PDA

View Full Version : The Harvest Moon Menagerie's Field Guide and Manual to Mermaids

Mermaid Marius
01-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Hello buoys and gills,

So I have a personal project I've been working on for a while and wanted to share some of it with you guys. Please know that this is being done in good faith that my intellectual property will not be stolen but with the hopes to get some feedback and input from the mer community.

That being said, I had this idea for over a year now of making a book. It would be a field guide of sorts, think similar to the Arthur Spiderwick type deal but it would focus on mermaids. It would be completely fantasy and have less "science" and "anatomy" but focus on a field researcher's personal observations and findings of said creatures.

What I really like about it though is that it focuses on a wide spectrum of mermaids. I have this theory that mermaids are actually a very diverse group of beings. There are fresh and saltwater mermaids. Tan skinned tropical and Caribbean mermaids, bayou mermaids with alligator tails, arctic mermaids that are chubby because of their extra blubber, desert oasis mermaids that can do something similar to evaporating with the scare water sources. But besides that there are even more unique mermaids that live in different mediums. Cloud mermaids that can only live in water's gaseous state and lava mermaids with armored skin.

I've been outlining this project for a while now and I'm really excited to finally start it. I hope that by posting about it here, I'll be forced to be held responsible to finish it (and maybe get some support and encouragement in doing so)

Let me know what you guys think of the idea and any other creative types of mermaids you think you might want to see featured in the field guide!

Mermaid Enhydrina
01-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Oh this sounds awesome. I have a similar book by Ari Berk but it's kinda short. Best of luck!
(And a serpent mermaid would be super cool to add.)

Madison MerFaerie
01-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Sounds really cool!

Super deep ocean mermaids would be cool to discuss as well. Like angler fish-esque, cloudy vestigial eyes, etc.

PearlieMae
01-22-2016, 04:46 PM
Good luck! I started a similar project years ago, but I've just been too busy to follow through with it!

Mermaid Marius
01-22-2016, 09:48 PM
Thank you guys. A serpent mermaid could be really interesting. And don't worry, I have deep sea mermaids lined up already [emoji6]

Spindrift
01-22-2016, 10:24 PM
I love the idea! I've toyed around with a similar one for a while, but never got around to it. There's also one on dragons that should be at your local B&N store :)