on it, the general public could not. When she realized it was getting negative attention she made a response clarifying and even took a silly photo of herself in the fin.

As far as I know no news have actually tried to track down who posted the video or get the context, and that's not her fault. it's not a case of made her bed lie in it. Fuck that. People have NO idea what will go viral these days, and maybe people aren't aware when their content does or how to handle it. I didn't realize you were all such SAFETY or INTERNET experts honestly.

This woman made a dumb judgement call but in the end can you blame her when the information is not readily available or clear? When the items ARE marketed as toys which gives a false sense of safety? And she did save her kid. don't damn well tell me she didn't. If she was on her phone or not in the pool that coulda ended the mermaid world as we know it folks. And a kid dying, or a recreational mer, or a professional mer dying CAN ACTUALLY STILL HAPPEN EVEN IF WE'RE REALLY CAREFUL. How we deal with this one situation really sets us up for how we're going to deal with it and survive it if the worst happens.

I am so frustrated with the general community attitude around this whole thing. We got it reversed here. Know how? INFORMATION AND POSITIVE APPROACHES. Acting professional, advocating, and dropping the resentful snide attitude.

It was only a matter of time before this happened. The popularity has gotten so big and Not only has the effort not been there on the marketing end for safety, it's not like the mer world has done much to advocate until our own swimming was threatened. We've had years we could of been helping shape public perception of this. So maybe we should look at our own beds eh?

The video is out there, it's done. We can argue it all we want but we might only change the odd mind. Disputing it isn't what's going to fix this. It's our attitude and how willing we all are to go to work over this, building bridges, providing information, going on TV in APPROPRIATE ways.

Don't give the media any more reasons to think we're all freaks gambling with our lives, and stop flipping out that people are scared. Stop pretending these things aren't dangerous, that's the wrong approach. Because there is a REAL Potential for danger there and the only way we can minimize the risk is by being LEADERS. Just like when snow boarding came out. I encourage all of you to research the history on that and how hard the super enthusiasts worked to win the public over that- and they actually HAD people die. And look, now it's part of the Olympics. Ski hills banned it for years.

This is one area that's really going to create a huge gap between the professionals who can afford insurance and pool rentals and the recreational mers who often cant.

AniaR
01-24-2016, 03:58 PM
Original mernetwork thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?11162-Little-girl-struggles-viral-video

Original video from original Fb posting: https://www.facebook.com/rebecca.tedderalvarado/videos/vb.1404676572/10207400991088700/?type=3&theater

Mom made a video to show her daughter could do a flip without the tail: https://www.facebook.com/rebecca.tedderalvarado/videos/vb.1404676572/10207439206524062/?type=3&theater

Mom showing the tails can be fun if you know how to use them: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207446823994494&set=pb.1404676572.-2207520000.1453669069.&type=3&theater

Mermaid Jaffa
01-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Girl needs a snorkel mask so she can use her arms to practice swimming and doing tricks. I've tried several times with what kids do at the pool, hold nose with one hand and swim. Its very very hard to hang upside down and sculling the water at the same time, esp if you have to coordinate the tail end as well.